Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Roger_Mudd posted:

Wrong profession to be honest. Litigators get paid for conflict.

I love my job and only get litigation files when the usual litigators are out of the office on holidays or something. :shrug:

My usual practice typically does not have me interacting with litigators. For example, I just spent my morning writing an opinion that involved resolving how to deal with a dead body being locked in a permafrost tomb, so the occasional lovely opposing counsel is a small price to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

I had a guy one time send us a response letter (we had said, "look, your client has exposure for misrepresenting the financials of the business, and our client has exposure for breaking the contract, lets just walk away") that simply said, "You're client is trying to run and hide because the summary judgment freight train is comin' down the tracks!"

We laughed pretty hard at that, and then during a deposition, one of his associates told us he once sent a similar response letter that just said:

The best reply to that letter would be:

Dear Counselor,

*Your.

Best Wishes,

Goon Lawyer

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

The best reply to that letter would be:

Dear Counselor,

*Your.

Best Wishes,

Goon Lawyer

Yesssssss

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tipps posted:

I love my job and only get litigation files when the usual litigators are out of the office on holidays or something. :shrug:

My usual practice typically does not have me interacting with litigators. For example, I just spent my morning writing an opinion that involved resolving how to deal with a dead body being locked in a permafrost tomb, so the occasional lovely opposing counsel is a small price to pay.

Are you trying to lock the body in there or get it out?

I wish I'd known years ago to not try being nice to opposing litigators that made me angry, because I ended up making myself sick trying to repress the rage. Once I let it out I was much healthier (psychically, probably not mentally).

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

mastershakeman posted:

Are you trying to lock the body in there or get it out?

To get it out without destroying it. It's hard to tell how old it is, so it could have historical value as some sort of ice mummy (unlikely). Though at the very least, it would upset any living family to know that great grandpa joe who died on the land had his popsicle body accidentally cut in two by the backhoe digging him out.

There's also the lesser issues of deciding whether or not it is technically a disinterment since we can't tell if it was formally entombed or whether it was an accident, and to decide which jurisdiction owns it and whose coroner has to do the paperwork.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
LOL at this amicus brief. Just the TOC is gold:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/snarky_aclu_brief_filed_on_behalf_of_john_oliver_tells_ceo_anyone_can_legal

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

"It is apt that one of Plaintiffs' objections to the show is about a human-sized squirrel named Mr. Nutterbutter, because this case is nuts."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tipps posted:

To get it out without destroying it. It's hard to tell how old it is, so it could have historical value as some sort of ice mummy (unlikely). Though at the very least, it would upset any living family to know that great grandpa joe who died on the land had his popsicle body accidentally cut in two by the backhoe digging him out.

There's also the lesser issues of deciding whether or not it is technically a disinterment since we can't tell if it was formally entombed or whether it was an accident, and to decide which jurisdiction owns it and whose coroner has to do the paperwork.

that's awesome

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tipps posted:

Today I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get citation by publication issued by a Court down south.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Today I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get citation by publication issued by a Court down south.

Today, I tried to figure out if the third (possibly fifth) in line of allodial succession has a right to claim something called "åsete" (a special allodial-but-not-really right to super duper inherit a farm) from an old farmer's widow who's claimed the right of undivided estate (as in she's the legal-but-restricted owner of the entire estate until she croaks, then it's divided). It's loving hilariously complicated. I love allodial law.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Island law question:
Do you all still wear suits to court?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
The coroner breaks open the permafrost tomb. The mist clears. Next to the ice mummy are marks scratched into the ice, obviously done by the poor soul using the last bit of strength from his frostbitten fingertips:

ᐳᔅᑦ ᑖ ᐄᒪᓪᔅ

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tipps posted:

The coroner breaks open the permafrost tomb. The mist clears. Next to the ice mummy are marks scratched into the ice, obviously done by the poor soul using the last bit of strength from his frostbitten fingertips:

ᐳᔅᑦ ᑖ ᐄᒪᓪᔅ

I sure do hope that translates to "post the emails."

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I just looked up allodial law and I'm surprised SovCits haven't picked this one up

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

nm posted:

Island law question:

I wear khakis and a blazer to everyday court, suit on trial days. No court today so hoodie and jeans.

