Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

milk milk lemonade posted:

This happened to me a few months ago when read access was somehow removed from a directory partition resulting in a total loving of an entire domain. Still don't know how it happened :waycool:
:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got a double high five for fixing an insidious issue with a live 3d rendering plugin for Revit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I lol'd

I've decided that when I join conference calls I want to be able to play Stone Cold Steve Austin's entrance music for the first 10 seconds or so. Need to figure out how to cue that up. A man needs an entrance.
Call the conference line from a second phone, start playing that music, maybe do a little "Bah gawd, is that MC Fruit Stripe's music????", then join the conference call from your normal phone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use a softphone and enable the hidden stereo mix microphone source.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

I got a double high five for fixing an insidious issue with a live 3d rendering plugin for Revit.

Outstanding !

Have a virtual fist bump too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Okay folks, if you are a system administrator in the DFW area and aren't happy with your job, the iron is so loving hot it might as well be the surface of the sun. Seriously, put the smallest amount of feelers out there and you will be loving shocked.

While I am drunk as gently caress and looking up the best places to buy scarves and beanies to fit in, a friend of mine who has only has about 4 years of jr sysadmin/sysadmin experience just got an offer of 108k where 3 of that was jr sysadmin stuff. Employers are falling over themselves for anyone who will put on a tie and be energetic. I had to loving convince him to even do a small search. Please do yourself a favor, now, today, tomorrow, please.

Meanwhile I am starting out with 5 loving weeks of pto as well as 3 weeks of paid paternity at 100%. I am due to have my second in October and that is loving nuts to me. I even brought it up in the interview like a dunce before I knew it was a thing. I work at place with a free staffed coffee bar. Free snacks and drinks. Telecommuting. A dress code so lax that the female staff is basically universally in yoga pants. Oh yeah, there is free gym classes during week days in the company gym. I was told that it was the perfect time to come on board because my first week will be the hibachi party where they shut down operations go to a hibachi restaurant to eat and get loving sloshed.

Meanwhile two weeks ago I was just happy my company was getting free popcorn. Pod. Me. Now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Okay folks, if you are a system administrator in the DFW area and aren't happy with your job, the iron is so loving hot it might as well be the surface of the sun. Seriously, put the smallest amount of feelers out there and you will be loving shocked.

While I am drunk as gently caress and looking up the best places to buy scarves and beanies to fit in, a friend of mine who has only has about 4 years of jr sysadmin/sysadmin experience just got an offer of 108k where 3 of that was jr sysadmin stuff. Employers are falling over themselves for anyone who will put on a tie and be energetic. I had to loving convince him to even do a small search. Please do yourself a favor, now, today, tomorrow, please.

Meanwhile I am starting out with 5 loving weeks of pto as well as 3 weeks of paid paternity at 100%. I am due to have my second in October and that is loving nuts to me. I even brought it up in the interview like a dunce before I knew it was a thing. I work at place with a free staffed coffee bar. Free snacks and drinks. Telecommuting. A dress code so lax that the female staff is basically universally in yoga pants. Oh yeah, there is free gym classes during week days in the company gym. I was told that it was the perfect time to come on board because my first week will be the hibachi party where they shut down operations go to a hibachi restaurant to eat and get loving sloshed.

Meanwhile two weeks ago I was just happy my company was getting free popcorn. Pod. Me. Now.

Baller. The only reason I stay where I'm at is the 28 days of PTO. I'd heavily consider jumping ship for 6 figures and 20 days of PTO. I'm down in SAT though, market isn't as crazy here.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

I got it restored but it broke everything for a day. Started when RDS wasn't allowing logins and the license manager looked hosed up so I redid the whole server. Then I started getting reports of GPO failures and login issues for anyone that wasn't cached somewhere. I was tearing my hair out and starting to get worried I'd need to stand up a new forest and start migrating with ADMT. Was also aggressively pursuing possible network issues cause I was confused as gently caress.

Eventually realized most everything straight up couldn't read the directory anymore. Never seen that poo poo before in my life.

Another tech was working with MS on an Azure AD Sync problem with password sync not working even though we troubleshot the issue backwards, forwards, upside down. The MS tech ran a script at the same time we started having issues. I think the one they showed me later isn't the one they actually ran, but I can't prove it. They never explained wtf was wrong with the password sync either.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Baller. The only reason I stay where I'm at is the 28 days of PTO. I'd heavily consider jumping ship for 6 figures and 20 days of PTO. I'm down in SAT though, market isn't as crazy here.

You know this because you are looking or because you are guessing? Not saying that as a burn, because I would have said the market was strong , but not this blazing hot until I started looking. I guess looking for jobs in the summer make sense though.

