Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, what? It reads like its encouraging them to tell the people what they know.

It seems more like some scandal is about to drop and the DOD is trying to get out in front of it. Repeatedly talking about ethics and sports in vague terms doesn't really scream out "We're talking about leaks here." to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gyges posted:

I like to at least hope that should there be an afterlife, I'm a good enough person to not run into Dick Cheney in it.

They weighed his heart against a feather

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They weighed his heart against a feather

Then the explosives he hid in it went off, taking out Ammit and letting him stroll on in. :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Then the explosives he hid in it went off, taking out Ammit and letting him stroll on in. :v:

I think it's more likely that the heart was just so black, evil and poisonous that Ammit died with a single bite. (Un)Luckily, Cheney has proven to be more than capable of coping without it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's not his heart. It's the heart of someone good enough to donate their organs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gyges posted:

It's not his heart. It's the heart of someone good enough to donate their organs.

Can't be that good as the heart didn't explode on contact with Cheney's dark ichor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gyges posted:

I was riffing on the last object that could plausibly be described as HIS heart being an artificial device.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gyges posted:

yeah, that was the joke

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

This is kind of ominous. I wonder if something's happening behind the scenes.
Probably all those crimes being investigated.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
also nick robinson from polygon is an internet pervert and that has broken my heart. Every single thing related to videogames is poison.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'd pay to see Cheney get in a fist fight with Bannon.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gyges posted:

That's my heart.

He didn't even ask for permission!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I'd pay to see Cheney get in a fist fight with Bannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bblZcwvkPmE

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The timing of the Mattis memo is the most curious thing about it. Any high-up sends all-hands memos, usually less brief and specific, with a frequency of their prerogative. Some send lots. Mattis hasn't. It does seem noteworthy and mysterious to me and makes me think he's expecting some wide-reaching military-relevant ethical dilemma to come very soon. Nobody does it on a Friday night.

His agenda/schedule for today could probably hold a clue as to what is on his mind.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theres a will theres moe posted:

The timing of the Mattis memo is the most curious thing about it. Any high-up sends all-hands memos, usually less brief and specific, with a frequency of their prerogative. Some send lots. Mattis hasn't. It does seem noteworthy and mysterious to me and makes me think he's expecting some wide-reaching military-relevant ethical dilemma to come very soon. Nobody does it on a Friday night.

His agenda/schedule for today could probably hold a clue as to what is on his mind.

That may be, but then again, it's also possible that Trump, incensed about all the leaks, specifically asked Mattis to send that memo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

"You are frustrated with Jared Kushner"
"You are annoyed with Jared Kushner"

Who isn't? :v:

I like how he tried /boo first but it wasn't a valid command.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Could it be the transgender ban?

It would be darkly amusing if trans rights triggered a US military coup, but in defense of LGBT service members.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pakled posted:

That may be, but then again, it's also possible that Trump, incensed about all the leaks, specifically asked Mattis to send that memo.

Yeah that's a possibility, but the leaks that have been bothering the exec branch lately haven't been coming from DoD

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The memo honestly sounds more like "hey, sorry, we are going to make everyone take a PR course" more than "ethics, you know, like that scandal that is about to drop"

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

also nick robinson from polygon is an internet pervert and that has broken my heart. Every single thing related to videogames is poison.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...6ac7_story.html

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

GOP donors are loving dweebs

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/893658334850580480

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

WOULD YOU EVEN CARE IF HE WAS GUILTY?

The stock market is up, unemployment is down and the economy seems to be picking up some steam. The streets are mostly safe, the nation is mostly secure and the world is mostly at peace.

So does it matter to you whether or not the president is a crook? The answer for a lot of Americans may be no.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The ending seems to be particularly meaningful to me - "never abusing our position nor looking the other way when we see something wrong."

There is obviously something wrong.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

That's not how donations work. They never have to follow through for donors because there's no quid pro quo. Have a taste of campaign promises, motherfuckers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The memo honestly sounds more like "hey, sorry, we are going to make everyone take a PR course" more than "ethics, you know, like that scandal that is about to drop"

And anyway, what are the odds of this administration having a major scandal drop this weekend?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pellisworth posted:

Could it be the transgender ban?

It would be darkly amusing if trans rights triggered a US military coup, but in defense of LGBT service members.