Lawyers are the only people in Hawaii who wear coat and tie. Bankers, executives etc wear dress pants and a tucked in reverse print aloha shirt.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

Island law question:

Suit for trial, shirt and tie for everyday court, Hawaiian shirt on Friday for court.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I wear khakis and a blazer to everyday court, suit on trial days. No court today so hoodie and jeans.

Lawyers are the only people in Hawaii who wear coat and tie. Bankers, executives etc wear dress pants and a tucked in reverse print aloha shirt.

Same in the CNMI. You wouldn’t want to wear island clothing in the courthouse, anyway: the air conditioning runs full blast all the time to keep everything from getting moldy and it’s usually about 65 degrees in there.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

I just looked up allodial law and I'm surprised SovCits haven't picked this one up

That would be spectacularly retarded. At least here it's guaranteed by the constitution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Makes me sad that for all our progress we continue to live in a world filled with disinformation. That there is some shameful bullshit. Also extremely tangential to «my» allodial law, which is much closer to the original meaning and intent, as passed down by the normans who took it from viking law.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Makes me sad that for all our progress we continue to live in a world filled with disinformation. That there is some shameful bullshit. Also extremely tangential to «my» allodial law, which is much closer to the original meaning and intent, as passed down by the normans who took it from viking law.
You should write a book and sell it to angry american white supremacists for $100. Original viking property law!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

You should write a book and sell it to angry american white supremacists for $100. Original viking property law!

gently caress that, sell a one-day seminar for $900

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Well, it does predate the Magna Carta, and the vikings did love gold fringe on everything...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Unfortunately (?) I took an oath against that poo poo and also I like having my license.

I guess I'm really more of a typist than an author, anyway.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Make a story about a man winning his land back with viking law. It's a work of fiction, not your fault if people go to court with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Unfortunately (?) I took an oath against that poo poo and also I like having my license.

I guess I'm really more of a typist than an author, anyway.

Does this apply if you only hawk it in the US?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Does this apply if you only hawk it in the US?

Yes. Unfortunately, due to the EEA (I assume) ethics and such is considered pretty much borderless. It sort of harmonizes with the fact that any citizen can be prosecuted for anything that's a crime both here and abroad, regardless of prior convictions in said country (pretty much the only exception to double jeopardy I know of offhand).

E: I mean I'm not saying I'm not considering it anyway

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So walking back to the office after lunch I saw this.

Apparently they are Pokemans. What does this mean? Will there be weird assortments of trench coats, tight-rear end jeans, and construction workers standing around this tree in the future?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I've notice more pokemon people too. I thought that was a flash in the pan, why is it back?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
All standing around a tree taptaptaptaptapping on their phones...KIDS THESE DAYS

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

I've notice more pokemon people too. I thought that was a flash in the pan, why is it back?

my understanding is they added actual gameplay instead of just collecting

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i play pokemans every day and am great at it ama

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So walking back to the office after lunch I saw this.

Apparently they are Pokemans. What does this mean? Will there be weird assortments of trench coats, tight-rear end jeans, and construction workers standing around this tree in the future?

Looks like a cult to do me. Follow the footsteps of Charlemagne and George Washington and cut the tree down.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
:patriot: Guam goons :patriot:

Duck and cover friends, duck and cover.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-usa-idUSKBN1AO2L9?il=0&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We do have a good missile defense system, my worry is that a nuke gets smuggled in on a ship or they use a sub to do a suicide run.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You have to admit, though, the part of the KCNA release where they talk about the “air pirates of Guam” was pretty cool. Like you guys are LARPing Crimson Skies.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

echopapa posted:

You have to admit, though, the part of the KCNA release where they talk about the “air pirates of Guam” was pretty cool. Like you guys are LARPing Crimson Skies.

no mention of the "butt pirates of Saipan" though, sad!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

But at least I have a name for my next beach league team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Echopapa, when someone on Rota or Tinian is arrested for something, what happens? Do they have courthouses there? Do they fly them to Saipan? How does that poo poo work? Do they fly the witnesses? Do they fly the lawyers and judge there?

edit: I'm looking at this court calendar, how are there so many loving civil cases? Is every company on the island suing everyone? http://www.justice.gov.mp/uploads/Sup._Crt._Cal_08.07.2017.pdf

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 9, 2017