Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So the excuse is that he remembers too much to have emotions?

That's loving dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

that's how moms feel about their autistic sons. poor moms :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WampaLord posted:

So the excuse is that he remembers too much to have emotions?

That's loving dumb as poo poo.

Dave Hill read Watchmen over the hiatus and got inspired.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What on Earth was the point of Qyburn hyping up the ballista when it ended up being totally worthless?

I figured there are more there that came from.

Alternatively, now Drogon can't fly (or has to land periodically) and the Night King can get at him

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A bastard? Where I come from we're woke af, I don't even know what that is.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

disjoe posted:

I figured there are more there that came from.

Alternatively, now Drogon can't fly (or has to land periodically) and the Night King can get at him

Episode 6 they kill a dragon and make him a zombie dragon.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It's Dorne all over again

"See where I'm from everything is soooo awesome, you can do whatever man, this is such a backwards society" :smug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
When did Davos become the horniest man in Westros?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What on Earth was the point of Qyburn hyping up the ballista when it ended up being totally worthless?
Flash forward to the next episode. Either Bronn, Jamie, maybe Dickon or whatever managed to escape death/capture and are reporting the loss to Cersei. Cersei fumes about the ballista being useless, the dragons being invincible - and whoever made it interjects "Not totally useless. It didn't kill the dragon, but it did force it to land." They throw in a line about how every animal should stick to its habitat for the benefit of Euron who's probably there as well, but meaning that dragons on the ground are vulnerable and that they should take advantage of that. At this point, Euron quips back about Jamie having a dragon on the ground, but it not being quite as vulnerable as he may have wanted. Yadayadayada, they established the ballista's power so now the writers can use it to gently caress up a dragon without it being a copout - all so they don't have to force themselves to write around the fact that Cersei would stand no chance if those dragons were as powerful as we've been led to believe.

HBO send me money

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It'd be pretty funny if Dickon dies in the war and the Tarlys have to turn to Sam as heir

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, this Arya/Brienne scene is better than anything we've had in ages.

"Who taught you how to do that?"

"No one."

:hellyeah:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it CGI when Arya flips to her feet?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WampaLord posted:

Okay, this Arya/Brienne scene is better than anything we've had in ages.

"Who taught you how to do that?"

"No one."

:hellyeah:

Almost as good as Davos correcting Jon re: less/fewer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yeah that was the best episode of the season so far. Maybe of the whole series post-season 1.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It'd be pretty funny if Dickon dies in the war and the Tarlys have to turn to Sam as heir

Dickon and Randall get toasted by Drogon next episode (5) because they don't bend the knee before Dany.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

qbert posted:

Davos is loving horny as gently caress. Asks Jon if he's checked out Dany's boobs, then 5 seconds later, "Speaking of boobs...Missandei hi!"

Well both Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke are really lovely wooden actors who have as much chemistry as white walkers. So to make their future romance much more believable they use much better actors such as Peter Dinklage and Liam Cunningham talking about how hot and cool Dany/Jon are. Which means when their sex scene happens people will say "Oh this is really weird but I like both Davos and Tyrion and they think both these people are cool so I guess I'm okay with this."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why is Sansa so put off by the training scene and Arya's list? Does she want Arya to be a proper lady still?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The last time she saw Arya she loving hated her and also she lied about that whole thing that made Arya chase off her dog. She's probably worried she's on the list. She should be. She got a dog killed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why is Sansa so put off by the training scene and Arya's list? Does she want Arya to be a proper lady still?

There's a wide spectrum between "proper lady" and "budding sociopath."

Having a murder list places you far closer to the sociopath side of the scale.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I actually didn't read much into Sansa's behavior in that scene, I felt she mostly stepped off screen so that Brienne could give Littlefinger the chilly stare.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jeb! Repetition posted:

She wasn't off put by Arya, she was off put by the smell of Littlefinger making GBS threads his pants over yet another absurdly OP fighter who isn't going to take his poo poo and wants to lop his head off.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Maybe she was worried about her little sister fighting one of the best warriors in the world, twice her size and clad in armour - even if it was just a training session. She could get hurt.

Or maybe she's shocked by how much her little sister's changed, realising that although she's back with her family, she hardly knows who they are anymore.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sydin posted:

She wasn't off put by Arya, she was off put by the smell of Littlefinger making GBS threads his pants over yet another absurdly OP fighter who isn't going to take his poo poo and wants to lop his head off.

Actually she was pretending to be put off by Arya so they can have Littlefinger executed in shocking fashion in the season finale.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jeb! Repetition posted:

well like if your sister came back and suddenly was credibly taking on someone three times her size with some crazy ninja fighting style you might get a little worried that maybe your sister is now a super-murderer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This Dothraki battle scene is also better than anything we've had in a long time. It's loving metal as hell. :black101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want Sandor, Brienne, and Arya to travel the country side as a happy elite warrior family fighting bandits for chickens. And Pod is there constantly losing to all of them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Maybe she was worried about her little sister fighting one of the best warriors in the world, twice her size and clad in armour - even if it was just a training session. She could get hurt.

