Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hot take: the pop/tile system is bad and should probably go away sooner than later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Having played for a similarly significant amount of time I've decided that what I want is CK2 in space, basically. Sectors are intended to remove micromanagement, but since there's not a huge overwhelming amount of things to do in this game, I find the micromanagement entirely bearable, especially when the behaviours of sectors is suboptimal and I can't rely on them to run the way I want. But I wouldn't mind all that if sectors had interesting gameplay (and in a game like this a "story" is part of the gameplay) which came out of it. I don't mind the demesne limit in CK2 because it generates interesting outcomes.

The best way for that to happen is a stronger character focus. Sectors should elect governors in Democracies and Oligarchies, be inherited in Imperial states, and be appointable only in Dictatorships. Characters should have ethics which influence their interactions with the state and their sector, pushing for things like lower taxes, a large garrisoned army to reduce unrest, a wormhole station in every inhabited system in the sector, a hydroponic-focused habitat to alleviate food poverty, etc etc.

Or If my president is from the Egalitarian faction, I'd like events where we campaign to elect the egalitarian candidate for governor in the Delphic Sector, or maybe I'm pushing to get Authoritarian governors elected because I want to change the authority level to Imperial without triggering a massive civil war. And maybe when I do it too early some fanatic egalitarian governors form an alliance and spark a civil war anyway seeking to reimpose democracy or split away.

Right now Governors aren't actual characters, they're stickers I can barely afford, which I can stick on a sector to make it marginally better. That's boring.

and then convert pops to vicky pops

not being ironic here at all

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Confession: I use sticky notes to help me keep track of how many ships of each type I need per fleet

kill me

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Population being represented by some numbers and percentages is pretty horrible and uninteresting.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bholder posted:

Population being represented by some numbers and percentages is pretty horrible and uninteresting.

correct

it's a good thing that's not all the vicky pop system is

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vicky pops is what I was hoping for from the start. It'd be real cool if they picked up a hint from Stars in Shadow and used the same system to make pops prefer various biomes so you can fit a wide variety of species onto temperate worlds.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Reveilled posted:

My general strategy is to just build worlds with single focuses, production, energy, whatever. When I colonise a planet I give it a name in the format "[N] {name}" with the N here marking the planet as new, drop the growing pop on an blank tile, that way the unemployment warning will notify me when the pop has grown. When the notification appears, clicking it takes me straight to the planet, and I can drop my new pop on a different tile and build a relevant building, placing the new, growing pop on the blank tile to set it up again. When the pops are all grown and there's a building on every world, I rename it from "[N] {name}" to "[U] {name}". That way I can glance over at the outliner, and any planet marked with the U which doesn't have the bar for surface construction needs more upgrades building. Fully upgraded planets then get the U removed so I know I can now ignore them.

makes the busywork of pop management trivial in my experience, and I can easily manage 50 worlds with that strategy.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is the kinda poo poo I do at work, for a job that I get paid for

Yo we found you a career, Reveilled.

EDIT: While I don't have any major issues with the tile system as is since the clicking doesn't bother me quite as much as it seems to bother others in here, I'm also not gonna defend it over much myself. Going straight over to a SotS-style "numbers on a window and that's it" is a terrible idea though, because Stellaris doesn't have SotS combat depth and it's diplomacy game isn't quite up to the task of making the game more than cookie clicker either. Something similar to Stars in Shadow would be a good start, but you still want some depth otherwise the game continues to be boring, but now it's because you actually have nothing to do versus having too much management.

So the only reason I don't complain about the tile system with everyone else is because I can't think of a good replacement and think it's at least better than the alternatives given what kind of game Stellaris is, basically.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 4, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't want to stop what I'm doing to check on a planet to see if the pop is done growing and if the building is done building so that I can now put the right pop on the right building, oh wait this pop joined a faction and the output is lovely which means there's more shuffling to do, and in the end, I get to go back to whatever I was doing originally

x 500+ times per playthrough

Good news, hiveminds/rogue AIs can't have factions!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The entirety of this game's early game hangs on clicking poo poo on planets and systems. Removing pop micro would pretty much remove the early game, and later on when poo poo becomes too much, you can just sector everything, except a few built up planets for easy spaceport access. Hell, I'd sector *everything*, if there was still an easy way to access many spaceports while them being in sectors.

