Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Roland and Jake depart into the crowds of New York City to have more adventures five minutes after Roland kills the Man in Black by shooting a bullet through his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ But do they stop/cause 9/11?

Bubble Bobby posted:

__________________________________no

BOOOOOO!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No, Roland never has to make a single difficult choice and Jake is The Chosen One.

So no Tull/Alice then? That's too bad because Randal's trap was awesome and would have translated really well to film in the right hands.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I can't believe Stephen King would lie to us about this being a good adaptation.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

readingatwork posted:

So no Tull/Alice then? That's too bad because Randal's trap was awesome and would have translated really well to film in the right hands.

Yeah there's nothing like that stuff here. It's a very, very sanitized movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RedSpider posted:

I hope this film ends Idris Elba's career.

I hope Idris Elba ends your career.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I had tried several times to get into The Dark Tower but it never clicked and so I put it off waiting until I was in the right mood. This may set me back from trying again for a long time. It's not awful but it feels like a generally forgettable YA movie adaptation of something. Not as terrible as Vampire Academy but worse than the Divergent movies. Maybe on the same tier as The Giver?

It's somewhat surprisingly undetailed. The opening few minutes felt pretty good and made me think of those 80s fantasy movies with kid protagonists (in a good way). And then they change location and becomes kind of bland and low effort. There's just not a lot to be intriguing or wish you could learn more about. The Man in Black is supposed to be a bad dude but he's very PG. You'll see some anachronistic stuff and people that seem like they were supposed to be important but beyond your initial "wait...what?" they don't invest much to make you want to learn more and the people don't do anything. The overall world is simultaneously aged but surprisingly clean and fresh off the rack. Almost feels like a TV production before TV got cinematic or something.

Looking back, I think the bad guy should have felt like the bad guy from Lord of Illusions and the world should have felt like The Book of Eli. But it just couldn't.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Dark Weasel posted:

Roland and Jake depart into the crowds of New York City to have more adventures five minutes after Roland kills the Man in Black by shooting a bullet through his head

And just like that I think I'll skip this movie in theaters. What the gently caress

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I laughed when Roland teaches Jake how to use guns and then takes the gun back and never lets him use it in battle.

I still can't get over The Man in Black holding a hockey puck to Jake's head to read his midichlorian levels to see that he's the Chosen One.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 4, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The funniest thing about this cycle of Roland is that he's obsessed with Walter instead of the Tower which apparently made him into a giant creampuff as opposed to anything resembling the first two books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mantis42 posted:

I can't believe Stephen King would lie to us about this being a good adaptation.

Stephen King told everybody that the TV Show Under the Dome was good.

You know, the show everyone in TV IV called "Under the Dumb".

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Darko posted:

The funniest thing about this cycle of Roland is that he's obsessed with Walter instead of the Tower which apparently made him into a giant creampuff as opposed to anything resembling the first two books.

It took a pep talk from a sad teenager to get Roland to even begin to care about the Tower, but hey, we get to focus the camera on a Pennywise sign for ten seconds for no reason.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RedSpider posted:

I hope this film ends Idris Elba's career.

A lot of the reviews have been saying that Elba's performance is one of few positive aspects of the movie, so he'll probably walk away from this smelling like roses. Even McConaughey's Walter is being called well done, if played a bit safe.

Dark Weasel posted:

Given that the Gunslinger novel (at least the OG version, I haven't read the revised one from a few years back) ends with Roland finding Walter's skull on the beach after their palaver, this kind of makes sense. Pretty good way of establishing how persistent Walter is and the lengths he'll go to fake Roland out of his quest. However, I'm surprised that there's no mid or after credits scene of Walter's corpse sitting up or opening his eyes and saying something along the line of "you didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?" , or literally anything else to set up that dynamic of Walter's character. Maybe they're saving that for the sequel we're never going to get. It makes sense in the context of all the information we have about the muddled production, the desire to play it safe, and the difficulty in finding a sweet spot of pleasing readers while accommodating new audiences.

