Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thin Privilege posted:

Crazy food service customers are hilarious. At Jimmy Johns you scoop the bread out for sandwiches 1-6. Some guy saw us doing this and started yelling "MY RELIGION DOESNT ALLOW ME TO EAT SANDWICHES WITH THE BREAD TAKEN OUT!" No idea why, I guess it was something against being wasteful? In any case we had to throw the sandwich out (in front of him) and remake it. So if it was a waste thing, congrats guy.

Don't you give the customer the bread you scoop out anyway? That's what they always did when I used to get Jimmy Johns in grad school. So this guy is extra dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mllaneza posted:

Counterpoint. I had a major escalation with Sonicwall a few years back, and cheerfully passed around direct lines, names, and titles for senior people in the support organization.

Because their support sucks.

Ha! I just got off the phone with them a couple days ago. Sonofabitch tech wouldn't do anything because we had "beta" firmware, even though we aren't members of any beta program and pulled the firmware directly from their support website for our device. "I'm not touching it" is all he would say. I ended up having to go through some web forums (not somethingawful) to find a solution.

So me, I'm the bad customer I guess, gently caress Sonicwall.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Breadallelogram posted:

Him: "I DON'T LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES I KNOW THE OWNERS* I'M GOING TO CALL THEM AND TELL THEM WHAT TERRIBLE SERVICE YOU GAVE ME TONIGHT"

*not the owner who took a poo poo on my shift - he sold some of the business (I don't know the details) to this rich conservative christian couple who refused to remember my name despite seeing me every day

Me: "okay man my name is ____ and you can tell them whatever you want about me, see you later"

I had an old guy give me that "attitude" bullshit the other night, and it's not like I was even in a particularly bad or annoyed mood either, I just didn't happen to greet him just right. Heaven forbid that my disposition doesn't constantly ooze joy and honey.

I do love it when they ask for my name and I proudly show them my name tag like "bring it on" because these days management sides with me nine times out of ten anyway.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had a golden goose customer once, she got in my face because I wasn't perky and chipper, but when I told her the reason I was in a bad mood (girlfriend moved out the night before), she apologized, then half an hour later she showed up with a fancy crepe and milkshake from the place next door and told me she felt really lovely for not considering that other people have their own lives going on with all the associated poo poo that can bring :aww:

I know it's stdh.txt as hell but it was an extremely rare beacon in a sea of piss

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Repentant Customers

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't you give the customer the bread you scoop out anyway? That's what they always did when I used to get Jimmy Johns in grad school. So this guy is extra dumb.

If they ask for it, yeah. Otherwise we threw it out.

We had a psycho lady with like 3 kids reach over the counter, into the cold table, grab the mayo scoop, slather it on her kids 1/2 eaten sandwich, then put the mayo scoop back in the mayo tub. Obviously I threw the whole thing out, but holy poo poo. She was mad because we weren't giving her mayo quickly enough, because her kid wanted more mayo on his sandwich-- it was lunch rush so it was super busy so I told her to wait. We'd have had to give her mayo packets anyways for food safety reasons. I wanted to go over to her table and scream at her but again, I was 16 and had no spine. If it had happened today, you better believe I would have reamed her out. IIRC she also left a huge mess of lettuce, half-eaten food, chips, and garbage at her table. There's a trash can, use it.

And gently caress people who can't teach their kids to eat more neatly. Don't tell me "they're kids they don't know better" because tons of people's kids manage to eat without throwing poo poo everywhere. It's just you. You're the lovely parent with lovely kids.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Thin Privilege posted:

"they're kids they don't know better"
And you know who's supposed to teach them so they do know better? You, rear end in a top hat parent!

It's poo poo like this that makes breeding licenses sound like a good idea.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I gotta wonder about the stories involving managers/owners who threaten to fire employees for stealing hot water and petty poo poo like this. Because either it is just an empty threat in which case nobody gives a poo poo or the place has tremendous turnover since they'd be firing people faster than Amy's Baking Company.