San Antonio might also be dealing with the issues caused my Austin though. That place doesn't make sense.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

gently caress it, I'm going to start really looking in earnest - I'm in DFW. I'm not a sysadmin but I don't think getting into jr. sysadmin stuff would be that much of a stretch for me.

Any unique avenues you guys took? I'm assuming Indeed/Dice/LinkedIn/etc is still fine?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

gently caress it, I'm going to start really looking in earnest - I'm in DFW. I'm not a sysadmin but I don't think getting into jr. sysadmin stuff would be that much of a stretch for me.

Any unique avenues you guys took? I'm assuming Indeed/Dice/LinkedIn/etc is still fine?

Indeed is without a doubt the best job site right now. It look like poo poo, but its by far the cheapest avenue to post a job. More jobs , more opportunities, it just works. Linkedin is also great too. Generally if its on linkedin, its also on indeed.

I suggest for those time in between looking up things on indeed, just do the google maps route. Look at places in your area, find their website, look for open jobs. Its amazing how many open positions are posted on a companies personal website that gets no traffic.

Indeed was all I needed and how I found my next gig. I also got hounded by linkedin for the position in advertisements. Now I just need to learn how to enjoy coffee.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Indeed is without a doubt the best job site right now. It look like poo poo, but its by far the cheapest avenue to post a job. More jobs , more opportunities, it just works. Linkedin is also great too. Generally if its on linkedin, its also on indeed.

I suggest for those time in between looking up things on indeed, just do the google maps route. Look at places in your area, find their website, look for open jobs. Its amazing how many open positions are posted on a companies personal website that gets no traffic.

Indeed was all I needed and how I found my next gig. I also got hounded by linkedin for the position in advertisements. Now I just need to learn how to enjoy coffee.

I applied to two positions since I posted that basically just wanted someone with solid support experience to transition into working with AD administration, Azure, etc just since I asked heh. Kinda annoyed that I didn't do this sooner. They both sounded like an MSP which isn't really my bag, but interviewing never hurts.

Thanks for the advice and information! I'll look at local companies like you suggested tomorrow.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

You know this because you are looking or because you are guessing? Not saying that as a burn, because I would have said the market was strong , but not this blazing hot until I started looking. I guess looking for jobs in the summer make sense though.

San Antonio might also be dealing with the issues caused my Austin though. That place doesn't make sense.

100% conjecture on my part. Honestly I'm just being lazy, I haven't updated my resume in 6, maybe 7 years, and my LinkedIn is empty on purpose.

I really like my job and really don't have any intention of leaving, but poo poo...if 6 figures with 4+ weeks of PTO and a solid PPO plan is out there I'd really have to think about it. Houston is on the table as well, my wife's family is all in Baton Rouge. and being 4 1/2 hours away instead of 7 1/2 would be nice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Sickening and JDS, where are you located? I'm in Frisco. Maybe we finally need to find ourselves in the same area.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I was going to post a job listing I found on indeed that was asking for 2-10yrs of help desk/sysadmin experience for a help desk position but then I realized it was perhaps too much name & shame.

Why yes, after being a sysadmin for 8 years I'd love to come work on your help desk.

if your help is helping pay my bills from a tropical beach for 140k/yr and I don't have to sit at a desk, I'm quite interested

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

Don't get me started. I wanted to move to Dallas when my dad was still alive because I could snag a 200k job and pay 100k for a house.

Wife was all like, "but I'm a nurse, how am I gonna find a new job? and who is gonna watch the kids I want to have?"

It's hot as gently caress, but I miss Pecan Lodge every goddamn day.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Didn't realize there were so many DFW goons in this thread, but it kind of makes sense, tech jobs in the area are plentiful.

I work remotely for a company in Austin doing :yaycloud: things, but a month of PTO and low-mid six figgies might convince me to put on pants once in a while if the fit is good.

Maybe. I really don't like pants.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How hosed is the housing market in DFW? Not that I'm going to relocate, but I want to get an idea of how equivalent my current salary would be there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just had a great surprise. This is my first salary position. I missed the first two days I was supposed to be a permanent employee. Long story short, when they say don't drink a lot of water the day of your drug test they mean it. I thought I was going to be missing those two days pay. Apparently I did not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

How hosed is the housing market in DFW? Not that I'm going to relocate, but I want to get an idea of how equivalent my current salary would be there.

Housing supply is on the low side these days. I bought a house in flower mound after the crash. My house has gained almost 40% in value. Living in the nice burbs is tougher than ever, but still more manageable than the good places on the west coast by far.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sickening and JDS, where are you located? I'm in Frisco. Maybe we finally need to find ourselves in the same area.

