Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone theorized in YouTube comments that the reason for the EXTREME ZOOMS and edits in this episode was to hide a Netflix bug in the corner of the screen that they can't show legally because that deal fell through months ago

That's pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't think this was a real funny episode. Maybe you would like it if you're a David Letterman fan and want to hear some about the history of his show. I was never a big fan but I did see it occasionally when it was on. Norm idolizes him. I must be too young because I didn't pay any attention to late night shows until the 2000s

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
norm absolutely idolizes him and it kind of reminded me of the roseanne episode where norm was just very deferential

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i really enjoyed it, definitely a different style to like the gilbert or nick swardson eps. i like anything norm does tho

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
really hate when he has some "comedy legend" on because it makes norm get really polite and want to talk about career stuff the whole time

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I didn't think this was a real funny episode. Maybe you would like it if you're a David Letterman fan and want to hear some about the history of his show. I was never a big fan but I did see it occasionally when it was on. Norm idolizes him. I must be too young because I didn't pay any attention to late night shows until the 2000s

letterman is pretty funny, it's just that late night host is the least funny medium on the planet

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
letterman in his prime is superior to any comedian shy of norm or pryor imo. hes just old and isnt particularly interested in anything at all anymore, least of all being funny

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
its definitely more of a letterman interview than a norm show

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Someone theorized in YouTube comments that the reason for the EXTREME ZOOMS and edits in this episode was to hide a Netflix bug in the corner of the screen that they can't show legally because that deal fell through months ago

That's pretty funny

Person who works at JASH said on reddit that it was Norm's decision & that it's like that on one other episode.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

Person who works at JASH said on reddit that it was Norm's decision & that it's like that on one other episode.

So it's to hide the buckets of chicken and bottles of sleeping pills strewn around the studio

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Holy poo poo, David did a Top Ten List, just for Norm. Literally.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RJWaters2 posted:

Holy poo poo, David did a Top Ten List, just for Norm. Literally.

The video I watched cut off before he read it?

I'm guessing there was a lot of stuff cut for topical reasons - probably a bunch of pre-Trump political jokes from a year ago that don't hold up

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

The video I watched cut off before he read it?

I'm guessing there was a lot of stuff cut for topical reasons - probably a bunch of pre-Trump political jokes from a year ago that don't hold up

It was a bit

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

According to an interview, Norm decided to cut it off after, out of respect, because Letterman obviously didn't want to do it.

Don't skip the ads this season. Norm's on top of his game with weird sentence pacing

"get a razor with a free tube!

of shaving butter"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh that's interesting. So he sorta turned editing it out into a bit

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Dave did some pretty great razzing of Adam Eget.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah here's the interview where Norm talks about cutting it out
http://uproxx.com/tv/norm-macdonald-interview-late-night-politics/
Good interview in general, sometimes I find myself having a sort of kneejerk annoyance with Norm's political comments but then I realize that
A. He's coming at it from a Canadian perspective and like, B. "Norm Macdonald should be more WOKE" has to be in the top 10 stupidest thoughts ever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love Adam Egret and his faked astonishment at the amazing products advertised by a dead gay podcast.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
New Norm interview where he says that Jim Carrey & Tom Hanks will be on the show(also that he is perpetually trying to get Robert Blake & OJ Simpson)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/norm-macdonald-sounds-off-on-snl-i-think-theyre-playing-into-trumps-hands
Also, this made me laugh, the intro to the Uproxx interview

quote:

This is all over the phone while he (Norm) was caddying as penance for an awful golf game.

How are you?

I’m alright. I’m alright. I was golfing, but now I’m caddying for this guy.

How’d you do?

So bad. Now I’m caddying! This is what I do: I watch the British Open and then I think I can golf. I watch NBA and then I think I can play basketball. But it doesn’t work that way. If you don’t put the work in, you know?

The intro to the daily beast interview

quote:

Norm Macdonald is stuck on a golf course. “We have all these children in front of us, so we’re not going anywhere,” the 57-year-old comedian tells me by phone as he waits to move on to the next hole. “I watched the British Open and it made me think I could play golf,” he adds. “Turns out I can’t.”
Just as our interview is ending, Macdonald shouts into the phone, “Oh, Jesus Christ! What are you doing?” After a short pause, he adds, “Oh my God, I just ran into a tree.” Asked if he’s OK, he replies, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jim Carrey is an anti-vax whackjob now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Jim Carrey is an anti-vax whackjob now

He admitted in his Stern interview a few years back that he just smokes pot in his mansion all day and paints

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Short clip from the Seinfeld episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HoSGPQ80Vc

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So the modern equivalent of that joke would be 2 black people saying to each other "2 white businessmen walk into a bar - one asks how business is going, the other says 'great!'"

It's just a play on being disadvantaged, right?

I did the "call out someone for laughing when you know they didn't get the joke" thing before IRL and it had the same result as when Norm did it

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

No it's that a Jewish businessman would complain

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

So the modern equivalent of that joke would be 2 black people saying to each other "2 white businessmen walk into a bar - one asks how business is going, the other says 'great!'"

I did the "call out someone for laughing when you know they didn't get the joke" thing before IRL and it had the same result as when Norm did it

lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

EugeneJ posted:

ok Adam

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RJWaters2 posted:

No it's that a Jewish businessman would complain

Gotcha

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Do ya?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If you have Prime the Tyson episode is up now on there

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Couldn't stop laughing when Tyson was trying to bully Norm into saying the N word

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hell yea thanks for the heads up

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This is incredible

"This guy took the aids test, he crammed the night before!"

