Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The non XL Pixel 2 has leaked yet again and the bezels are not great:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/893502380783923203

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

Bezelchat is burying the lede - look at those stereo front facing speakers!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My 6P has two front facing speakers. (haha, just kidding, they're fake)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Incessant Excess posted:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/893502380783923203

Would be nice if they would put a home button or something or capacitive buttons on all that dead space

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

Would be nice if they would put a home button or something or capacitive buttons on all that dead space

It would be nice if the Pixel 2 wasn't just last years phone with an updated SoC and the headphone jack removed but welp

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That looks exactly like my Nexus 6P.

Just without a headphone jack.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mogomra posted:

I always thought that no headphone jack would be a deal breaker for me, but now that I'm actually thinking about it, I can't think of the last time I used the headphone jack on my phone. This is kind of freaking me out. Everyone has Bluetooth in their car now.

I used to mow the lawn listening to music on my phone, but I haven't in at least a year or more.

I intend to bitch and moan about this the entire time I'm buying one. At least you can get bluetooth headphones for not much now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Wacky Delly posted:

I intend to bitch and moan about this the entire time I'm buying one. At least you can get bluetooth headphones for not much now.

Yea, cheap BT headphones are about the same as cheap wired headphones. I hate having to remember to charge them up though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Why is there such a small selection of wired usb-c headphones still?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
On Monday I contacted Google and ordered a warranty replacement for my 6P because of battery issues. I hope the replacement gets here soon because poo poo like this started happening yesterday:

After randomly rebooting it the battery indicator was stuck at 17%, and it wouldn't charge at all until I shut it down. Now it will only charge when plugged into a PC using an A-C cable, or when turned off and plugged in to a USB C AC adapter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Incessant Excess posted:

Why is there such a small selection of wired usb-c headphones still?

Because companies are focusing on bluetooth headphones

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Adding to "list of poo poo I need to buy to use modern smartphones correctly" is a new tape deck for my car, which circa 2005 the most cutting edge features it has are a built-in CD player and displaying broadcast text in a LED digit display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

...Why do you need a tape deck?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I think they just meant the entire radio.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

I think they just meant the entire radio.

I now really want there to be a Samsung Pay-esque way for phones to manipulate magnetic fields to wirelessly simulate a cassette.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Adding to "list of poo poo I need to buy to use modern smartphones correctly" is a new tape deck for my car, which circa 2005 the most cutting edge features it has are a built-in CD player and displaying broadcast text in a LED digit display.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NLTW60

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

I now really want there to be a Samsung Pay-esque way for phones to manipulate magnetic fields to wirelessly simulate a cassette.

, but bluetooth

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

, but bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Cassette-Adapter-Bluetooth/

Done :smugdog:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

...Why do you need a tape deck?

They used to be called "tape decks", now they're called "heads" which frankly is confusing as gently caress without the full context of what you're talking about. But yeah, the entire radio-thingie.

It also has no audio jack in. You literally need...

RZA Encryption posted:

, but bluetooth

Yeah, one of these things to get audio from my phone or anything else at all.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

They used to be called "tape decks", now they're called "heads" which frankly is confusing as gently caress without the full context of what you're talking about. But yeah, the entire radio-thingie.

It also has no audio jack in. You literally need...

Yeah, one of these things to get audio from my phone or anything else at all.

Wait, so it has a tape head AND a CD player?

Huh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL diverging, it's obvious that the Pixel must have sold dramatically fewer units than the XL and they are spending more dev time on the larger phone.

I will still say though that nothing is official yet and we might be seeing placeholder renders.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nimper posted:

Wait, so it has a tape head AND a CD player?

Huh.

So, Android Auto is just plug-and-play with this, right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So, Android Auto is just plug-and-play with this, right?

Yeah stick your phone in the dock in the middle

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

, but bluetooth

Look I was very specific about wanting magic sci fi technomancy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

With the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL diverging, it's obvious that the Pixel must have sold dramatically fewer units than the XL and they are spending more dev time on the larger phone.

I will still say though that nothing is official yet and we might be seeing placeholder renders.

I hope those renders are wrong because I'll be skipping the Pixel 2 if it's got the same bezels as the first one. I don't know what it is but bezels are ruining my life.

The renders I posted a few pages back made me so happy. Those were the days. Of our lives.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope those renders are wrong because I'll be skipping the Pixel 2 if it's got the same bezels as the first one. I don't know what it is but bezels are ruining my life.

The renders I posted a few pages back made me so happy. Those were the days. Of our lives.

The Android Thread - I Don't Know What It Is But Bezels Are Ruining My Life

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Everybody was really down on the Pixel before it was released because of its bezels. Then people got it and were like "yeah I can live with these bezels because this phone is fuckin awesome".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If you're having phone problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 9.9mm bezels but Touchwiz ain't one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Everybody was really down on the Pixel before it was released because of its bezels. Then people got it and were like "yeah I can live with these bezels because this phone is fuckin awesome".