I'm in central-ish Plano, so pretty close. And sure, I'd be down - I think there's quite few more DFW people here and in the other threads too. Never met Internet people before but you guys are probably ok heh. I just need decent notice ahead of time to account for family stuff (I think y'all can relate).

Vargatron posted:

Plano at least has gone up by maybe 30% in the last few years. Our 3BR/2BA has gone up about 45% since we bought it, and it's not really possible to buy a 3BR for less than 280k now. Lots of companies are moving in (Toyota NA being the biggest one) and are bringing their employees with them.

I'm vaguely aware that these sorts of prices aren't really scandalous across the majority of cities in the States, but yeah, things are definitely trending upward.

That said, DFW is a big area and it keeps getting bigger. I'm pretty sure the outer suburbs are still alright, but I don't track them..

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do y'all need someone to clear copier paper jams?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
:yotj:

My time has come. Goodbye, finance. I won't miss you at all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Call the conference line from a second phone, start playing that music, maybe do a little "Bah gawd, is that MC Fruit Stripe's music????", then join the conference call from your normal phone.

This is good. Be sure to queue up some strong Jim Ross hype man drops for opportune times during the call, too. "I'm sorry, Brad, but I've said it a thousand times already. I'm just not buying a personal printer for every sales person's desk...AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE" "THERE IT IS, THE STUNNER! HE KILLED EM! MY GOD, HE KILLED EM! STONE COLD!!!!!"

Then every once in a while mix it up. "Hi, who just joined?" "... JOHN CENA!!!! *explosion doo doo doo dooooo*

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

drat that's not too shabby. Maybe one day I'll find a market like that in the Great White North.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Docjowles posted:

This is good. Be sure to queue up some strong Jim Ross hype man drops for opportune times during the call, too. "I'm sorry, Brad, but I've said it a thousand times already. I'm just not buying a personal printer for every sales person's desk...AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE" "THERE IT IS, THE STUNNER! HE KILLED EM! MY GOD, HE KILLED EM! STONE COLD!!!!!"

Then every once in a while mix it up. "Hi, who just joined?" "... JOHN CENA!!!! *explosion doo doo doo dooooo*

As a Canadian, I need Bret "The Hitman" Hart's entrance music when I join a call. *plots on how to splice that in to the softphone system*

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
turd

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 26, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Chickenwalker posted:

Aren't Texas Anderson and a bunch of other really good medical centers down there?

I live in New York and work in broadcast engineering/IT but poo poo I'm thinking about moving down there. Better pay, lower cost of living, getting out of this loving awful city...sign me up.

Texas is the land of hospitals.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As a Canadian, I need Bret "The Hitman" Hart's entrance music when I join a call. *plots on how to splice that in to the softphone system*

http://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I'm basically spinning aimlessly and feel like it would help if somebody with experience could set me straight.

I graduated with an MIS bachelor's degree a year and a half ago and worked a web marketing internship for six months while I was in school. Right after graduation, I got picked up for an Information Systems Technician gig by a small plastics manufacturer in the area and have been doing basically nothing while I'm here. Like, there's so few users in this company that most of the day I'm sitting around bored just begging for my phone to ring or an email to come in. The infrastructure this company works on has been in place for 20+ years and most of the software they work with is antiquated. We're still using Novell for god's sake. And Wordperfect.

I feel like I'm wasting my life away, and I want to find a job where I actually learn about modern practices and help people and do things.

I've been studying for the A+ during my free time at work because I feel like that'll be a good first step into preparing myself for things like a CCNA or Net+. I've just been finding it difficult to stay motivated recently, as I'm looking for jobs but am basically disqualified by the fact that I haven't learned anything the whole time I've been here. Like, no experience with a ticketing system (company's too small to justify one), no networking experience (nothing has changed since I got here). It feels like the only things I have done are manage the Symantec suite and perform manual Malwarebytes scans when my boss starts getting paranoid.

So, I imagine I should really stick to my studying and get the A+ squared away as soon as possible right? And should I keep sticking out and looking for full-time opportunities? Or should I take the plunge and look into contracts instead? The non-traditional concept of a volatile income source like a contract is scary to me. Metro Detroit, if that's important.

Help, goons.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Texas is the land of hospitals.

We are mainly based out of Florida and even we have 4 hospitals in Texas and I think we are trying to add/buy into more.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Deino posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I'm basically spinning aimlessly and feel like it would help if somebody with experience could set me straight.