Actually bummed that we're never going to get the "go then; there are other worlds than these" sequence and subsequent storyline though. Why cobble together all these disparate elements but leave out one of SK's best written scenes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Actually bummed that we're never going to get the "go then; there are other worlds than these" sequence and subsequent storyline though. Why cobble together all these disparate elements but leave out one of SK's best written scenes.

Susannah loving an invisible demon to distract it while Roland and Eddie pull Jake out of a house that is trying to eat him is probably something they'll have a hard time putting on film.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
It was better than Valerian.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Dark Weasel posted:

Wait. So if this had been successful then the next movies would not have Flagg in them?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It was better than Valerian.

A bar set so low it is resting on the floor.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deadulus posted:

Wait. So if this had been successful then the next movies would not have Flagg in them?

There's enough nonsense magic in this movie that they could do whatever they wanted, but yeah, it ends cleanly with the bad guys defeated and the world saved.

The movie's super sanitized violence is still the weirdest thing to me. Man in Black commands some people to kill each other and we get to hear some light furniture clattering in the background. Don't see a single punch thrown, don't see any aftermath, no one ultimately cares. Scenes like this completely neuter him as a threat.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mantis42 posted:

I mean I could realistically see how having your magnum opus be adapted to film could give you a bad case of fanboy glasses. Also, the man directed Maximum Overdrive, for god's sake.

Which I love, don't get me wrong. But it's not the product of a sane mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
King also hated Kubrick's The Shining. Kinda understandable, because The Shining was written almost autobiographically and so the changes Kubrick made to the Jack Torrance character were a personal thing for King. Regardless, he's not really shown he's able to see adaptations of his work objectively.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always thought his opinion of The Shining was the opposite of true. The book really piles on that Jack is a violent piece of poo poo from the first page.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I always thought his opinion of The Shining was the opposite of true. The book really piles on that Jack is a violent piece of poo poo from the first page.

Book Jack is a piece of poo poo who genuinely loves his family and is eventually redeemed by overcoming enough to sacrifice himself for them.
Movie Jack doesn't do the second part and for an alcoholic and someone who is partially autobiographical that can be a pretty harsh blow to remove the slight redemption of the character.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Steve2911 posted:

It does, but it also goes to some length - especially in the "Up on the Roof" chapter - to show that he's aware of it, hates himself for it, and is finally willing to admit to himself that he needs to change his behavior. That's what makes him such a good and tragic character; if he hadn't come to the Overlook, he probably would have come to some peace with himself and become a better person.

Jack, and Larry Underwood from The Stand, are some of King's best characters, because they start off lovely in a way that isn't, like, comically evil; they're just selfish people who don't understand or accept that the things they do hurt other people. It's human, and insightful, in a way that most people can't write about.

But Nicholson goes nuts like, what, half an hour into the movie? Looking creepy over the hedge maze model? He's totally unsettling and that's cool and good - Kubrick nailed the feeling of the story perfectly. But he didn't understand the characters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dark Weasel posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK. I was really hoping it would like the first book does Roland and the Man in Black have a palavar, Roland blacks out and wakes up to find the Man in Black is nothing but a skeleton.

That poo poo would probably piss the crowd off though, but gently caress the crowd.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also movie Jack is played by a late 70's/early 80's Jack Nicholson and is ergo already batshit insane from jump street.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Also movie Jack is played by a late 70's/early 80's Jack Nicholson and is ergo already batshit insane from jump street.

He's extremely off-putting even in that initial job interview at the Overlook, before he's even moved in.