Well maybe but she never really seemed relieved that Arya was winning.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just want Sandor, Brienne, and Arya to travel the country side as a happy elite warrior family fighting bandits for chickens. And Pod is there constantly losing to all of them.

Yes please.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The point I realised show LF was an idiot who had no idea what he was doing was when after placing Sansa with the Boltons he then went to Kings Landing to tell Cersei about it.

He's just playing both sides (or like, three sides at the same time). Which is what he has done literally the entire show. Because he's an evil rear end in a top hat.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

As soon the show passes where he is in the books, D&D transform him into a buffoon.

He's not really a buffoon, or that incompetent.

The whole 'giving Sansa to the Boltons' thing was pretty incompetent, and a strange thing, but more in the sense of 'it's hard to see how a guy who supposedly cares about Sansa would do that'. But it's not like he's a good person or anything. It's more of a botched execution of the idea that Littlefinger can both be obsessed with/desire Sansa and recklessly use her as a pawn in his political games. The scene where he reveals to Cersei that Sansa is with the Boltons is meant to illustrate that he doesn't really care about her (or his caring for him only goes so far), but it wasn't super successful at it, apparently.

He's not really in a bad position right now compared to most people. We perceive him to be in a bad position because we know he's a villain who must die, we know this is a seventh season of a show and it's ending soon, and we know all the bad things he did that will come to light somehow, but geopolitically, he's not more likely to die than Varys or Yara or Euron or Jamie or anyone.

He's probably going to get killed due to knowledge that Bran and Arya have, which, he could have hardly predicted that.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 4, 2017

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

There's also the fact that NinjaArya represents the fact that she hasn't had the easiest life and adapted in order to survive and thrive. Sansa probably feels bad that Arya has had to do this in the first place.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Seriously though when Arya jumps to her feet from her back it has to be CGI right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's no coincidence that Littlefinger became batshit stupid the moment that the source material ran out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jamie really is a loving idiot.

What did he think would happen?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Jamie really is a loving idiot.

What did he think would happen?

That's one of the two things I was thinking in that scene, the other was "how is the Valonqar going to strangle her now"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He's just playing both sides (or like, three sides at the same time). Which is what he has done literally the entire show. Because he's an evil rear end in a top hat.

He's not really a buffoon, or that incompetent.

The whole 'giving Sansa to the Boltons' thing was pretty incompetent, and a strange thing, but more in the sense of 'it's hard to see how a guy who supposedly cares about Sansa would do that'.

Plus I think it's pretty likely that he didn't have any idea what a cartoonishly evil loon Ramsay was. The Boltons had a fearsome reputation, but it's not Roose advertised the fact that his son was such an over-the-top sadist. I think LF mistakenly assumed that Roose could keep his bastard under at least a little bit of control.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^^^
Littlefinger is supposed to have a spy network rivaling Varys/Qyburn, and while Roose might have been tight lipped Ramsey wasn't exactly subtle. You could learn he's a sociopath who hunts women to feed to his dogs by talking to pretty much anybody in the Bolton army.

If Littlefinger had any sense he'd have realized that the Starks are a lost cause considering they all hate him, gathered up the Vale Knights who are presumably still loyal to him, and hosed off by now. Maybe I could buy that he really wants to stick his little finger in Sansa thus his judgement is clouded, but lol why did you send her off to get raped by Ramsey then?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny that I've read detailed episode leak-spoilers but now I'm somewhat annoyed that people have already seen the episode in lovely quality when I wanted to shitpost about it with everybody on monday.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

Plus I think it's pretty likely that he didn't have any idea what a cartoonishly evil loon Ramsay was. The Boltons had a fearsome reputation, but it's not Roose advertised the fact that his son was such an over-the-top sadist. I think LF mistakenly assumed that Roose could keep his bastard under at least a little bit of control.

They're literally a house known for flaying people. This is a non-secret about them, something they openly advertise. Littlefinger was a spymaster with access to insider, non-common information about the Boltons. I find it very hard to believe he didn't know about Ramsay.

It's just bad writing and bad characterization. If you want a character to be a know-it-all schemer, you can't have them be conveniently stupid about certain topics.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

disjoe posted:

There's also the fact that NinjaArya represents the fact that she hasn't had the easiest life and adapted in order to survive and thrive. Sansa probably feels bad that Arya has had to do this in the first place.

Well, she could have just gotten beaten and raped like Sansa - I'm sure that was fun. Oh and stripped naked in front of the whole court in King's Landing. And almost freeze near Winterfell.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gurm is that clever though, and if those are the notes he gave D&D then this is just like the rest of the writing they do to "check of boxes."

It's not clever. It's nonsensical.

There is a myth in which some things happen... and then there is a present that parallels that myth... by having completely different things occur, which have only the most superficial relationship to the myth.

Like... it's not an inversion of the myth, or a metaphorical reinterpretation of it... it is just two events that involve water and a lion (in completely different ways).

GRMM is not that bad a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Seriously though when Arya jumps to her feet from her back it has to be CGI right?

Goddamn I'm a softbodied goon but not so unfamiliar with the idea of physically doing stuff that I'd credit a fairly simple windmill kip up to CGI instead of a stunt double.

• Locked thread