Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

but who needs to save for retirement when all the computer touching bourgeois will be third in line for guillotines after the politicians and the billionaires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mishaq posted:

:drat:

nicest ive ever had was a dollar for dollar match up to 8%, but a crazy 5 year vesting schedule

then to save money they reduced it to 6% dollar for dollar match but immediately vested everyones match contributions which i thought was fair

ive only had lovely 50% match up to 6% with 3 year vesting schedules since at subsequent companies

oh i should have mentioned that ive never seen any kind of vesting schedule. across the board any matches ive seen (admittedly only at two companies) were instantaneous

like seriously what's the point. it's not that much money, i aint gonna stick around for that

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my company does a 50% match up to a max of 1.5% and it takes three years for their contributions to fully vest. it sounded like such garbage i didn't really consider paying in

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HoboMan posted:

my company does a 50% match up to a max of 1.5% and it takes three years for their contributions to fully vest. it sounded like such garbage i didn't really consider paying in

lol that's more insulting than offering no match

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

as long as the funds aren't extortionate garbage it's still worth to put money in the 401k regardless of matching, as the IRAs limit you to 6k/yr or whatever while the 401k lets you put in 18k

but any matching is slam dunk free money. even with extortionate garbage funds, as long as you roll that money out when you leave

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I once worked for a place that did a one half of one percent match. And yes, I clarified that it wasn't a 50% match up to x-dollars or y%.

The HR guy actually got all :smuggo: about it, like: "Check us out, loving our people over".

I mean, I still worked there and left for different reasons (working for a VAR is poo poo) but goddamn.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
apologies for the 401k derail.

I feel very liberated. I am giving myself a month off before the next gig. Hard stop at 40 hours/wk :allears:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
companies don't offer a match because it makes employees happy. that would be a dumb use of money. easier to just put it directly into wages.

401k matching is more or less required by the irs. every 401k program has to face a "means test." a large fraction of total contributions must come from regular employees, not executives or highly compensated computer touchers. congress and the irs don't want you running a 401k that only benefits the richest staffers.

if your company is full of fiscally prudent people, there will be little or no matching because the program sails through the means test easily

if your company is full of slack-jawed yokels, the matching is gonna be very generous, or maybe even just cash contributions w/out matching, in order to pass that means test and retain the sweet, sweet tax shelter for the execs.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
:yotj:

The figgies were even better than I'd hoped.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my job has a base-level additional contribution amount + an additional matching schema

im not sure if its for means testing reasons; salaries around here are probably kind of weird in some cases but it also might be some employee consolation since they got rid of offering pensions to employees at a point in the past

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

:yotj:

The figgies were even better than I'd hoped.

Nice.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

companies don't offer a match because it makes employees happy. that would be a dumb use of money. easier to just put it directly into wages.

401k matching is more or less required by the irs. every 401k program has to face a "means test." a large fraction of total contributions must come from regular employees, not executives or highly compensated computer touchers. congress and the irs don't want you running a 401k that only benefits the richest staffers.

if your company is full of fiscally prudent people, there will be little or no matching because the program sails through the means test easily

if your company is full of slack-jawed yokels, the matching is gonna be very generous, or maybe even just cash contributions w/out matching, in order to pass that means test and retain the sweet, sweet tax shelter for the execs.

lol if 401k contribution limits are enough to be considered a "sweet sweet" tax shelter by your execs

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mishaq posted:

lol if 401k contribution limits are enough to be considered a "sweet sweet" tax shelter by your execs

the C levels probably need to throw a bone to the director levels?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this actually makes sense because as I've worked for smaller and more concentrated companies my 401k match has dropped

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

it's a $53,000 a year contribution to an investment portfolio that remains tax-free forever, and the tax shelter is inheritable

yeah it ain't that much on year one, but across 20 years and passed onto your heirs it stacks up really, really deep.

it's a big enough deal that execs will spend company money on matching funds just to keep the 401k shelter for themselves

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if your wealth is enumerated in millions rather than billions, the 401k tax shelter is very significant. probably the single best one you have

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
can’t you also have fun loopholes like r-money where you use it to buy stocks in such a way that it amasses millions?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a $53,000 a year contribution to an investment portfolio that remains tax-free forever, and the tax shelter is inheritable

yeah it ain't that much on year one, but across 20 years and passed onto your heirs it stacks up really, really deep.

it's a big enough deal that execs will spend company money on matching funds just to keep the 401k shelter for themselves

fair enough

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Punkbob posted:

can’t you also have fun loopholes like r-money where you use it to buy stocks in such a way that it amasses millions?
Yes, it's possible to have your 401k rolled over into a self-directed roth ira, then direct those investments into your partners at baine capital, then have them invest those money into narrowly held non-publicly available assets you control such that 50k chunks become 500k in a few years, leading to millions of dollars of tax-free money in your account.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this is beginning to sound like a buttcoin scheme

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

this new open plan office will revolutionize our siloed business! *seats developers 1/4 mile away from the product team*

we recently moved our entire software department to a different building down the street

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

we are running out of space and the entire it team is hoping they cloister us off in a separate location

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im currently sitting in an ~agile space~ that used to be offices just 3 months ago. at least now i can see daylight.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MeruFM posted:

this is beginning to sound like a buttcoin scheme

yeah the only difference is these guys actually know what they're doing

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm currently attempting to negotiate a contract position in Boston. It's a bit of a jack of all trades position (front end, back end, hardware, mechanical engineering design, pcb design) and they asked me how many figgies and I told them I currently make $40/hour (current + some more) and they mistook that as me wanting $40/hour and tried to offer me that and vaguely hinted that $40/hour was a hard amount to request from their boss. This is a great jump in responsibility and duties. I have 0 idea of what to ask for. Any suggestions? For all the skills they need, I have about 5 years total experience.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

huhu posted:

