Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

sassassin posted:

He's not really much different from Sauron and Saruman in how he operates, only in his choice of allies. Posh hobbits, elvish nobility and horselords vs. history's downtrodden underclasses.
Gandalf definitely uses people to further his ends, but I am pretty comfortable saying that there is a significant difference between him manipulating various people toward his goals and the guy who literally schemed to turn people into undying wraiths bound to his will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I deeply appreciate how this thread consists mostly of bullshitting about subversive readings.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

When I was a teenage atheist I convinced myself for a minute that Tolkien intentionally wrote the Sil stories as Elvish religious propaganda and that there was no evidence for Eru Iluvatar actually existing.

Now I'm happy to just accept that one of my favorite authors was a Catholic!

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ashcans posted:

I suppose that Gandalf could have tried to get him to bury it in the back yard or something instead of holding on to it.

They actually discuss this during the meeting in Rivendell - something about throwing it into the ocean. But someone (Gandalf maybe) says no, they have to solve it here for all time, not punt it down the road for future generations, because they know the Ring will find a way to turn up again like it did after it was lost in the Gladden Fields.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ashcans posted:

Gandalf definitely uses people to further his ends, but I am pretty comfortable saying that there is a significant difference between him manipulating various people toward his goals and the guy who literally schemed to turn people into undying wraiths bound to his will.

Sauron only did that to the ruling classes, it was never widespread public policy.

Radagast is the only truly moral maiar/wizard in the books, and even he was portrayed as likely to seek to enforce his form of order on middle earth eventually (as Man continued to encroach upon nature).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bongo Bill posted:

I deeply appreciate how this thread consists mostly of bullshitting about subversive readings.

I like thinking about LOTR from the point of view of one of the thousands of Gondorian peasants living in one of those western parts of Gondor directly south of the White Mountains.

"Well so I guess the Evil One arose in Mordor and came out with a huge army of monsters? Or something? And we won? I dunno, I was busy fixing the barn roof and drinking homebrew and having sex with my wife."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

hannibal posted:

They actually discuss this during the meeting in Rivendell - something about throwing it into the ocean. But someone (Gandalf maybe) says no, they have to solve it here for all time, not punt it down the road for future generations, because they know the Ring will find a way to turn up again like it did after it was lost in the Gladden Fields.

Glorfindel suggests it, Gandalf shoots him down. It's right after they've floated a bunch of alternative solutions -- giving it to Bombadil (he doesn't care enough about it), sending it to Valinor (the gods wouldn't let you, according to Elrond), or hiding it away in Rivendell or Lorien or the Havens (they aren't strong enough to defy Sauron). Gandalf brings up that the lands and seas may change in the future and the ring be brought to light again, which is a pretty fair point honestly. They also make an argument against trying to send it overseas because that's what Sauron will expect them to do (?) and he will try and seize the Ring on the way to the Havens -- not really clear how since the Nazgul don't seem to be about again yet.

Then right after that Boromir wonders why all they can talk about is "hiding and destroying", etc.

My point/joke was not that Gandalf had so many better options because he obviously didn't, but that he left Frodo in a desperately risky situation without even letting him know what was going on. Frodo is understandably pretty upset when he figures out what was going on. In "Shadow of the Past", when Gandalf lets on that Bilbo's ring was a Ring of Power, Frodo asks him how long he's known, and if Bilbo knew. Gandalf evades the first question and answers the second, exonerates Bilbo of blame. Frodo asks again how long he has known about the Ring, and Gandalf gets kind of testy with him:

quote:

‘Known?’ said Gandalf. ‘I have known much that only the Wise know, Frodo. But if you mean “known about this ring”, well, I still do not know, one might say. There is a last test to make. But I no longer doubt my guess.
‘When did I first begin to guess?’ he mused, searching back in memory. ‘Let me see – it was in the year that the White Council drove the Dark Power from Mirkwood, just before the Battle of Five Armies, that Bilbo found his ring. A shadow fell on my heart then, though I did not know yet what I feared. I wondered often how Gollum came by a Great Ring, as plainly it was – that at least was clear from the first.