Not only that, but for their to be a petty amount of rules like this implies that someone is going to enforce it, which takes time, effort, and ultimately money. As the assistant manager, are you getting some bounty on every associate caught and fired for stealing hot water? No? Then why are you gonna give a poo poo?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've always felt it was blatantly obvious that write-ups in retail (and at a lot of lovely corporations) are designed so that all employees are permanently on some kind of probation so they may be fired or denied time off on a whim. Arbitrary rules are only enforced as needed as a means of control. Capitalism sucks.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Arven posted:

I've always felt it was blatantly obvious that write-ups in retail (and at a lot of lovely corporations) are designed so that all employees are permanently on some kind of probation so they may be fired or denied time off on a whim. Arbitrary rules are only enforced as needed as a means of control. Capitalism sucks.

companies can always do this if you're in the US

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

True but it's a psychological thing as well. They can hold it over you and if you're in a bad spot financially you'll put up with whatever they throw at you to keep the paycheck coming.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ThePeavstenator posted:

companies can always do this if you're in the US

I think it actually varies by state. I think it's called At-Will employment, and I'm pretty sure some states very specifically have it on their books.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Your manager is probably thanking gently caress for you.

I am the manager so I checked him out and wished him a pleasant evening then when he started in on me again my bouncer told him it's not worth the argument and the dude needs to leave NOW. :shrug:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

After I had put in my 2 weeks at retail pharmacy this ladies hassling me for no reason, can't even remember the specifics now, so I go and get the pharmacy manager and walk to the back in clear view of her playing on my phone.

Pharmacy manager basically said the same thing I did and explained that whatever reality she dreamed up in her head wasn't correct. She started trying to call me back over so she could apologize to me and I just yelled out to her "I don't care", cuz whaddya gonna do with me having less than 2 weeks left and no help lined up once I'm gone, fire me?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Starman Super DX posted:

nbd! at least the derail has almost gotten me my first thread to get up to forty pages :kiddo:

Here's a story that may cause some debate, I wasn't sure if I wanted to share it at first but here we go-

Quarter to closing, two older (mid to late fifties) ladies come in, mostly drunk, etc. They do a number of small annoying things that rub me the wrong way, including one going to the bathroom for ten minutes before slowwwwwwwly making their purchase before closing. Of course I'm giving her (the lady paying, although both of them are annoying the hell out of me) the death stare. She gives me the whole "you should smile more" cliché. As I give her her change, she goes to give me two dollars.
Now I'll point out that I really am hard up for money. Every dollar in my wallet is a big deal to me at the moment, albeit only for a little extra spending money week to week.
Without missing a beat, I refused. She insisted in dismay, and again I said "no, thank you." She says the smile more thing again and leaves.

So I mean yeah, the store policy says I'm not supposed to take tips so for the most part, I don't unless I have some kind of good spirited report with the customer. This is of course after I deny it once and they continue to insist and shove it in my hand.

This, however, was one of the very rare occasions where someone tries to literally buy a smile off of me. I know that might sound ridiculous, but upon handing me her glorious two whole loving dollars I'm supposed to say "wow gee whiz thanks drunk ladies I like you now! Imma buy me a candy bar after work!"
I might take like five bucks. That's lunch at least and to me that's a fairly generous chunk of pocket change and thus a more genuine gesture on her part. But come on, two bucks? I would take two bucks if I just had a simple interaction with a normal, friendly customer who throws it at me and leaves, that's not the same situation. Plus if I took the money and didn't reciprocate in some friendly way you know she would have just complained to someone.

So that's that. Tell me I'm a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

I customer forced me to take her realtor agency pen as a "tip" once.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's really funny watching people try to steal from the Apple Store. They set out all their devices for the free of taking, but what people don't realize is that once it leaves the store it starts making a horrible alarm sound and bricks itself to never be used.

So many people just bring in a phone and say they saw it on a bench just blaring it's alarm.

Another dude stole a speaker and a week later he came back to do it again, got recognized, and was taken away by authorities.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

nbd! at least the derail has almost gotten me my first thread to get up to forty pages :kiddo:

Here's a story that may cause some debate, I wasn't sure if I wanted to share it at first but here we go-

Quarter to closing, two older (mid to late fifties) ladies come in, mostly drunk, etc. They do a number of small annoying things that rub me the wrong way, including one going to the bathroom for ten minutes before slowwwwwwwly making their purchase before closing. Of course I'm giving her (the lady paying, although both of them are annoying the hell out of me) the death stare. She gives me the whole "you should smile more" cliché. As I give her her change, she goes to give me two dollars.
Now I'll point out that I really am hard up for money. Every dollar in my wallet is a big deal to me at the moment, albeit only for a little extra spending money week to week.
Without missing a beat, I refused. She insisted in dismay, and again I said "no, thank you." She says the smile more thing again and leaves.

