Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol forever at internet sadbrains who 'ironically' adopt nazi tenets to stick it to the normies then whine when it turns out this makes them more unpopular and nobody recognizes their juvenile edgelord genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

rkajdi posted:

reasonable society.

What make you so certain this is correct?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

SteelMentor posted:

Hmm you're right, next time I see some Nazi gently caress telling me I should be marched to a gas chamber as he tries to kick my head in I'll ask him how he feels.

You're a pathetic sealion IFM.

I'm more of a depressed walrus tbh

I would like the BNP/NF/National Action not to march in our streets if it meant Antifa didnt roam the streets of provincial town centres turning them into a real Streets of Rage causing property damage and costing the taxpayer money to host these events

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rumda posted:

Because it's pretty obvious that the small government style doesn't work for anyone outside the majority of a society. A strong state is required to protect minorities, and libertarianism is directly in opposition to this.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rumda posted:

Reasonable society is anyone left of Marx didnt you know?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

Because it's pretty obvious that the small government style doesn't work for anyone outside the majority of a society. A strong state judicial and police system is required to protect minorities, and libertarianism is directly in opposition to this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Because it's pretty obvious that the small government style doesn't work for anyone outside the majority of a society. A strong state is required to protect minorities, and libertarianism is directly in opposition to this.

I mean you seem to be taking it as a given that society is built on domination of other people and that the only way to make it work is to dominate the people who want to dominate minorities even harder.

Which is... a lot of work to justify the initial assumption and suggests that you're not very familiar with anarchism at all.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I'm more of a depressed walrus tbh

Antifa didnt roam the streets of provincial town centres turning them into a real Streets of Rage causing property damage and costing the taxpayer money to host these events

lol. This has literally never happened. Tell you what happens though, Nazi types endorsed by your sempai Carl the Sad coming to town every other week to get pissed and scream at anyone a shade darker than Mayo, wasting precious tax money before they disperse and try to find someone to kick the poo poo out of.

gently caress off.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

rkajdi posted:

No. I just don't see libertarianism (especially unrestrained "free speech" as practiced on the internet) as a smart position regardless of political leaning. Large powerful states are the only way to get things done.

Agreed, now get in the loving gulag

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

lol. This has literally never happened. Tell you what happens though, Nazi types endorsed by your sempai Carl the Sad coming to town every other week to get pissed and scream at anyone a shade darker than Mayo, wasting precious tax money before they disperse and try to find someone to kick the poo poo out of.

gently caress off.

Now that's not fair, sometimes they see the counterprotestors and go and hide behind a wall of coppers and a roller shutter.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

rkajdi posted:

No that society is or even can be reasonable.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

OwlFancier posted:

Now that's not fair, sometimes they see the counterprotestors and go and hide behind a wall of coppers and a roller shutter.

You forgot fighting amongst themselves after hiding behind the pigs, important part of any anti-Sharia/Muslamic/Browns protest.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

SteelMentor posted:

gently caress off.

Except for when it does

Both the neo-nazis and Antifa should both gently caress off turning the streets into a warzone you moron just to stop town centres being turned into extreme ideologue battle royals

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

To be fair it was a train station storage locker shop

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 4, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SteelMentor posted:

You forgot fighting amongst themselves after hiding behind the pigs, important part of any anti-Sharia/Muslamic/Browns protest.
"You're the nazis that love Israel because they kill Muslims? Get hosed, we hate them because they're Jews!" "No gently caress you mate, you're one of the nazis that loves Europe because it's white, we're the nazis that hate every country except the one that we've put on our sign!"

They should turn it into a televised sporting event, except it'd only give the fuckers more publicity.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Oh and IFM I don't know why you seem so seas set at painting me with a tabloid-esqe commie brush when you've posted more in the marx-corbynism UKMT thread than I have is it just because I called you out for your idiotic faux-factoids in the funny picture thread.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

You know when you have to resort to violence to further your political goals in an (mostly)open democracy maybe you might want to reconsider your position

I agree, we should disband the CIA.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rumda posted:

Oh and IFM I don't know why you seem so seas set at painting me with a tabloid-esqe commie brush when you've posted more in the marx-corbynism UKMT thread than I have is it just because I called you out for your idiotic faux-factoids in the funny picture thread.

The facts are there to fill wordspace since Sa's in house image hosting needs text before posting an image so I decided to post something remotely interesting

I like the fact you probably had to go check the poster count on UKMT before making this comment

Maybe you should lighten up or realize I was going to post that PYF pic in UKMT but decided not to since they get testy when I post bollocks so I posted it somewhere more suitable

Just lmao at getting this salty

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I agree, we should disband the CIA.

