Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

McNally posted:

When this ghubDaQ hits 71 kellicams per vatlh, you're gonna see some serious baktag.

Hopefully the Pakleds he stole the cha`pujqut from don't find him first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

Chakotay not missing any replicator rations these days.

Eating with Raoul

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Gonz posted:

Chakotay not missing any replicator rations these days.

Lord he's practically handsome in comparison to some of the others of the era...

And that's not even getting into Jennifer Lien and her crazy mental illness.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CaveGrinch posted:

Lord he's practically handsome in comparison to some of the others of the era...

And that's not even getting into Jennifer Lien and her crazy mental illness.

I feel bad for Jennifer Lien. Last I saw her, she looked like she had spent a few years in the HoboRiker Insane-o-verse overrun by the Borg.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is replicator food as bad as eating the actual food or do they science mumbo jumbo it so it's actually healthy for you

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm sure replifood is scientifically calculated to be healthy as gently caress no matter what it is, so you could eat fudge sundaes all the time and still get a balanced macro split with the proper amount of calories you require, Deanna.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is replicator food as bad as eating the actual food or do they science mumbo jumbo it so it's actually healthy for you

Troi has to specify as some point that she wants a real, full on bad for you version of a Chocolate sundae so yeah, looks like it makes healthy versions by default.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm sure replifood is scientifically calculated to be healthy as gently caress no matter what it is, so you could eat fudge sundaes all the time and still get a balanced macro split with the proper amount of calories you require, Deanna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3qDNnPKSs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. They did the Star Trek hand. Speaking of which, why did Sarek say Spock's name?

Sarek followed in his father's footsteps professionally and was unhappy (wounded, I guess) when Spock left to join Starfleet. According to TOS Sarek didn't speak to Spock for 17 years after he joined Starfleet, and once they were on speaking terms it was another 18 years before Sarek admitted maybe he had been in the wrong.

Spock and Sarek eventually patched up their relationship but you get the sense in "Sarek" that Sarek deeply regrets his distant relationship with his son.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a real-life substance that tastes identical to sugar but the body can't metabolize, it's just expensive as gently caress to make (it's the same molecule as sugar, just reversed). Presumably it's no harder for the replicator to make than real sugar though

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

remusclaw posted:

Troi has to specify as some point that she wants a real, full on bad for you version of a Chocolate sundae so yeah, looks like it makes healthy versions by default.

Looks like chocolate, tastes like chocolate, smells like chocolate, but it's actually kale.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Looks like chocolate, tastes like chocolate, smells like chocolate, but it's actually kale.

Buncha filthy space liberals

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Speaking of replicated food, I wonder if it's actually "not as good as real food" or if that's just grumpy "things were better in the old days" whining. There was some explanation along the lines of "replicated food is always the exact same thing every time" but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to ask the computer to give you minor variations of a recipe each time you order something to simulate that "real chef's touch."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a real-life substance that tastes identical to sugar but the body can't metabolize, it's just expensive as gently caress to make (it's the same molecule as sugar, just reversed). Presumably it's no harder for the replicator to make than real sugar though

You mean L-glucose. It also happens to be a laxative...

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Those videos of people eating Haribo sugar free gummy bears as a challenge and then screaming holy hell from the toilet will never not be funny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

You mean L-glucose. It also happens to be a laxative...

I did not know that! I'm sure there's something you can mix with it to fix that though, or will be by the 24th century

Or they could just eat whatever unhealthy poo poo they want and beam the extra fat into space

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pakled posted:

Speaking of replicated food, I wonder if it's actually "not as good as real food" or if that's just grumpy "things were better in the old days" whining. There was some explanation along the lines of "replicated food is always the exact same thing every time" but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to ask the computer to give you minor variations of a recipe each time you order something to simulate that "real chef's touch."

I imagine it probably takes up a lot of data storage to store a recipe, so while on Earth there's a database with a thousand tiny variants of a ham sandwich it can rotate through, on the Enterprise, data storage is at more of a premium so you don't get the same variety.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You could probably replicate the raw ingredients and cook them yourself and not miss out on much if that's what's going on

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

This is basically my theory as well. The replicated food taste perfectly fine, they're just all spoiled as gently caress and have nostalgia goggles for the concept of cooking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

The technical manual suggests that while there are a few things that are hard to replicate, like some spices coming out mildly toxic, for the most part it's pretty good, and it is thought that people turning up their noses were being snobs. I imagine some of it is that it isn't necessarily full of something NEW, and the kind of people we run into tend to be the sort of people who would bitch about that.

Nobody on DS9 seemed to complain about replicated Klingon coffee.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder what cool new foods molecular chefs could come up with by directly messing with replicator schematics rather than starting from real food

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Probably the worst thing about replicated food is if you ask for a steak you get the exact same steak every time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO FIND MY WOMEN ON THE HOLODECK"

The ultimate loving slam on Geordi. Owned by Wesley Crusher.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The food thing goes back to Charlie X

KIRK: On Earth today, it's Thanksgiving. If the crew has to eat synthetic meat loaf, I want it to look like turkey.

