Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Blind Duke posted:

I still cannot figure out how grapple tricks work. I watch the videos and try out the simpler ones like the basic flat terrain speed boost, but the slingshot over a building at a million miles an hour high in the sky evades me. People in videos appear to grapple into things in half a second, where mine takes like, three

I think I need a video that focuses less on what to do and more on what not to do. I know I gotta be careful to not crouch during the process, but beyond that I'm at a loss.

I've been linked this video awhile back and it seemed pretty decent at explaining how to do those cool grapple tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9WF_xXLgc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Any suggestions for the Monarch upgrades (or whatever they are called) for FD? I never really played it before, but it seems very, very strong in that mode. Hopefully Scorch will forgive me for cheating on it....

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Wondering the same, actually.

Also, once you've gotten your tier there upgrades, I assume subsequent cores just refill your shield?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Whichever upgrade lets you heal other titans, and not the guided missile tier 3 upgrades. Other than that go with whatever.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also, once you've gotten your tier there upgrades, I assume subsequent cores just refill your shield?

Correct.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Stealth eject on monarch since I've built another titan before falling to the ground with thunderball and hover. It was hilarious that my new titan crushed the remaining three nuke ones and I was just going out of stealth.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Any suggestions for the Monarch upgrades (or whatever they are called) for FD? I never really played it before, but it seems very, very strong in that mode. Hopefully Scorch will forgive me for cheating on it....
Tier 1: Energy Transfer
Tier 2: Maelstrom
Tier 3: either Accelerator or Superior Chassis
Kit 1: double smoke
Kit 2: Energy Thief

The reasons for this loadout are simple: Energy Transfer allows you to keep a titan stuck trying to slow down/kill enemies alive longer, Energy Thief keeps your Monarch alive both by being able to get constant battery repairs and faster Core charge, Multi-Track Missiles suck and Maelstrom smoke is insanely strong allowing you to hold down chokepoints potentially better than a Scorch would but that requires having as many charges of electric smoke as possible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I never find a reason to get up close to a titan with Monarch until the point I extract their battery therefore Maelstrom is pointless to me. Any grunts or what have you running around are just as easily stomped on or punched into smithereens. It's far better in PVP modes where fuckers are always trying to steal your battery. That said, tier 2 upgrades are a bit poop anyway. The rearm and reload speed is purely the speed at which the animation runs as opposed to enabling you to chain rocket rearms and such so that's crap. The energy field one is only worth taking if you've chosen the first tier upgrade as energy transfer as you can then hit multiple friendly titans at once to charge their shields. Superior Chassis is something you shouldn't need to select as there's so many titans around to leech shields/steal batteries off and you can buy magic batteries to get your health back if you're particularly beat up.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Maelstrom is not for dealing with grunts: it's for being able to deal with a swarm of titans if your teammates aren't on the ball or died and you are forced to hold the line, something that I've found having to do more often than not on the higher difficulties. Also Energy Field has the issue that ideally you should never have friendly titans clustered together enough where they can benefit from it, since it means that they are either being swarmed or are leaving lanes completely open.
The AoE is handy against groups of enemy titans clustered together, but at that point I could just plop a single Maelstrom and have it deal enough damage to take down a nuke Legion from full to a third health alone.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 4, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Energy Transfer is probably the better choice overall but I kinda feel that Arc Rounds are underappreciated due to how fast you can knock down particle walls and Legion/Scorch shields. Take Arc Rounds and the Accelerator and make shooting shields your #1 priority so your DPS titans can do their job better. As a bonus, the extra ammo makes the Accelerator more fun!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Energy Transfer is probably the better choice overall but I kinda feel that Arc Rounds are underappreciated due to how fast you can knock down particle walls and Legion/Scorch shields. Take Arc Rounds and the Accelerator and make shooting shields your #1 priority so your DPS titans can do their job better. As a bonus, the extra ammo makes the Accelerator more fun!
Arc Rounds are indeed fun: I'm always hoping I get them as my Apex unlock whenever I use Monarch.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Titanfall Boss Discusses New Spinoff, Moving On From Titanfall 2, And The Franchise's Future

Oh!