I would say the main issue right now is the Pixel is still loving awesome, so what's the point in upgrading other than a 20% boost from a newer SoC.

Guess that's the problem with hitting the home run out of the gate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

Hell, same with the specs, tons of shitters were like "THEY RELEASED A MID-RANGE PHONE AT A FLAGSHIP PRICE" and hot drat it turns out that if you don't crap up the OS with dumb poo poo you don't need 16GB of fuckin' RAM to run the browser lol

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
How does the Pixel/XL hold up long term?

The amazing shortgevity of my N6P caused me to switch over to an iPhone but I really aren't happy over on the iOS side and would love to switch back if there are no glaring, common faults that crop up after 12 months (I know we're only at 9 months but it should still be a bit of an indication)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My tiny pixel is a good as the day I got it. It's nice to not have to baby my phone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My XL is still running as snappy as day 1 also.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same here, Pixel Supremacy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hi guys, I hope this is the place to discuss this. I have two LG Stylos. I bought them for me and my mother back in 2015. I'm her caregiver as her SSDI and the politics since she's had it (late bush admin thru to today) has meant that, she hasn't seen a cost of living increase in two years, and since Trump took office they pulled some fuckery where they claimed to send paperwork that never arrived and now she's lost part but not all of her medical coverage until the next enrollment period. needless to say she can't afford to live solo unless someone shoved her in a home. I'm not that kind of rear end in a top hat.

This is a digression to explain what's up. Now that she's gonna be paying hundreds of dollars a month for medicine until open enrollment. we have to drop t-mobile. Despite the fact these are MY phones, because SHE owes money on the bill, they refuse to unlock them so i can shove trakfone sim cards inside them. I feel like this shouldn't be legal, especially since this new service didn't come with a contract and there's no way it should be lawful for them to hold my own phone hostage over a bill that belongs to my parent, given i am an adult.

None of yall needed to know that, but I want to explain why I want my loving phones unlocked, and t-mobile won't do it. I paid for a service that SHOULD unlock them, and i have the instructions to do so now, but I'm wondering if I should wait. They're telling me that I need to pay a sum that's worth like 130% of what these mid-range budget phones cost when they were new, even though the stylo is on generation 2 or 3 by now.

My main concern is that while T-mobile's network is still active, they might be able to remotely lock them. I can't afford to re-unlock these things right now. can that hapen if I prematurely unlock these phones againse t-mobile's wishes?

The smart thing to do is use this service after t-mobile cuts us off, right?

another question is this, if this doesn't work, is there a way to forcefully unlock these phones? I own the goddamned phone and I can't afford another that's not a way shittier grandpa phone, and I already have a sim with pre-paid time ready to go, so does anyone know of a program or service that will brute force it if need be? in case what i intend to use doesn't work. I read the rules and unless my sleep deprived brain missed a forum rule, I think I can discuss this. I intend to keep my phone. I'm not buying some alcatel junk phone. The stylo isn't exactly a luxury phone but it's what i know and what i like, and I need a way out.

I'm so tired, i may forget i posted here, i'll try to remember to check here, but if anyone would PM me about my options here for unlocking these phones for use out of t-mobile's network, i'd appreciate it. i wish I was wealthy because I'd lawyer up just to annoy t-mobile, even if i was guaranteed to lose, because the headaches this is causing make me want serious revenge.

i signed no terms of service or contract that gave them this right, and if there's any kind of law that allows this I'm gonna throw a full blown autistic shitfit. nobody will care but god dammit this has been maddening. if i cant get a phone working, i can't manage her loving doctors visits, or any of the myriad of things she struggles to do by herself.

I dunno why i'm oversharing here, just to drive home how important it is i get these phones unlocked against t-mobile's wishes i guess.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not really one for big phones but if the price difference between the Pixel 2 and 2 XL is the same as it was last year, I can see myself going for the XL due to the improved design.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Since it's an android, you can just find an unlocking website and get the codes that way.

I don't have any sites handy though, but I'm sure someone in the thread knows one or two.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He's talking about carrier unlocking which is different from bootloader unlocking. If there is an outstanding balance on the account they aren't going to unlock them and I'm fairly sure the only way to do it is pay what she owes. In the future buy the phone unlocked rather than from a carrier

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Blue Train posted:

He's talking about carrier unlocking which is different from bootloader unlocking. If there is an outstanding balance on the account they aren't going to unlock them and I'm fairly sure the only way to do it is pay what she owes. In the future buy the phone unlocked rather than from a carrier

Third party carrier unlocking (scroll down to Method 2) is totally a thing for android.

Now if they blacklist the phone's IMEI, there's no way around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

How does the Pixel/XL hold up long term?

The amazing shortgevity of my N6P caused me to switch over to an iPhone but I really aren't happy over on the iOS side and would love to switch back if there are no glaring, common faults that crop up after 12 months (I know we're only at 9 months but it should still be a bit of an indication)

My Pixel XL is as snappy as day one for me. No complaints at all.