They seem like a big organisation, You would need to raise a big amount of political firepower to dismantle that band of brothers. The CIA are a bane on the body politic of American Life. They seem to mask alot of truth from the American people and we should help unmask the truth even if its extremely painful and means making people talk who dont want to talk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They seem like a big organisation, You would need to raise a big amount of political firepower to dismantle that band of brothers. The CIA are a bane on the body politic of American Life. They seem to mask alot of truth from the American people and we should help unmask the truth even if its extremely painful and means making people talk who dont want to talk.

I got about halfway through that before the deus ex music in my head overcame my internal reading voice.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you seem to be taking it as a given that society is built on domination of other people and that the only way to make it work is to dominate the people who want to dominate minorities even harder.

Or not trusting that handing the ability of the same people to gently caress you over as soon as you win some rights from them. Christ, it's like we're watching it happen in real time as we speak in the US. I for one don't like the idea of getting stabbed the first time middle America get scared that lily white losers aren't the center of the world anymore. And the way you stop that is to use the state to protect minorities. In other words, civil rights backed up enough that the racists and homophobes don't get the ability to swing back again.

Also, I looked up a bunch of stuff on anarchism after the last time we talked. Everything I saw showed that it's just great at making white worker's paradises, and like all populism has an awful track record at actually doing stuff for minorities. Plus, with a weaker state, there isn't a lot to protect a more developed state from coming in and ruining your poo poo. It's roughly analogous to the King rear end in a top hat problem of right libertarianism. The only way to protect yourself externally is to have a powerful state, i.e. one at least capable of waging war against invaders and handing out justice.

Praseodymi posted:

Agreed, now get in the loving gulag

Yes, because anything other than the internet's unrestricted speech (i.e. some chud can say anything, but the second you say or do anything with regards to it, it's oppression) is obviously Stalinism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Entirely fine. Political party is not a protected class, not should it be. You get to have free speech, but so does the platform you are interacting with. As a note, I'm entirely fine with IGD getting hosed over as well-- anarchists and other similar types aren't needed in reasonable society.

There should be limits to this, though. If a platform is more or less ubiquitous and doesn't have any fully equal alternatives (Facebook is a good example), I think that this sort of thing should be less allowed.

I mean, taken to its extreme conclusion, what you said could be extended to stuff like private businesses banning black customers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Or not trusting that handing the ability of the same people to gently caress you over as soon as you win some rights from them. Christ, it's like we're watching it happen in real time as we speak in the US. I for one don't like the idea of getting stabbed the first time middle America get scared that lily white losers aren't the center of the world anymore. And the way you stop that is to use the state to protect minorities. In other words, civil rights backed up enough that the racists and homophobes don't get the ability to swing back again.

Also, I looked up a bunch of stuff on anarchism after the last time we talked. Everything I saw showed that it's just great at making white worker's paradises, and like all populism has an awful track record at actually doing stuff for minorities. Plus, with a weaker state, there isn't a lot to protect a more developed state from coming in and ruining your poo poo. It's roughly analogous to the King rear end in a top hat problem of right libertarianism. The only way to protect yourself externally is to have a powerful state, i.e. one at least capable of waging war against invaders and handing out justice.

I mean, I would suggest that in order to make a state proof against both change from within and external threat, you kind of have to have the level of enduring popular motivation and size that would also render an anarchist society immune to both those things as well?

There's nothing stopping bigger states or groups of states from sticking their two penn'orth in with smaller states however empowered they might by by their populace, and the only reason a state is going to protect its minority citizens is because they force it to under threat of violence against the state, or because the majority of the populace thinks it is a good idea.

I don't particularly have a problem with states especially as we already have them and we're going to have to work with them for the forseeable future, but they're still basically just a form of communal organization with a lot of inertia, an inherently conservative form of organization, for good or ill. They don't seem uniquely proof against the problems that face any community.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 4, 2017

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Yes, because anything other than the internet's unrestricted speech (i.e. some chud can say anything, but the second you say or do anything with regards to it, it's oppression) is obviously Stalinism.