So I mean yeah, the store policy says I'm not supposed to take tips so for the most part, I don't unless I have some kind of good spirited report with the customer. This is of course after I deny it once and they continue to insist and shove it in my hand.

This, however, was one of the very rare occasions where someone tries to literally buy a smile off of me. I know that might sound ridiculous, but upon handing me her glorious two whole loving dollars I'm supposed to say "wow gee whiz thanks drunk ladies I like you now! Imma buy me a candy bar after work!"
I might take like five bucks. That's lunch at least and to me that's a fairly generous chunk of pocket change and thus a more genuine gesture on her part. But come on, two bucks? I would take two bucks if I just had a simple interaction with a normal, friendly customer who throws it at me and leaves, that's not the same situation. Plus if I took the money and didn't reciprocate in some friendly way you know she would have just complained to someone.

So that's that. Tell me I'm a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

drat dude did it kind of sounds like she was giving you a tip because she realized you were in a bad mood, possibly because you were about to close and they took a long time? Yeah the whole "you should smile more" thing is annoying but I think it takes a specific already-determined mindset to look at that interaction and go "they were trying to buy a smile off you" and not just "they were giving you a tip for any number of reasons."

So yes, you're a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I agree he should forgo pride as he's already a workcucked in retail.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

drat dude did it kind of sounds like she was giving you a tip because she realized you were in a bad mood, possibly because you were about to close and they took a long time? Yeah the whole "you should smile more" thing is annoying but I think it takes a specific already-determined mindset to look at that interaction and go "they were trying to buy a smile off you" and not just "they were giving you a tip for any number of reasons."

So yes, you're a dumb goon for not taking the two dollars.

I simply don't think I could have accepted the tip in earnest. Plus I find public drunkenness to be a bit of a faux pas.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

SpacePig posted:

I think it actually varies by state. I think it's called At-Will employment, and I'm pretty sure some states very specifically have it on their books.

Every state is At-Will employment.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Well I wish the managers at my company would do that. There are a group of people who are literally the worst at their jobs and they won't get rid of them. Also when they think they are about to get fired, they contact they doctor to write up something to say they are either depressed or anxious and then take it to HR so they can go on leave for a few weeks, which makes it so they can't get fired because they could just blame the manager for firing them for being on leave to HR. Even their direct supervisor does this.

Really disgusting people.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Over There posted:

It's really funny watching people try to steal from the Apple Store. They set out all their devices for the free of taking, but what people don't realize is that once it leaves the store it starts making a horrible alarm sound and bricks itself to never be used.

So many people just bring in a phone and say they saw it on a bench just blaring it's alarm.

Another dude stole a speaker and a week later he came back to do it again, got recognized, and was taken away by authorities.

A guy just got caught in our store yesterday for stealing expensive headphones. He didn't get a chance to steal any this time, but he'd come in on five other occasions over the course of a month, and every single time he stole a $300+ pair of headphones... and he wore the exact same outfit every time :psyduck:

My manager tailed him outside after letting him know he was being reported to the police, and apparently the guy was parked in our carpark, so we got his registration too.

There's street parking less than a minute away that is behind a fence and outside the view of our cameras, but I guess that would have been too much effort???

We also had a thing a while back where a gang of African immigrants realised we don't have store security in our franchise, so they literally hopped on a train line, got off at every stop with one of our stores, walked in and grabbed as many expensive headphones as they could carry, and walked out. By the last few stores, they were apparently super jubilant and cheering at staff as they left.

... then the security footage hit the news, most of them got identified, and a few of them got straight up deported. We're covered by insurance for theft, so I hope their brief ownership of decent headphones was worth it :shrug:

We ALSO had a gang of guys break in through our receiving door, crowbar their way into the cash office and steal 24 grand worth of laptops and phones. Except it was closer to 30 grand once our store manager rolled in all the write-offs he's been putting off.

