Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

OwlFancier posted:

Or at least paint the faces and then stick the rest on mannequins.

Dude. Mannequins don't just grow on trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/evidence-that-humans-had-farms-30000-years-earlier-than-previously-thought/

I've always thought we're going to find out urbanized civilization is much older than we believe it to be, I'm glad to see research being done and some preliminary evidence in that direction.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/evidence-that-humans-had-farms-30000-years-earlier-than-previously-thought/

I've always thought we're going to find out urbanized civilization is much older than we believe it to be, I'm glad to see research being done and some preliminary evidence in that direction.

Yeah, agriculture in the New World has always baffled me. It seemed to have arisen independently of but almost simultaneously with Old World agriculture. The coincidence was a bit too remarkable and has stuck in my craw.

The notion that basic agricultural skills were widespread and were brought with them to the New World makes a lot more sense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, agriculture in the New World has always baffled me. It seemed to have arisen independently of but almost simultaneously with Old World agriculture. The coincidence was a bit too remarkable and has stuck in my craw.

The notion that basic agricultural skills were widespread and were brought with them to the New World makes a lot more sense.

The explanation I've seen floated for the timing is that simply was when the climate had changed enough to make farming work, and that would have been a global phenomenon. But that would also fit with the idea that people already had the idea of agriculture from the tropics and were able to apply it to newly arable lands in places like the Fertile Crescent.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HEY GAIL posted:

Everhard Kockman

Mods, name change please.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Saw this today. Thought some of you may be interested to read about it and who knows, maybe one of you has the required expertise/knowledge to assist.

Translate these chinese characters for 15 000$ each

poo poo, the one time studying ancient Chinese would have gotten me more money than studying modern Chinese. Surprised they got so much translated, even common characters are extremely different from the oracle bone script. Kind of interested in how the process works, these are old enough the radicals might not have been standardized yet and in modern Chinese, you typically use two characters when writing words down, and the meaning of a character changed dramatically based on context.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's some racists being dumb about the ancient world.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/06/19/classicist-finds-herself-target-online-threats-after-article-ancient-statues

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/roman-britain-black-white/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Fromage posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like Gobekli Tepe turns out to be an example of a highly developed religion similar to later known pantheons surrounding the agricultural cycle. Like sure you would have had people worshipping stuff in hopes of a good hunt where nobody gets trampled or in hopes of finding good food on forage, but once you set down roots and start growing stuff and domesticating animals you have a lot more things to pray for and start thanking various figures for.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

While today’s scholars have accepted this as fact, she said, the general public is another story. Part of the problem is that most museums and art history textbooks continue to contain “a predominantly neon white display of skin tone when it comes to classical statues and sarcophagi.”
The “assemblage of neon whiteness serves to create a false idea of homogeneity -- everyone was very white! -- across the Mediterranean region,” she continued. “The Romans, in fact, did not define people as ‘white’; where, then, did this notion of race come from? … The equation of white marble with beauty is not an inherent truth of the universe.”

Bond suggests this misunderstanding has perpetuated or been used to support racism over time, saying that “how it continues to influence white supremacist ideas today [is] often ignored.” Groups such as Identity Europa, for example, use classical statuary “as a symbol of white male superiority,” she added. “It may have taken just one classical statue to influence the false construction of race, but it will take many of us to tear it down.”

Huh. You know, I never made that kind of connection, that the white statues meant the person depicted was supposed to be white.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kassad posted:

Huh. You know, I never made that kind of connection, that the white statues meant the person depicted was supposed to be white.
i think the idea goes back to Winckelmann, and whether we know it or not we still live in the world he made.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kassad posted:

(Scipio Africanus)

and

(Lucius Junius Brutus, the guy who killed the last Roman king)

would probably blow their dang minds. Sometimes you just make the statues with the material you feel is most artistically appropriate. Then of course you paint it a bunch of wild-rear end colors and in a thousand years some screwball goes around knocking the dicks off all your statues with a hammer and chisel.

e: Also that bronze head of Augustus that got lopped off its body by raiders and buried under a staircase in Sudan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mero%C3%AB_Head

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 4, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

HEY GAIL posted:

i think the idea goes back to Winckelmann, and whether we know it or not we still live in the world he made.

Bond's original article about this is certainly enlightening, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FAUXTON posted:

(Scipio Africanus)

Only slightly related, but I think it's pretty loving cool that Romans traditionally had beards until Africanus came along, and after he became the savior of Rome the fashion became to shave for like the next 300 years.

My mental image of Roman men is always of clean-shaven guys, and that's pretty much down to one guy (I think?) making it popular.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey guys, just as a quick thing but what is the name of the guy who does the really good History of Rome podcast?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mike Duncan probs

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jerusalem posted:

Only slightly related, but I think it's pretty loving cool that Romans traditionally had beards until Africanus came along, and after he became the savior of Rome the fashion became to shave for like the next 300 years.

My mental image of Roman men is always of clean-shaven guys, and that's pretty much down to one guy (I think?) making it popular.

His long hair did not catch on though, cause that was just too much.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Josef bugman posted:

Hey guys, just as a quick thing but what is the name of the guy who does the really good History of Rome podcast?

