Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Phew. Always a concern when you take a relatively uncommon approach

You find your own snitch, cop. Seriously though, really enjoying how we're going to be bound by GDPR and a bunch of other EU laws without the ability to influence them. If I hadn't got myself a backup EU citizenship I wouldn't be protected by them either.

Is this going to be like watching The Office?

It's not like the office because the punchline isn't that Michael Scott is super racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hoshi posted:

It's not like the office because the punchline isn't that Michael Scott is super racist

Maybe but what about David Brent?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How much money do biglaw associates make, anyway? I know the base salaries but how variable are the bonuses - like $30k or $100k? I am trying to compare this to a midsize NY firm that pays $170k first year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

How much money do biglaw associates make, anyway? I know the base salaries but how variable are the bonuses - like $30k or $100k? I am trying to compare this to a midsize NY firm that pays $170k first year.

No answers until you post the emails.

Hey jaded burnout, you sound like you really haven't done a lot of research for someone so curious about the law and it's practice and study. Get your money back and figure out what you want to do. That's life advice.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Throatwarbler posted:

THE

EMAILS

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

This is a pretty jewish question IMO

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is a pretty jewish question IMO

Super important: always use the word answer from now on when referring to questions.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
hell yeah you guys Rachel Maddow says she has copies of the emails and will be revealing them shortly, gently caress yeah! Tune into MSNBC like now!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
poo poo nevermind it's just his online application for pizza hut from like 6 years ago

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Man I figured with this many posts one would have included the emails.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Greetings, friends, long time no spost the emails

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Senior Partner put his pencil down and looked up, and the Warszawa smiled.

"The S comes before the Z," said the Senior Partner, a playful glint in his eyes. He laughed, holding up the pad of yellow lined paper they'd been working on since midnight. Line after line, page after page, the young catamite's name scrawled again and again in graphite but every time spelled wrong...until now.

"I hear from the junior partners that you have personal goals," said the Senior Partner as he rolled his leather executive chair around the desk. The Partner's legs fit perfectly around the Warszawa's, two knobby sharkskin knees against the young man's Tom Ford-clad thighs. "Tell me about them."

The Warszawa licked his lips. This was as good a time as any, the sky outside the Senior Patner's windows a deep purple as the sun threatened to rise. The Warszawa slowly slipped to his knees and thought how far he'd come, how few others could say they'd seen their name spelled correctly on the Partner's pad.

"I do have a goal," he said, looking up into the Partner's face. "And that goal is yourggllmfffgglllllffff..."

Reupping this Phil post on the Warszawa because I still think about it all the time.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
missed you too

also that's a pretty good answer to the question on biglaw salaries: "you can wear Tom Ford but there's a price, a terrible price..."

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 4, 2017

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I just got my first jury summons. I am promptly submitting a postponement though I somehow don't expect to be impaneled.

That said, throatwarbler is definitely guilty of not posting the emails.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

missed you too

also that's a pretty good answer to the question on biglaw salaries: "you can wear Tom Ford but there's a price, a terrible price..."

Hard to believe that Phil post was in 2014, before Trump even declared.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
yes, in the before fore

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Mudd & Associates P.C. Is dead.

I now work for "the man" and make six figures.

Edit: go to law school. Live with unbearable stress for 5 years until it puts you in the ER. Cash out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
drat dude, what was the ER trip about? you OK?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

drat dude, what was the ER trip about? you OK?

Yeah. Severe colitis, most likely caused by stress.

The. Stress. Of. Not. Reading. Those. Emails.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Mudd & Associates P.C. Is dead.

I now work for "the man" and make six figures.

Edit: go to law school. Live with unbearable stress for 5 years until it puts you in the ER. Cash out.

Firm or other?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Firm or other?

Firm.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

You know, most people would be able to find an answer to that question by Googling it.

Try it. Go to google, type in “post my emails”, and hit I’m Feeling Lucky.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol @ everything

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey jaded burnout, you sound like you really haven't done a lot of research for someone so curious about the law and it's practice and study. Get your money back and figure out what you want to do. That's life advice.

Eh. There's only so much learning about learning about something you can do before you have to start actually learning about it. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice, though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seriously though, really enjoying how we're going to be bound by GDPR and a bunch of other EU laws without the ability to influence them. If I hadn't got myself a backup EU citizenship I wouldn't be protected by them either.

I'm really enjoying the fact that the GDPR is hitting every business and government org like a smack in the face when it's implemented unrevised through the EEC. Thousands of businesses boned without the prerequisite competency on law, computers and english (wording matters, and english wording matters more).

And here I sit, a computer nerd with a law degree, experience and a specialty in public law - and a fair grasp of the english language. Oh yes, the GDPR is very welcome and I hope it lands me a nice and cushy job supervising or some other nebulous crap. I should probably start preparing for the coming storm right now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My tech clients are already getting started so yeah I'd get on that if I were you.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Eh. There's only so much learning about learning about something you can do before you have to start actually learning about it. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice, though.