In other words, he has been at least suspicious about the Ring, and felt certain it was a ring of power, for longer than Frodo has been alive.

He goes on to explain to Frodo a bit about the history of the Ring, how Sauron lost it, Gollum, etc. Frodo is still kind of worried that Gandalf is jerking him around here:

quote:

“But how have you learned all this about the Ring, and about Gollum? Do you really know it all, or are you just guessing still?’
Gandalf looked at Frodo, and his eyes glinted. ‘I knew much and I have learned much,’ he answered. ‘But I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you. The history of Elendil and Isildur and the One Ring is known to all the Wise. Your ring is shown to be that One Ring by the fire-writing alone, apart from any other evidence.’
‘And when did you discover that?’ asked Frodo, interrupting.
‘Just now in this room, of course,’ answered the wizard sharply. ‘But I expected to find it.”

Gandalf is feeling a bit needled here. Frodo's overriding concern seems to be whether Gandalf was aware that he was leaving Frodo ignorantly in keeping of a deadly powerful magical artifact that destroys its owner, or whether he was himself negligent and ignorant about a deadly powerful magical artifact. It seems that there's a bit of both, which doesn't exactly reassure Frodo. Later in their conversation Gandalf tries to give a better accounting of his behavior:

quote:

“All the same,’ said Frodo, ‘even if Bilbo could not kill Gollum, I wish he had not kept the Ring. I wish he had never found it, and that I had not got it! Why did you let me keep it? Why didn’t you make me throw it away, or destroy it?’
‘Let you? Make you?’ said the wizard. ‘Haven’t you been listening to all that I have said? You are not thinking of what you are saying. But as for throwing it away, that was obviously wrong. These Rings have a way of being found. In evil hands it might have done great evil. Worst of all, it might have fallen into the hands of the Enemy. Indeed it certainly would; for this is the One, and he is exerting all his power to find it or draw it to himself.
Of course, my dear Frodo, it was dangerous for you; and that has troubled me deeply. But there was so much at stake that I had to take some risk – though even when I was far away there has never been a day when the Shire has not been guarded by watchful eyes. As long as you never used it, I did not think that the Ring would have any lasting effect on you, not for evil, not at any rate for a very long time. And you must remember that nine years ago, when I last saw you, I still knew little for certain.”

This still doesn't console Frodo very much. He doesn't blame Gandalf for anything because the situation is obviously not Gandalf's fault, and because without him he would still be completely clueless, and because going forward Gandalf's advice is really all he has to go on. But in the course of the conversation it's clear he feels kind of hard done by.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Elrond just doesn't want to have to call another Council in a thousand years with the same faces asking the same questions.

"Where should we hide it this time?"
"Well, Anduin didn't work, and the sea didn't work. Maybe a really deep shaft in Moria?"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

hannibal posted:

Even if it doesn't turn up again, the free peoples are still losing the war badly, since its works survive (like the foundations of Barad-dur) and Sauron still has access to most of his native power (which would be increased again if he got it back). They would've been totally defeated if not for the ring's destruction.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Glorfindel suggests it, Gandalf shoots him down. It's right after they've floated a bunch of alternative solutions -- giving it to Bombadil (he doesn't care enough about it), sending it to Valinor (the gods wouldn't let you, according to Elrond), or hiding it away in Rivendell or Lorien or the Havens (they aren't strong enough to defy Sauron). Gandalf brings up that the lands and seas may change in the future and the ring be brought to light again, which is a pretty fair point honestly. They also make an argument against trying to send it overseas because that's what Sauron will expect them to do (?) and he will try and seize the Ring on the way to the Havens -- not really clear how since the Nazgul don't seem to be about again yet.
How long did it take them to get back to running around
? The orcs talk about the flying beasts on the trip to isengard after the fellowship splits. So at least by then, I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

How long did it take them to get back to running around
? The orcs talk about the flying beasts on the trip to isengard after the fellowship splits. So at least by then, I guess.

