Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

popehat's been posting all day?

see how often I check twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

I'm hopefully waiting for the ruling to come as: "nope, looks like you're in violation of the GPL and the copyright of torvalds et al" and the resulting infringement case

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proteus Jones posted:

He was given a 12 hour posting ban, thanks to the slap fight he's having with that Texas lawyer/bigot.

https://www.popehat.com/2017/08/03/how-i-got-barred-from-posting-on-twitter/

Goddammit, Twitter-Radium! :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

assuming brit/wisconsin combo how's the russian in this compared to native:

not fantastic. a fairly good attempt at mimicry, but it's decidedly failing at consistency

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also it is sort of wrriten like an undercover cops speech in a gang scene in a comedy movie

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah that's how everyone learns about rootkits though so i wouldn't read into that much

e: interesting on the russian part, not that native russian would mean more than someone was paid to translate

translator is certainly not native. well, at the very least a native who has for a long rear end time or always lived abroad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E: saw tldr on chat log

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 4, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
what does it say though?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what does it say though?

it's a brief kronos feature presentation, as well as info on pricing and purchase

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a bit more detail on the lnk vuln patched last month on windows ( https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-8464 )
https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/824672

quote:

Microsoft Windows automatically executes code specified in shortcut files

By convincing a user to display a specially-crafted shortcut file, an attacker may be able to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user. Depending on the operating system and AutoRun/AutoPlay configuration, this can happen automatically by connecting a USB device.

The origin of this vulnerability is outlined in VU#940193 (CVE-2010-2568). The fix for CVE-2010-2568 and the subsequent fix for CVE-2016-0096 are both insufficient in that they not take into account LNK files that use the SpecialFolderDataBlock or KnownFolderDataBlock attributes to specify the location of a folder. Such files are able to bypass the whitelisting first implemented in the fix for CVE-2010-2568.
so stuxnet's usb spreading vuln was insufficiently patched and still viable, poc: https://github.com/securifybv/ShellLink

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

a bit more detail on the lnk vuln patched last month on windows ( https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-8464 )
https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/824672

so stuxnet's usb spreading vuln was insufficiently patched and still viable, poc: https://github.com/securifybv/ShellLink

yes, we accidentally insufficiently patched it. by accident. silly us.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo SEP to SEPM traffic appears to be straight HTTP on an alt port how the gently caress hasn't someone arp poisoned or intercepted on wifi to use this to compromise endpoints as root

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess the guy doing the WINE filename interpretation was just trying to maintain compatibility.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Thank goodness California has a SLAPP statute. I wish popehat wasn't on twitter probation so I could read his musings on this

it's federal though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

He was given a 12 hour posting ban, thanks to the slap fight he's having with that Texas lawyer/bigot.

https://www.popehat.com/2017/08/03/how-i-got-barred-from-posting-on-twitter/
no, he was barred from posting until he deleted that tweet. the 12-hour limit on his account would have begun after he deleted that tweet. he appealed the decision, and they let him go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo SEP to SEPM traffic appears to be straight HTTP on an alt port how the gently caress hasn't someone arp poisoned or intercepted on wifi to use this to compromise endpoints as root

its probably checking signatures but also probably checking signatures in a way that's wrong and exploitable

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its probably checking signatures but also probably checking signatures in a way that's wrong and exploitable

I can't find anything in the config the binds it to the server in a meaningful way and that would create situations where someone hoses a management server and now the clients are orphaned. They seem super willing to jump on a new servers and I just can't think of a good way to do that without having a persistent side channel or PKI certs which it is not using.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh I was thinking it was updates, but if the control traffic is unencrypted and unsigned then lol. it would be pretty easy to grab a trace and see what its sending and if its signed or not.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

oh I was thinking it was updates, but if the control traffic is unencrypted and unsigned then lol. it would be pretty easy to grab a trace and see what its sending and if its signed or not.
Update supports HTTPs and its signed by Symantec so that's okay. Even over HTTP you're relatively safe. But Symantec isn't signing your configs with their private key and they don't give you a PKI cert for signing and you don't distribute a public key from the key pair with the install so for the life of me I cannot imagine how they would effectively be doing sig validation unless every single environment is pre-loaded with the same private key

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they could be exchanging keys the first time they get registered but you're right about them being very willing to join to any available management server. best case theres some wonkiness going on that makes them vulnerable during registration that might get hijacked. worst case they aren't doing any signing and even worse case they're signing with hardcoded keys.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Okay, so the latest 14 release supports (optional) HTTPS so I can slap a cert on there but I'll still have to handle the transition of legacy clients that can't support it and a million different forked configs that got delegated and hosed up. Can't Wait! I guess its just been twisting in the breeze for a decade now but they're starting to fix it. You have to configure all this through apache httpd.conf files for maximum gently caress You, please ignore that there is a perfectly good IIS/schannel stack sitting there but please run my crypto on the loving shittiest openssl Implimentation imaginable.

