Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Baloogan lives!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cashed in 100,000 hours playing witp

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And already probated again :toot: Will celebrate by playing CMANO

Speaking of I went back and played the first Uncle Mark's tutorial, since it wasn't around when I first learned to play the game. Lost the scenario two times because even with my Lynxes assigned to the ASW scouting mission ahead of my SAG, I was never able to detect (and correctly ID) the Soviet SAG without them spotting me first. On try three I decided instead to manually control the altitude of my Lynxes up to 4500 ft, so the range of their sensors would double. Lo and behold they detected the Soviet SAG far in advance of the Soviets detecting me, and I blew them all up without them even getting off a shot.

Feel like the scenario author really should have mentioned that whole thing about altitude affecting sensor range when he wrote up the scenario. Otherwise the briefing and popup texts for it are pretty spot-on for a newcomer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Drone posted:

And already probated again :toot: Will celebrate by playing CMANO

Speaking of I went back and played the first Uncle Mark's tutorial, since it wasn't around when I first learned to play the game. Lost the scenario two times because even with my Lynxes assigned to the ASW scouting mission ahead of my SAG, I was never able to detect (and correctly ID) the Soviet SAG without them spotting me first. On try three I decided instead to manually control the altitude of my Lynxes up to 4500 ft, so the range of their sensors would double. Lo and behold they detected the Soviet SAG far in advance of the Soviets detecting me, and I blew them all up without them even getting off a shot.

Feel like the scenario author really should have mentioned that whole thing about altitude affecting sensor range when he wrote up the scenario. Otherwise the briefing and popup texts for it are pretty spot-on for a newcomer.

Yeah, they've put out a call for new tutorials, and they've already got a few for strike missions as well as one for air to air.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Baloogan posted:

do italian formations have a higher need for water to cook their pasta in or did they cook their pasta in cans of tomatos
~just grog queries~

[52.6] The Italian Pasta Rule

One of the biggest mistakes the Italians made during the entire Desert Campaign was to provide their troops with a diet which was composed, in large part, of spaghetti and macaroni. Aside from providing insufficient protein (this wasn’t Buitoni Brand) pasta has one serious drawback in the desert: you need water to cook it! Therefore, each Italian battalion, when it receives its Stores, must receive an additional 1 point of water when stores are distributed. Any battalion-sized unit that does not receive their Pasta Point (one water point) may not voluntarily exceed their CPA that turn. Furthermore, Italian battalions not receiving their Pasta Point that have a Cohesion Level of -10 or worse immediately become Disorganized, as if they had reached -26. As soon as such units get their Pasta Point, they regain the original cohesion level (i.e., the level they had before they disintegrated.)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm just dipping my toes into WitE by running through the Road to Minsk scenario. After about the first turn, it starts running like poo poo. As in, I have to right click a bunch of times before a move or attack will register. As one of the groggiest games I've ever seen, I have to assume this is kinda normal?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever made this joke?

BIttalian.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lum_ posted:

[52.6] The Italian Pasta Rule

One of the biggest mistakes the Italians made during the entire Desert Campaign was to provide their troops with a diet which was composed, in large part, of spaghetti and macaroni. Aside from providing insufficient protein (this wasn’t Buitoni Brand) pasta has one serious drawback in the desert: you need water to cook it! Therefore, each Italian battalion, when it receives its Stores, must receive an additional 1 point of water when stores are distributed. Any battalion-sized unit that does not receive their Pasta Point (one water point) may not voluntarily exceed their CPA that turn. Furthermore, Italian battalions not receiving their Pasta Point that have a Cohesion Level of -10 or worse immediately become Disorganized, as if they had reached -26. As soon as such units get their Pasta Point, they regain the original cohesion level (i.e., the level they had before they disintegrated.)

Doesn't this rule not actually have factual basis or did I imagine someone saying that in this thread like 4 years ago

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

sum posted:

Doesn't this rule not actually have factual basis or did I imagine someone saying that in this thread like 4 years ago

It's a reference to a board game called The Campaign for North Africa which was (in)famously so groggy that the Italian units consumed more water in the logistics phase because they used it to boil their pasta rations. Which, uh, makes sense I guess?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

HannibalBarca posted:

It's a reference to a board game called The Campaign for North Africa which was (in)famously so groggy that the Italian units consumed more water in the logistics phase because they used it to boil their pasta rations. Which, uh, makes sense I guess?

lol is that mook in your avatar?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm aware, I just remember a goon saying that actual Italian North African units either didn't actually use pasta or didn't consume more water than German ones. Maybe I dreamt it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

lol is that mook in your avatar?

yeah some friends bought it for me as a joke because I spent most of the week or two after the election drunkenly raging at Mook for being a strategic anti-genius

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm just dipping my toes into WitE by running through the Road to Minsk scenario. After about the first turn, it starts running like poo poo. As in, I have to right click a bunch of times before a move or attack will register. As one of the groggiest games I've ever seen, I have to assume this is kinda normal?

