Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just got an email saying Wink has been acquired by i.am+, will.i.ams lifestyle company.

Not sure how to feel, don't know anything about the company but being bounced around by different owners is never a good thing. We shall see how it goes I guess.

E: oh apparently everything tech he touches is garbage, so that's that.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just got an email saying Wink has been acquired by i.am+, will.i.ams lifestyle company.

Not sure how to feel, don't know anything about the company but being bounced around by different owners is never a good thing. We shall see how it goes I guess.

Yeah good luck man

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, we are hosed. Honestly I'm surprised, I figured Foxconn would want to stay in the home automation game. There really weren't any better offers than i.am+ which has exclusively produced useless garbage because it is run by an idiot with too much money?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If Wink's main thing is "compatible with everything," maybe Home Assistant will be ready for primetime by the time Willy ruins Wink.

I'm running HA on a Pi3 with a zwave stick and I'm really happy with it now that it's setup. Setting it up is a bitch and a half, though, since everything is done in YAML text configs.

Feels cool to not to be stuck on one ecosystem anymore. Ring doorbell motion turns on zwave porch lights, Nest presence controls 433mhz ceiling fan, cats and dogs sleeping together, etc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm just hoping that Brilliant Controls actually delivers before Wink hits the fan and I need to replace my Relays.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

robotindisguise posted:

Any recommendations for a baby cam/monitor? The discrete devices seem lovely and pricey for what you get and seem to break every few months, but maybe I'm over thinking this.We currently have no security cams or gear. We own the house and can run network cable if need be. Currently using Ubiquiti AP and router for the network. Ideally we'd get audio and video view-able on android devices. I don't want anything being broadcast to the internet/3rd parties or a monthly fee. I do IT work so a complicated to setup is OK by me. Under $250 is ideal. Thanks!

When ours was born we got by just using an AngelCare motion sensor and radio, he's almost two so the sensor went away awhile ago but I did setup a Raspberry Pi Zero with MotionEyeOS and a spare PS3 Camera/WiFi dongle to make a local web camera, it's even better now the Zero W is out so I don't have to use a usb dongle but the next step would be to get an integrated camera.

The benefit to you is it's a secure as your own network with no freaky cloud services exposed to the Internet. Mine is set so viewing it doesn't require authentication but you need to be on the network in the first place, so I've got a separate VPN in place if say I want to view it on my phone.

It just lives perched on his wardrobe, at some point I plan on building more to put in the garden and elsewhere set to record

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Looking to add some Light switches with alexa capability. I dont have the budget to buy 20+ switches at once , but id like to buy 1-2 per month over the next year. Some switches will need dimmer capability, but not all.

From what i can tell, TP Link and Wemo dont need a hub, but seem to lack dimming.

Lutron seems nice, but is more $ AND requires a hub.

Leviton seems to check all the boxes.

Should i avoid mixing brands throughout the house, if i find a deal? Alexa probably wont care, right?

Any help is appreciated

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cornjob posted:

Looking to add some Light switches with alexa capability. I dont have the budget to buy 20+ switches at once , but id like to buy 1-2 per month over the next year. Some switches will need dimmer capability, but not all.

From what i can tell, TP Link and Wemo dont need a hub, but seem to lack dimming.

Lutron seems nice, but is more $ AND requires a hub.

Leviton seems to check all the boxes.

Should i avoid mixing brands throughout the house, if i find a deal? Alexa probably wont care, right?

Any help is appreciated

Personally I hate the idea of having a bunch of wifi or Bluetooth devices all trying to maintain a connection to the internet individually.

If you're buying something with a hub, you should be buying into a standard, not a particular brand. Z-wave for example. There's a ton of brands and device types with no trouble mixing and matching. From there your hub is the gateway between 900mhz mesh and the internet.

Different hubs will have different capabilities, Alexa, HomeKit, cross-compatibility with other devices, but the nice thing about buying into a standard is that you're welcome to change your hub in a year without having to throw out all your other devices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I went with HomeSense Z-wave and have been quite happy. I use them with SmartThings, and I have dimmers as well as 3- and 4-way switch arrangements.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got GE, Kwikset, Linear, Aeon, GoControl and Monoprice Z-wave stuff and I'm happy with all of it.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What's a good lock for my front door that can open when I get home

Please be specific with everything I will need.

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 31, 2017

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Maaaaaybe you should start by being specific yourself.

Open based on what criteria?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

My GE Z Wave dimmers and switches are loving awesome. So is the fan control. The add on switches for 3 and 4 way switches are real cool too, because they can be dimmers or regular switches. I have one setup for my front door light and it's set to turn on at sunset + 30 minutes, and it turns off at sunrise. They work perfectly with a Smartthings hub. I would get the hub. It's pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things and it will make your life so much easier, and fun, and cool. Get the hub. Do it. GE has Z Wave Plus switches and dimmers too, for better range. I have them in my third floor bedroom and the hub is on the first floor, and it works great.