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I could beat Mike Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam_t-gj7HM

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
lol I think the Mike Tyson episode is pretty funny

say friend of the family, honky. loving say it. cmon cracker

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMfn9ETOy_Y

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Norm went off on twitter last night & someone on reddit compiled em before deletion (so, all credit 2 reddit)

quote:

Today was very tough. I am writing a novel and finally finished the first draft at 800 pages.After full day of agonizing, I am scrapping it. There is a peculiar pain that comes with waste: waste of time. Anything else you can get back but this time, this time. Gone. I began close to eight months ago and worked at least two hours each and every day. This was my promise to myself. The typical day would usually be 7 or 8 hours. It came easily, like it was coming not from me but from outside of me. I suppose that magic feeling should have been a clue. It can never be easy. Unless there is a flaw alive and metastasizing. it was false. When you read words so empty of anything but tricks, you are humiliated. But it's ok. It was never published. But the time. The time. When I would take a break from the book, my mind defaulted to stand-up.

Stand-up is a very modern art form, barely out of its infancy. Comedians working today are very lucky it is nascent. I think the perfect length for a set of comedy is 20 minutes. I don't know why and don't care. It is. But an hour is what someone decided once. And so I have become programmed to think in one-hour increments. I try to find a theme and make sure everything I say fits the theme. The theme has to be invisible to the listener. But the theme is the abdomen, the core, the center of the power that the 60 minutes should contain. I have heard some comics begin each new hour from scratch, after selling the hour they have to television. I would not have the courage to go on stage for an hour with all-new jokes. So I have four one-hour sets before I consider releasing one.

What destroys any art, or any life I suppose, is ego. Step one is to remove the audience from the equation. That can be difficult. But the almost impossible is to remove one's self from the equation. I am lucky to be friends with comedians who work at the very highest level of comedy. It is my joy to discuss things with them. I very much enjoy comedy experiments and urge all comedians to understand this art form is brand-new and to try things. But only funny things. And these experiments should begin at very low-stakes. The time should not exceed ten minutes and seems to work best at ten minutes. To experiment with a full hour requires a great deal of time and effort. But it is possible. A book is an entirely different thing.

A great book requires of its author much education. I possess none. It makes me sad. Not as sad as the gone time. Gone time.

The most common question I see here on Twitter is if I have any advice on being a comedian. I have never given any but I will. It is said that you must write what you have experienced, that great comedy comes from truth, or from tragedy. All of this is nonsense. I am crushed by the time, gone and irrevocable, that these 300 pages have cost me. But here are a couple of stand-up tips. I am not sure if this can be done by the novice, but if I could go back and do stand-up differently, I would. The big problem, oddly enough, when a comedian performs, are the laughs. Stand-up comedy, as it is customarily produced, is a craft and not an art. Here is the reason. The stand-up comedian must create a noise among his audience. The same noise at the same time by as many people possible. There is no room for interpretation. All In attendance must agree with the stand-up's notion of where the laugh comes. Anything short: failure. But an art can be part of stand-up. In can be the central part. But it must be carefully hidden beneath perfected craft. Here is the biggest problem with stand-up as art. The laughs. Laughs are something all people like to get. Laughs that you create make you feel good, make you happy. Laughs cannot be seen as that. There is a point when some comedians understand that getting laughs is something they must not become addicted to. Because the stand-up comedian does not earn laughs. He must divorce himself from this pernicious idea. At its highest form, which is all that interests me, Stand-up must exist beyond both audience and performer. During a show, there are three participants. The Stand-up Comedian, the audience, and the comedy itself. Stand-up begins with hard hard work. It should be worked and re-worked until structurally unbreakable. If you try to avoid any and all tricks, you are on the right path. So you have a bit that has been sharpened to the best of your ability. This is the end of the process. No. It is the beginning. You have done all that you can do and now you show the audience and it does what it strikes them to do And that is the beginning. There is a third player. But it takes time to understand it is the only real player. It is the comedy. I am not speaking metaphorically if I assert that the comedy is a live thing, that neither you nor the audience is responsible for. Knowing this,you can quickly intuit that there is a different way to create comedy and the first step is to understand it cannot be created. I know this must sound like a riddle of no practical use, but I urge you, if you are interested in stand-up, to consider it. Comedy has a voice, of course, which is laughter. And there is nothing cynical in looking at what make people laugh and replicating it. It is good to make people laugh, even if the goal may not be that, may be something more cynical. May be money. More likely is the way it makes you feel to make people laugh. Until you understand you cannot make people laugh, you cannot move on. In the comedy club, there are 3 things. the comedian, the audience, and the laughter. Only one matters. And the laughter was not created by the comedian or by the audience. It cannot be created. It has always been and always shall. As my book became worse and worse with each page, my stand-up has not. I don't know what I will release next. I'm a coward so I have hours. But the new stuff is a radical departure from any stand-up I've ever done. It is not written. It is not created. It already exists. I have found a process that allows me access to this endless library. But it metes itself out very slowly. I have about four minutes. The way to find it is to make sure you are not involved. That you are just an observer. It is so impossible to describe. I think the key to writing a book exists within this same exterior place. With creating stand-up (and perhaps anything) they key is to understand it cannot be created. It was, I, and always will be. There is nothing metaphysical in what I am doing an awful job in explaining. You se, it has all come to me just tonight, after scrapping the hundreds of book pages, and looked for solace at a few minutes of stand-up. And I looked up (a habit)with wonder at what I always thought I created but had created me just to get out and about itself. It was a day of crushing disappointment, a day I understood I had been fooling myself for a long period of time. Gone time. Gone time. I will rest now. Rest for a week and then buy new pencils to replace the pile of broken ones surrounding me. I'm on to something. I'll share it with you guys. Peace. Love. And apples too.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

it thou wilt

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

it thou wilt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Norm went off on twitter last night & someone on reddit compiled em before deletion (so, all credit 2 reddit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

At this moment, I am enlightened by my own intelligence

• Locked thread