I'm thinking it comes from NASA in the 60s. Astronauts snuck a corned beef sandwich onto a Gemini mission because they didn't like "bite-sized cubes, freeze-dried powders, and tubes of semiliquids." They even had a congressional meeting about it. So once TOS (and real life) kinda established that space food sucked, TNG had to follow that even though it had better technology.
Plus it is always fun for writers to have the characters bitch about food, it is an easy way to make them relatable.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm too lazy to even load my Kindle app to suss out the precise wording from the technical manual*, but the worst part about replicated food is that after the recycling systems get rid of the unsafe bits when you poo poo, the reminder gets shunted back to the generic mass that all replicated food comes from.

* Yes, the first book I bought for it was the Technical Manual. I have really fond memories of thumbing through that book as a kid.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't know how you could do this without at the very least changing the textures of foods.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After every meal, O'brien beams out the unhealthy food and beams a healthy nutrient smoothee into your stomach

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

cheetah7071 posted:

After every meal, O'brien beams out the unhealthy food and beams a healthy nutrient smoothee into your stomach

this is some hosed up space bulimia I could get behind

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Spoeank posted:

this is some hosed up space bulimia I could get behind

Hell, same.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know how you could do this without at the very least changing the textures of foods.

Nanomachines, son!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It'd make sense that it's probably part of why people (who don't neccessarily know about the computer's staff dietary program tracker, or forget about it, because what do you care, you're in Stellar Cartography) think replicator food sucks. I imagine they have all kinds of tricks and alternatives.

I wonder if replicators have a randomizer mode, or some kind of "surprise me," based on your past taste profiles, mode. Or if replicated meat/dairy/whatever "counts" as vegetarian or not. If the steak you're eating is based on a cow that got slaughtered and carefully prepared 120 years ago on a planet you've never visited, just how culpable are you in its suffering?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

It'd make sense that it's probably part of why people (who don't neccessarily know about the computer's staff dietary program tracker, or forget about it, because what do you care, you're in Stellar Cartography) think replicator food sucks. I imagine they have all kinds of tricks and alternatives.

I wonder if replicators have a randomizer mode, or some kind of "surprise me," based on your past taste profiles, mode. Or if replicated meat/dairy/whatever "counts" as vegetarian or not. If the steak you're eating is based on a cow that got slaughtered and carefully prepared 120 years ago on a planet you've never visited, just how culpable are you in its suffering?

That's sort of relevant to modern day lab meat too. Which I do consider vegetarian.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The replicators have over 200 different types of cat food.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So if Sarek getting alzheimer's is based on Roddenberry, is his rear end in a top hat black-clothed assistant based on that prick lawyer who represented Roddenberry and everybody involved in TNG hated?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The replicators have over 200 different types of cat food.

Only cause Data doesn't sleep and that's what he spends all his downtime doing.

:mitt:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Delsaber posted:

The one thing I chuckled at in that garbage libertarian star trek youtube thing was him trying to order food from the replicator.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

The technical manual suggests that while there are a few things that are hard to replicate, like some spices coming out mildly toxic, for the most part it's pretty good, and it is thought that people turning up their noses were being snobs. I imagine some of it is that it isn't necessarily full of something NEW, and the kind of people we run into tend to be the sort of people who would bitch about that.

Nobody on DS9 seemed to complain about replicated Klingon coffee.

Polyester canonically catches fire when it goes through a transporter, so probably there's a ton of dumb poo poo that just doesn't work

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

On the topic of foodchat: how exactly is Synthehol supposed to work? I know it was originally and nebulously billed as "alcohol but without the negative effects", but does that mean you're not supposed to get shitfaced from it? Or you can get shitfaced, but you subconsciously have control over your sobriety and can instantly snap out of it when you need to? Or does it just not give you a hangover?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You just don't get drunk. Everything is O'Douls

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Drone posted:

On the topic of foodchat: how exactly is Synthehol supposed to work? I know it was originally and nebulously billed as "alcohol but without the negative effects", but does that mean you're not supposed to get shitfaced from it? Or you can get shitfaced, but you subconsciously have control over your sobriety and can instantly snap out of it when you need to? Or does it just not give you a hangover?
I think the idea is that you can get buzzed but if you shake your head real hard and splash cold water on your face or have Data nyuk-nyuk cheek slap you, you're fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually completely different chemically and is just being marketed as "synthehol" due to a similar effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

There's also cyclamate, which was the first sugar substitute to be used in diet soft drinks. Of course, they banned it in the US in the late '60s for being a carcinogen, but it's since come out that those studies were paid for by the sugar lobby and they were essentially feeding monkeys the same amount of cyclamate you'd get by chugging 40+ cans of TaB a day, so who knows how dangerous it actually is.