Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dark-tower-tv-series-sets-walking-dead-grad-as-showrunner-1026382

Glen Mazzara of The Shield and The Walking Dead fame is going to be running the Dark Tower TV series. Idris Elba from the Dark Tower movie is going to show up as the same character. You'd think after the savage reviews they'd put the show on hold.

I imagine this will be silently forgotten since the movie will probably bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starz is paying for a loving Divergent TV series so bombing doesn't exactly mean a show won't happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

Difficult People is amazing. James Urbaniak's quiet and calm misery is another highlight of the show

In review he is responsible for lots of misery and pain. It's glorious

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zoux posted:

That show has a crazy number of really inside NPR/PBS jokes that you'd really have to be familiar with public media to get. But that show kind of trades in extremely esoteric references.
It really does. If Difficult People were on USA like originally planned, there's no way it would have lasted past its first season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get to watch Difficult People season 3 with my basset hound, and this makes me happy.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Guy Goodbody posted:

How fuckin' stupid are these [Game of Thrones showrunners]? Just do a live-action Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Throw in some sex scenes, increase the number of hatchet fights, bing bang boom you've got a hit

This and many more. There are sooo many fantastic universes for them to choose from.

My current wish is for someone to slip Benioff and Weiss a copy of Dune. If there's any universe that would make a great HBO long form GoT-esque serial drama with labyrinthian machinations, plans within plans, beautiful scenery, and cool fights it's Dune. Dune was GoT before GoT was GoT.

This seems like such an obvious no-brainer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe give it to people who can actually handle sprawling machinations, and not the guys who poo poo the bed when they ran out of GRRM material to adapt.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was dissatisfied with the change in writing quality after running out of source material aswell, but as far as GoT-esque shows go B&W are still a pretty obvious suggestion. I'm sure there are alternatives, maybe whoever did Rome? But I can't think of a lot of giant production, filmed on location, shows like GoT off the top of my head. For all their problems B&W are probably among the most experienced.

I mean, I just want Dune in a GoT style show, so B&W seemed like the obvious choice. But I'm certainly open to better alternatives.

e: vvv read this as "adult breastfeeding" and assumed it was from the expanded universe.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 4, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stop trying to make Dune. Sand is boring. Imagine a whole show that takes place in Essos only.

Adult beefswelling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

McSpanky posted:

I've had The Dick Van Dyke Show on in the background for the last three days so referring to anything in color as an older sitcom is kinda throwing me, but it's certainly put this laugh track discussion into perspective.

I know the feeling. My afternoon background noise is Bonanza, The Big Valley, Gunsmoke and The Rifleman (because it's that or talk shows at that time of day) and I need to take a step back to remember it's 2017 by the evening.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

-Blackadder- posted:

I was dissatisfied with the change in writing quality after running out of source material aswell, but as far as GoT-esque shows go B&W are still a pretty obvious suggestion. I'm sure there are alternatives, maybe whoever did Rome? But I can't think of a lot of giant production, filmed on location, shows like GoT off the top of my head. For all their problems B&W are probably among the most experienced.

Fair enough. After I posted I thought, Dune is finished at least. Assuming they stayed close-ish to the source material, it could work. But even when they still had aSoIaF material to work with they injected some pretty dumb poo poo of their own into the show.

But for a production of that scale, they definitely have the right experience wrangling a crew.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
NBC is apparently so pleased with the revived Will & Grace that they've made offers to the creators of the West Wing, The Office, ER, and 30 Rock to just bring those shows back. None of them have accepted.

And by made offers, I mean Bob Greenblatt apparently just bugs these people about it whenever he gets the chance. Like, "Hey, Tina Fey, wanna do some more 30 Rock?"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
"More 30 rock? After you passed on my current show that is doing really well on Netflix? Yeah let me get back to you on that."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
... the creator of ER is dead. Are they holding seances to try and summon Michael Crichton back?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wheel of Time poo poo its own bed, but given a GoT level budget, it could be a great few seasons. Its badass stone killers, quirky rogues, and poly-amorous love triangles squares would be right at home on HBO and people would eat it up.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TV Zombie posted:

Going through Jusice League and Justice League Unlimited because it's leaving Netflix in August and man, it's held up so well.

Can you guys recommend some of the good standout episodes? I'd like to check it out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Wheel of Time poo poo its own bed, but given a GoT level budget, it could be a great few seasons. Its badass stone killers, quirky rogues, and poly-amorous love triangles squares would be right at home on HBO and people would eat it up.

Wheel of Time just got shopped around and Sony Pictures Television picked it up.

We may see Nynaeve tug on her braid 10 times an episode sooner than you think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Wheel of Time's "okay, so the main character is married to three women, who are all best friends and cool with it" was really silly, especially since Rand is the least charismatic/interesting guy in the books. And gently caress right off with that ending.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The Wheel of Time's "okay, so the main character is married to three women, who are all best friends and cool with it" was really silly, especially since Rand is the least charismatic/interesting guy in the books. And gently caress right off with that ending.

Yeah, I last read it as a teenager. I didn't makeit past book 9,

That aspect was pretty bad, but it helped that all three of them were great characters, way better than Rand.

