Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any CBS commissioners in here? Is there any way to see ownership history on a player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Question...

I'm doing a dynasty start up auction draft on NFL.com this year. When we do it, it will have average $$ values for each player on the draft board online. BUT, it has no way of knowing that this is a dynasty league, so those values will reflect a redraft league. Like it won't take age into effect, or that WR's are worth more due to longevity, or anything of that nature. I'm thinking I can use this to my advantage, because most of the league won't realize that.

Does this make sense? The entire league has never done an auction draft, OR a dynasty start up draft, so this is sure to be a complete poo poo show. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I can use this to my advantage. Thoughts? Strategies? Ideas?

Thanks friends

In my current dynasty league, when we had the start up, my strategy was simple. Let people spend all their money, then target players years one through three. A bunch ch of people couldn't bid more than a dollar, so my team is cost controlled forever.

I still smile when I remember people swearing at me in the draft room after figuring what I'd done. Because a 50% salary increase on a year seven player who started at a $1 is nothing. :D

In an auction league, my rule is to never lead on a player I want. $1 for a popular player I don't care about, so they can spend their money.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
You had me pretty scared for a moment.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/893220970835660806

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Question for people who have done an auction dynasty startup draft:

What kind of breakdown are you usually aiming for, as far as spending? How much should I look to spend on my starting roster, compared to my bench?

We have a $200 budget, QB/2WR/2RB/TE/3FLEX(WR/RB/TE), and 16 bench spots. So a 25 man roster. (No kicker/Defense)

I assume the majority of the bench will be filled out by $1 or $2 lotto-tickets/handcuffs/prayers. So what's a general idea of how much I should spend for my top players?

$50-60 on a stud WR (OBJ, Evans, AB)
$20-$25 on a solid WR2
$20-$30 on a solid RB

I read it's best to try to write out your budget for each roster spot to try to have an idea of what you're looking to spend, but honestly I have no loving clue. I just don't want to go into the draft completely unprepared and wing it. I doubt that will end well. I'm trying to do some mock auction drafts, but between not accounting for Dynasty values (WR's worth more, young players worth more, etc) and only having a 15 man roster, compared to 25, player values are WAY off and it doesn't seem helpful at all.

Anyone know of any good articles that talk about dynasty auction startup draft strategies? Anyone have experience and care to share? I'm completely lost here. I've never done an auction draft OR a dynasty startup draft. Help.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Question for people who have done an auction dynasty startup draft:

What kind of breakdown are you usually aiming for, as far as spending? How much should I look to spend on my starting roster, compared to my bench?

We have a $200 budget, QB/2WR/2RB/TE/3FLEX(WR/RB/TE), and 16 bench spots. So a 25 man roster. (No kicker/Defense)

I assume the majority of the bench will be filled out by $1 or $2 lotto-tickets/handcuffs/prayers. So what's a general idea of how much I should spend for my top players?

$50-60 on a stud WR (OBJ, Evans, AB)
$20-$25 on a solid WR2
$20-$30 on a solid RB

I read it's best to try to write out your budget for each roster spot to try to have an idea of what you're looking to spend, but honestly I have no loving clue. I just don't want to go into the draft completely unprepared and wing it. I doubt that will end well. I'm trying to do some mock auction drafts, but between not accounting for Dynasty values (WR's worth more, young players worth more, etc) and only having a 15 man roster, compared to 25, player values are WAY off and it doesn't seem helpful at all.

Anyone know of any good articles that talk about dynasty auction startup draft strategies? Anyone have experience and care to share? I'm completely lost here. I've never done an auction draft OR a dynasty startup draft. Help.

My goal is to figure out the values of players I want and not go over budget. Its also about having a clear vision for who you want. If you spend a quarter of your budget on Evans or ODB, your roster depth is going to suffer.

What are your salary rules going forward?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok, I need keeper help.

Definite:
David Johnson for a 6th rounder. No brainer.

Possible:
Cam Newton - 9th
Jimmy Graham - 13th
Stafford - 12th
Cam Meredith - 13th

6 points passing/rushing/receiving. 1PPR.

I'm leaning towards Jimmy Graham tbh. We don't have a dedicated TE spot, but on that list he's the only guy I'm reasonably confident in. Cam scares the poo poo out of me this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok, I need keeper help.

Definite:
David Johnson for a 6th rounder. No brainer.

Possible:
Cam Newton - 9th
Jimmy Graham - 13th
Stafford - 12th
Cam Meredith - 13th

6 points passing/rushing/receiving. 1PPR.

