Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Allison grabs Mary when she flies the two of them out of the exploding dam. She has the serial killer in her custody only to let her go minutes later. This after Mary states that she has no problem murdering innocent people if that's what it takes to win the rape war. At no point does Allison attempt to convince Mary that what she is doing is wrong, just that there are better options than killing. It's a half-assed attempt to convince a murderer to stop murdering and it's undermined in the concluding scenes where the rest of the supporting characters all say they either support Mary or are ambivalent.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

wb avs. Try not to be too blatantly avs, it would be cool to keep you around for a while.
till krump

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I don't remember if I or anyone else commented on it at the time, but I thought it was pretty hosed up how Mary kidnapped Furnace, took him to a dam, and strapped a bomb to him, yet the plot was contrived such that he was the one singularly responsible for the destruction of the dam and his own death.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 2, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
lol, followed by "HOW MANY INNOCENTS WERE IN THE PATH OF THAT TSUNAMI" "ABSOLUTELY ZERO, SIR"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If the guy from Saw movies only tortured rapists, he'd be the good guy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

So far the most consistent thesis seems to be 'having a consistent worldview is hard and most people get by trying to do what they consider right in a situation without considering broader implications'

Thing is, taking a step back seems to show 'this is probably not a good thing.'

I'm pretty done with webcomics, but I hope the author finds a story they actually want to tell coherently. More and more, it feels like serialization is a severe weakness in fiction, rather than a strength, because it tears down having a consistent theme.

I mentioned this elsewhere before but I think it's a mix of a few problems, the first being that they've made a comic that's a deconstruction of superhero comics. The thing that the past 30+ years of American comics have been influenced by in some way and that's been done and redone dozens of times. They're trying to do a fresh take, but they don't have the art or writing chops to make extended ethical dilemmas in a comic medium anything but terminable. The comic has to stop and quibble over every problem and consider each viewpoint as if they're all equally valid, like they're going for a spineless "what if the truth [on murdering rapists] is... in the middle?" point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were barely plotting out each chapter before they had to make it. It'd certainly explain the swingy pacing and bizarre digressions for pages.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Remember the important lesson on ethics SFP has learned from a fake professor?
The lesson was that this stuff is pretty complicated.
Maybe the truth is not in the middle.
Maybe there is no truth.
Maybe just kill people you don't like, and don't think about moral implications.

E: Also remember how SFP has killed the flamethrower guy? And then endlessly worried about beating up a libertarian?

Lol, all those things have happened in the comic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Still blows my mind that neither the artist or the writer realized they were crafting a sexual assault scene

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
People gave money to their Kickstarter. Twice.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Still blows my mind that neither the artist or the writer realized they were crafting a sexual assault scene

Well Allison is a woman and only men can commit sexual assault, duh.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Calaveron posted:

More than once too (Patrick's drugging and kidnapping the scientists).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Maybe there is no truth.
Maybe just kill people you don't like, and don't think about moral implications.

Live like a batman villain. Only do things when it's funny. Flip a coin to decide who lives and who dies. Use your tragic past to justify your actions. Figure out a theme and develop a ton of gimmicks based on it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

More than once too (Patrick's drugging and kidnapping the scientists).

Yeah but the writer hadn't really decided when that scene started to have Patrick become just another purely bad antagonist yet so it was ok.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It takes a special type of blindness to accomplish that feat.

Paladinus posted:

Maybe there is no truth.

E: Also remember how SFP has killed the flamethrower guy? And then endlessly worried about beating up a libertarian?

Lol, all those things have happened in the comic.
Also life isn't fair and the system is stacked against some people with no clear fix. That is what this series has tried to hammer across, but it always stumbles because it gets too distracted with other stuff. Feral, her room mate, Patrick's crusade against an unseen conspiracy; all of those storylines were great because they presented Allison with exactly what she struggles with. A problem that can't be punched. Even her fight with Cleaver embodied this because her previous actions resulted in a loss of life, and because of her celebrity she got her teacher fired instead of just reprimanded. There really was an honest attempt to tell not a new story in the world of super hero deconstructions, but an interesting one. But all that was too interesting for this comic so we got life and love with Clevin instead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brought To You By posted:

Feral, her room mate, Patrick's crusade against an unseen conspiracy; all of those storylines were great because they presented Allison with exactly what she struggles with. A problem that can't be punched.

She intimidated a magical libertarian into making Feral better, threw a cup so hard at psychic man he might be broken or otherwise dead, and scared her room mate so that she left her life forever. All of those problems were solved with, maybe not literal, punching.

I think the greater problem is that the author and artist are playing directly to their audience rather than trying to tell an engaging or interesting story. The same audience that didn't give a poo poo that fireman might be innocent or not, the same audience that doesn't seem to care that the invisible woman tried to kill Clevin and Allison, the same audience that cheered in the comments section for what she did to Max and still continually justify it as "He was asking for it". They've got an audience completely willing to accept the premise that anything the main character does or agrees with is automatically the morally good choice, and anything else is Bad and they're far more at ease pandering to that audience than risking alienating them because this same audience funds all their stuff and will happily praise a months long conversation with no backgrounds.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The lesson of Strong Female Protagonist is that you don't solve your struggles with violence, you solve them with coercion using the implicit threat of violence (and sometimes still violence).