You literally didn't know there was some other degree program available to you (that sounded like it may be better suited to you) until like, yesterday.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Eyyyyyy congrats man!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You literally didn't know there was some other degree program available to you (that sounded like it may be better suited to you) until like, yesterday.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't find out about the GDL until after

"after" being after I'd financially committed to the LLB, not yesterday. What I'd missed was the 14 day cancel option I had on the LLB, without which there wasn't much point me looking any harder at the GDL.

Also, it's definitely not better suited.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
A question to the litigators: how do you deal with anxiety re: lovely opposing counsel?

I was hired mostly as a researcher/writer, but once in a while a litigation file will come across my desk. Whenever I get into heated discussions with opposing counsel, it causes me a lot of anxiety and stress because I don't have a lot of experience dealing with these types of personalities.

Drink more?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Tipps posted:

A question to the litigators: how do you deal with anxiety re: lovely opposing counsel?

I was hired mostly as a researcher/writer, but once in a while a litigation file will come across my desk. Whenever I get into heated discussions with opposing counsel, it causes me a lot of anxiety and stress because I don't have a lot of experience dealing with these types of personalities.

Drink more?

Wrong profession to be honest. Litigators get paid for conflict.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Tipps posted:

Drink more?

Therapy.

I can get very anxious when dealing with aggressive oc. Years of therapy have taught me how to deal with the physiological reactions. Aside from that, pretending to be confident in my actions. Worst case scenario is usually that I lose a case. Which isn't that bad.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tipps posted:

Drink more?

Exposure Therapy. And don't worry, you'll get alot of it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My emotional response to those kinds of assholes has always been anger.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tipps posted:

Drink more?

generally, the shittier opposing counsel is, the weaker their case

if they're lovely to me it makes it a personal delight to destroy their case and it feels much better finding the legal technicality that opens a trapdoor under their client dropping him into a pit filled with spikes

i still have the decision on my wall from one guy who tried screaming at me that i didn't understand the issues at issue in a case where the judge ruled in our favor on all five independent reasons to throw out his case, along with a finding that his client was not credible, making the decision absolutely appeal-proof, and noting that the guy's own expert had essentially confirmed our entire case

guess i understood the issues pretty well :smugdog:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

generally, the shittier opposing counsel is, the weaker their case

if they're lovely to me it makes it a personal delight to destroy their case and it feels much better finding the legal technicality that opens a trapdoor under their client dropping him into a pit filled with spikes

i still have the decision on my wall from one guy who tried screaming at me that i didn't understand the issues at issue in a case where the judge ruled in our favor on all five independent reasons to throw out his case, along with a finding that his client was not credible, making the decision absolutely appeal-proof, and noting that the guy's own expert had essentially confirmed our entire case

guess i understood the issues pretty well :smugdog:

My arch nemesis is a guy I've dealt with on two separate matters, and not only is he a terrible attorney, he's also smug, combative and lovely. He literally has no idea what he's doing, so his MO is to act more and more holier-than-thou and dismissive of everything until he finally loses. Both of our cases against his clients (government entities) were specifically because he advised his entity that they could do "X" and wrote the ordinances/letters/emails helping them do "X", and "X" was literally unconstitutional, and borderline criminal. He got dropkicked out of court so hard that he still hasn't landed.

God drat, now I'm angry just thinking about that stupid piece of poo poo.

omg I'm the lovely opposing counsel?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I get very flat with them. I will literally respond to their letters with a letter that says "K." They're looking to get a reaction out of you and not getting one pisses them off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Doctor & Med School Thread cross postin':

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/02/541126799/new-fears-for-public-service-loan-forgiveness

Any thoughts from the thread on the first wave of PSLF that we're all waiting for this fall? I remember that article from the WSJ a year or two back about a lawyer's paperwork getting denied, sky is falling, etc, but I thought that was due to the tax status of the organization. Any chance that 501c3s get treated differently?

Also post the e-mail.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I had a guy one time send us a response letter (we had said, "look, your client has exposure for misrepresenting the financials of the business, and our client has exposure for breaking the contract, lets just walk away") that simply said, "You're client is trying to run and hide because the summary judgment freight train is comin' down the tracks!"

We laughed pretty hard at that, and then during a deposition, one of his associates told us he once sent a similar response letter that just said:

Dear Counselor,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Regards,
Dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

I had a guy one time send us a response letter (we had said, "look, your client has exposure for misrepresenting the financials of the business, and our client has exposure for breaking the contract, lets just walk away") that simply said, "You're client is trying to run and hide because the summary judgment freight train is comin' down the tracks!"

We laughed pretty hard at that, and then during a deposition, one of his associates told us he once sent a similar response letter that just said:

Dear Counselor,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Regards,
Dipshit.

I really wanted a sic there