I've seen some pretty nice energy savings with most of this stuff. My sample size without an ecobee is small because I bought it almost right away after moving into my house, but my first week with a regular thermostat was about $7/day, which isn't too crazy for a 2000 sq foot 3 story house in Philly, in June. I installed the ecobee, and after some tinkering with the settings, I got it down to $3-4/day on days I'm away most of the day, and $5-6/day on days I'm home. I just installed a Zooz smart strip last week that I have that set to hard turn off my TV, FireTV, receiver, and subwoofer when I'm not using them. It all turns off automatically when I leave the house too, so there's no forgetting. Now my away days are down to $2-3/day. Friday I worked from home and I used $4, in loving July no less! It seems pretty small, but over a month I'm saving like $100.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Any of you guys use alarm.com based systems?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Any of you guys use alarm.com based systems?

Yes. What's your question?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Actually I have one single item in my growing smart home that is a disappointment. The Harmony Hub. The dang thing just loses connection. It's so close to being amazing. I can shout at my TV to do things! And it does it...90% of the time. It's reliable for the programmed events at least. So that's cool.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

Actually I have one single item in my growing smart home that is a disappointment. The Harmony Hub. The dang thing just loses connection. It's so close to being amazing. I can shout at my TV to do things! And it does it...90% of the time. It's reliable for the programmed events at least. So that's cool.

My Harmony Hub is 100% reliable. I've only had it about a month, but it's never lost connection and has worked flawlessly after the initial set up.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

Yes. What's your question?

None :) I worked for them for years and want to know how you like it. I can answer any deeper questions.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 3, 2017

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Slash posted:

My Harmony Hub is 100% reliable. I've only had it about a month, but it's never lost connection and has worked flawlessly after the initial set up.

I've had it for months and the only time I had slight troubles was when I switched out my router.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

None :) I worked for them for years and want to know how you like it. I can answer any deeper questions.

Generally like it (Frontpoint using the alarm.com backend), work out loving HomeKit integration already, and IFTTT support should have been in years ago.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I've got several ceiling fan/light combos in the house, and they're each wired up with a single switch that turns the whole thing on/off and there's what I assume is an aftermarket RF remote that controls the light dimming and fan speed.

So far I can't seem to find a z-wave fan speed and dimmer control. I DO see separate z-wave dimmers and speed controllers, but they're a switch replacement which won't work for me given how they're wired. Does anyone know of one that will fit up into the canopy? Ideally I'd like to retain a wall switch, if nothing else to flip it off and back on again to turn the light on (like if I could set it to turn the light on full and fan off by default if loses power).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

n.. posted:

I've got several ceiling fan/light combos in the house, and they're each wired up with a single switch that turns the whole thing on/off and there's what I assume is an aftermarket RF remote that controls the light dimming and fan speed.

So far I can't seem to find a z-wave fan speed and dimmer control. I DO see separate z-wave dimmers and speed controllers, but they're a switch replacement which won't work for me given how they're wired. Does anyone know of one that will fit up into the canopy? Ideally I'd like to retain a wall switch, if nothing else to flip it off and back on again to turn the light on (like if I could set it to turn the light on full and fan off by default if loses power).

I'd like to know myself.. I have 2 ceiling fan/light combos wired up this way. Normally I would just run another wire, but in both cases the switch is on an external wall and would be difficult to fish a new line down the wall to it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Kalman posted:

Generally like it (Frontpoint using the alarm.com backend), work out loving HomeKit integration already, and IFTTT support should have been in years ago.

IFTTT demand wasn't really there TBH. Homekit... Blame apple.

Dealers are simple people, 99.9% would tell you IFTTT is either a typo or an STD.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

n.. posted:

I've got the same thing. I've never found a good solution.

These z-wave things work for controlling two things, but they're typically meant to be installed behind the switch, which won't work for you since you've only got a single run of romex up to the fan.

https://www.zwaveoutlet.com/product...qRoCenoQAvD_BwE

I suppose you could eliminate the physical switch entirely and install that thing in the ceiling, but other problem is lack of speed control.

I actually like my existing cheap RF controller because it's got a thermostat, so I can have the fan kick on as the house heats up in the afternoon. I've opted to keep it and try to interface it to my Home Assistant.

HA has a software module for using $3 Chinese 433mhz GPIO things, but it's not perfect. You can wire up a receiver module and sniff the codes from your real remote. Then you just replay them, but your hub has to be in range, and you've got to constantly listen for commands from the remote so that HA knows status.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 3, 2017

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Ive asked before about a garage opener that works with both alexa and homekit. Chamberlain was supposed to release a smart hub on July 31 that did exactly that, but after that date passed it dropped off their website and I cant fond anything. Anyone have any ideas?