I'm currently attempting to negotiate a contract position in Boston. It's a bit of a jack of all trades position (front end, back end, hardware, mechanical engineering design, pcb design) and they asked me how many figgies and I told them I currently make $40/hour (current + some more) and they mistook that as me wanting $40/hour and tried to offer me that and vaguely hinted that $40/hour was a hard amount to request from their boss. This is a great jump in responsibility and duties. I have 0 idea of what to ask for. Any suggestions? For all the skills they need, I have about 5 years total experience.

as a rule of thumb, you want approximately 2x as much as you would expect to make as a regular, non-contract employee.

there are a lot of costs around being a contractor.
  • self-employment tax (15.3% of income!)
  • corporate taxes (depending on state/city)
  • unemployment itself -- contracts are temporary

you are probably not going to come around to a successful negotiation on this one. negotiating up from $40 to 60-80 an hour is gonna be hard

(also, have you looked at the cost of living in boston?)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 4, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

huhu posted:

Is it 1099 contract or W2? Because if you're going to be self employed that sounds super low. If it's through an agency that's a bit better but still sounds weak. Look for contract job listings in your area for comparison? Like b.s.d. said if it's 1099 you want around 2x what a desired salary would be, for W2 I'd say 130-150%.

Also if you're self employed stuff like health insurance can be a killer, I was over $600/month before I took my gig [but I'm an old so it might not be that bad for you].

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

Is it 1099 contract or W2? Because if you're going to be self employed that sounds super low. If it's through an agency that's a bit better but still sounds weak. Look for contract job listings in your area for comparison? Like b.s.d. said if it's 1099 you want around 2x what a desired salary would be, for W2 I'd say 130-150%.
thats the key question. a w2 contract through an agency that gives you benefits is a very different beast from a 1099 that makes you pay self employment tax every quarter

contract employees should earn more per hour (sometimes a lot more) because theyre usually giving up
- benefits (medical/dental/etc)
- retirement (no 401k match)
- bonuses
- stock options
- raises
- promotions
- paid time off
- other perqs (like training allowances and conference travel)
- severance when you leave

1099 is especially brutal because you have to pay the share of your federal tax and state tax and disability and social security that your employer usually pays, on top of your regular deductions. plus you have to pay your own regular deductions. thats the "self employment tax" and its usually a 15%-20% hit to your earnings right off the top, and you have to carefully deduct it yourself and send it in every quarter and its incredibly easy to gently caress up and get into tax trouble over

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I lived for a year in Cambridge off of $12/hour. I'm just trying to climb up from there. I've gone from that to $25/hour to $35/hour in 6 months. This contract would end in December so maybe then I get full-time and make more.

You guys raise some good points. I now have even more questions to ask. I assumed it was through an agency that they'd hire me but it doesn't actually sound like it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I always chuckle a little at stories where companies try to play hardball when acquiring devs because those openings seem to never get filled seeing how the listing stays up for months and months.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

huhu posted:

I lived for a year in Cambridge off of $12/hour. I'm just trying to climb up from there. I've gone from that to $25/hour to $35/hour in 6 months. This contract would end in December so maybe then I get full-time and make more.

if they are offering you $40/hour as a contractor, they will offer you $20/hour as an employee

they know the math on this as well as we do!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This position seemed so awesome at the start. They reached out to me, I didn't even need to apply. It sounds like I have the advantage since they need someone to start by September 5th so the prototype I'd be building for the client would have a project leader since it currently appears to not have one. I didn't ask but I'm thinking he probably quit. One part is due in October and another part is due in December. I imagine they want to try and work me 60 hours/week whereas now I barely hit 40 which is lovely. Ugh.

I did just leverage this into an in person interview at 3PM today though for a full time developer position so there's that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

huhu posted:

This position seemed so awesome at the start. They reached out to me, I didn't even need to apply. It sounds like I have the advantage since they need someone to start by September 5th so the prototype I'd be building for the client would have a project leader since it currently appears to not have one. I didn't ask but I'm thinking he probably quit. One part is due in October and another part is due in December. I imagine they want to try and work me 60 hours/week whereas now I barely hit 40 which is lovely. Ugh.

I did just leverage this into an in person interview at 3PM today though for a full time developer position so there's that.

if you knew they were desperate, you should have started by asking for 2-3x what you wanted.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
They definitely have some communication issues, perhaps because the hiring manager is not a native English speaker. I said I currently make $40/hour and they thought that's what I wanted. Lesson learned I guess. Never say anything about salary first. And of course - interviewing and job hunting is garbage.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I never disclose what I currently earn, only what I want to earn, and that's usually in expectation of being haggled down. Any company that cannot figure out the correct wage to pay you based on your demands and the market is not worth the hassle working for.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

qhat posted:

I never disclose what I currently earn, only what I want to earn, and that's usually in expectation of being haggled down. Any company that cannot figure out the correct wage to pay you based on your demands and the market is not worth the hassle working for.

if they force me to say what I currently earn, I'm likely to just say what I want to earn and hope for getting like 10-20% above that.

the system works :shrug:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
just finished a half day of interviews

I feel like
PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HoboMan posted:

we are running out of space and the entire it team is hoping they cloister us off in a separate location
a bit away from me I can see two people sharing a single desk, great planning by management

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Elysiume posted:

great planning by management
thats why they get paid the big bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

When I asked about runway during an initial chat with a startup they answered by saying can't say exacts because we need you to sign an nda but we just signed a 5 year lease and money is no object. That's a bad sign, right?

• Locked thread