Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TV's okay but it's no videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We're watching TV on TVs again? Retro.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thwomp posted:

You joke but there was a Sprint ad recently where the guy tapped on the camera and said "you're not watching this on the new iPhone 7? Scrub" or something along those lines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I vastly prefer to watch shows on my tablet, which is my weird thing I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thwomp posted:

Yes but I'm doing it ironically.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JethroMcB posted:

ER would be better off without Crichton involved, as "modern" Crichton would probably introduce a strawman character to County General who was both a pedophile and a climate change hysteric. Named after the first guy to give the revival a middling review, naturally.

I entirely agree, it's just the idea that they're attempting to get in touch with the creator of ER about reviving it that makes me laugh, given that said creator is ultra dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Life ah finds a way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If they use amber-encased Michael Crichton DNA to create lovely Sci-fi Writer Park I will be incredibly happy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

X-O posted:

Youtube Red is making a Karate Kid sequel series with William Zabka and Ralph Macchio, so uh enjoy that I guess.

Please be called Karate Man.

Also my brain added the word 'musical' to this, due to the Community episode, and now I'm disappointed that it's not one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I entirely agree, it's just the idea that they're attempting to get in touch with the creator of ER about reviving it that makes me laugh, given that said creator is ultra dead.

Ahhh, true. I'm guessing they meant John Wells et al anyhow, the people more involved with the day-to-day production. Though I'm sure they'd also be in the "Oh yeah, SO eager to come back" camp, after the way NBC treated Southland.

(Southland became a much better show when it lost its budget at TNT...and then TNT cancelled it on the most harrowing cliffhanger imaginable.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please be called Karate Man.

Also my brain added the word 'musical' to this, due to the Community episode, and now I'm disappointed that it's not one.

Large Adult Karate Son

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't Karate Kid just a straight ripoff of Rocky. If Creed can work then maybe this will.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but Rocky wasn't a huge pile of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but Rocky wasn't a huge pile of poo poo.

drat dog, Karate Kid owns

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Maxwell Lord posted:

NBC is apparently so pleased with the revived Will & Grace that they've made offers to the creators of the West Wing, The Office, ER, and 30 Rock to just bring those shows back. None of them have accepted.

And by made offers, I mean Bob Greenblatt apparently just bugs these people about it whenever he gets the chance. Like, "Hey, Tina Fey, wanna do some more 30 Rock?"

Sorkin has expressed some interest in reviving THE WEST WING. To a certain extent anyway. He just said that if he has an idea that he thinks works then he would revive the show. NBC ask him every so often.

On the subject of laugh tracks. Generally I don't notice they're there, but there's great uses of it early in CHEERS. The show wasn't afraid to get a bit dramatic occasionally, and you're aware the audience is there but totally silent for it (It also helps that James Burrows does well staging those scenes).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't Karate Kid just a straight ripoff of Rocky.

Not really? I mean sure, plot beats and framework are similar, but...

Okay Rocky is kind of a coming of age story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Large Adult Karate Son

If they called the legit show that, I could only imagine what the Hong Kong bootleg DVDs would call it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

If they called the legit show that, I could only imagine what the Hong Kong bootleg DVDs would call it.

Colossal Ancient Japanese Fighting Descendant

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I like TV, personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't Karate Kid just a straight ripoff of Rocky. If Creed can work then maybe this will.

Nah. They're both sports movies about punchsports that follow a protagonist's personal growth as he gets better at hitting people, but that's about all they have in common, and the movies are saying polar opposite things.

Karate Kid essentially says you need to win. You need to win right, but you need to win; the journey helps, but without a destination it's ultimately pointless. It's defeating the Cobra Kai kid that gives Daniel validation in the end (and especially being able to do so legitimately, without resorting to their tactics), not training and getting better.