Not really. It usually runs pretty smooth for me. I haven't had an issue like that before. I'd actually consider it one of the more stable grog games I have.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i realized i have a copy of war in the east on steam, from some drunken purchase probably. anyway how the hell do i play war in the east

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

I had the same issue. Run WarInTheEast.exe in Win 7 compatibility mode.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

i realized i have a copy of war in the east on steam, from some drunken purchase probably. anyway how the hell do i play war in the east
Try this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=416086011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=414743397

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I drunk impulse buy most my grog games. I realized I own cm final blitzkrieg just the other night.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

What's up fellow drunk shopper? I too have a copy of WITE that I have no idea how to play after a late night of drinking at home.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Same but CMANO

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is buying CMANO at full price stone cold sober better or worse

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is buying CMANO at full price stone cold sober better or worse

I'd view it as consciously making the most important commitment in your lifetime. Marriage, mortgage and child-bearing pale by comparison.

(JOKE!)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fuuuuuck yesterday I dreamt about checking my email and finding a dev post of a CM style game with an FTL-like strategic layer about Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck's campaigns and now I'm sad that it doesn't exist.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Morholt posted:

Same but CMANO
They're actually working on creating some new tutorials you can download off the official forums that are pretty good.

Asehujiko posted:

Fuuuuuck yesterday I dreamt about checking my email and finding a dev post of a CM style game with an FTL-like strategic layer about Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck's campaigns and now I'm sad that it doesn't exist.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, they've put out a call for new tutorials, and they've already got a few for strike missions as well as one for air to air.

Link that poo poo

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bought Combat Mission: Red Thunder. I really like it so far - Played through the short tutorial campaign, and had a blast. The town assault mission was fantastic.

However, I'm now on the first mission of the medium-sized campaign, my dudes don't seem to see more than maybe a hundred meters in front of them. I get "reverse slope - no firing point" or "no line of sight" pretty much every time I want anybody to shoot anything more than a hundred meters away or so.

It only seems to affect LOS to points on the ground, not to enemy units. If the unit has a hard spot on a unit, I can order my guys to shoot them. But that AT gun that I know is there, because it just took out one my SU-76s, and because the game is still rendering the sandbags it's sitting behind? No dice. I even zoomed in to ground level, and confirmed that there absolutely is LOS.

I have a company of SU-76s and HMG teams out the wazoo, but all of them are useless because they refuse to target anything more than a stone's throw away.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2017

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I bought Black Sea and Battle for Normandy, had a great run through the Basic and Advanced tutorials that follow along with the manual, and then promptly sit on my dick every single time I try any of the other campaigns or missions. Been watching and re-watching the Armchair General tutorial videos, which are outstanding, but I only seem to be slightly good enough to not get my tanks shot to poo poo every five seconds.

I really really like them, but I always wind up muddling my approach and getting my squads murdered and then I exit and try again 10 minutes later.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

That's the actual rule from the game. (Helpfully reprinted in the link below). My father had it in the late 70s, I think his wargaming group played one turn once. It was literally unplayable since this predated home computers and you had to keep up the logistics paperwork for an entire WW2 corps.

http://warisboring.com/the-wretched-excess-of-the-campaign-for-north-africa/

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sum posted:

I'm aware, I just remember a goon saying that actual Italian North African units either didn't actually use pasta or didn't consume more water than German ones. Maybe I dreamt it.

They didn't. CNA was silly for many reasons.

quote:

Speaking about the Campaign for North Africa, when the British troops take Sidi El Barrani from the hands of the Italians, they find "109.000 rations of biscuit, 72.600 meat cans, 70.700 cans of Chiarizia "minestrone" (thick vegetables soup), 3.504 bottles of lemon juice, 18 casks of Marsala wine, 4 of olive oil, 900 kg of tea, 660 kg of tomato sauce, 700 of salt, 2.200 of sugar, 10.000 of hay, 5.650 of food for animals and 40.000 of barley". No mention of pasta; some could be in the minestrone, but no need to cook it. Source:

http://digilander.libero.it/lacorsainfinita/guerra2/40/africa.htm

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squiggle posted:

Link that poo poo

The Air-to-air 101. Note that this is by the guy that does the artic/caribbean/indian fury series, so presumably this is kind of a back burner thing for him. Does explain most of the remedial concepts, though.

Strike tutorial. This has a collection of scenarios and even puts them all in a campaign.

I think in both cases you have to join the forum, but it's not that big of a hassle.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are there any good games about strategic air combat?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Cmano is good but falcon af is still the best hands down. It has the best package creation tools and the dynamic campaign is still the best. You dont have to actually fly any missions so just ignore that part.

E: its also cool because you can create a training mission and park ypur plane and switch to a camera following a different flight and watch the action. Some of the mods may let you observe any mission, but its been a long time since i played so im not sure.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 5, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Are there any good games about strategic air combat?

