Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Eh, I never had any problems with sprint, but I'm cool with fi so I'm not planning to go back any time soon (I'll probably go T-Mobile though if I do switch from Fi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sub Rosa posted:

Most of the features I liked I'll still have via Google Voice, and hey, Sprint is giving away a free year of unlimited service.

did sprint finally upgrade their data systems to something better than tin cans and string? im genuinely curious

also, anyone get that email about Fi's data metering being screwed up during the past month or so? by chance, I actually noticed this in early June, where my Fi dashboard showed a much lower number of MB used compared to my system dashboard. Now I'm about a week into my July-August cycle, and the Fi meter is showing 500+ MB more than the system one. The email said they would deal with it by applying a bill credit, and checking my app right now it looks like they've given me over $5 in credit, so that's good. kinda weird though, im no expert on phone billing but "count the number, add to bill" seems like one of the easier parts lol

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 25, 2017

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did sprint finally upgrade their data systems to something better than tin cans and string? im genuinely curious

Certainly not in Chicago because whenever I'm on their towers I don't even get data with full bars.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I got the same email and ended up with $13 and change in credit. Except I used all that data :ninja:...

I'm guessing their data tracking poo poo the bed early in July. I took a road trip over the 4th and blew through my data using Spotify and Maps. I had used about 700 MB on my billing cycle before the trip , and that $13 basically matches up to the 1.3 GB my device reports I used from around that time. Oddly, though, my June bill came in at the $30 I usually spend per month.

Also, a few days ago I noticed Fi was telling me I had used something like 6 GB over the last month which is waaay more than I ever use. They must be either estimating bills based on previous cycles or simply ending bill periods early.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Considering I've gotten an alert 3 times in the last week that I've suddenly exceeded my 1GB while my phone reports only 700MB I'd say they're still sorting things out.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The last day of the cycle I went to bed being just being shy of 3gb of data used. I woke up because my phone was buzzing with a data overage alert and it showed that my data usage jumped to over 7gb used. I was pretty WTF about it and was going to call support but when I opened my account info it showed that they were going to charge me 0.00 for it. Pretty weird but the bill finalized where it normally does so whatever.

I just checked my account now and that data spike isn't even on there anymore at all.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Those of you that got a replacement phone out of warranty, did they charge you for the replacement before you sent back the old phone? Mine has a small dent by the volume control- will that negate the free replacement?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
They did charge me. They seemed to take back my old one without issue. I've had scratches all around the outside and there were dark spots in the LCD. No complaints were given.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Glass of Milk posted:

Those of you that got a replacement phone out of warranty, did they charge you for the replacement before you sent back the old phone? Mine has a small dent by the volume control- will that negate the free replacement?

They put a hold on your credit card but that's it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i did two in-warranty replacements when i first bought a 5x. I don't think they even put a hold on my card then, they just made sure to tell me like 5 times that if i didn't return the busted phone in time they'd charge me for it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google got some flack a while back for that credit charge. I can't find a story on it but the guy was a disabled man (possibly a veteran) and his phone broke but Google wanted to charge him when he couldn't afford it. I think the customer service were just being dicks to him so he brought it up online and Google waived the charge.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my replacement and they already accepted my return as soon as I had dropped off the old one at FedEx. Amazing how much better this refurb is than the old one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Welp, now my refurb 5x is bootlooping.
I really like this phone and service when the phone isn't bootlooping

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Welp, now my refurb 5x is bootlooping.
I really like this phone and service when the phone isn't bootlooping

When you move on to a Pixel, the 5x will feel like a Galaxy Nexus.

edit - Full disclosure, my wife and I are each both on our second Pixel in less than a year. My headphone jack and microphone died, which was some kind of production issue with solder if I remember. And my wife's charging port went bad, as well as some crazy issues with the home button not working and the top menu only pulling down halfway. Both were replaced immediately under warranty with no questions asked.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 4, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My wife is out of contract with ATT finally, she's likely going to switch since I've had a really good experience.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
Getting ready to give Fi a go. Anyone have a referral code I can use?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Cyborganizer posted:

Getting ready to give Fi a go. Anyone have a referral code I can use?

Sure!

https://g.co/fi/r/15320F

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Some kind of referral contest going on right now, FYI.

It only works if you use this referral link though...

https://g.co/fi/r/VT02AE

:angel:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone received the Android O update yet? I figured us Google fanatics would luck out and get it fairly soon after it was announced but nothing yet :qq:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Has anyone received the Android O update yet? I figured us Google fanatics would luck out and get it fairly soon after it was announced but nothing yet :qq:
Not on my Fi XL but with the weird thing people are saying about background app notifications I'm not sweating it.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I been using the beta since launch and have no complaints so far...

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I upgraded on th first day I just needed to manually check. Same for my coworker.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Both my and my wife's phones starting dying without warning somewhere between 20% and 35%; both above the battery saver threshold, so there was never any warning. I contacted support and went through their list of steps, including factory reset, and nothing worked. We were well past the warranty period, but I was able to get the replacement fee waived by asking support to escalate and mentioning I'd found a lot of people online having the same issue.

The only real annoyance was my wife had to go through the process herself--save the escalation because she referenced my helpdesk ticket--because Fi originally made us sign up separately.

She's loved the 6p's camera (one of the main reason's I went with it and Fi), so these refurbished ones should hold us over until the next Pixels come out and there's a sale.

Nothing quite like that fresh phone battery feeling.

I'm still pretty happy with the service; I don't make basically any calls and am on wifi all day at work and home. I get hit with the data notifications whenever we travel, but I love the simplicity of the plan and the fact you don't get penalized, just charged for what you use.

