Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reaction gifs are exclusively used by people w/ autism who won't have the social skills necessary to understand what's funny wrong with blackface does this article make that clear

but wait, don't autistic folk often have problems properly reading emotional cues and facial expressions, thus rendering the reaction gifs altogether useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
exactly - they used GIS for the proper images first or can otherwise go by filenames

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

https://twitter.com/slutwalk_la/status/892823259103678464

#thankyoureebok

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Reebok presents the slut walk is seriously a joke out of some science fiction dystopian novel.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Hopefully it turns out like UFC's Reebok sponsorship where anyone caught not wearing Reebok apparel at an event gets fined tens of thousands of dollars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rainbow Chip Quake posted:

Hopefully it turns out like UFC's Reebok sponsorship where anyone caught not wearing Reebok apparel at an event gets fined tens of thousands of dollars.

Joke's on you, from now on every day is Reebok day

Except Wednesday, thats Nike Festival

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
*beep boop* BrandBot Loves The Brand, And Engaging With The Brand

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
replace all voting ballots with the pepsi challenge imo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

'ThankYouReebok' LMFAO hahahahahahaha

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

reebok is strong, and real, and my friend

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Stop using jifs of black people already. It's 2017, why is this still a thing?

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs
teen vogue going woke was a good idea. if they had stayed in their lane, the only place where they could have published this article was buzzfeed. or av club. or slate. or salon. or jezebel. or gizmodo. or the daily beast. or huffpo. or... you get the point

btw this is the best reaction gif out there. replace the missed call alerts with something else, the possibilities are endless

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
thank u, reebok, for helping me slutwalk in comfort

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What even is slut walk?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Peanut President posted:

What even is slut walk?

Sponsored by Reebok, that's all i know

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peanut President posted:

What even is slut walk?

An opportunity to be wild and transgressive (as long as you follow the norms of a strictly moderated, policed and vetted environment designed to conform with middle aged suburbanites' ideas of raunchy fun).

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Stop using jifs of black people already. It's 2017, why is this still a thing?

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs

The greatest thing about this article is how nine times out of ten the person using a "blackface" reaction gif is gonna be a centrist liberal who loves stuff like Woke Teen Vogue
so maybe the article is actually good :shrug:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

What even is slut walk?

Originally it was a protest against people who would slut shame victims of sexual assault. I attended one a few years ago, instead of Reebok sponsorship we had a drunk guy screaming at us that women should stop leading people on.

Every day we drift further from God's light.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

The greatest thing about this article is how nine times out of ten the person using a "blackface" reaction gif is gonna be a centrist liberal who loves stuff like Woke Teen Vogue
so maybe the article is actually good :shrug:
stop encouraging teen vogue to be terrible

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
a #resistance favorite is suppressing its employees from unionizing

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/893543338573475840

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LinYutang posted:

guys guys we need to #resist

no, no, not like that

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Speaking of, did Vice Union ever happen

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LinYutang posted:

This owns.

Good for them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i remember when gawker pushed to unionize, one of idiotic staff members said no and their reason was "gently caress unions." they did manage to unionize but not before management made a round of layoffs before both parties signed a CBA

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

projecthalaxy posted:

Sponsored by Reebok, that's all i know

since when does reebok make slut heels??

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

DC's LEGENDS OF TOMORROW's New Muslim Superhero A Response To TRUMP

DC Comics superhero Isis will be joining DC's Legends of Tomorrow in its upcoming third season under her real name of Zari Adrianna Tomaz (played by Tala Ashe), and the fact that the character is a practicing Muslim is a choice show producer Marc Guggenheim said was made specifically in response to the election of U.S. President Donald Trump.

“You might have heard there was this election,” said Guggenheim during this week's Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills (as quoted by Variety). “Not to get political, but something that we all gravitated toward in the writers room was making this character Muslim.”

“Representation is a really powerful thing,” added Ashe. “When I was growing up watching television, I didn’t see anyone who looked like me. When I think of the kid version of myself, I think it broadens your perspective. What I think is so lovely about this show is that the Legends are this tapestry that represent America today.”

According to Variety, Guggenheim said that DC's Legends of Tomorrow doesn't look to define a character by their race, religion, or sexual orientation but did so in this case following the election, in part due to the experiences of a family member who is Muslim.