Games about strategic air combat: Matrix sells Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich, and then HPS Sims has Defending the Reich

Good games about strategic air combat:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory allows you to cocntrol the BoB at the strategic level from either side. There was a good let's play of doing exactly that I read some time ago, but I can't find it anymore. It looked interesting.

Make sure if you pick it up to apply the latest community BDG patch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pthighs posted:

Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory allows you to cocntrol the BoB at the strategic level from either side. There was a good let's play of doing exactly that I read some time ago, but I can't find it anymore. It looked interesting.

Make sure if you pick it up to apply the latest community BDG patch.

Does it work on Windows 10?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Looks like a maybe? (from SimHQ):

quote:

(Technical note: BOBII does not play nicely with Windows 10, and won’t run at all on Windows 8. The release notes include helpful advice for running the game under Win 10, but Win 7.0 is recommended for best experience.)

The latest patch just came out in 2016, so I'm surprised it doesn't, as I believe they have the source code. I've never played it myself, see http://bob2wov.com for more info.

Edit: More from the patch 2.13 notes:

quote:

Alas, BoBII is still unable to run reliably on Win8/8.1. It has been reported
that it works OK with Win10. Investigation of Win10 is ongoing, please check the
forum, both General and Tech Supt, for the latest.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 6, 2017

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Anyone tried Kursk - Battle at Prochorovka? How is it?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I went ahead and bought and installed BoBII:Wov. Here're various shows of of the campaign screen:

pthighs fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 6, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

Bought Combat Mission: Red Thunder. I really like it so far - Played through the short tutorial campaign, and had a blast. The town assault mission was fantastic.

However, I'm now on the first mission of the medium-sized campaign, my dudes don't seem to see more than maybe a hundred meters in front of them. I get "reverse slope - no firing point" or "no line of sight" pretty much every time I want anybody to shoot anything more than a hundred meters away or so.

It only seems to affect LOS to points on the ground, not to enemy units. If the unit has a hard spot on a unit, I can order my guys to shoot them. But that AT gun that I know is there, because it just took out one my SU-76s, and because the game is still rendering the sandbags it's sitting behind? No dice. I even zoomed in to ground level, and confirmed that there absolutely is LOS.

I have a company of SU-76s and HMG teams out the wazoo, but all of them are useless because they refuse to target anything more than a stone's throw away.

That kind of thing can be annoying sometimes. The "reverse slope - no aim point" thing usually means they can't see the ground because there's too much tall grass/vegetation or it's behind a slope, but if a tall target like a vehicle or an enemy soldier got up and started running, they could see and shoot at them.

If you want to suppress them with area fire, keep in mind that you don't need to be targeting the exact spot where the enemy is. If you can't see their exact position, tell your guys to shoot the ground way out in front of their position, or the closest thing they can see. Many of the bullets will travel high and go over the enemy's heads or into their positions anyway. Or you can tell your men to shoot at a hill way behind the enemy position. As long as the bullets are traveling over the enemy's heads or at least somewhat in their direction, they will still take suppression.

I've played through that campaign and it can be really tough. For a lot of it you pretty much have to absorb the enemy fire, go human wave and URRAH and just charge the enemy. Soviet infantry are not very good except at close range anyway. For that first mission, the Germans have several separate strongpoints across the map, and it's a bad idea to attack all of them on a broad front. I beat it by concentrating forces on one point, pretty much bayonet charging one of the German trenches, breaking through and then swarming through their rear with infantry. Then you can burn out their bunkers from behind with your flamethrowers. You'll take heavy losses no matter what, but that's expected. For playing as the Russians, you might need a lot more force to hit a position than you might think. If a platoon of Germans are enough to overtake a position, then you would want a whole company of Russians to do the same thing. If you need a company of Germans, you would need a whole battalion of Russians.

Squiggle posted:

I bought Black Sea and Battle for Normandy, had a great run through the Basic and Advanced tutorials that follow along with the manual, and then promptly sit on my dick every single time I try any of the other campaigns or missions. Been watching and re-watching the Armchair General tutorial videos, which are outstanding, but I only seem to be slightly good enough to not get my tanks shot to poo poo every five seconds.

I really really like them, but I always wind up muddling my approach and getting my squads murdered and then I exit and try again 10 minutes later.

If you want more tutorials and whatnot try this site here: http://battledrill.blogspot.com/

It has a lot of good pages on tactics and AARs with CM.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Since we're on CM Red Thunder, the one thing that always seems to be a pain in my rear end in that game is clearing buildings of infantry. If you can't just dump a huge amount of HE and HMG fire into the building, approaching it at all seems to be a death sentence for the squad.

Also, if anyone is interested in a low key RT multiplayer game, maybe company+ sized, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Kenzie posted:

If you want more tutorials and whatnot try this site here: http://battledrill.blogspot.com/

It has a lot of good pages on tactics and AARs with CM.

Holy poo poo yes this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!