Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hot take - Give us the release date Wiz. The public deserves to know! :argh:

Time to file a space FOIA request.

This just struck me and it might be a dumb idea but, it'd be cool if tile blockers instead of being removed we got to choose how to specialize them. Like removing a toxic kelp forest gave us the option to create a nature preserve +society research, or a tidal electric zone + energy, or a space mariculture zone +food. Also allow us to keep those tiles for benefits like keeping the kelp forest lets you harvest xeno animals to trade if you build a lab next to it or something like that.

Also requires auto build templates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Is there any way to edit the names of the pre-existing species? I really struggle with inter-species diplomacy because the names of other empires are meaningless to me. I wanted to change all their names to existing states (France, US, China etc.) as that way I'd actually remember who I have relationships with and who I hate, but whenever I edit those species before game, it just creates a new species instead..

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Having to pay all the costs up front is one of the worst mistakes strategy games can ever make. You really mean that a society with FTL travel can't even start laying the foundation for that new energy plant until everything including the couch for the break room is piled up next to the site?

Streaming economies/taking a tiny bit of resources every day and filling up a progress bar would both make so much more sense and be so much easier on players. Might be way harder to calculate and gently caress performance, though, I Am Not A Game Dev.

It's like The Road Not Taken, but with project management!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

The core system limit already caps the number of different queues you can have running at once - and if a player can't figure out that "I tell things to build things, so I won't accumulate minerals" he's got bigger problems. Never cripple a UI because some people might be too dumb to use it.
Cool your jets! Nobody's being dumb. If you're not spending everything you have then you're not developing as fast as you could be and That's Bad. If your queues are spending money as fast as it's coming in That's Good. But if you find you need to build something outside your existing queued orders there needs to be a way to do so other than manually disabling all your queues. Messing about with queue orders is one way, with "prioritise this" or "put this at the top of the queue" or "suspend all builds" buttons, but I like the idea of queued orders pulling from one silo and your priority builds pulling from your personal stash. It meshes with the existing sectors system in a way that is pleasing to me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Is there any way to edit the names of the pre-existing species? I really struggle with inter-species diplomacy because the names of other empires are meaningless to me. I wanted to change all their names to existing states (France, US, China etc.) as that way I'd actually remember who I have relationships with and who I hate, but whenever I edit those species before game, it just creates a new species instead..
I don't think so, but you can take the existing ones, dupe them with a different name, and then set the originals to never spawn.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

This is what custom empires are made for. Crap out a bunch of those and set them to always spawn. It'll make a world of difference in future games.

I think seeing recurring villains (and well meaning freaks, like my fanatical befrienders the Radishon Embassy Suites) makes the game a lot more personable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do refugees actually exist? Like when I convert a conquered species into nuggs are any ever actually getting away? I never saw refugees while playing as a good guy.

They do, playing as a Purifier I've seen pops just vanish from worlds where they still had years left on their purge timers. Only place they could really be going is to other empires.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

They're pretty rare in 1.6/1.7, also have some bugs that make them rarer. Being a Xenophile refugee haven is a much stronger strategy in 1.8.
Very important question: Can you be a refugee haven as rogue servitors?

I feel like people fleeing genocide would be relevant to the interests of oppressively benevolent robots, and surely some refugee pops would be willing to give this whole 'material paradise' thing a try, even if it means giving up their autonomy.

Also, will they get xenophile wargoals like stop atrocities and stuff like that?

Rogue servitors are basically the greatest thing you've added to this game, and it seems like other folks are similarly interested, so I hope they're well supported with sensible flavor/RP stuff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

Very important question: Can you be a refugee haven as rogue servitors?

I feel like people fleeing genocide would be relevant to the interests of oppressively benevolent robots, and surely some refugee pops would be willing to give this whole 'material paradise' thing a try, even if it means giving up their autonomy.

Also, will they get xenophile wargoals like stop atrocities and stuff like that?

Rogue servitors are basically the greatest thing you've added to this game, and it seems like other folks are similarly interested, so I hope they're well supported with sensible flavor/RP stuff.