“She was talking about how difficult it is to be a Muslim-American in the current political climate," said Guggenheim. "Having a character who’s a computer hacker and is from the future but also happens to be Muslim, it’s a nice, important aspect of her character.”

Guggenheim said that the usage of DC Comics' Isis was also done add more women to the cast.

“There weren’t enough women quite frankly,” he said. “It’s something we were looking to address.”

DC's Legends of Tomorrow is scheduled to return for its third season October 10 on the CW.

https://www.newsarama.com/35788-dc-s-legends-of-tomorrow-s-new-muslim-superhero-a-response-to-trump.html

If you want to know irony...guess what this character is actually known as..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis_(DC_Comics)

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I'm training up for a slutrun

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

use her hero name you cowards

anyways ISIS was the first woman superhero to have a tv show

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

woke entertainment will never die for two reasons:

1. critics love it to an absurdly universal degree, and nobody in those positions is saying that it's hamfisted
2. it makes political tastemakers feel good about themselves for liking what's "cool" without having to change anything about their views

it's all one big circlejerk between politicos, critics, and entertainers, and they all feel good about it. why stop when there's no motivation to do so?

i saw an ad on the subway for the new season of Broad City. while i'm holding out hope that it won't turn out to be completely sanctimonious, in all likelihood it will be. doesn't matter that the first three seasons of the show weren't like that at all, times are different and entertainment needs to be important now more than ever

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

1. critics love it to an absurdly universal degree, and nobody in those positions is saying that it's hamfisted
2. it makes political tastemakers feel good about themselves for liking what's "cool" without having to change anything about their views

it's all one big circlejerk between politicos, critics, and entertainers, and they all feel good about it. why stop when there's no motivation to do so?

i saw an ad on the subway for the new season of Broad City. while i'm holding out hope that it won't turn out to be completely sanctimonious, in all likelihood it will be. doesn't matter that the first three seasons of the show weren't like that at all, times are different and entertainment needs to be important now more than ever

The public as a whole seems to be growing tired of it. You know I've not watched a minute of Colbert, SNL, The Daily Show...whatever since the election? You can almost telegraph their punchlines from a mile away so why bother. As Sam Bee has said ? They write for themselves, not for what they think would be insightful or what people would find actually funny.

The same can be repeated for every medium. I'm a sports fan. I'm on the left. I am for complete reform of the justice system, ending the drug war, etc. Yet this Colin Kaepernick debate which has stretched on for...what..2 loving years? Has bored me to death. I can't blame anyone for being sick of that topic because, like them? I want to watch sports as a form of escape. Mind you, it's not Kaepernick himself that I have a problem with. He's an American. That's his right, and I don't disagree with his overall points. But it's the constant circle jerking between the media members who keep pushing this story that drives me nuts.

We're reaching a saturation point, and I think people will eventually start turning to media that doesn't constantly try to do this stuff.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Media and entertainment always has a politics to it, the thing about the "wokeness" permeating it just now is that it's a superficial and bolted-on accessory that doesn't actually have anything to do with, or even diametrically opposes, the underlying politics of the text itself.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

if this results in Warner Bros/DC making a tv show where citizens happily look up to the sky and shout stuff like 'Thank you, ISIS' 'We'll be okay, ISIS is coming!' 'ISIS be praised!' etc. it will totally be worth it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Media and entertainment always has a politics to it, the thing about the "wokeness" permeating it just now is that it's a superficial and bolted-on accessory that doesn't actually have anything to do with, or even diametrically opposes, the underlying politics of the text itself.

It seems to remind me of contemporary christian media.

There's probably quite a few pieces of media inspired by one's faith and some of the themes associated with it (Forgiveness, Charity, Pacifism), but the stuff that I hear on Christian radio often feels hamfisted, fake, etc.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

if this results in Warner Bros/DC making a tv show where citizens happily look up to the sky and shout stuff like 'Thank you, ISIS' 'We'll be okay, ISIS is coming!' 'ISIS be praised!' etc. it will totally be worth it

The idea of that is comical.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's probably quite a few pieces of media inspired by one's faith and some of the themes associated with it (Forgiveness, Charity, Pacifism), but the stuff that I hear on Christian radio often feels hamfisted, fake, etc.

Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same kind of by-the-numbers piety wrapped around very conventional fare.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

Terror Sweat posted:

that's interesting, the isis show started in '75, same year as Wonder Woman

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wow that terrible. see marvel at least did it right with Kamala Khan, a Muslim girl who is a actual character. this just feels dumb.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The_Rob posted:

Reebok presents the slut walk is seriously a joke out of some science fiction dystopian novel.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

FuzzySkinner posted:

in this case the problem is just that they're the same people who have successfully made western comics a niche hobby for ~20-40 year old men whose cultural impact comes largely from licensing old properties to artists in other mediums

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

The public as a whole seems to be growing tired of it.
that's true, but much like the political system, it doesn't matter what we think. if media conglomerates, pop culture performers and writers, and critics all think that sanctimonious crap is a good development, then they'll keep making it. and even when the ratings start to go down, they'll still be slow to adjust

the next phase of pop culture probably won't view the words people say as the ultimate litmus test of whether they're a good person. don rickles was an incredibly kind and caring person in spite of his provocative comedy act. his comedy wouldn't cut it today, but in a few years it should

FuzzySkinner posted:

The same can be repeated for every medium. I'm a sports fan. I'm on the left. I am for complete reform of the justice system, ending the drug war, etc. Yet this Colin Kaepernick debate which has stretched on for...what..2 loving years? Has bored me to death. I can't blame anyone for being sick of that topic because, like them? I want to watch sports as a form of escape. Mind you, it's not Kaepernick himself that I have a problem with. He's an American. That's his right, and I don't disagree with his overall points. But it's the constant circle jerking between the media members who keep pushing this story that drives me nuts.

We're reaching a saturation point, and I think people will eventually start turning to media that doesn't constantly try to do this stuff.
this is exactly why i don't bother with SB Nation anymore. around this time last year, they really leaned in to the "sports as a vector for serious debate" angle with kaepernick. they even wrote the same article about how protests are supposed to make people uncomfortable, except they did it with three different sports (football, baseball, and soccer). before that, it was a fun place to read about sports, talk about sports, and not have to worry about seeing Topic Of The Moment articles. they used to not bother with poo poo like LaVar Ball, now there are multiple articles about him. the most enjoyable team blogs there are ones where political chat is explicitly listed as a taboo topic. and don't get me started with Deadspin under Tommy Craggs

the problem with turning to non-preachy media is that the options continue to dwindle even as people are getting sick of it (refer to the first part of my post). when it comes to sports, ESPN isn't an escape from agenda-driven reporting, nor is Barstool. i honestly can't think of any other website or network that is

the goon who compared this to evangelical christian entertainment is spot-on btw

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

the next phase of pop culture probably won't view the words people say as the ultimate litmus test of whether they're a good person. don rickles was an incredibly kind and caring person in spite of his provocative comedy act. his comedy wouldn't cut it today, but in a few years it should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIuPSuYSOY

There was a debate between Patrice O'Neal and some woke feminist lawyer on this topic.

Patrice came across as hilarious, intelligent, and sincere. The woman came across as pearl clutching, stuck up and lame. It's really depressing that the female lawyer in that clip short term won that particular culture war. She was sadly correct on the whole "group of people waking up" point.

this is exactly why i don't bother with SB Nation anymore. around this time last year, they really leaned in to the "sports as a vector for serious debate" angle with kaepernick. they even wrote the same article about how protests are supposed to make people uncomfortable, except they did it with three different sports (football, baseball, and soccer)

Sports and politics have always been joined at the hip. The breathless coverage of this particular issue got loving old though. It reminded me of evangelicals and their hard on for the Tebow issue.

the goon who compared this to evangelical christian entertainment is spot-on btw

It's just that same overall vibe. From their penchant of censorship to their hamfisted media. It's all bad.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Last night I was bored and decided I might as well watch Broad City to see what the fuss is about. It happened to be the Hillary episode and I am still shaking. That is my Broad City story

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 03:21 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
i mean, if interpreted as 'diverse representation in media is just like christian entertainment' then i'd have to be pretty harsh on this argument

but the point of diversity isn't to help marketing departments pitch progress as a way for customers to feel good about themselves for buying the 'right brand', and that being what it's become is what you're getting at with that analogy

actual progress is just everyone seeing heroes and even villains who share their identity in our common culture, without those identities defining them or being a signifier to attract a segment of affluent consumers who are willing to spend money to self-identify as 'progressive'