I honestly don't see the problem.

Then again, my outliner in my current game looks like https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_08_04_1.png maybe I'm the problem.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sectors are an interesting area that I'd like to see them do more with. I do want this game to be CK2 in space. Plus my core worlds should be able to be a sector, so I can all it the Core Worlds or Throne Worlds or Own Zone or something.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ya please make the auto-build checkbox just deduct the resources when it's time to build a pop and not take hundreds/thousands of resources in order to reduce the micro. Earlier you are heavily constrained by resources and also doing a lot of colonization so this will suck rear end for robot civs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ya please make the auto-build checkbox just deduct the resources when it's time to build a pop and not take hundreds/thousands of resources in order to reduce the micro. Earlier you are heavily constrained by resources and also doing a lot of colonization so this will suck rear end for robot civs.

Pretend I empty quoted this forever.

This is how build queues should have worked from the start anyhow.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Truga posted:

The entirety of this game's early game hangs on clicking poo poo on planets and systems. Removing pop micro would pretty much remove the early game, and later on when poo poo becomes too much, you can just sector everything, except a few built up planets for easy spaceport access. Hell, I'd sector *everything*, if there was still an easy way to access many spaceports while them being in sectors.

Then again, my outliner in my current game looks like https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_08_04_1.png maybe I'm the problem.

I think the problem with the early game is that it's boring and add busywork doesn't change that. Basic start should be 3-4 core worlds plus a sector. Another bold step towards being less like the thousands of lovely space 4x games and more like an awesome Paradox grand strategy.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 4, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The issue with this is if you've queued up a bunch of things on a bunch of planets and demand outstrips your supply, your stockpiled resources will continually fluctuate between 0 and "cheapest thing that's top of a planet's queue". If you decide you want to build a space station you'll have to wait for everything else to finish building or turn off all your queues. Having separate queue vs manual silos like Fintilgin said would be one way to solve that though, and could be set up as a kind of pseudo sector in the sectors screen using the existing 75%/50%/25% buttons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bug Squash posted:

Hot take - scrap the early game, it's boring. Basic start should be 3-4 core worlds plus a sector. Another bold step towards being less like the thousands of lovely space 4x games and more like an awesome Paradox grand strategy.

Hot take - I'm super uninterested in a paradox grand strategy game, which is why I bought a lovely space 4x game. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Truga posted:

There's no smooth transition from early game to late game though. There's no middle ground between micro-heavy babysitting and "gently caress, let the ai handle it". Especially since the AI lacks such functions as "I don't trust you enough to turn on redevelopment but I do want you to build these just-unlocked paradise domes" and "I'm serious stop moving guys off my unity generators".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't want to say that the game should always have been modeled after Emperor of the Fading Suns, but.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bug Squash posted:

Hot take - scrap the early game, it's boring. Basic start should be 3-4 core worlds plus a sector. Another bold step towards being less like the thousands of lovely space 4x games and more like an awesome Paradox grand strategy.

Cold take - no.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wiz posted:

Cold take - no.

Hot take - keep doing what you're doing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Korgan posted:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Korgan posted:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hot cold take. please make ground combat better. :shobon:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

But also include the Roblorg as an inbuilt race in Synthetic Dawn?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok, me being an rear end in a top hat aside, I do think the early game is a little lacking especially for veterans and it's not something I see an easy fix for in engine.

Storywise - the robots are looking very entertaining.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Tbh the early game mineral crunch is where most of your hardest choices lie. I'd much rather the rest of the game had a similar feel of running against a punishing resource curve.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Tbh the early game mineral crunch is where most of your hardest choices lie. I'd much rather the rest of the game had a similar feel of running against a punishing resource curve.
Yes this. I like the start (except for having to micro my exploration and the way anomaly scanning scales). Though I would like the option to mix it up a little sometimes and play as an advanced start empire.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So how will ascension paths work with the new robot starts? The synth path wouldn't doesn't do much for them since they're all already robots, and they're also incompatible with the psionic and biological paths. Will they get a new one or do they just not need one?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I'm still playing V and I love the way I can design everything. I especially love how I can design my own space shipyards. Or even mobile shipyards. Which then can build more shipyards in hard-to-reach places like in the middle of an asteroid field at the edge of a system. SEV also wins for the incredible customization you can do with races. I have spend countless hours coming up with new species, their histories and their biology. (Or "biology" for the crystalline and mechanoid folks I made up)

That game was nuts.