The service is kind of weird sometimes by me (outside Washington, DC), but the area is known for sudden 5-bars-to-deadzone drops for everyone, especially around some of the bases, although that may be coincidence (are cell towers allowed on government land?).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

Both my and my wife's phones starting dying without warning somewhere between 20% and 35%; both above the battery saver threshold, so there was never any warning. I contacted support and went through their list of steps, including factory reset, and nothing worked. We were well past the warranty period, but I was able to get the replacement fee waived by asking support to escalate and mentioning I'd found a lot of people online having the same issue.

The only real annoyance was my wife had to go through the process herself--save the escalation because she referenced my helpdesk ticket--because Fi originally made us sign up separately.

She's loved the 6p's camera (one of the main reason's I went with it and Fi), so these refurbished ones should hold us over until the next Pixels come out and there's a sale.

Nothing quite like that fresh phone battery feeling.

I'm still pretty happy with the service; I don't make basically any calls and am on wifi all day at work and home. I get hit with the data notifications whenever we travel, but I love the simplicity of the plan and the fact you don't get penalized, just charged for what you use.

The service is kind of weird sometimes by me (outside Washington, DC), but the area is known for sudden 5-bars-to-deadzone drops for everyone, especially around some of the bases, although that may be coincidence (are cell towers allowed on government land?).

So I've been having the same issue, but I knew my phone was out of warranty so I never really thought to hit up customer service until you posted this story.

Not only did they agree to replace my phone free of charge, they're upgrading my Nexus 6P to a Pixel XL, still for the free-ninety-nine! That's a hell of a way to start a long weekend, so thanks for motivating me to contact their customer service. :bubblewoop:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Am I correct in assuming that the video throttling Sprint and T-Mobile performs will impact Fi, since it rides on their network?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Am I correct in assuming that the video throttling Sprint and T-Mobile performs will impact Fi, since it rides on their network?

i think you are confused about how MVNO carriers work. that said, i have no idea. i would certainly hope not :stonk:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Johnny Truant posted:

So I've been having the same issue, but I knew my phone was out of warranty so I never really thought to hit up customer service until you posted this story.

Not only did they agree to replace my phone free of charge, they're upgrading my Nexus 6P to a Pixel XL, still for the free-ninety-nine! That's a hell of a way to start a long weekend, so thanks for motivating me to contact their customer service. :bubblewoop:

Glad to hear it.

I had this in my back pocket during the process, mostly for confidence, as I don't think threatening a potential class action lawsuit to a Tier 1 support rep is actually a good idea:

https://chimicles.com/google-nexus-6p-battery-early-shutoff-bootlooping-class-action-investigation/

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Just took my Nexus 6P on deployment across the Pacific. Had pretty decent coverage in Japan and Guam with 4G LTE speeds where they were available.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Similarly, had a great experience with my Pixel in Taiwan. My coverage was great throughout the capital and the transition was seamless.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Johnny Truant posted:

I've been meaning to call Google for a week or so, and decided to today. 15 minutes later and I've got a Pixel XL on its way to replace my 6P. I can't believe it, I was going to buy a Pixel 2 in a couple months, but I feel fine waiting for the Pixel 3 or maybe longer now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I called too early looks like. I only got my 6P replaced. No upgrade for me. :(

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Are you sure your replacement isn't having the same issue hint hint?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

I had my wife call in yesterday on her 6P (my old 6P) and now has a 128gb XL on the way. Now I'll have to find another outlet for my XL when the 2 comes out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Humerus posted:

I've been meaning to call Google for a week or so, and decided to today. 15 minutes later and I've got a Pixel XL on its way to replace my 6P. I can't believe it, I was going to buy a Pixel 2 in a couple months, but I feel fine waiting for the Pixel 3 or maybe longer now.

Exact same situation for me. Can definitely wait till the Pixel 2 is cheaper, then have a backup phone.

Also double the internal storage of my 6P!

:bubblewoop:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

FunOne posted:

128gb XL on the way

Johnny Truant posted:

Also double the internal storage of my 6P!

Now I somehow feel disappointed that my free upgrade is still 32GB just like my 6P.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I did the free 24-month financing for a Nexus 5X when I signed up for Fi over a year ago. I hope this will be a point in my favor if my (third) 5X decides to kick the bucket. The stories of some of you getting newer/better phones in exchange for your old defective ones are neat, but it's hard for me to balance those against the revolutionary idea of "wouldn't it be nice to buy a product and have it not break after a few months of use?".

Side note: the Project Fi financing never showed up on my credit report. At least, it didn't show up for TransUnion or Equifax...not sure about Experian. I assume that they must have made a "hard" credit check, but I never saw anything about it on the services I use to monitor my credit reports.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sub Rosa posted:

Now I somehow feel disappointed that my free upgrade is still 32GB just like my 6P.

The only Pixels are 32 and 128, so anyone with a 64 6P is just getting the upgrade, I guess. I haven't ever had to manage my storage on my 6P so I'm fine with 32.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Side note: the Project Fi financing never showed up on my credit report. At least, it didn't show up for TransUnion or Equifax...not sure about Experian. I assume that they must have made a "hard" credit check, but I never saw anything about it on the services I use to monitor my credit reports.
Hard pull Experian for me. Also didn't report as a trade line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Hard pull Experian for me. Also didn't report as a trade line.

I'm not familiar with the term "trade line" but a Web search leads me to believe it's another term for "account". Do you mean that it doesn't show up on your report in terms of "I paid on time", things like that?