Yes, Rogue Servitors can accept refugees. They don't get the stop atrocities wargoal right now, but I wouldn't mind adding that to them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Wiz posted:

They're pretty rare in 1.6/1.7, also have some bugs that make them rarer. Being a Xenophile refugee haven is a much stronger strategy in 1.8.

Yessss.

I dream of building a glorious psionic empire made up of refugee races that found a home, then learned how to murder their former masters with their minds. :getin:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rogue Servitors sound cool, but their production bonuses would have to be pretty good in order to overcome the burden of having a bunch of mostly useless bio-trophy pops around. Has there been any info released on how that balances out?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Rogue Servitors sound cool, but their production bonuses would have to be pretty good in order to overcome the burden of having a bunch of mostly useless bio-trophy pops around. Has there been any info released on how that balances out?

The thing said they gen unity with their special buildings so they don't sound all that useless really. Since you are robutt you can control growth and I assume you can control it so bio-trophies to grow exactly as much as you want them to.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bold Robot posted:

We're still messing around with their balance, I buffed them quite a bit today after playing with them yesterday. Right now, Bio-Trophies are automatically given sanctuaries and produce 1 Unity each (can be upgraded to 2 with a tradition), and you get +0.5 influence and +5% robot resource production for every 10% of your population that is made up of them. From what play-testing I've done with these changes, you can get a lot of unity and influence going early and start stacking resources and bonuses nicely. They're also the machine empire that's best liked by most other empires, if you take the emotion emulators trait they have a pretty strong diplomatic game.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 4, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Having to pay all the costs up front is one of the worst mistakes strategy games can ever make. You really mean that a society with FTL travel can't even start laying the foundation for that new energy plant until everything including the couch for the break room is piled up next to the site?

Streaming economies/taking a tiny bit of resources every day and filling up a progress bar would both make so much more sense and be so much easier on players. Might be way harder to calculate and gently caress performance, though, I Am Not A Game Dev.

GalCiv II gave you three options of how to pay for things (one lump sum, cheapest; small lump sum and a small monthly payment for years/months; or an even smaller monthly payment, but overall a lot more expensive. It's not complicated, easy to keep track of and allows a bit more strategic thinking on how you're going to finance your intergalactic empire.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Speaking of lump sums and monthly payments, I'd be really great if policies had a "automatically re-issue this policy" checkbox, or a version of the policy that, instead of lump influence, runs until you cancel it for a influence income penalty. Or a big obvious "your policy on x planet just ran out doofus" indicator.

Edit: and when I say policy I mean edict. The planet buff things.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Speaking of lump sums and monthly payments, I'd be really great if policies had a "automatically re-issue this policy" checkbox, or a version of the policy that, instead of lump influence, runs until you cancel it for a influence income penalty. Or a big obvious "your policy on x planet just ran out doofus" indicator.

Policy expiration messages would be extremely good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lum_ posted:

There's a pretty good mod out that changes up human appearance/clothing based on ethics (militarists wear military uniforms, materialists wear suits, etc)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1074841707

I must admit I'm curious why the materialist portraits are wearing stolen Cerberus outfits complete with the logo.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lum_ posted:

There's a pretty good mod out that changes up human appearance/clothing based on ethics (militarists wear military uniforms, materialists wear suits, etc)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1074841707

i want my xenophobes to wear red hats

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

We're still messing around with their balance, I buffed them quite a bit today after playing with them yesterday. Right now, Bio-Trophies are automatically given sanctuaries and produce 1 Unity each (can be upgraded to 2 with a tradition), and you get +0.5 influence and +5% robot resource production for every 10% of your population that is made up of them. From what play-testing I've done with these changes, you can get a lot of unity and influence going early and start stacking resources and bonuses nicely. They're also the machine empire that's best liked by most other empires, if you take the emotion emulators trait they have a pretty strong diplomatic game.

"Emotion emulators". Late game sperg dominance CONFIRMED.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

Yes, Rogue Servitors can accept refugees. They don't get the stop atrocities wargoal right now, but I wouldn't mind adding that to them.
Fantastic!

I only learned you did a Rogue Servitor stream after I made that post, and it's answering a lot of my questions too.