Before that Legolas shoots one of their beasts over the eastern bank of Anduin at Sarn Gebir (23 February). Frodo crosses Bruinen on 20 October so it's four months at most. When they're still at Rivendell (Nov/Dec) Elrond sends out scouts including his sons to check for any sign of the Nazgul; they find their horses drowned downstream of the ford and Gandalf concludes that they have fled back to Mordor and that, if they leave now, the Riders will need to track back to Rivendell before they can pick up any trail to follow the Fellowship.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sat on my keys! posted:

Even if it doesn't turn up again, the free peoples are still losing the war badly, since its works survive (like the foundations of Barad-dur) and Sauron still has access to most of his native power (which would be increased again if he got it back). They would've been totally defeated if not for the ring's destruction.

Taking an extreme long view, it sort of doesn't matter, though. Wait long enough and the Dagor Dagorath happens and Melkor is defeated. The Men aren't even involved in the Last Battle so ehhh if they all die.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

webmeister posted:

Elrond just doesn't want to have to call another Council in a thousand years with the same faces asking the same questions.

"Where should we hide it this time?"
"Well, Anduin didn't work, and the sea didn't work. Maybe a really deep shaft in Moria?"

Imagine, if you will, a Balrog just sleepin it off in the deep places, waking up in a foul mood because some Durin or other dropped a rock on his head, and then here comes the Ring looking for a new owner at the bottom of the deepest hole in the mountain. We're talking a whole new Sauron here.

Kinda makes you glad Gandalf won his fight. Dude had a ring of power on him when he fell-- a ring of fire, no less. Might have given him a slight edge in the fight, since I suspect a Balrog is a higher order of Maiar than an Istari, but that's still a hell of an artifact to risk giving to a demon of ancient Beleriand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't the power levels of balrogs and Gandalf is ever explicated. Gandalf is more than an Istari since he has a ring.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

I don't the power levels of balrogs and Gandalf is ever explicated. Gandalf is more than an Istari since he has a ring.

There's a section in Book of Lost Tales that explicates the relative power levels and history of the Istari a bit, but yeah, there's no direct comparison, and even it is ambiguous (I think Manwe implies saruman is more powerful and his wife implies olorin, ie., Gandalf, is). Balrogs as I understand it are just Maiar who joined Team Badguy and also invest power into a particular physical form, so some balrogs were more powerful and some less, like other Maiar. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs was defeated by Ecthelion of the Fountain, a Noldor, but Feanor himself was defeated by a group of Balrogs. And of course Gandalf's power was mostly veiled in human form, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right and Gandalf having a Ring throws it all off.

Since he beat Durins Bane I guess his power levels were higher that day.

Gandalf the White vs the Witch King is an interesting question too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rereading it's interesting Galadriel sends out a search party for Gandalf. The party tells her he fell into an endless pit but she still looks for him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Not just any ring: the Ring of Fire specifically. Which is why Gandalf knows the Dark Fire will not avail the Balrog: Gandalf has geared up for the encounter.

And yeah Death of the Mentor is an overused trope today but when I was a kid having read The Hobbit at a really young age and then moving on to LotR when only slightly older, that first time you read Gandalf going over the edge, holy poo poo, it was like getting hit by a truck

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 5, 2017

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Radio! posted:

Taking an extreme long view, it sort of doesn't matter, though. Wait long enough and the Dagor Dagorath happens and Melkor is defeated. The Men aren't even involved in the Last Battle so ehhh if they all die.

Turin Turambar :colbert:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ashcans posted:

I suppose that Gandalf could have tried to get him to bury it in the back yard or something instead of holding on to it.

Or just drop it in a loving hole. Worked for one of the Silmarils.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

HerraS posted:

Turin Turambar :colbert:

Iluvatar takes one look at Turin and goes "YIKES you guys can keep this one".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Or just drop it in a loving hole. Worked for one of the Silmarils.