They claim configured policies are signed in some way but it has to be weak signing at best because there's no proper trust chain.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they probably have their own key system built into the product that's not obvious or easy to manage, but it could certainly be done fine with some basic key distribution from the management server. the trust chain would be direct to the management server's cert.

also remember when people used to claim httpd was so much better than iis cause the configuration was done in bash and it had fewer vulnerabilities? lol.

also you could probably setup IIS as a proxy in front so you could have good tls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
q!=e

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lain Iwakura posted:

tell us: why do you want an american-based vpn provider?

Netflix obviously.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
i just fell for a fake phishing email with a link to a file called "2017 Employee_Salaraies_Bonus_Schedule.xlsm"" and fake-sent via dropbox but actually coming from dropboxnotifications.com which is a Sophos anti-phishing domain. And I guess my failure was recorded or something? Maybe I have to take a training. I am sure they will inform me of the dangers of macro-enabled excel files.

The danger is real, folks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol if you don't ignore your email and only respond to slack or hipchat

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol if you don't ignore your email and only respond to slack or hipchat

We have MS Teams...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
teams is good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

French Canadian posted:

i just fell for a fake phishing email with a link to a file called "2017 Employee_Salaraies_Bonus_Schedule.xlsm"" and fake-sent via dropbox but actually coming from dropboxnotifications.com which is a Sophos anti-phishing domain. And I guess my failure was recorded or something? Maybe I have to take a training. I am sure they will inform me of the dangers of macro-enabled excel files.

security fuckup located: its u

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

French Canadian posted:

hope u took all your personal effects home with you today cause your badge won't work monday morning

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
idk what the rest of the email would have to look like for anyone to click on http://dropboxnotifications.com/base64_of_my_email_address/2017%20Employee_Salaraies_Bonus_Schedule.xlsm but it had better be pretty good

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

anthonypants posted:

idk what the rest of the email would have to look like for anyone to click on http://dropboxnotifications.com/base64_of_my_email_address/2017%20Employee_Salaraies_Bonus_Schedule.xlsm but it had better be pretty good

The link was embedded in a "get the file!"-type image that begged to be clicked. I clicked it so hard.

And it's true. We didn't get bonuses this year.

And they spelled salaries wrong.

I shouldn't check email at home after a visit to the bar?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

French Canadian posted:

The link was embedded in a "get the file!"-type image that [i]begged to be clicked. I clicked it so hard.

And it's true. We didn't get bonuses this year.

And they spelled salaries wrong.

I shouldn't check email at home after a visit to the bar?

lol what a lovely thing to use as bait

i mean it's good bait, but wow gently caress that

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

lol what a lovely thing to use as bait

i mean it's good bait, but wow gently caress that

Everyone already knew they weren't getting bonuses. But still a lovely thing to play off of I would say.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
god it even has xlsm in the body of the email

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

anthonypants posted:

god it even has xlsm in the body of the email

Excel files from the internet are not permitted to run macros, etc unless the user grants permission :smug:

But it's like a double-gotcha.

"Well, I knew that my computer was safe because x, y, z reasons"

"Yes but why were you opening SENSITIVE HR FILES?!?! SHAME! NO ONE CAN KNOW HOW MUCH THE OTHER MAKES!"

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 5, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

French Canadian posted:

Excel files from the internet are not permitted to run macros, etc unless the user grants permission :smug:
by default

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Yes? I guess I don't know what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/security-researcher-who-neutralized-wcry-to-be-released-on-30000-bond/

quote:

According to the reporter, federal prosecutors told the court that Hutchins admitted to developing the malware at the heart of the criminal case and to playing a role in its sale. She said Hutchins' attorney disagreed with that claim. Federal prosecutors also attempted to block Hutchins' request for bail on grounds he had shot firearms at a shooting range last week while in Vegas for the Black Hat and Defcon security gatherings. Magistrate Judge Nancy Koppe ruled that Hutchins is not a danger to the community and has sufficient community support to not be a flight risk, the Associated Press reported.

• Locked thread