Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/893482088535539713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Most of the special elections have seen 12-15 point swings over last November. The motivation seems to be there, it just has to make it another 15 months.

If Trump enacted his agenda more quietly, I think things would die down. But he's incapable of doing that.

also, if he enacted his agenda at all

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

evilweasel posted:

i think that the internet amplifies idiots so you're seeing the worst brand of berniebro. there are plenty of people who like bernie but who aren't condiv-level idiot brokebrains. most of them voted for jill stein anyway.

I think that the theoretical impact of Bernie's supporters is amplfiied by the fact that more of them are on the internet. Which is why in reality there wasn't even enough of them to get him the nomination.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

i think it's a mistake to think that the midterm electorate is fixed and is going to be the same as the 2010/2014 electorate

i think that the all-republican government repeatedly faceplanting and trying to make their health bill as unpopular as humanly possible without specifically decreeing executions will depress republican turnout and the need to do something, anything, to limit trump will motivate democrats and independents to get out and vote

Dems lost the House popular vote in 2016 by 1.1% and won it in 2012 by 1.2%. I believe the figure you've cited they need is 7%.

I'm not saying they can't take the house, i'm just saying pretending it's an off year problem is objectively wrong.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

to be clear, because my statement was not at all, it's the condiv-level idiot brokebrains who voted for jill stein, not the vast majority of bernie people, i realize looking at that post it says the exact opposite

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/893450874948911104

Trump retweeted that. James Woof is an idiot

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What a loving flaming diarrhea bad take

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dems took the House in 2006, an off year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

Dems lost the House popular vote in 2016 by 1.1% and won it in 2012 by 1.2%. I believe the figure you've cited they need is 7%.

I'm not saying they can't take the house, i'm just saying pretending it's an off year problem is objectively wrong.

under the obama administration dems did significantly worse in off-year elections. it wasn't solely an off-year election problem. what i'm saying is, i do not think that pattern from the obama years necessarily holds up, so we do not need to assume that 2018 will be a worse electorate. it might be, but the factors that made it a lot worse for democrats in 2010 and 2014 now point in different directions. that, alone, won't fix things of course because as you point out just getting back to presidential-year electorate still didn't retake the house.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mustached Demon posted:

Hopefully we can get Trump to reinvade Iraq and try to privatize social security before 2018.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hopefully we can get Trump to reinvade Iraq and try to privatize social security.

trump just tried to gut americans' health insurance, but much more visibly than bush did re: privatizing social security, and got everyone in the house and senate to go on the record on it while bush's proposal never even got a vote so republicans could pretend they didn't support it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hopefully we can get Trump to reinvade Iraq and try to privatize social security before 2018.

Still got like 1.7 hurricane seasons left, too, don't forget that.

Edit: Closer to 2 full seasons left. June-Nov I guess?

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 4, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twice burned ice posted:

The thread that posts up-to-the-minute Trump tweets didn't discuss the big development in the Mueller investigation. Yup. You're the first one to post it.

This thread is 50% diet chat and 50% "republicans are better than democrats" chat, why would anyone assume anyone actually mentioned real news?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

James Woods is a narcissistic bigot who hounded a man until and after he died, because the guy dared to say something mean about him, iirc.

Found it.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This thread is 50% diet chat and 50% "republicans are better than democrats" chat, why would anyone assume anyone actually mentioned real news?

Did I miss diet chat? Keto diets are dumb.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol has he always had that small blue diamond? It's really funny that his organization has been verified but he himself has not been.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Reik posted:

Did I miss diet chat? Keto diets are dumb.

Agreed. Caveman or nothing.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Agreed. Caveman or nothing.

Caveman diets only work if you spend hours persistence hunting the animal down before eating it.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/893450574045302784
Assange is shameless to an absurd degree

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Mustached Demon posted:

Granted, this was before the surgically precise gerrymandering that took place after the 2010 census.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

They they can be the biggest group of pretend voters all they want. Until they actually have an impact on something, the DNC is better off not alienating actual midterm voters by pandering to them.

