Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Not gonna lie I completely forgot Kurapika is in the zodiacs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bill please stay safe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Bill please stay safe

Quoting to add my prayers for bill. 98% of teens wont put this in their sig to show they still care about Bill.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Speed scan translation has kurapika saying "its impossible" to learn nen in a short period of time while MS has kurapika saying "its possible"....

:confused:

Oh well, I guess it makes sense either way depending on how you define a "short period" of time. It just leaves me wondering what the actual Japanese dialog is.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

"It may or may not be possible."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being able to perceive nen is enough to defend yourself somewhat, yeah.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Babamaina has a bigger 'En' than Nobunaga

who doesn't lmao

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Not gonna lie I completely forgot Kurapika is in the zodiacs now.
Yeah same, drat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BattleHamster posted:

Speed scan translation has kurapika saying "its impossible" to learn nen in a short period of time while MS has kurapika saying "its possible"....

:confused:

Oh well, I guess it makes sense either way depending on how you define a "short period" of time. It just leaves me wondering what the actual Japanese dialog is.

Gon and Killua learned it in a short period of time so MS is probably correct.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is possible, but not guaranteed which is probably where the ambiguity comes from.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, Tserriednich figured it Nen out despite Theta trying to bullshit him about it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Could Hisoka beat any of the Royal guard 1v1?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Could Hisoka beat any of the Royal guard 1v1?

No way. Youpi and Pitou are too durable, and Pouf is better than Hisoka in his own specialty of trickery.

Unless you mean Pouf or Youpi after Meruem eats most of their bodies. Hisoka can probably take one of them then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think pouf is better at mindgames than hisoka. He'd probably be the closest to a fair battle.

I think Hisoka + palace invasion team would probably be enough to result in atleast one dead guard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisoka specializes in killing humans, so he doesn't have any excessively destructive techniques. once you get past the aura, humans all die the same. i think the royal guard would simply be too strong and durable for his fighting style to work. plus, pouf could split into tiny copies of himself and pitou could forcibly fix herself in place, both of which counter bungee gum rather thoroughly.

as we saw with laser and chrollo's puppets, hisoka has difficulty with brute force.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus Pitou is outright faster then Hisoka is and could just blitz him. Along with all the durability the three guards have.

Lastly one of the things that gives Bungee Gum a big advantage is it allows Hisoka to pull his opponents towards him. With someone like Pitou or Youpi that would be the worst move possible, combined with the fact that they are vastly stronger then him physically. They could use the Gum to pull him towards them. Pouf is likely physically stronger then him as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus Pitou is outright faster then Hisoka is and could just blitz him. Along with all the durability the three guards have.

Lastly one of the things that gives Bungee Gum a big advantage is it allows Hisoka to pull his opponents towards him. With someone like Pitou or Youpi that would be the worst move possible, combined with the fact that they are vastly stronger then him physically. They could use the Gum to pull him towards them. Pouf is likely physically stronger then him as well.

I generally agree with the rest of this, but I don't think anyone could ever use Bungee Gum against Hisoka. He has full control over when it contracts, so if anyone every tried to pull him in with it, he could simply increase its elasticity and nullify it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he can't use it to restrain someone, then it is pretty much limited to letting him spiderman around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

I generally agree with the rest of this, but I don't think anyone could ever use Bungee Gum against Hisoka. He has full control over when it contracts, so if anyone every tried to pull him in with it, he could simply increase its elasticity and nullify it.

That is true I just did not think about it. The second it was used against him he could detach it or increase the elasticity.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

Gotoh pretty much nearly did, Hisoka had to cancel it out to prevent his arms from snapping.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly the Palace Invasion Squad was really lucky that Kumugi was hit and critically injured. If that had not happened Pitou would have participated in the fights. Gon and Killua would have been killed by Pitou who would have then went and assisted Youpi. Pitou also could have potentially saved the King.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
In at the episode of the palace invasion where knuckles made youpi go super nova, and this is arc has lasted 20 more episodes than I thought it would. There's some dragon ball z level of blueballing here.

This whole arc me wonder if the shadow Troup squad you see taking on the chimera ants could have done a better job at the palace invasion. I guess there wouldn't be a substitute for the old man. Maybe if chrollo got involved to take on the king?

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Pitou's only success was an ambush attack on one adult and 2 kids, and she only managed to take one of them out. She kinda sucks without the element of surprise.

Hisoka on the other hand has the properties of rubber and gum

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

In at the episode of the palace invasion where knuckles made youpi go super nova, and this is arc has lasted 20 more episodes than I thought it would. There's some dragon ball z level of blueballing here.