I'm super excited to play a game of Stellaris where my goal is to conquer the galaxy and still pretend I'm being benevolent.

Bold Robot posted:

Watching the stream now, it looks like being able to turn off population growth at will helps a lot with that. In the early game you'll have a lot of control over how many pets you want to support.

Integrating a massive populous empire... that seems like it might be a more difficult proposition. The new land displacement policy seems like it'd help with that, even though it seems kind of mean for Rogue Servitors. I guess they'd have to make room for all the caretakers to adequately pamper their new trophy pops, but it does seem like an awkward problem other empires don't have to deal with.

Which isn't an issue for me. Even if they were a strict downgrade, as long as they weren't unplayably difficult I'd go for them 'cause it's more fun to RP these things than min-max them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eiba posted:

Fantastic!

I only learned you did a Rogue Servitor stream after I made that post, and it's answering a lot of my questions too.

I'm super excited to play a game of Stellaris where my goal is to conquer the galaxy and still pretend I'm being benevolent.

Watching the stream now, it looks like being able to turn off population growth at will helps a lot with that. In the early game you'll have a lot of control over how many pets you want to support.

Integrating a massive populous empire... that seems like it might be a more difficult proposition. The new land displacement policy seems like it'd help with that, even though it seems kind of mean for Rogue Servitors. I guess they'd have to make room for all the caretakers to adequately pamper their new trophy pops, but it does seem like an awkward problem other empires don't have to deal with.

Which isn't an issue for me. Even if they were a strict downgrade, as long as they weren't unplayably difficult I'd go for them 'cause it's more fun to RP these things than min-max them.

You can still diplo vassalize them and keep them that way if you can't afford to integrate their pop into your nation without bankrupting yourself.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

Fantastic!

Rogue Servitors clear out a bunch of pops on crowded biological planets they conquer, the fluff being that their sanctuaries are space-efficient so the pops aren't being killed or displaced, just stacked into the sanctuaries.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

The entirety of this game's early game hangs on clicking poo poo on planets and systems. Removing pop micro would pretty much remove the early game, and later on when poo poo becomes too much, you can just sector everything, except a few built up planets for easy spaceport access. Hell, I'd sector *everything*, if there was still an easy way to access many spaceports while them being in sectors.

I honestly don't see the problem.

Then again, my outliner in my current game looks like https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_08_04_1.png maybe I'm the problem.

Clicking stuff, by itself, isn't good gameplay. If it offers interesting choices, that's fine, but there's no inherent gameplay value in having to go to one of your spaceports, click "Corvette" twenty times, then go to another spaceport and do it again, and so on. Being able to just open up a window, configure a build order for 200 corvettes, and letting the game distribute them between your various spaceports is much simpler. There isn't much substance to a lot of aspects of the game, true, but that's a problem that needs real solutions rather than just padding it out by wasting the player's time with meaningless tedium.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

if you're making something so focused on unity it would perhaps be a good idea to have some sort of endgame unity dump, cause after a while you just end up with every tree filled out and nothing to spend your unity on. some sort of repeatable tech maybe

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Davincie posted:

if you're making something so focused on unity it would perhaps be a good idea to have some sort of endgame unity dump, cause after a while you just end up with every tree filled out and nothing to spend your unity on. some sort of repeatable tech maybe

This is coming. Not in 1.8, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Tbh the early game mineral crunch is where most of your hardest choices lie. I'd much rather the rest of the game had a similar feel of running against a punishing resource curve.

Yeah snap I quite like the early game for that reason.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wiz posted:

Rogue Servitors clear out a bunch of pops on crowded biological planets they conquer, the fluff being that their sanctuaries are space-efficient so the pops aren't being killed or displaced, just stacked into the sanctuaries.