I might be a loving tankie bit if your going to try and criticise anarchism you're going to have to do a lot better than this weak poo poo.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You know when you have to resort to violence to further your political goals in an (mostly)open democracy maybe you might want to reconsider your position

You're right gently caress Richard Spencer and all Nazi shitters

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Except for when it does

Going to cite a news story?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd be very interested to hear this story of Antifa indiscriminately smashing up a town like Nazis do, rather than just smashing up the Nazis like all good citizens should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's especially funny because a lot of the time in the UK when the nazis show up the locals all turn out to tell them to gently caress off as well, it's not like it's just imported antifa roaming around.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
no antifa is definitely bad and wrong and they smell bad and they came to my town and they all tripped on the cobblestones and ran away crying and everyone stood up and clapped

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
And that clapper was the entire 3rd Reich (I'm not a Nazi tho seriously guys I just watch Carlgon videos and I'm very worried about the globalis-)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ytlaya posted:

There should be limits to this, though. If a platform is more or less ubiquitous and doesn't have any fully equal alternatives (Facebook is a good example), I think that this sort of thing should be less allowed.

I mean, taken to its extreme conclusion, what you said could be extended to stuff like private businesses banning black customers.

That's why you have civil rights law. Being black is a protected class, but being a racist yokel isn't. And you have to have a powerful state to enforce civil rights law anyway.

Also, how the hell is allowing these guys to continually organize and build up steam until they break through like happened in this last election the right move? the right move is to make sure that racists never even get a chance to build up steam in the first place. You do that by altering society so that people and businesses see supporting racists is a liability and cut ties with them. That's what's happening, and shocker a bunch of useless internet libertarians are crying foul for spurious reasons.

Making a society that doesn't tolerate poo poo like racism is a thing to do. And you use major private institutions to to do so whenever possible, along with all the public ones.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

rkajdi posted:

Looks like Sam Harris is leaving Patreon over fears of being dumped - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvI1JqQgOU&t=69s

Apparently, the Lauren Southern thing has him spooked, which says more about him being a piece of poo poo than anything. Best part is that he's still vulnerable but is too ignorant to see it. He uses credit cards and Paypal to do transfers on his site, and they can just as easily say nope to transactions if he crosses a line with them. It's almost like we live in a world that requires everyone to be dependent on other people in society, and that can be used to force you to conform in the most basic sense.

It's also deeply rich to see someone complaining about free speech being violated by people organizing boycotts and leaning on private organizations. Apparently it only counts as speech if you are saying the transgressive garbage, never if you are responding to it. The whole "the cure to bad speech is more speech" suddenly falls flat as soon as it actually has some level of traction behind it. It's almost like libertarians of both the right and left (lol) persuasion are entirely full of poo poo.

He could switch to Hatreon: https://hatreon.us/featured-creators/

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

boner confessor posted:

actually "dont say nazi poo poo in public" is a hard goal to enforce without the threat of violence, and it is a goal which is fully justified by violence

As detestable as saying "nazi poo poo" in public is, I don't the anti-nazi side should be throwing the first punch.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you don't wanna get punched for spouting hate-speech and being a Nazi, perhaps you shouldn't be a loving Nazi.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

That's why you have civil rights law. Being black is a protected class, but being a racist yokel isn't. And you have to have a powerful state to enforce civil rights law anyway.
How do you get a state that wants to do that? Because mostly states did not want to do that until there was significant pressure and violence from below. Often with an anti-state angle to it if they were doing so against an explicitly racist state.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

As detestable as saying "nazi poo poo" in public is, I don't the anti-nazi side should be throwing the first punch.

Indeed, if there's one thing we know from history, it's that letting them do what they want for a while before acting is the best strategy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

There is such thing as fighting words. And nazism is a ideology that demands violence

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
"What do you mean I can't go and advocate genocide of the inferior races without being punched, my freedom of speech!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Also, how the hell is allowing these guys to continually organize and build up steam until they break through like happened in this last election the right move? the right move is to make sure that racists never even get a chance to build up steam in the first place. You do that by altering society so that people and businesses see supporting racists is a liability and cut ties with them. That's what's happening, and shocker a bunch of useless internet libertarians are crying foul for spurious reasons.

Making a society that doesn't tolerate poo poo like racism is a thing to do. And you use major private institutions to to do so whenever possible, along with all the public ones.

I'm not saying the government should tolerate racism. I'm just saying that the justification shouldn't be "because privately owned platforms have the right to limit the speech people use on them"; it seems like ideally you'd just have the government directly regulate ubiquitous platforms like Facebook, Youtube, etc.

(While this has its own problems, there's no solution that doesn't have its share of issues. Allowing complete freedom of speech carries its own harm, as does giving powerful private entities the freedom to control the speech used on their platforms.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

SteelMentor posted:

I'd be very interested to hear this story of Antifa indiscriminately smashing up a town like Nazis do, rather than just smashing up the Nazis like all good citizens should.

They did damage property when they protested Milo in Berkeley.

• Locked thread