I'm leaning towards Jimmy Graham tbh. We don't have a dedicated TE spot, but on that list he's the only guy I'm reasonably confident in. Cam scares the poo poo out of me this year.

I'd keep Graham definitely and maybe Stafford. I plan on taking Meredith that late this year anyway so maybe he'll be available when you toss him back into the pool.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doltos posted:

I'd keep Graham definitely and maybe Stafford. I plan on taking Meredith that late this year anyway so maybe he'll be available when you toss him back into the pool.

Sorry, I can only keep one from that pool. I forgot to add that.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
The secret to 9+ starter 12-team leagues is depth. You want to be the guy starting rb3s and wr3s when everybody else is starting desperation wr5s in the flex.

I'd go into the auction trying to fill out a starting roster, possibly with one stud at wr, otherwise fairly balanced across positions without too much invested in any one player. After the starters, grab some cheap vets until you hit 11-12ish total skill players you feel reasonable flexing, grab a backup QB, and blow the rest on 1-3 good young prospects before finishing out with upside guys for a buck each at the end of the draft. This approach will put you in contention right away, but also leave you well positioned for the future.

Also reasonable to go high-variance and hope for luck. Take a stud QB and 1-2 young stud WRs, then fill your roster with lotto tickets. Any injury to one of the studs will tank the team, and you will lose most of the bye week gauntlet, but you will have years to build up lottery hits and rookie picks around the core.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

My goal is to figure out the values of players I want and not go over budget. Its also about having a clear vision for who you want. If you spend a quarter of your budget on Evans or ODB, your roster depth is going to suffer.

What are your salary rules going forward?

$200 budget for the startup auction, then a $250 salary cap you have to stay under each year.

Salaries go up by 10% or $1 each year (whichever is higher)

How would you figure out the values of players? There's no "Startup Dynasty Auction Big Board" or any literature on how much a player should cost in a dynasty draft.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 4, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Forever_Peace posted:

The secret to 9+ starter 12-team leagues is depth. You want to be the guy starting rb3s and wr3s when everybody else is starting desperation wr5s in the flex.

I'd go into the auction trying to fill out a starting roster, possibly with one stud at wr, otherwise fairly balanced across positions without too much invested in any one player. After the starters, grab some cheap vets until you hit 11-12ish total skill players you feel reasonable flexing, grab a backup QB, and blow the rest on 1-3 good young prospects before finishing out with upside guys for a buck each at the end of the draft. This approach will put you in contention right away, but also leave you well positioned for the future.

Also reasonable to go high-variance and hope for luck. Take a stud QB and 1-2 young stud WRs, then fill your roster with lotto tickets. Any injury to one of the studs will tank the team, and you will lose most of the bye week gauntlet, but you will have years to build up lottery hits and rookie picks around the core.

See I did that strat last year in my 14 person league and it super backfired in the playoffs. The teams who were dominating were the ones who got two premier players with guaranteed points and filled their backend starters with trash WR4/5s or RB TD vultures. My WRs were so deep that I couldn't figure out which ones to start and it was one of those situations where a guy would go off on the bench then do nothing when I slotted him in. The players with Tom Brady/Antonio Brown didn't have to worry about poo poo because they'd be throwing up 80 points each week between the two of them and their bench trash would pitch in here and there.

I'm still going to not reach on a QB1 this year but I'm tempted to.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Doltos posted:

Meredith should be long gone by the 13th round. Especially since Kevin White appears to be an injury-prone headcase.

I'd keep Graham as well, especially since he's another year removed from his injury.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

$200 budget for the startup auction, then a $250 salary cap you have to stay under each year.

Salaries go up by 10% or $1 each year (whichever is higher)

How would you figure out the values of players? There's no "Startup Dynasty Auction Big Board" or any literature on how much a player should cost in a dynasty draft.

I just played it by ear. I only targeted year 1-5 players and created a salary range that would allow me to keep guys forever.

I might be the wrong person to ask, because I deliberately tanked my first year to set myself up for the future. I used general auction rates and adapted them. I figured everyone would use those as a value chart, since there are no free dynasty salary cap resources. I then targeted the players where I thought there were huge discrepancies in my favor.