I graduated with an MIS bachelor's degree a year and a half ago and worked a web marketing internship for six months while I was in school. Right after graduation, I got picked up for an Information Systems Technician gig by a small plastics manufacturer in the area and have been doing basically nothing while I'm here. Like, there's so few users in this company that most of the day I'm sitting around bored just begging for my phone to ring or an email to come in. The infrastructure this company works on has been in place for 20+ years and most of the software they work with is antiquated. We're still using Novell for god's sake. And Wordperfect.

I feel like I'm wasting my life away, and I want to find a job where I actually learn about modern practices and help people and do things.

I've been studying for the A+ during my free time at work because I feel like that'll be a good first step into preparing myself for things like a CCNA or Net+. I've just been finding it difficult to stay motivated recently, as I'm looking for jobs but am basically disqualified by the fact that I haven't learned anything the whole time I've been here. Like, no experience with a ticketing system (company's too small to justify one), no networking experience (nothing has changed since I got here). It feels like the only things I have done are manage the Symantec suite and perform manual Malwarebytes scans when my boss starts getting paranoid.

So, I imagine I should really stick to my studying and get the A+ squared away as soon as possible right? And should I keep sticking out and looking for full-time opportunities? Or should I take the plunge and look into contracts instead? The non-traditional concept of a volatile income source like a contract is scary to me. Metro Detroit, if that's important.

Help, goons.

No business is too small for a ticket system. Even if you are the only one that will ever log into it, you should have Spiceworks on your desktop.

Study for your certs, setup a home lab.

I'm seriously surprised that a network that hasn't been updated in 20 years is as problem free as you make it sound.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do you have access to a db? Write your own ticket program!

Seriously, I got so annoyed back around 2001 that I rolled up my sleeves and wrote my own in FileMaker. I revamp it every time I change jobs and at this point it tracks tickets, hardware, software and cellphones. Each asset has a history so I know when it was purchased and for how much, warranty expiration, who has used it, repairs... the whole shebang. I can run a quick report and it will show me all warranties expiring within 30 days so I can choose to renew them. Each computer has a list of licensed software and clicking the entry takes me to the software table for specifics.

It's been a good exercise and made my life so much easier.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes, no, and not here but in literally every other county it is for some reason.

Point is, am I broken for not wanting to waste my vacation days on interviewing for a job that I won't take or for going home and drinking a beer instead of relentlessly applying for new jobs I don't yet want?
I mean I get the idea of keeping your resume and skills up to date, but my coworker gives me the impression that I'm wasting my life for not interviewing for a new job at least once a month.
Is that typical? Do you all really do that poo poo?

Dude,

It sounds like you are perfectly content doing what you are doing and have a long term financial plan that sounds sound and attainable.

You are feeling secure until your coworker threw shade on your style. Ignore him and keep on trucking. If you don't want to interview, then don't. Stick to your plan, vest, then take a look around.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I got a pretty ridiculous raise

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

The Fool posted:

No business is too small for a ticket system. Even if you are the only one that will ever log into it, you should have Spiceworks on your desktop.
I'm seriously surprised that a network that hasn't been updated in 20 years is as problem free as you make it sound.

The closest thing we have is an Excel spreadsheet where we just record the important things we did over the course of the day. It can go multiple days without anybody adding anything.

And I'm so far removed from anything regarding our network that I wouldn't even know if it did have a problem. We haven't had a single new hire since I arrived. And the current users haven't complained. The only time I can remember anybody even going into our server closet was to make sure the ceiling hadn't collapsed after a particularly violent rainstorm, or to work on the phone lines (since they're still analog).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Methanar posted:

I got a pretty ridiculous raise

congrats!

was there a particular reason? or 'just because'

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deino posted:

The closest thing we have is an Excel spreadsheet where we just record the important things we did over the course of the day. It can go multiple days without anybody adding anything.

And I'm so far removed from anything regarding our network that I wouldn't even know if it did have a problem. We haven't had a single new hire since I arrived. And the current users haven't complained. The only time I can remember anybody even going into our server closet was to make sure the ceiling hadn't collapsed after a particularly violent rainstorm, or to work on the phone lines (since they're still analog).

Depending on what part of metro Detroit, I might be able to point you to a few places. I walked into quicken with a little IT experience, but good people and presentation skills, and landed a pretty decent job that I'm constantly learning in.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

I applied to an IT position at Quicken just last week, along with a referral from a friend of mine in a different department, and I didn't even get a phone call. :(

I would appreciate any opportunity, though.

Deino fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deino posted:

I applied to an IT position at Quicken just last week, along with a referral from a friend of mine in a different department, and I didn't even get a phone call. :(

I would appreciate any opportunity, though.

What did you apply for? HR is very slow sometimes. Hit me up in a pm or something I'd you want to take it out of the thread. My brother works for a pretty decent MSP in Ann arbor that I could recommend, if that's convenient.