Tbh I never understood this bit: okay it's probably hard to get things out of fiery chasms in the earth even if you're a god, but why couldn't Ulmo just fish out the one that got thrown into the sea? The gods weren't obviously resigned to losing the Silmarils before they got thrown down there, they were actively trying to bring them back to Valinor when Maedhros and Maglor stole them, so why did they just let them sit down at the bottom of the world after the fact? Were they just too dispirited to even bother?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

Tbh I never understood this bit: okay it's probably hard to get things out of fiery chasms in the earth even if you're a god, but why couldn't Ulmo just fish out the one that got thrown into the sea? The gods weren't obviously resigned to losing the Silmarils before they got thrown down there, they were actively trying to bring them back to Valinor when Maedhros and Maglor stole them, so why did they just let them sit down at the bottom of the world after the fact? Were they just too dispirited to even bother?

Arkenstone is that Silmaril but everyone is pretending it isn't because the political implications would cause too much strife

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arkenstone is that Silmaril but everyone is pretending it isn't because the political implications would cause too much strife

Considering the Silmarils are like the platonic ideal of a MacGuffin and their only real power beyond glowing is 'everyone wants them' I don't think it would be possible to pretend a Silmaril was anything but. Like I always got the impression that they were at least as 'magnetic' as the Ring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

When The Hobbit was first written and not yet coherently linked to the myths of Beleriand & the Noldor, the Arkenstone was basically a repurposed Silmaril, in the same way as the elvenking of Mirkwood was basically a repurposed Thingol (or the Necromancer a repurposed Thu, or Elrond a repurposed Elrond). When rendering myths from this era into Old English Tolkien even rendered "silmaril" as "eorcanstan" so it's pretty obvious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Considering the Silmarils are like the platonic ideal of a MacGuffin and their only real power beyond glowing is 'everyone wants them' I don't think it would be possible to pretend a Silmaril was anything but. Like I always got the impression that they were at least as 'magnetic' as the Ring.

Maybe the fires of the earth damaged it. I mean, it did draw down a dragon.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

skasion posted:

When rendering myths from this era into Old English Tolkien even rendered "silmaril" as "eorcanstan" so it's pretty obvious.

Okay this is actually super cool. Where did you learn that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Radio! posted:

Okay this is actually super cool. Where did you learn that?

It's somewhere in the early books of History of Middle Earth, Lays of Beleriand maybe?

e: real talk though, the Arkenstone isn't consistent with the Silmarils as Tolkien eventually conceived of them. Probably the most obvious magical power of the Silmarils, that they were enchanted by Varda to burn those who try to possess them undeservingly, is totally incompatible with Bilbo blithely stealing one.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also the Tolkien Professor guy went over it in one of the early Return of the Shadow episodes :v:

E: he also said Rivendell means "valley with a river in it" so :mad:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm still disappointed I can't find The History of Middle Earth series as an ebook. :saddowns:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

It's somewhere in the early books of History of Middle Earth, Lays of Beleriand maybe?

e: real talk though, the Arkenstone isn't consistent with the Silmarils as Tolkien eventually conceived of them. Probably the most obvious magical power of the Silmarils, that they were enchanted by Varda to burn those who try to possess them undeservingly, is totally incompatible with Bilbo blithely stealing one.

He didn't steal it! He chose his own fourteenth share! Also, Bilbo didn't steal it to possess it, but to transfer it to another. He's basically Beren in this scenario.

I also like the theory that the Arkenstone was one of Feanor's practice-pieces.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Feanor would cast his practice-pieces into the depths of the earth, the overly-dramatic rear end in a top hat.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I thought the Silmaril thing was that there's one in the earth, sea and sky in the end.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

hannibal posted:

I thought the Silmaril thing was that there's one in the earth, sea and sky in the end.

Such was my take.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

hannibal posted:

Sure if you want the "official" reading

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's what the text says. The two never get mentioned again after they are lost, and the third got turned into a star or whatever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's what the text says. The two never get mentioned again after they are lost, and the third got turned into a star or whatever.

Elvish fairy tales.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The real Silmaril is late-stage colonial ideology.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Everything the elves and wizards say is FAKE NEWS and Denethor was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Elvish fairy tales.

Which part, the silmarils or what happened to them?