There have already been high-level memos about that, which said that Tweets aren't orders and the JCS intend for commanders to maintain dignity and respect for all personnel regardless of orientation. I don't think Mattis would send a cryptic memo on a Friday night just to reiterate what's already been clearly communicated.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Turtle looks concerned about a deal he made with some cenobites being called.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My go-to studio for video games as art is Russian. :ohdear:

(Ice Pick Lodge, mostly because of Pathologic and The Void)

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

ascii genitals posted:

The stock market is up, unemployment is down and the economy seems to be picking up some steam. The streets are mostly safe, the nation is mostly secure and the world is mostly at peace.

So does it matter to you whether or not the president is a crook? The answer for a lot of Americans may be no.

But I thought immigrants were ruining the economy and raping our women and feeding our children heroin?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

But I thought immigrants were ruining the economy and raping our women and feeding our children heroin?

Can you believe it? Trump turned it all around, in 6 months, just by tweeting at Fox News on the toilet and golfing!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ascii genitals posted:

I like that they try and call back to Clinton, but neglect to mention that Clinton was widely popular as the House initiated impeachment. Largely because everyone but hardcore Republicans realized it was some bullshit charges. As Clinton was impeached, 41% of Republicans approved of him and the Independent and Democratic numbers were virtual inverses of where Trump is now.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I see why it would seem that is likely, but there's a couple things to consider. First, Generals use language carefully., and Mattis is not an idiot. I believe the lack of detail was intentional and this is the equivalent of a heads-up. Second, military members have specific muscle memory associated with words like 'integrity' and 'ethics' - ask any military person what 'integrity' means, and they'll tell you something very much like "doing what's right even when no-one is looking." Officers get training on ethics, which is its own bag of cats. I'm not saying the memo is a code or anything, but military people find intent in some of these phrases where they otherwise maybe look like some vague email from a dumb HR person or something.

He wouldn't have taken the time to write a memo to the whole DoD without carefully considering how what he's saying will be interpreted. After business hours on a Friday. I'm very curious about it. There is meat somewhere on the burger IMO.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting to suspect, that just maybe, a good deal of the right wing criticism of Obama wasn't being made in good faith. It's a little out there though. I'd hate to think there's different standard for a retarded nazi, for some reason.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's not how donations work. They never have to follow through for donors because there's no quid pro quo. Have a taste of campaign promises, motherfuckers.

You know sometimes I wonder if those people would get better "ROI" if they just put that money in even a basic savings account or some other modest investment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sneakster posted:

I'm starting to suspect, that just maybe, a good deal of the right wing criticism of Obama wasn't being made in good faith. It's a little out there though.

post of the year right here

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I see why it would seem that is likely, but there's a couple things to consider. First, Generals use language carefully., and Mattis is not an idiot. I believe the lack of detail was intentional and this is the equivalent of a heads-up. Second, military members have specific muscle memory associated with words like 'integrity' and 'ethics' - ask any military person what 'integrity' means, and they'll tell you something very much like "doing what's right even when no-one is looking." Officers get training on ethics, which is its own bag of cats. I'm not saying the memo is a code or anything, but military people find intent in some of these phrases where they otherwise maybe look like some vague email from a dumb HR person or something.

He wouldn't have taken the time to write a memo to the whole DoD without carefully considering how what he's saying will be interpreted. After business hours on a Friday. I'm very curious about it. There is meat somewhere on the burger IMO.

It just doesn't seem like it speaks to any sort of crisis or scandal, it seems a lot like it speaks to "we are going to make you all take a class in sexual harassment/prisoner mistreatment/data security/whatever please don't complain, just do it"

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It just doesn't seem like it speaks to any sort of crisis or scandal, it seems a lot like it speaks to "we are going to make you all take a class in sexual harassment/prisoner mistreatment/data security/whatever please don't complain, just do it"

It's not that. Memos like that don't come from SECDEF, and if it were about some kind of training or some specific issue he was currently able to talk specifically about, he would have talked specifically about it (or delegated the talking down to subordinate units). It's not a business-as-usual memo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm really upset about this too because I loving love his content but if he's a piece of poo poo (and he seems pretty certain to be) then welp :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

To me it reads like "The DOD is not getting sucked into this fuckhole with the President and I better not see a drat one of you get subpoena'd by Mueller for even slightly suspicious behavior, or else."

Like, it comes directly after the Grand Jury announcements, so I assume it's related to that. The text itself is almost asking for whistle blowers to come forwards, (note: to him/their direct superiors, not the press.) It could be related to the trans-ban but ehhhh I'm seeing more of a general "Keep your noses clean soldiers, because when the knives come out we don't want them coming for us."

e: And to be fair to Mattis, he's kept the DoD out of the mud SO far. America losing faith in the president is bad, but losing faith in the armed forces would be disastrous.

• Locked thread