This is pretty much how I play SE IV, research ship hulls big enough to carry construction yards, then send them out to build construction yard stations near key locations, which can then build all the defenses and other stuff there. It's good.

Quantum Milkman posted:

I didn't play much of V, but for sure the ship designer in Space Empires IV was amazing. Every game that has a ship designer should be that good.

The Space Empires IV designer is really good. I rather liked the Inner Hull, Outer Hull and Armor layers in the Space Empires III designer, but IV is better for pretty much anything else. Also, the supply mechanic makes for some interesting limitations early/mid game, while making diplomacy for the purpose of refueling somewhat useful.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Automated Posting posted:

So how will ascension paths work with the new robot starts? The synth path wouldn't doesn't do much for them since they're all already robots, and they're also incompatible with the psionic and biological paths. Will they get a new one or do they just not need one?

Psionic robots :thunk:?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Asimov has established psychic robots in the cannon
:goonsay:

Edit: also spiritualist robots in Reason. Actually I'm excited now for a psychic robot pope.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 4, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Splicer posted:

The issue with this is if you've queued up a bunch of things on a bunch of planets and demand outstrips your supply, your stockpiled resources will continually fluctuate between 0 and "cheapest thing that's top of a planet's queue". If you decide you want to build a space station you'll have to wait for everything else to finish building or turn off all your queues. Having separate queue vs manual silos like Fintilgin said would be one way to solve that though, and could be set up as a kind of pseudo sector in the sectors screen using the existing 75%/50%/25% buttons.

The core system limit already caps the number of different queues you can have running at once - and if a player can't figure out that "I tell things to build things, so I won't accumulate minerals" he's got bigger problems. Never cripple a UI because some people might be too dumb to use it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New lebensraum policy tweet:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/893432724446482432

This is sensible, as many of the changes in the patch are about moving a primary species to a slave planet for optimisation purposes. However, it does mean - for robots - you're going to need to manually build pops on your core planets throughout the game. Just give us growing robots already.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

If you swap the number of planets with the number of habitats, you pretty much get how my outliner looks like (except I put fleets at the top), so it seems normal.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Good old Giskard

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wiz posted:

Cold take - no.

Hot take - Give us the release date Wiz. The public deserves to know! :argh:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aethernet posted:

New lebensraum policy tweet:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/893432724446482432

This is sensible, as many of the changes in the patch are about moving a primary species to a slave planet for optimisation purposes. However, it does mean - for robots - you're going to need to manually build pops on your core planets throughout the game. Just give us growing robots already.
A mod could easily add a policy that handles it. Once per month, for each planet, if stockpiles are > X, and no robot pops are building, build a robot. Maybe add a 'On a free mine/farm' option. Shouldn't be too messy- maybe one 5-option policy? 500/mine, 500/any, 2000/mine, 2000/any, off.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

It would probably be better if the robot pops grew and slowly ate minerals/energy every month that there is surplus available similar to how regular pops grow. Then you wouldn't get the effect where money is vanishing whenever it goes over 50, confusing the now angry idiot who queued a thousand robot pops while also not forcing you to throw resources at the micro problem stupidly.

It shouldn't be hard to simply break the cost up over the number of turns it takes a robot to grow.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Having to pay all the costs up front is one of the worst mistakes strategy games can ever make. You really mean that a society with FTL travel can't even start laying the foundation for that new energy plant until everything including the couch for the break room is piled up next to the site?

Streaming economies/taking a tiny bit of resources every day and filling up a progress bar would both make so much more sense and be so much easier on players. Might be way harder to calculate and gently caress performance, though, I Am Not A Game Dev.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Do refugees actually exist? Like when I convert a conquered species into nuggs are any ever actually getting away? I never saw refugees while playing as a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do refugees actually exist? Like when I convert a conquered species into nuggs are any ever actually getting away? I never saw refugees while playing as a good guy.

They're pretty rare in 1.6/1.7, also have some bugs that make them rarer. Being a Xenophile refugee haven is a much stronger strategy in 1.8.

• Locked thread