Rocky, meanwhile, says that you'll lose every now and then, but that's not the important part; your personal growth and the people you meet along the way are more important. He may have lost the fight, but he's still as happy as a clam because he got there at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would say that Karate Kid is a little more "If you care about winning, you should care about winning right". Winning, in and of itself, doesn't seem important to Mr. Miyagi, but he helps Daniel win because he sees it as a goal that will provide personal growth for Daniel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And then Daniel wins with an illegal move.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix should take a cue from Nintendo and release a small Retro CRT TV With Built-In 90s Sitcoms

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Youtube outbid Netflix, AMC and Amazon for the Karate Kid show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a Karate Kid show?

I think I'm over nostalgia.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

And then Daniel wins with an illegal move.

In what karate organization is a kick to the head an illegal move?

That whole tournament is ridiculous, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure they say no head strikes when doling out the rules at the beginning of the match.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's important to note something I had not read earlier when I posted that info, but that the Karate Kid show is a half hour comedy and is called Cobra Kai. It's about Zabka's Johnny Lawrence starting his own dojo and renewing his rivalry with Daniel LaRusso.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm at least in for an episode or two. It has potential to be fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I'm pretty sure they say no head strikes when doling out the rules at the beginning of the match.

Huh, I haven't see it in a long time. That's possible.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

Also caught up on...The Mist (ugh).

I almost made a thread for people to poo poo on this show, but I couldn't muster the effort. Someone else do it :effort:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only five minutes in the new Wet Hot American Summer and already so many things have slayed. That opening shot of 1991...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's appropriate since the Mist really isn't worth making GBS threads on and is basically the TV version of :effort:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

On the other hand... a priest got dragged away with an arrow to the chest by the Four Horsemen after going out into the mist with a naked hippy grandma to settle a bet, and another dude turned into Marvel's newest Avenger, "Butterflyman." :suspense:

(Please don't actually watch The Mist.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm an episode behind and I'm not even sure if that spoiled me or not. I care that much about The Mist. Each week I can't remember if I'm caught up or not.

Like, I THINK I'm an episode behind. But I won't actually know until I sit down and start the latest episode streaming and see if I remember it.

I think the main reason I'm still watching is because I can't figure out what the hell The Mist is. Its like every episode or character is in their own differently themed movie. I'm curious if they have any idea of how to pull it all together by the end.

The odd thing is there's a show on TV deliberately doing that in Blood Drive and its actually kind of working.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

I know the feeling. My afternoon background noise is Bonanza, The Big Valley, Gunsmoke and The Rifleman (because it's that or talk shows at that time of day) and I need to take a step back to remember it's 2017 by the evening.

Let me guess, MeTV? That's pretty much the only thing I miss about having cable, since I get like two channels total with an antenna. I used to watch The Rockford Files every day at noon, I think I watched the entire series twice. Then after that was the Western block that sounds like it hasn't changed. Gunsmoke was the only one I really liked out of the bunch, but boy did it have some wild swings in quality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Only five minutes in the new Wet Hot American Summer and already so many things have slayed. That opening shot of 1991...

The whole first episode was loving amazing and from the ending shot I'm assuming things are gonna get really fuckin' weird.

e: I hope the plan is to keep doing time skips for the series until they get to the ages the actors actually are

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Comrade Detective. It is being played completely straight with no nudges and winks in either the 'original' footage or the English dub, and I'm really digging how surreal it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

raditts posted:

Let me guess, MeTV? That's pretty much the only thing I miss about having cable, since I get like two channels total with an antenna. I used to watch The Rockford Files every day at noon, I think I watched the entire series twice. Then after that was the Western block that sounds like it hasn't changed. Gunsmoke was the only one I really liked out of the bunch, but boy did it have some wild swings in quality.

Yup. It's on broadcast here, along with a bunch of other stuff of varying levels of quality (both reception and intrinsic), but I live straight across the river from the big broadcast tower for the city with an unobstructed view, so I'm about as ideal as broadcast can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good site for reviews of Netflix originals? I just activated a free month after not using Netflix for over a year and other than the big ones like ST I haven't heard anything about most of the shows.

• Locked thread