This whole arc me wonder if the shadow Troup squad you see taking on the chimera ants could have done a better job at the palace invasion. I guess there wouldn't be a substitute for the old man. Maybe if chrollo got involved to take on the king?
Don't want to come off as a dick, but believe you me, you got lucky that you're just getting there for the first time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I should watch more of the chimera ant arc but I want the villains to win and I have a sneaking suspicion they won't

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly the Palace Invasion Squad was really lucky that Kumugi was hit and critically injured. If that had not happened Pitou would have participated in the fights. Gon and Killua would have been killed by Pitou who would have then went and assisted Youpi. Pitou also could have potentially saved the King.

i disagree regarding how lethal pitou is.
a one-armed kaito managed to scuff her up a lot; gon and killua were probably at kaito's level, with killua probably being faster.

seeing as she pounces in straight lines, both gon and killua could probably handle her either with some ice-cold Rock timing (gon had a great mindset)or killus instantaneous reactions

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

i disagree regarding how lethal pitou is.
a one-armed kaito managed to scuff her up a lot; gon and killua were probably at kaito's level, with killua probably being faster.

seeing as she pounces in straight lines, both gon and killua could probably handle her either with some ice-cold Rock timing (gon had a great mindset)or killus instantaneous reactions

She got slightly scruffed up a bit while she was entirely new to everything. A Rock from Gon and Killua's attacks would have done jack poo poo to her. Normal Officer Ants were capable of tanking a rock from Gon with severe injuries. A Squad Leader is even stronger and more durable. And the King could vaporize their heads with a casual swing. The same swing, intending to kill caused slight bleeding to Pitou. A Rock would have done jack all.

While she can pounce in a stright Line, she has no need to go far distances in a close range fight.

Kite was stronger then Gon and Killua. He was a single star hunter and was stated to be stronger then the pair.

TurkeyFried posted:

Pitou's only success was an ambush attack on one adult and 2 kids, and she only managed to take one of them out. She kinda sucks without the element of surprise.

Hisoka on the other hand has the properties of rubber and gum

She never attacked the Kids.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 5, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kaito was implied to be Spider-tier, in my opinion. Good enough to where the gap between him and the kids was insurmountable without years of training. Hisoka probably would have liked to fight him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hisoka is also clearly stronger than the spiders

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gon would still have his crazy power-up, Pitou would have just died faster if Komugi hadn't been injured.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Neferpitou dying is a tragedy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh well, this might make MOVIE MAJICK get those DBZ vibes: Power Level Chat.

Here are my two cents: Hisoka would've probably killed some Squad Leaders no problem and would've no doubt escaped any fight against the Royal Family / the king himself. What I think most people forget is that ,previous to his death/rebirth after failing to defeat Chrollo, Hisoka often fought in other people's terms. If Hisoka got serious, he would've way more vicious. Which we just witnessed in the manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Begemot posted:

Gon would still have his crazy power-up, Pitou would have just died faster if Komugi hadn't been injured.

Don't think so. He only had the crazy power up cause he went into the depths of Despair when he brought Pitou to Kite. The reveal that Kite was dead already and Pitou could not heal him. He would have just been angry and intense, but he would not have thrown his life away there. In his rage the undistracted Pitou would probably have simply ripped his throat out. (Something that Pitou heavily considered doing while Gon was next to her. But felt the slight risk to Komugi was not worth it.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

Hisoka is also clearly stronger than the spiders

He is stated to be around the same level as the fighters in the Troupe. The ones he has killed or disabled he did through sneak attacks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Begemot posted:

If Komugi wasn't injured, Pitou would have never seriously talked to Gon, and Gon never would have reached the depths of hyper-rage necessary for his power up. He would have just died before having a chance to put all that together.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is stated to be around the same level as the fighters in the Troupe. The ones he has killed or disabled he did through sneak attacks.

I mean I have no doubt that Hisoka could kill almost anyone in the Troupe, it just wouldn't be trivial for him to do so. Which is exactly why it'd be fun.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 6, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

I man I have no doubt that Hisoka could kill almost anyone in the Troupe, it just wouldn't be trivial for him to do so. Which is exactly why it'd be fun.

Yeah exactly. He could probably easily kill any of them with sneak attack stuff. In a straight fight the Troupe Fighters would be a close match that Hisoka could win. But it could go the other way too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hisoka is definitely one of the most intriguing shonen men I've ever seen

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

Oh well, this might make MOVIE MAJICK get those DBZ vibes: Power Level Chat.

Here are my two cents: Hisoka would've probably killed some Squad Leaders no problem and would've no doubt escaped any fight against the Royal Family / the king himself. What I think most people forget is that ,previous to his death/rebirth after failing to defeat Chrollo, Hisoka often fought in other people's terms. If Hisoka got serious, he would've way more vicious. Which we just witnessed in the manga.

I don't think he could have escaped from the king, unless the king decided to spare him. Which, maybe, depending on when the hypothetical fight happened. The king was pretty explicitly stated to be incomparably more able than any human in terms of physical prowess and perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I don't think he could have escaped from the king, unless the king decided to spare him. Which, maybe, depending on when the hypothetical fight happened. The king was pretty explicitly stated to be incomparably more able than any human in terms of physical prowess and perception.

like if i recall correctly, a flick of Meruem's tail basically popped an Ant's head like a balloon.

Which also made Pitou just casually taking the same strike a pretty :stare: thing