So JJ and AJ might be too expensive, but a guy like Allen Robinson or DeAndre Hopkins will be seriously underpriced in redraft. Does that make sense?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I will say that you can't really avoid reacting to what the other owners are doing. Make a plan, but if other owners are overbidding for the specific players you wanted, you may have to accept getting someone you didn't like very much for a cheaper price. Also, it pays to preserve a little extra for the late rounds: once you're down to $1 per slot left and that's it, you're absolutely at the mercy of any team that has even one dollar more than you. If you have 10 slots left, having $20 instead of $10 left in the bank means you can outbid most of the other teams for every late round guy you want, and that $2 salary going up by 10% a year is not going to hurt you any extra until 5 years go by.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I will say that you can't really avoid reacting to what the other owners are doing. Make a plan, but if other owners are overbidding for the specific players you wanted, you may have to accept getting someone you didn't like very much for a cheaper price. Also, it pays to preserve a little extra for the late rounds: once you're down to $1 per slot left and that's it, you're absolutely at the mercy of any team that has even one dollar more than you. If you have 10 slots left, having $20 instead of $10 left in the bank means you can outbid most of the other teams for every late round guy you want, and that $2 salary going up by 10% a year is not going to hurt you any extra until 5 years go by.

Absolute truth. Tier your players from who you want the most to who you'll be OK with as consolation prizes. Have salary ranges for what is acceptable. And try to make sure you're the big dog in the later rounds. That's where rookie and 2nd year value plays will make or break your roster.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Absolute truth. Tier your players from who you want the most to who you'll be OK with as consolation prizes. Have salary ranges for what is acceptable. And try to make sure you're the big dog in the later rounds. That's where rookie and 2nd year value plays will make or break your roster.

BUT WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THE SALARY RANGES!? :confuoot:

I don't trust myself to just randomly assign dollar values to the entire league based off what I think. Maybe if I had done one of these in the past I would, but not at the moment.

Sataere posted:

there are no free dynasty salary cap resources.

Are there paid dynasty salary cap resources? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or whatever to have a huge edge in the draft.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 4, 2017

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Disregard

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

BUT WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THE SALARY RANGES!? :confuoot:

I don't trust myself to just randomly assign dollar values to the entire league based off what I think. Maybe if I had done one of these in the past I would, but not at the moment.

Are there paid dynasty salary cap resources? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or whatever to have a huge edge in the draft.

Oh, maybe I did not say this clearly, but I create my own baseline from regular dynasty leagues. Honestly, I don't use resources. I do my own scouting and make my judgements based on that. I don't really care how everyone else values things. Sorry, that's not very helpful.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Could it be.....?

https://twitter.com/JOSH_GORDONXII/status/893509020732055557

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

well i know who my first round pick is going to now

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh God, we haven't made final cuts in dynasty...

Do I dare?

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

6 games into season suspended again!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it possible to have taxi squads for a dynasty league that's not hosted on fleaflicker.com or myfantasyleague.com?

It seems like it would be impossible to handle/track an unofficial taxi squad on the site I'm using (NFL.com).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sataere posted:

Oh God, we haven't made final cuts in dynasty...

Do I dare?

puffs a blunt

u D.A.R.E

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gordon hasn't even applied for reinstatement (again, after getting it rejected in the spring) and the NFL is still dragging its feet on Martavis Bryant, whom people actually expect to be back.

But sure, keep pinning your hopes on the flake who hasn't played meaningful football in THREE GODDAMN YEARS.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The NFL dragging their feet on Martavis is annoying the poo poo of me and my dynasty team.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Benne posted:

Gordon hasn't even applied for reinstatement (again, after getting it rejected in the spring) and the NFL is still dragging its feet on Martavis Bryant, whom people actually expect to be back.

But sure, keep pinning your hopes on the flake who hasn't played meaningful football in THREE GODDAMN YEARS.
If you aren't rooting for Josh Gordon's reinstatement, you are a bad person who hates fun football. If it requires divine intervention to happen, then so be it!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Benne posted:

I'm still gonna keep him on my dynasty roster. Mainly because even after cut downs, I will be short the max roster, so why not.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

I wasn't serious.

In fact Gordon-chat is even worse than TE-chat, IMO. TE's are poo poo but they at least exist, unlike Gordon's career.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
New BeerSheets are up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

You the real MVP, Beer!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
free josh gordon

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Teemu Pokemon posted:

free josh gordon

Too rich for my blood

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

pubic works project posted:

You the real MVP, Beer!

QFT.

Also, does anyone know when the Game of Roto league starts up again?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just a reminder that the charity league is looking for more folks!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Too rich for my blood

At that price, I'd rather have Mumia.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hey Beer, how come some lines on the beersheets are shaded and some aren't? Are those tiers?

Edit: Cool, thanks!

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

RCarr posted:

Hey Beer, how come some lines on the beersheets are shaded and some aren't? Are those tiers?

Yea, it's to differentiate between the tiers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Dispatch from 49ers open practice: remove Joe Williams from your draft boards entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

On that note, Hightower look gassed?

• Locked thread