To clarify im not talking about the bridge which is supposed to add homekit to your existing myq enabled opener. This was supposed to be a standalone product that both gave you control over the garage door via app and was also compatible out of the bix with homekit. Am I crazy?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keystoned posted:

Ive asked before about a garage opener that works with both alexa and homekit. Chamberlain was supposed to release a smart hub on July 31 that did exactly that, but after that date passed it dropped off their website and I cant fond anything. Anyone have any ideas?

To clarify im not talking about the bridge which is supposed to add homekit to your existing myq enabled opener. This was supposed to be a standalone product that both gave you control over the garage door via app and was also compatible out of the bix with homekit. Am I crazy?

Chamberlain has been all over the map with their myq stuff with regards to supporting other services.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

I haven't done it yet, but I keep meaning to look into using a Pi to control my garage door and hooking it up to other services. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard if you're technically inclined and it'd be a neat little project...

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Control4 Programmer on-site course begins monday. :ohdear:

Scared that my old brain will not fit any additional learning.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Keystoned posted:

Is there an Alexa product that gives you basic low voltage relays to talk to? I soldered a couple wires to an extra wireless garage door opener (like what you put in your car) and my alarm panel has a relay output that activates and it's like I pushed the button on the remote.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droo posted:

Is there an Alexa product that gives you basic low voltage relays to talk to? I soldered a couple wires to an extra wireless garage door opener (like what you put in your car) and my alarm panel has a relay output that activates and it's like I pushed the button on the remote.

You can do it through an arduino and some code (IFTTT or Amazon SQS most likely), but I don't know of anything that works out of the box.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have a fence gate that I want to attach a sensor that lets me know when it's open and I can't find anything outdoor rated that works with zwave/smartthings for the life of me. There are lots of threads on the smartthings community site about rigging up homemade devices or trying to waterproof interior-rated devices but nothing seems like it's worth the effort/cost. This seems like a common need, why is there nothing available?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I was looking for something similar for a backyard gate, and it seems the state of the art is DIY.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WarMECH posted:

This seems like a common need, why is there nothing available?
Off the top of my head, communication and power. Wifi reception at the edge of most peoples' yards is probably spotty at best, and power might be a problem — wifi + battery would most likely be ... suboptimal in a device that may be triggered for a relatively long time (as opposed to something like a doorbell).

Just thinking out loud, though, I could be completely wrong.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm looking to hook up some outdoor cameras, over wifi, that records motion locally. I'd prefer battery so I don't need to drill holes.

I'm looking at Arlo Pro, and Blink XT.

I can get the Blink XT w/ 3 cameras for the price of Arlo Pro w/ 2 cameras.

What do you guys suggest?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know nothing about the Blink but I've had an Arlo Pro system since it was released and I'm looking to replace it with something wired. PIR motion detection sucks, there's a recording lag that causes missed action, the app is janky...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WarMECH posted:

I have a fence gate that I want to attach a sensor that lets me know when it's open and I can't find anything outdoor rated that works with zwave/smartthings for the life of me. There are lots of threads on the smartthings community site about rigging up homemade devices or trying to waterproof interior-rated devices but nothing seems like it's worth the effort/cost. This seems like a common need, why is there nothing available?

http://www.sensative.com/strips.html claims to be weatherproof for outdoors.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If there's a better thread for this, please let me know.

I've had a 3rd generation Nest thermostat since around October. Earlier this week, we had a couple of power flickers and a brief outage (all within a minute or two). Since then, the thermostat hasn't been able to connect to the Nest service, even if it says it's connected to the internet. I've reset the thermostat, rebooted my router, and assigned the Nest a static IP address. I called support and even the senior tech couldn't get it working. He did tell me that my router is on the list of ones that are known to be troublesome, but the connection has been fine for many months. I didn't even have a problem when I put dd-wrt on the router.

Any other things to try before I cave and buy a new router?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

If there's a better thread for this, please let me know.

I've had a 3rd generation Nest thermostat since around October. Earlier this week, we had a couple of power flickers and a brief outage (all within a minute or two). Since then, the thermostat hasn't been able to connect to the Nest service, even if it says it's connected to the internet. I've reset the thermostat, rebooted my router, and assigned the Nest a static IP address. I called support and even the senior tech couldn't get it working. He did tell me that my router is on the list of ones that are known to be troublesome, but the connection has been fine for many months. I didn't even have a problem when I put dd-wrt on the router.

Any other things to try before I cave and buy a new router?

Have you tried reseting it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yes. I even said so in my post.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Yes. I even said so in my post.

I even reread it looking for a mention and didn't find it. I guess it depends on how crappy your router is now but like you I have a hard time believing it will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Will they give you the list of crappy routers so you don't just get another one?