This is really clever. Would stacked pops get a bonus or is this just a way to remove pops without suffering diplomatic maluses? Either way is cool but one is cooler than the other.. ;)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is really clever. Would stacked pops get a bonus or is this just a way to remove pops without suffering diplomatic maluses? Either way is cool but one is cooler than the other.. ;)

It's a way for rogue servitors to handle conquered planets in the mid/late game as otherwise they crash their economies. Mechanically, it really just removes some pops, no species will be wiped off a planet by doing it though. Tile system doesn't allow for a ton of granularity, unfortunately.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Any plans for a silicon based species pack? Or just rock people? I am giving up creating my own animated Silicoid prortaits for a MOO2 mod. poo poo is hard.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nitrousoxide posted:

This sounds awful.

No more awful than any other method of handling the building/upgrading portion of the game. If you're playing stellaris, that's part of the game you have to engage with, might as well find a way to do it that minimises the effort.

Before I switched to doing this, I'd find myself either forgetting to actually look at planets which meant that they'd fill up with pops working bare tiles or have a bunch of unupgraded buildings, or I'd end up looking at planets building nothing in the outliner and thinking "why is this planet building nothing--*click* --oh, because there's nothing to build". That was awful, all the pointless clicking for no reason. I wanted to find a way to minimise how often I'd click on a planet only to realise there was nothing to do.

So I just started leaving myself reminders in the names of the planets, N for new, U for upgrading, so I could tell without clicking if a planet building nothing was worth clicking on. Then I started dropping growing pops on empty tiles to get a reminder to build buildings on new planets when the pop grew. Maybe I described it in a way that made it sound like more busywork than it is, it's literally just those two things and it reduces the busywork rather than increasing it.

But at the same time, it's so trivial that it's not particularly hard then to just manage each colony directly. After all if you're not at war it's not like there's much else to do.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If the Rogue Servitors weren't described as being so nice having the cleared out pops converted into army units would have been a good way to get rid of them without just fluffing them away.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How do Rogue Servitors interact with primitive civs?

I feel like invasion to protect them from themselves should definitely be an option.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

How do Rogue Servitors interact with primitive civs?

I feel like invasion to protect them from themselves should definitely be an option.

Can invade, enlighten or infiltrate as normal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

"Ah, my identity has been exposed. Let me explain. We are here to make you very, very comfortable."

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

:c00l:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

This is coming. Not in 1.8, though.
Wiz I am going to relay to you a unity problem I have. I'm not expecting an answer but I just want to get it out there.

Since several of the unity buildings unlock quite late in the game, if I want to maximise my unity I'm stuck with the options of either not sectoring anything until after I've unlocked all the unity buildings, sectoring things earlier but having to spend influence desectoring them after a new unlock, or turning on redevelopment and crossing my fingers. Not only that, but sometimes planets don't have the resource layout needed to be able to put down all the available unity buildings while also respecting tile resources. This is fine if I'm doing it manually, but if they've already been sectored and filled then the sector AI can't build them unless I enable redevelopment AND turn off respect tile resources. Which is just crazy talk.

Thanks for reading!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 4, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Wiz I am going to relay to you a unity problem I have. I'm not expecting an answer but I just want to get it out there.

Since several of the unity buildings unlock quite late in the game, if I want to maximise my unity I'm stuck with the options of either not sectoring anything until after I've unlocked all the unity buildings, sectoring things earlier but having to spend influence desectoring them after a new unlock, or turning on redevelopment and crossing my fingers. Not only that, but sometimes planets don't have the resource layout needed to be able to put down all the available unity buildings while also respecting tile resources. This is fine if I'm doing it manually, but if they've already been sectored and filled then the sector AI can't build them unless I enable redevelopment AND turn off respect tile resources. Which is just crazy talk.

Thanks for reading!

You can manually tweak sector planets in 1.8 without having to burn influence, the sector AI also focuses more on Unity in general.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

You can manually tweak sector planets in 1.8 without having to burn influence, the sector AI also focuses more on Unity in general.
:woop: cool beans!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cythereal posted:

I must admit I'm curious why the materialist portraits are wearing stolen Cerberus outfits complete with the logo.

It's a compilation mod of various human portrait packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Since we're getting so many cool new species treatment options, how about a "Conscription" purge type or even converting Battle-Thralls into a Purge slavery option. Like eating pops to death but instead of food you get army units while the pop is slowly destroyed.

• Locked thread