Xombie posted:

I don't doubt that. I just doubt that millenials will come out to vote, which is where most of the Bernie crowd lies. Berniebros have shown themselves to be ideological purists, and you can't actually get one vote from without turning off two Gen-X/Boomer swing voters. And even then it's a coin toss as to whether they'll show up.
[*Losing to noted genius Donald Trump and continuing to poll worse than an administration widely considered to be some kind of criminal enterprise while ignoring base and platform of most popular politician in country intensifies*]

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DrSunshine posted:

Have you guys talked about the grand jury that's been convened for the Trump-Russia thing?

Seems like pretty good news. I'm eager to find out and read the book about this a year or two from now when it's all revealed.

"According to Reuters news agency, the special counsel is examining whether anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign encouraged the Russians to start releasing material about the Clinton campaign."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNa2B5zHfbQ

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Today is Obama's birthday.

I miss that man. :smith:

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Koalas March posted:

James Woods is a narcissistic bigot who hounded a man until and after he died, because the guy dared to say something mean about him, iirc.

that mans name was peter griffin, rip

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

Granted, this was before the surgically precise gerrymandering that took place after the 2010 census.

the house was strongly gerrymandered in 2000 as well, democrats believed they couldn't retake it until 2008, bush was just that loving bad that he bumped the timeline up

Honey Trap Queen
Jul 30, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I hope he goes to jail. This is inexcusably blatant.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Liu posted:

that mans name was peter griffin, rip

Actually it was that one non-Snake quickie mart robber that said he was a singer before shooting at him.

Erotically I posted:

It really bugs me that another country is allowing him to sit in their embassy and push this stuff which is obviously designed to destabilize our government. I get asylum but I don't understand why that means allowing him free reign in this manner. I guess that's somewhat hypocritical considering our own alphabet agencies but it's still something that bugs me.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 4, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

What a piece of poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Erotically I posted:

is he still effectively locked in the Ecuadorian embassy, even though he outlasted his rape charges? I feel like I've got a memory that the UK said they were still going to arrest him for fleeing from justice or the like.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

evilweasel posted:

the house was strongly gerrymandered in 2000 as well, democrats believed they couldn't retake it until 2008, bush was just that loving bad that he bumped the timeline up

You're not wrong, but I was under the impression that the sheer amount of voter/precinct data in the hands of Republican analysts was much greater than what was available in 2000 for Democrats. I'd have to imagine this allowed their efforts to be more effective.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sessions is speaking right now about finding those dirty leakers. He's announcing some kind of task force?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Sessions is speaking right now about finding those dirty leakers. He's announcing some kind of task force?

Does this task force wear white hoods and burn lower case 't's on their lawns to tell them "time to stop leaking"?

Keep
Kommunications
Konfidential

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

Think he's checked the bathroom yet?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Erotically I posted:

Are there any repercussions of this, or is that covered by 1st amendment stuff?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Javes posted:

My point's that you should not go all woe is me despair for midterms unless Trump actually does... well... something other than appoint judges I guess?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He reads off the page in the monotone staccato style of a middle-school kid. Jesus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

You're not wrong, but I was under the impression that the sheer amount of voter/precinct data in the hands of Republican analysts was much greater than what was available in 2000 for Democrats. I'd have to imagine this allowed their efforts to be more effective.

yeah, the gerrymander was broader and more effective

if dems retake control of the government in 2020 the first thing they should do is immediately ban gerrymandering (which congress has the power to do). i'm worried though that there will be just enough representatives from NY/California/etc who might owe their seats to democratic gerrymandering to make it impossible

or, lock in a pro-democratic gerrymander for a decade i suppose, that is good too

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

yeah, the gerrymander was broader and more effective

if dems retake control of the government in 2020 the first thing they should do is immediately ban gerrymandering (which congress has the power to do). i'm worried though that there will be just enough representatives from NY/California/etc who might owe their seats to democratic gerrymandering to make it impossible

or, lock in a pro-democratic gerrymander for a decade i suppose, that is good too

Lock in a pro-democratic gerrymander so republicans get all hissy pissy about it and do the leg work getting rid of it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
California banned gerrymandering a while ago, districts are now drawn by an independent commission.

In practice it ended up reinforcing the dem majority here, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CyberPingu posted:

Are there any repercussions of this, or is that covered by 1st amendment stuff?
How dare he impugn the political police.

• Locked thread