Phobophilia posted:

Mike Duncan probs

Depends on if you mean past History of Rome podcast - in which case yes, Mike Duncan, currently doing Revolutions and with a book on pre-order about Rome now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9ZJXZJ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 - or the current Fall of Rome podcast - in which case, Patrick Wyman: https://fallofromepodcast.wordpress.com/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

His long hair did not catch on though, cause that was just too much.

I'm positive this is the REAL reason why he left Rome and basically put,"gently caress you Rome you ungrateful assholes" on his tombstone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I ran across a pretty well-made podcast called Tides of History. It seems to be similar to, say, Extra History but with a way better speaker and a deeper look at broader topics. I.e. instead of an event or entity, the guy's going over the birth of the state as a sociopolitical concept (as separate from, say, a kingdom)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FAUXTON posted:

I ran across a pretty well-made podcast called Tides of History. It seems to be similar to, say, Extra History but with a way better speaker and a deeper look at broader topics. I.e. instead of an event or entity, the guy's going over the birth of the state as a sociopolitical concept (as separate from, say, a kingdom)

That's Patrick Wyman - Tides of History is a spinoff or sequel to his Fall of Rome series. https://fallofromepodcast.wordpress.com/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh it's just so horribly perfect that a famous economist chose to wade in against Mary Beard like he had any loving business arguing the history of Roman Britain with a Roman Britain expert. And he had the gall to say "I have more citations than you."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
calling taleb a "famous economist" seems a bit generous imo

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Non-historians seem to have a hard time imagining what a well-researched academic like Beard would know that the general public doesn't. Like, we understand that there are people who know more about mathematics or physics than you learn in high school, but the concept of knowing more about Roman history than a particularly curious freshman is a stumbling block.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kellsterik posted:

Non-historians seem to have a hard time imagining what a well-researched academic like Beard would know that the general public doesn't. Like, we understand that there are people who know more about mathematics or physics than you learn in high school, but the concept of knowing more about Roman history than a particularly curious freshman is a stumbling block.

It's a classic Dunning-Kruger effect. Real historians know that everything is really complicated, that there's interrelated stuff going on simultaneously in multiple places, all influencing each other in unobvious ways - while an outsider thinks in terms of linear stories.

They don't know enough to know how ignorant they are.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
That's all true but in this case it just comes down to NNT being a jackass, he does this all the time with all kinds of fields

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey Antiquity thread! I've got a question about coinage. Every roman/greek coin that I see seems beat to hell and not really round, like these:

Is that the result of a thousand years of wear or were they just generally struck kind of irregularly? They're not even round!

(quoting post below so I know where I was when I stopped reading in order and asked a question, please disregard)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The abnormal shape is mostly due to the fact that they were hand struck. They weren't punched out mechanically like we do now.

You might also get what was known of as "clipping" where people would file of the edges of the coins. Imagine if you could shave half a cent of silver off a dime, spend the dime, and then grab your pile of silver shavings and cash that out as well. This is why later coinage started to have designs very close to the edge or, better yet, designs on the rim itself to make it obvious if a coin had been clipped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a combination of wear and tear, clipping/shaving, and ancient mints not being perfect. As long as the weight was correct and the alloy was the correct purity (assuming you're in a state with exact standards for that) that was what mattered.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is why later coinage started to have designs very close to the edge or, better yet, designs on the rim itself to make it obvious if a coin had been clipped.

This is why some coins like quarters have those ridges on the edge. I believe the Romans invented that but it may have been Greeks. Obviously for modern coins it's just decorative.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I believe for modern coins they're meant to be an aid for the visually-impaired as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i wanna make money off debasing some currency

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAIL posted:

i wanna make money off debasing some currency

Let me guess, step two is investing in Bohemian real estate?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Until one man brought it back - Romans became beardos again under Hadrian :hist101:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

nothing like free real estate

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

xthetenth posted:

We're in the ancient history thread, so I'm pretty sure step 2 is "debase it some more because we don't have the historical examples to understand inflation"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sure they understood what inflation was.
Political expediency trumped good sense time and time again tho.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I really liked reading The Black Swan. Seeing Taleb act this way is a big dissapointment.:(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Can someone give more info about this bit of Aurelian's reign?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelian#Felicissimus.27_rebellion_and_coinage_reform

The revolt seems to have been caused by the fact that the mint workers, and Felicissimus first, were accustomed to stealing the silver for the coins and producing coins of inferior quality. Aurelian wanted to eliminate this, and put Felicissimus on trial.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

euphronius posted:

I'm reading a book about the early modern period right now and it repeatedly claims that the influx of spanish silver driving up prices was an unexpected consequence to people at the time (though they figured it out rapidly once it happened, but with the wrong economic explanation for why more silver = higher prices).

Debased currency is a different form of inflation than an influx of wealth though, and one with a much much clearer cause and effect so I wouldn't be surprised if that one was much better understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

rulers had no clue about inflation for a startlingly long time. the intuitiveness of how money behaves to us is because we live under capitalism and the flow of money is very fast now, so its dynamics are more easily observed.

they understood why debasing coinage was bad by framing it in terms of loss of precious metal content, and still did it anyway for political reasons, sure. but the idea that more currency could be bad in and of itself? not so much