Yea the way Kubrick tells the story Jack is really a completely irredeemable shithead. Almost as if he would have ended up murdering his family at some point even if they'd ever gone to the Overlook.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The impression I always got is that the Overlook corrupted Jack in the book, and that the Overlook actively saved his family in the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The book also does a much better job of painting Jack as a victim of the hotel. It preys on his weaknesses and insecurities. In the movie it just seems to be a means of unlocking some latent violent tendencies. Like book Jack is broken down to the point of becoming a murderer, but movie Jack is just let off the leash.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't hate this movie. While I acknowledge that literally any other approach would have been better, I was still mildly entertained throughout and I thought the gunplay in the climax was really fun. Idris Elba tried his best to carry the kid's performance and Mcconaughey's Man in Black was pretty fun though that might just be because his character fills an archetype that I really like.

Man in Black has no motivation and there's zero world-building which is too bad because I remember Mid-world being really interesting.

I would have preferred either more world-building (just making a Gunslinger adaptation) or way more action, making this just a summer blockbuster. As is Sony tried to do both and neither and as others have said it's just very safe and boring.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK. I was really hoping it would like the first book does Roland and the Man in Black have a palavar, Roland blacks out and wakes up to find the Man in Black is nothing but a skeleton.

That poo poo would probably piss the crowd off though, but gently caress the crowd.

If you put some money into it and made it visually interesting I think it could have worked. Remember, that's the point in the story where you learn a lot of the trippy poo poo about the world. You'd just have to let the visuals do a lot of the heavy lifting.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Instead we get Roland and Walter taking turns shooting at each other in an empty, nondescript warehouse hallway.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

So, I'm willing to forgive a lot if I think of this movie as Roland retaining at least some of his memories from the previous time around. He's so vengeful because he remembers his ka tet, he saves Jake because the latest time he didn't and he failed, he comments on talking animals and so on. And Walter plays with that, rubbing it in his face that not just his father and gunslinger crew died, but EVERYONE.

It makes some of it make more sense at least.

I'm really disappointed Roland didn't save the world by shooting Jake in the head through the portal at the end though. It would have fit with his finding his priorities in protecting the tower again.

There was one thing I enjoyed and that was looking at all of Jake's drawings. There's even one of a door in the middle of a field. Hints of what could have been I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

The book also does a much better job of painting Jack as a victim of the hotel. It preys on his weaknesses and insecurities. In the movie it just seems to be a means of unlocking some latent violent tendencies. Like book Jack is broken down to the point of becoming a murderer, but movie Jack is just let off the leash.

The turning point, in the book, is the beehive - where Jack has finally cleaned himself up, decided to do good for his son/family, and then The Overlook magically puts bees in the beehive to attack his son, which completely alienates him. That kind of stuff makes you really feel sorry for him and puts the onus on the true villain as the hotel. The movie hotel seems to just feed off of what Jack already is and grows with him.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No, Roland never has to make a single difficult choice and Jake is The Chosen One.

Best post/username combo.

I understand that Jake is the audience in the film, but God drat, did NO ONE realize that the story is of Roland?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I stayed until the very end and all I got was Walter's little whistle. I thought the movie was OK (myself), but I can't imagine anyone liking it at all if they never read the books. I like that he has the horn this time, but we're never gonna see another movie because this one was just not good.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I think this is going to be my favorite "How would I fix it" hypothetical to talk about at the bar now. So there's that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just very odd that this movie made it past the script phase, because its clear now that they utterly failed to condense the essence of the books into a 2 hour film. You'd think one would be able to read the script and instantly tell that it just wasn't going to work, that a decision needed to be made to make it a multi-film story or just drop it altogether. Instead they just plowed ahead and then acted shocked that the movie tested terribly. By that point reshoots aren't going to save it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

wat

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 11, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think this is going to be my favorite "How would I fix it" hypothetical to talk about at the bar now. So there's that.

That's convenient, because TDT books where already my favorite "How would I fix it" subject.

For example, I wouldn't spend several books building up the big bad only to have him die of food poisoning having accomplished nothing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did you mean to post this in D&D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mantis42 posted:

Did you mean to post this in D&D?

Yeah, I was just in the thread those tweets should have been posted in. What is going on. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread