Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Let them have fun feeling powerful and elite and you get to feel good killing like 40pt models that have one wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I hope you enjoy your new sicaran arcus

edit - the word arcus looks like the word anus

It's called that because it'll go sickhouse on your anus next time we play

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

The GK ones are even the same names as the SM ones.

I mean, Grey Knights are just a fancy Space Marine chapter, so it makes sense to me. They're probably going to have some special Grey Knight stratagems too to replace the shared ones, but as far as I can tell it's just a shared element like Stormtalon access is.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Pretty much confirms that they don't get any Primaris dudes, though.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why are Primaris two wounds and plague marines one

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goose willis posted:

Because plague marines are T5 and have 5+ FNP?

Edit: And because plague Terminators will have 2 wounds.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

goose willis posted:

Cawl didn't stuff them to the gills with performance enhancing drugs, and Fabius Bile hasn't back-engineered the secret formula yet.

Also if basic troop choices were T2, S5, FNP 5+, Plague Marines would be horrible to remove from the board.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Game balance

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Primaris are also physically bigger. It really isn't difficult at all to justify them having more wounds.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

It's called that because it'll go sickhouse on your anus next time we play

scoreboard

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Has anyone seen a repulsor in person yet? How does it compare size-wise to a Land Raider? I'm only gonna buy one if it will fit in my land raider foam.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is the Black Legion trait not very good? It converts rapid fire weapons into assault weapons so Rapid Fire 1 becomes Assault 1. No double-tapping at half range. Maybe it's good for an advancing infantry horde, but that's not my style so maybe I'm missing something.

I am so down for the Night Lords rules though. :getin:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is there supposed to be a difference between the Intercessors with scoped and un-scoped bolt rifles from the Dark Imperium set?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Is it just me or is the Black Legion trait not very good? It converts rapid fire weapons into assault weapons so Rapid Fire 1 becomes Assault 1. No double-tapping at half range. Maybe it's good for an advancing infantry horde, but that's not my style so maybe I'm missing something.

+1LD is the better half of the buff. I matters more for them as they can't reroll break tests.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Safety Factor posted:

It only converts when you advance. So you can double tap if you want, or run and still shoot.

\/\/ Like three of my friends didn't read it that way and thought it replaced all your rapid fires.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 4, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

+1LD is the better half of the buff. I matters more for them as they can't reroll break tests.
Yeah, and if they stay unmarked they can take Icons of Vengeance for another +1 LD which can get pretty ridiculous if they want to go that way.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It only converts when you advance. So you can double tap if you want, or run and still shoot.
C'mon, really? I know I didn't explicitly spell that out in my post and I know this is the 40k thread, but I did actually read the trait before commenting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Abbadon an already good unit got a buff here, by giving extra command points.

As I own both Abbadon and a Black Leigon army this is nice for me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So they'll probably announce Death Guard this coming week, and it'll be released the following, right?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I guess my assumption that the generic SM stratagems were usable by all chapters panned out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

So they'll probably announce Death Guard this coming week, and it'll be released the following, right?

They need to release 2 a month to make the 10 by Christmas promise. I had thought that was 1 every two weeks, but maybe it'll be two on the same week each month. In which case it would be another week or two before they announce Death Guard and Whatever Is Next.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling that big releases like marines and deathguard that include new models will likely get release slot all to themselves, while the smaller releases like Grey Knights and Chaos will come in twos and threes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'd guess the reveal of the Death Guard will be Nova Open weekend. Seems like the good place to show off Morty and finishes what they started with Adepticon. We'll probably also see Necromunda there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

C'mon, really? I know I didn't explicitly spell that out in my post and I know this is the 40k thread, but I did actually read the trait before commenting.

Your original post made it unclear whether you got that part. But either way the alternative is "not shooting at all" so you aren't "losing" the ability to double-tap. I agree with Master SlowPoke that the +1Ld armywide is the bigger deal, but they work in tandem more than I think you realize. It basically gives standard chaos marines more versatility, and you combine that with +1 Ld and you now have a good incentive to take bolter CSMs in larger squads with plasma guns who can get around capturing objectives more quickly without a huge loss of combat effectiveness and without the need for a Rhino.

I like it a lot, but I admit it's not the strongest trait of the bunch (hello EC and WE).

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Teaching two friends this game. One guy is flipping the gently caress out about how unbalanced the game is because i can kill some of his termagaunts, and thinks cannon fodder should be beefier and have a ton of abilities. Says things are unfair, all while stomping me in every game so far. He has so far complained you have to pay for wargear options and doesnt understand why you don't have to buy crew members for transports as "paying for extra models is what this game is all about, apparently". He is constantly frowning at "the amount of bullshit rolls" as "DnD's armor system makes WAY more sense than this bullshit".

Other guy has played DoW in the past, really likes how the Eldar work, and wants to give murder clowns a try because he thinks the game is fun.

Guess who I enjoy playing against more!

Fake James fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 4, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Some people are determined not to have fun.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geoff Zahn posted:

Teaching two friends this game. One guy is flipping the gently caress out about how unbalanced the game is because i can kill some of his termagaunts, and thinks cannon fodder should be beefier and have a ton of abilities. Says things are unfair, all while stomping me in every game so far. He has so far complained you have to pay for wargear options and doesnt understand why you don't have to buy crew members for transports as "paying for extra models is what this game is all about, apparently". He is constantly frowning at "the amount of bullshit rolls" as "DnD's armor system makes WAY more sense than this bullshit".

Other guy has played DoW in the past, really likes how the Eldar work, and wants to give murder clowns a try because he thinks the game is fun.

Guess who I enjoy playing against more!

Sounds like when I taught a friend of mine how to play Squad Leader back in the day. Dude is chewing through my Germans with MG fire, forcing break tests (which I'm failing) all the while complaining that "There aren't any rules for reinforcements or supply or (insert WWII minutia about Russians and ammo). Rad, dude.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

\/\/ Like three of my friends didn't read it that way and thought it replaced all your rapid fires.
:psyduck: It's spelled out right there though.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Your original post made it unclear whether you got that part. But either way the alternative is "not shooting at all" so you aren't "losing" the ability to double-tap. I agree with Master SlowPoke that the +1Ld armywide is the bigger deal, but they work in tandem more than I think you realize. It basically gives standard chaos marines more versatility, and you combine that with +1 Ld and you now have a good incentive to take bolter CSMs in larger squads with plasma guns who can get around capturing objectives more quickly without a huge loss of combat effectiveness and without the need for a Rhino.

I like it a lot, but I admit it's not the strongest trait of the bunch (hello EC and WE).
Yeah, like I said, I see the utility for an infantry horde, but that's just not my style. I've always preferred mechanized lists and while this trait doesn't preclude a mechanized Black Legion force, it definitely doesn't incentivize it in any way. I really like that the legions shown so far seem to be promoting different play styles. It's done in relatively simple ways, but Night Lords, for example, benefit from running more units and are encouraged to take raptors as their legion trait stacks with the raptors' ability. It's neat.

FW's been doing similar things with 30k for years and all of the legions, despite sharing 90%+ of their units, manage to play very differently. I like seeing that replicated in 40k to some extent.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 4, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:confuoot:

moths fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 4, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Photoshop, the picture quality is way better on the Bretonnian Bigly and the font is different.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I SEE YOU THERE TZEENTCH

DON'T HIDE FROM ME

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Typhus is apparently on the list of stuff thats sold out and not coming back, guess he must be getting a new kit with the death guard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

:psyduck: It's spelled out right there though.

Yeah, like I said, I see the utility for an infantry horde, but that's just not my style. I've always preferred mechanized lists and while this trait doesn't preclude a mechanized Black Legion force, it definitely doesn't incentivize it in any way. I really like that the legions shown so far seem to be promoting different play styles. It's done in relatively simple ways, but Night Lords, for example, benefit from running more units and are encouraged to take raptors as their legion trait stacks with the raptors' ability. It's neat.

FW's been doing similar things with 30k for years and all of the legions, despite sharing 90%+ of their units, manage to play very differently. I like seeing that replicated in 40k to some extent.

Yeah that's fair, though I think it can still encourage *some* mechanization. I'd still include berserkers in a Black Legion list, for example, and any close combat units I'd rather put in a transport. Alternatively, once you're out of your transport or looking to kite an oncoming assault unit, it gives you a lot more mobility.