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the lesson of strong female protagonist is that if you go far enough up your own rear end eventually you emerge out of your own mouth and are reborn as an infinitely wise recursive rear end-to-mouth spirit, also 102% of men have eaten a woman

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Zerilan posted:

The lesson of Strong Female Protagonist is that you don't solve your struggles with violence, you solve them with coercion using the implicit threat of violence (and sometimes still violence).

i'm going to need a longer throw pillow

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

the lesson of strong female protagonist is that if you go far enough up your own rear end eventually you emerge out of your own mouth and are reborn as an infinitely wise recursive rear end-to-mouth spirit, also 102% of men have eaten a woman

Of course, the rest of the world outside the rear end can only see that the head is firmly rammed up there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Clevin was a wereclevin all along!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Content warning for the following scene: there is some discussion and depiction of Clevin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When did people finally switch from trigger warning to content warning?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Patrick turning into a crustie is the most shocking twist so far

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

Of course, the rest of the world outside the rear end can only see that the head is firmly rammed up there.
i am reduced to a shrunken ribcage connecting my asscheeks to the base of my skull, the rest of my face having disappeared into the yawning void, the whole thing balanced almost elegantly on two legs and two arms bent backward so that i prance on my toes and fingertips as i approach you with lustful intent. satisfy me! satisfy my hunger!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Not showing Clevin leaving the apartment plus the inconsistent lettering format for Allison's texting from one panel to the next made this page super confusing for me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He is not Clevin.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Patrick turning into a crustie is the most shocking twist so far

Is that supposed to be Patrick?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Unlikely, I think he's a new character, maybe?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Whoever it is let's just hope the comic moves past it quickly so we can see how Big Clev is doing at the pharmacy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crimpolioni posted:

Whoever it is let's just hope the comic moves past it quickly so we can see how Big Clev is doing at the pharmacy.

He's going to buy a single condom.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I wish they'd give a content warning about Clevin.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You couldn't if you wanted to. Clevin contains no content.

That's the beautiful thing about Clevin.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Best Case Scenario: Crusty Neighbor Man is here to congratulate her on getting Valkyrie started, and explains that he overheard her earlier conversation with Clevin, and expresses concern Clevin was being really passive-aggressive and manipulative there.

Worst Case Scenario: Crusty Man assaults Allison, who inexplicably forgets that she has superpowers. Clevin comes back (for his phone, obviously), and heroically rescues her.

Either way, I already like this guy more than Clevin. He looks like the frontman for a garage band.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What if crusty man is Clevin, who has just been using mind control powers to make Allis on see him as her perfect man

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Typical Pubbie posted:

Not showing Clevin leaving the apartment plus the inconsistent lettering format for Allison's texting from one panel to the next made this page super confusing for me.

yeah I know the text bubbles are how phones are laid out- outgoing on right, incoming on left, but having them be literally backwards to comic convention is pretty bad panel layout. Like the doctor's message has an arrow pointing directly at Allison.

Like just flip it so she's on the right of the panel and it works so much better. Not like there's a background to worry about

e; also how the flow from panel one to two could make it seem like she's going through Clevin's phone at first glance

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 4, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fuego Fish posted:

Is that supposed to be Patrick?

It's actually her time-displaced fake professor in his past form before he got all those metal scars

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nuebot posted:

She intimidated a magical libertarian into making Feral better, threw a cup so hard at psychic man he might be broken or otherwise dead, and scared her room mate so that she left her life forever. All of those problems were solved with, maybe not literal, punching.
That's the difference between the first stories and the latter. The first ones gave her problems that can't be punched to solve and arguably kept Allison in check by making it clear that having part of Superman's suite of abilities doesn't allow her to go all Justice lord to solve things. Then we get to the Rape arc and then we had an interesting situation. Mary was trying to "punch" a problem away but she isn't really fixing anything. She's not preventing rape from happening; but she's trying to solve the problem of the justice system failing by killing judges and criminals alike. It's a futile gesture but she did what Allison was faltering in doing, trying to make some solution appear.

Now we're in the part where Allison is just punching all her problems away and it's working for her where previously the story told us it couldn't. People should have died when Mary blew up that Dam. Allison's organiation should have been shut down as a result of that Congresswoman exerting her influence. And maybe even a police charge and arrest.

quote:

I think the greater problem is that the author and artist are playing directly to their audience rather than trying to tell an engaging or interesting story. The same audience that didn't give a poo poo that fireman might be innocent or not, the same audience that doesn't seem to care that the invisible woman tried to kill Clevin and Allison, the same audience that cheered in the comments section for what she did to Max and still continually justify it as "He was asking for it". They've got an audience completely willing to accept the premise that anything the main character does or agrees with is automatically the morally good choice, and anything else is Bad and they're far more at ease pandering to that audience than risking alienating them because this same audience funds all their stuff and will happily praise a months long conversation with no backgrounds.
I'd say they have the hipster audience pretty well catered too. The same people who just in the comic were crowding in an empty room cheering for a group starting that hasn't produced any meaningful results.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

You know your art is good when people literally can not tell characters apart anymore and "Why didn't I think to check an outside source of information" seems like a reasonable alternative to relying on the information your comic provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's... Patrick? :confused:

• Locked thread