Gamespot asked: posted:

So with Frontier Defense out the door, can we expect to see more Titanfall 2 content like this after the release of the Ultimate Edition?

VZ: Probably not. We want to work on new stuff.

Oh. :smith:

EDIT: I suppose you could take it as we won't see stuff on the same scale as Frontier Defence.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snuffman posted:

Titanfall Boss Discusses New Spinoff, Moving On From Titanfall 2, And The Franchise's Future

Oh!

Oh. :smith:

EDIT: I suppose you could take it as we won't see stuff on the same scale as Frontier Defence.

Devs confirmed we'll see balance patches and playlist stuff, but yeah, FD is probably the last big official content dump.

Excited about the 'soft' confirmation of TF3.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TF3 or whatever comes next is gonna own

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

A 2nd team at Respawn is working on a Star Wars game and I'm pretty psyched for that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ehhhh

I gave up on Star Wars games after like Xbox 1. Republic commando was dope

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

None of those games were made by Respawn.

Respawn getting a crack at a Star Wars game is :homebrew: :shepspends:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Yea you are a storm trooper running around doing poo poo and you build up a meter to get an at-st calldown that you can hop in.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Turrets loving clean up on Homestead, holy poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Turrets loving clean up on Homestead, holy poo poo.

Yuuuuuuup. Right on top of that middle truck.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I can't figure out where to put turrets on Kodai, other than on that tower right in front of the harvester. I keep putting them in spots with line of sight to areas I see infantry running through all day but then they don't kill anything.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yuuuuuuup. Right on top of that middle truck.

I prefer mine on a weird rock a bit in front of the armory.
It's mostly out of LOS so doesn't really get shot at, but in perfect position to catch the drones as they fly in front of and behind the harvester.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

I can't figure out where to put turrets on Kodai, other than on that tower right in front of the harvester. I keep putting them in spots with line of sight to areas I see infantry running through all day but then they don't kill anything.

Stick it in the left corner of that overhang on the underground passage.
Enough coverage to tag the stalkers that come from there and the left, and I think it hits ticks fairly well also.
It's right in the hot zone though, so repairing it in a fight will be an issue.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

The long building on the right hand side of the map (from harvester) isn't awful. You put it against the building facing towards the harvester and it'll gun down the troops and stalkers on the later waves.

I also like putting one on the crates to the left of the harvester in that little storage yard(?). It can see an opening in the wall where stalkers will go rushing through but it isn't in LOF to every titan going past. It's not a great spot though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wazzit posted:

None of those games were made by Respawn.

Respawn getting a crack at a Star Wars game is :homebrew: :shepspends:

Yeah after this I am officially a respawn fanboy and will definitely be buying their star wars game.

Monarch is really fun to play in FD, but I can't get over the feeling of knowing how fast I'd be burning through enemy titans in my Legion. Monarch is much better for nailing infantry and those stupid drones, and I kept my titan alive and firing for 18 minutes one round thanks to superior chassis and the fact that batteries appear to heal a massive amount of your health in this mode. Legion just erases everyone though...

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Questions about the Drill Shot Aegis upgrade for Legion: The description claims that it increases damage when it "penetrates" a target. Does this simply mean "hit", or does it have to go through one target and hit another for it to count towards the damage upgrade? Also, does the damage bonus get reset if your titan dies?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Gunder posted:

Questions about the Drill Shot Aegis upgrade for Legion: The description claims that it increases damage when it "penetrates" a target. Does this simply mean "hit", or does it have to go through one target and hit another for it to count towards the damage upgrade? Also, does the damage bonus get reset if your titan dies?

My understanding is that any long range powershot that passes through one enemy will then do more damage to any subsequent enemy it hits, and will then do even more damage to a potential third enemy, etc. It's not a buff that powers up subsequent shots, but a situational effect applied to individual shots.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

One good spot is on the forward end of the left battlements where there's a gap in the sandbags. It should tag all the grunts before they escape into the smoke. Other good places are on the black "lip" of the edge of the roof both left and right on the end closest to the harvester where it can shoot at things both coming up the sides and on the roof.