We'd just had a ton of remodelling done to the store, so the official theory was that one of the tradies cased us (since they clearly knew where all the good stuff was kept and headed right there). Don't think those guys ever got caught, but we get more sympathy for dramatic night break-ins versus people stealing off the shelf, so that plus hiding the write-offs made it a net gain as far as the store manager was concerned :geno:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

SpacePig posted:

It's called "Right to work." I live in a right to work state and they don't need any reason to fire you. It's your "right to work" anywhere so long term job security is weak at best. Most of the southern states are like this. (I'm in Florida.)

I used to live in CT which isn't a right to work state. My company had an appeal system and you could plead your case to the CEO to get your job back.

Weird stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

does this mean you could brick all the cell phones and tablets in an apple store at once with some kind of wifi scrambler?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HazCat posted:

it was closer to 30 grand once our store manager rolled in all the write-offs he's been putting off.

It's funny but I've worked robberies where the bank manager is like: "They got away with $9,286.23"

I was really weirded out by how these robbers were apparently grabbing change as they left but a veteran filled me in on how managers use robberies to straighten out their books sometimes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I Brake For MILFs posted:

It's called "Right to work." I live in a right to work state and they don't need any reason to fire you. It's your "right to work" anywhere so long term job security is weak at best. Most of the southern states are like this. (I'm in Florida.)

I used to live in CT which isn't a right to work state. My company had an appeal system and you could plead your case to the CEO to get your job back.

Weird stuff.

I thought right to work just meant you didn't have to join a union, whereas at will is the "you can quit/be fired without notice and for any non protected reason" thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Fil5000 posted:

I thought right to work just meant you didn't have to join a union, whereas at will is the "you can quit/be fired without notice and for any non protected reason" thing.

This is correct. The two are often confused. The thing about the At Will, is that you don't have to be given a reason why you're fired, so that "non-protected" clause is useless. Every trans person I know is terrified of the At Will policies, and very few are brave enough to come out as trans at their jobs, because they could have bigoted bosses who turn around and just say "oh, they had a bad attitude, so we decided to let them go", and nobody can challenge it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

does this mean you could brick all the cell phones and tablets in an apple store at once with some kind of wifi scrambler?

No its some other system they have in place. Its not WiFi or GPS. I honestly don't remember the name but its the same technology they use when you pull up the Apple Store app it recognizes you're in the store and lets you purchase things with your phone on the spot.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Today we had a deal, you get 4 cents off the fuel price when you buy anything else.

We had a quick list drawn up of items that you could give the customers basically for free depending on how many litres they filled up with, and gently caress. About 75% of people declined.

Me: Hey, would you like thing for free with your fuel?

Them: No, because apparently I am not a fan of free things.

Corporate in a week: Hmm yes, customers neither want cheaper fuel, nor free things, hmmm.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Zenithe posted:

Today we had a deal, you get 4 cents off the fuel price when you buy anything else.

We had a quick list drawn up of items that you could give the customers basically for free depending on how many litres they filled up with, and gently caress. About 75% of people declined.

Corporate in a week: Hmm yes, customers neither want cheaper fuel, nor free things, hmmm.

Sometimes you just don't need more stuff.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

my first thought is "hmm there's a hidden angle and i dont want to spend the 5 seconds of brain power it requires for me to figure it out when i could be poo poo posting on the forums"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

kazr posted:

my first thought is "hmm there's a hidden angle and i dont want to spend the 5 seconds of brain power it requires for me to figure it out when i could be poo poo posting on the forums"

If someone gives you free chippies, you have to eat them, and that's however many calories that you wouldn't have normally consumed you have to account for later.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Burning_Monk posted:

So me, I'm the bad customer I guess, gently caress Sonicwall.

Chiming in here as the 3rd gently caress Sonicwall poster in this thread. Their products are crap and their support is like staring into the abyss.