Being literally twice as old now, the whole polyamory aspect seems way less bold an way more exploitative. When I was a virgin 14-year-old, I thought that "what if more than one woman was in love with the hero, but they were all mature enough to no be stereo-typically jealous" was a big deal. Now I'm like "wow, and old white guy wrote a book where every attractive women from every corner of his fiction world wants to bang his protagnist. And they don't mind if he bangs the other ones..." and it seems like the shallowest, lamest, poo poo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Stop trying to make Dune. Sand is boring. Imagine a whole show that takes place in Essos only.

Adult beefswelling.

I can't imagine a person with an avatar of Big Jeffrey would have an opinion this basic. :colbert: Dune up to The God-Emperor of Dune would be an incredible story to put into an anthology-style series. You could get five excellent 12 episode seasons out of those books.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

NBC is apparently so pleased with the revived Will & Grace that they've made offers to the creators of the West Wing, The Office, ER, and 30 Rock to just bring those shows back. None of them have accepted.

And by made offers, I mean Bob Greenblatt apparently just bugs these people about it whenever he gets the chance. Like, "Hey, Tina Fey, wanna do some more 30 Rock?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I love the Muppets and always will but let's be real here, most people did not give a poo poo about the Muppets prior to that movie
This is inaccurate

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Comrade Detective is alright.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I don't know about your area, but where I live CBS is available on PlayStation Vue.

Although I decided to give Sling another try since they offered me another trial week begging me to come back, and boy have they improved their interface. Starting up in 2-3 seconds instead of Vue's 30-60 with crashing immediately 50% of the time is refreshing too.

CBS is blacked out on the streaming services here, except maybe Hulu recently, not sure. I'm considering switching from Vue in any case when they do their price hike.

And my apartment faces Northwest so I can't get an ota signal from DC or Baltimore.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... the creator of ER is dead. Are they holding seances to try and summon Michael Crichton back?

ER would be better off without Crichton involved, as "modern" Crichton would probably introduce a strawman character to County General who was both a pedophile and a climate change hysteric. Named after the first guy to give the revival a middling review, naturally.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you guys recommend some of the good standout episodes? I'd like to check it out.

The early standout in the first season of Justice League is Legends (eps 16-17). Season two is chock full of great stories: Twilight (eps 1-2), A Better World (eps 11-12), Hereafter (eps 19-20), and Starcrossed (eps 24-26).

Justice League Unlimited dropped the two-three episode mini-arcs for more individual stories. "For the Man Who Has Everything" brings me to tears every time I watch it/ "The Greatest Story Never Told", "The Return", and "Clash" are great standalone episodes. The best stretch is the four episode arc from "Question Authority" to "Divided We Fall". For these, you should also watch "Ultimatum", "Dark Heart", and "The Doomsday Sanction".

Unlimited's last season gets pretty serialized but two standouts are "Flash and Substance" and "The Great Brain Robbery".

But really, watch it all if you enjoy the above recommendations. It's all great (and drops tons of nods for hardcore comic nerds).

Edit: When you get to Epilogue at the end of Unlimited season 2, save it for after season 3. It was made when they didn't think they were going to get another season and serves as an endcap to the entire DC animated universe.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 4, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Turns out we really regret killing all of our good shows and though you've all moved on to bigger and better, can you please come back to us?"

I can't see Tina or Aaron coming back to broadcast ever now that they've experienced the freedom and budgets that HBO/Netflix offer.

-Blackadder- posted:

Any of the Flash-focused episodes are fun, with "The Great Brain Robbery" being my personal favorite.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 4, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quote is not edit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"My fellow bad guys!"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lelandjs posted:

I can't see Tina or Aaron coming back to broadcast ever now that they've experienced the freedom and budgets that HBO/Netflix offer.

Tina is already back on NBC with Great News. Last season as exec producer and the upcoming one both as EP and co-starring.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did yall watch Castlevania

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for the Justice League episode info.

Just got back into town and caught up on the thread, much thanks to whomever recommended Ozark, it's great so far. Jason Bateman really is a great lead.

Also caught up on GoT, The Strain, and The Mist (ugh). Will catch up with Preacher as well soon. Also might take a look at Penny Dreadful, Riverdale, Wynonna Earp, and Snowfall based on the suggestions here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Riverdale is pretty great.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for the Justice League episode info.

Just got back into town and caught up on the thread, much thanks to whomever recommended Ozark, it's great so far. Jason Bateman really is a great lead.

Also caught up on GoT, The Strain, and The Mist (ugh). Will catch up with Preacher as well soon. Also might take a look at Penny Dreadful, Riverdale, Wynonna Earp, and Snowfall based on the suggestions here.

Penny Dreadful is so good. They let the actors go hogwild and it just works.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I decided to watch random Frasier and holy poo poo the episode where Diane shows her play to Frasier is so money

Because you have made a pact ... with Beelzebub! And her name is MARY ANN!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Youtube Red is making a Karate Kid sequel series with William Zabka and Ralph Macchio, so uh enjoy that I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Youtube Red is making a Karate Kid sequel series with William Zabka and Ralph Macchio, so uh enjoy that I guess.

Was Peak TV always supposed to morph into something more like Peak Oil?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Peak TV evolves into puke TV!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
TV was actually always terrible, peak TV was a lie told to you by FX and AMC's marketing departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like TV, personally.

• Locked thread