Also that map heavily favors one side, left or right, depending on the wave. It's worth moving the turret depending on the wave.

Honestly though turrets aren't that good on that map. There's hardly any plasma drones and all the light units get funneled into some easy kill zones. My friends and I have beat Kodai on Insane at least six times and we don't buy a single turret. Your money is better spent on arc traps and harvester shields.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

runchild posted:

My understanding is that any long range powershot that passes through one enemy will then do more damage to any subsequent enemy it hits, and will then do even more damage to a potential third enemy, etc. It's not a buff that powers up subsequent shots, but a situational effect applied to individual shots.
Yeah it's this; every penetration increases the damage of that shot by 1.5x. So if you're playing something like Blackwater and got say, 4 titans in a line the first will take 2000 damage, the second will take 3000, the third will take 4500 and the fourth will take 6750. Given how the AI likes to walk in a line it's insanely good.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Yeah it's this; every penetration increases the damage of that shot by 1.5x. So if you're playing something like Blackwater and got say, 4 titans in a line the first will take 2000 damage, the second will take 3000, the third will take 4500 and the fourth will take 6750. Given how the AI likes to walk in a line it's insanely good.

Yup. Same reason why anyone not using piercing shot on northstar is a fool. It also lets you shoot through your idiot teammates that are always standing in the way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, you can shoot through your teammates with Northstar? Time to start playing it.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Yeah just play Northstar if you don't know what Titan to pick on any given map. I personally feel that he's the MVP of any Wargames frontier defense (and I am loving sick of that map), and he's also great on Homestead.

I also gave Legion a try focusing on using Short Range mode over Long Range. It felt really good on Homestead, since you can just hang out around the central tower and blast away at stuff until it's time to power-shot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Jumpoff posted:

Yeah just play Northstar if you don't know what Titan to pick on any given map.

That sounds like the worst advice tbh. Like scorch, northstar is pretty map dependent. Granted there aren't many maps they aren't viable on, I wouldn't say all

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Short range legion is dramatically superior on Rise than long range legion.

I haven't actually been able to play legion on any other map because Rise is the only map matchmaking deigns to give me, so ymmv.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Short range legion is dramatically superior on Rise than long range legion.

I haven't actually been able to play legion on any other map because Rise is the only map matchmaking deigns to give me, so ymmv.

Lucky you.
Tried northstar on wargames and we lost the gently caress out of that game.
I'd like to think it was my fault since I wasn't able to clutch the game.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

What difficulty does everyone play FD on? I mostly play regular; I'd like to play hard but every time I try my team ends up being terrible and we can't make it past wave 3 or 4.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Eyud posted:

What difficulty does everyone play FD on? I mostly play regular; I'd like to play hard but every time I try my team ends up being terrible and we can't make it past wave 3 or 4.

Hard generally. If the team is somewhat competent and depending on map it's a 50/50 shot of winning. That's of course including people leaving, etc. Still haven't beat the one above that (veteran?) gotten REALLY close a couple times

regardless of what difficulty I play though I am almost always lowest in points because no one sees fit to zig zag zoom across the map taking out the mortar spectres and titans

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That sounds like the worst advice tbh. Like scorch, northstar is pretty map dependent. Granted there aren't many maps they aren't viable on, I wouldn't say all

I mean that's probably because I play on Regular but the only map I can say as being "bad" for Northstar would probably be Blackwater Canal since there's no decent sightline to shoot down that won't leave you exposed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Wow Ion didnt feel too great at FD, admittedly only rank one vs my rank 10s Scorch and Northstar which didn't help. How are people using Ion on this mode? Grand Cannon feels like a trap, five way splitter seems OK with higher ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Yeah Ion really needs some attention to be viable in Frontier Defense to me. Split shot is nice for mopping up foot enemies but beyond that you're going to get far more assists than kills, which feels kinda lovely on normal and above because hmm dang this laser beam IS cool as heck, but I could also be more useful if I actually killed things instead of chipped away at them to help my buddies.