I also love the Night Lords rules.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' because I'm totally going to use this guy as a counts-as Belial when I play 40k.

Safety Factor posted:

:frogsiren: Work in Progress comin' through! :frogsiren:

Ok, so here we go. This guy's obviously a work in progress, but I think I'm comfortable showing him off for now. Essentially, I took the dorky Praetor Tribune model and dangled him up to hell and back. The halberd blade, wing poles, and dong shield are all stolen from the plastic Deathwing kit. The chest angel is a little 40k decoration I cut the wings off of and shaved down, using greenstuff to fit it to the torso after removing the central eagle-ish thing. Now it's got its wings unfurled, shooting lightning everywhere. :black101: The head's an alternate from the metal Dark Angels company master. It's been lurking in my bits box for forever and it seemed fitting. I did try a helmet, but just couldn't get it to fit even by shaving it down so I moved on. The cape is a terminator chaos lord cape with a few modifications. I had to cut out the original mount and the smokestacks, then I used greenstuff to repair the fur and I tried to patch up all the holes in the cape. There are a lot of them and they still probably need a little bit of work. The cape is held on with some putty for now, it'll be kept separate for painting.

Again, this guy's not done yet. I've got another growly lion shoulder pad coming from ebay; they're actually Age of Sigmar bits and I had a left one leftover from some model I built for Silver Tower. I tracked down a right-hand version of the shoulder pad in the Stormcast Paladins box. The weapon is also unfinished. I'm aiming to use the censer end of the Deathwing halberd, but I'm also trying to extend the haft of the weapon a little so it doesn't look quite as doofy. Unfortunately, no plastic grips match this one so I'm going to have to figure something out myself.

Overall, I'm really happy with how this guy is coming along. The crotch protector is maybe a little too long; it actually starts at the torso on the original sculpt and only goes to around the knees. I can still alter it and move it up a few mm, but I'm pretty ok with it as-is. I'm also contemplating a grenade harness up top, between the two feather poles.

The original model, for reference:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
GW did a game of Black Legion vs. Grey Knights on Twitch today and revealed a bunch of new stuff. Here's the rundown (not my transcription work):

quote:

Strategems leaked:
1CP - Character does d3 mortal wounds with a bolter weapon
1CP - Give a unit a Mark of Chaos
1CP - Chaos Boon, 2 is Spawn, 12 is Daemon Prince, 7 choose a bonus, 4 is +3" to move characteristic, 9 +1 to all saves
1CP - Tzeentch can do another power
1CP - Choose a different psychic power
1CP - +1 to wound for a unit of infantry, bikers (not renegade units)
1CP - A Daemon Engine can re-roll to hit and wound for a phase
2CP - A unit of cultists on the board can re-deploy via deep strike within 6" of a board edge
1CP - Linebreaker Bombardment
1CP - Killshot (noice)
1CP - Flakk missile
~CP - A Helbrute can fire twice if it doesn’t move
1CP/3CP - extra Artifacts
1CP - Heretic vehicle ignores penelties for assault/heavy weapons
Alpha Legion get the RavenGuard strategem

Artifacts:
Axe of Blind Fury, Murder sword and Black Mace are back + a load more artifacts.

Psychic Powers:
DeathHex - WC 8, 12" an enemy unit can't take invul saves.
~ - roll d6, if higher than a models toughness they take d3 mortal wounds

Warlord Traits:
Alpha Legion WLT is, when your Warlord dies another character becomes your Warlord and gains a new Warlord trait. No StW when you kill the warlord the first time.

Renegades Legion trait is advance and charge.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

GW did a game of Black Legion vs. Grey Knights on Twitch today and revealed a bunch of new stuff. Here's the rundown (not my transcription work):

That Alpha Legion trait is loving hilarious, good work GW

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corrode posted:

I'm glad it's back from Traitor Legions, it's perfect.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Corrode posted:

Best thing 8th has had to offer so far.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

:perfect:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Winters has gotten a hold of the Grey Knights book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWrG8DofaFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's pretty hard to get excited about that GK book.