Not necessarily retail, but I work for a datacenter in CA, and for some reason most of our customers are Bangladeshis, actually in Bangladesh, doing VOIP. (Fun fact: they do phone service through us, so if you pick up a phone in Dhaka and call your neighbor down the street, the call literally goes from Dhaka -> Los Angeles -> back so quickly that it's a regular phone call. Almost all cell phone companies do this also - if you call a guy in the same room as you, the call might go through Conneticut and back, despite the person receiving the call being literally 4 feet away).

My experience with Bangladeshi businessmen is, in a word, not good. Impossible to get them to pay - we often get "we will pay - remember if we do not pay, we will get punishment from ALLAH!". We have customers that literally run up their bill (which my bosses allow for some reason), then get shut down or non-payment, then show up a month later using a different fake name and do it all over again. I am not trying to generalize here, but the Bangladeshi customers are the worst.

We send order forms for servers - if you're a regular customer sometimes discounts are applied, and it's done in MS Word since it's a special order. So we send a form - E3-1220, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, CentOS, $100. The form comes back as an E3-1270 (better processor), 16GB RAM, and 2TB HDD, $85. They literally change the order forms and hope we don't notice, and the sad part is, sometimes we don't. Every time it's a demand for a discount, despite the fact they they do not pay their bill anyway. It's a baffling culture. Everyone wants to cheat everyone to get ahead.

You owe $14,000 but pay $200 and somehow that is justified as fair in the Bangladeshi logic. It's really a baffling thing, always a discount, and if there is any way these customers can gently caress you, they will. It's like retail except online.

I also worked a Rite-Aid for a while, and we opened at 6AM (when it's legal to start selling alcohol). There'd literally be 25 people lined up in front to get that fifth to get the shakes away.

We had one customer, a repeat guy, who was only maybe 20 but had the shakes, and was totally, 1000% an alcoholic. He would run in to the liquor aisle before anyone could stop him, open whatever bottle he could find, and chug it until loss prevention caught up, then either run out (still chugging, the man was a champ) with the bottle, or ditch it. He'd do this 2-3 times a week. It's was both sad and amusing. Then I got fired for allowing a hot girl to use my Rite-Aid card (the plastic card that chain stores give you to earn points), and that was it.

I also have a few interesting ones from working at a health food store, boy some people are batshit crazy. I've heard hours of justifications for not vaccinating, and also, we sold out of anything containing iodine at all when the Fukushima thing happened, despite it literally being 10,000 miles away.

Also I find it literally loving BAFFLING that you fools stuck in your self-made retail hell do not realize that there is a booming market in hand-writing Bibles. If you millenials weren't so lazy you could make $6/page and also maybe LEARN something about the LORD.

du -hast fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 5, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I'm not an American but that is what I've learnt while on SA. Right to work is literally that, people have the right to a job without being forced to join any labor organizations (ie, unions).
At will is completely different, it means employer can fire, or employee can quit without notice without any reasons or causes*. It's closer to what is called "casual" employment in Australia. But in casual employment here you rarely work more than 20hrs a week as you get a higher hourly wage when at will/casual here. Above a certain hours per week employers here prefer part time permanent workers

*Unless for things covered by federal law, like race, gender etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 5, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

the more junk you have the harder it is to move when you find a better situation

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh no, I have found myself with another retail job since I can't find work in my field. This one is at a small tech store. I wonder what the clientele will be like.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

This is why you emblaze it with 'LIMITED STOCK ONLY ONCE GONE ITS GONE AND WE CANT HELP'.
Makes people think everyone else is looking to get this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zenithe posted:

I would assume its a scam and move on as well.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I think it just ties in with the fact that most people have rehearsed responses to most things and rarely use critical thinking during the cashier-customer interaction. One of my favorite actual conversations

:): *end of ringing items* would you like to donate to [charity]?
:downs::No thank you I donated already
:confused::But sir we only started this morning??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zenithe posted:

There's a bar I go to a few times a month that I used to go to regularly that has those loyalty card things. They kept on trying to get me to sign up for one by telling me all the free poo poo I'll get since I would spend a fair amount of money there. I always told them no. People trying to give me free poo poo makes me uncomfortable since I've gotten so much free poo poo. It's dumb and irrational but I turn down free poo poo all the time.

Sometimes people don't want a better deal as dumb as that sounds.

• Locked thread