Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anything that takes longer to change than the barrel of an MG42 should not legally be entitled to the designation "quick barrel change".

Also, dear Americans, why are there civilians amongst your populace owning and operating Pak38s and Flak 36s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bGczFQIOc

Because America is awesome, that's why :colbert:

In reality though anything larger than .50 caliber (with blackpowder muskets and such being excepted) is classified as a Destructive Device and is regulated under the NFA, and then consequently by each state. It's prohibitively expensive to buy loving cannons like that, and all your info and fingerprints is with the feds. Not very likely the people that are willing to go through that whole process would do anything nefarious with it. Especially because they're usually rich doctors and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

M_Gargantua posted:

I wonder if you have to pay an NFA tax stamp for each round or if that's only if the round has explosives.

Technically artillery isn't illegal anywhere in the US, even California, but lol trying to get the California DOJ to give you the permit.

This is so loving usa.txt

/edit:

I mean, big gently caress-off guns own and all, but still :lol:

/edit:

^^^^ Does that also apply to indirect-fire artillery, like proper howitzers and such?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 30, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, dear Americans, why are there civilians amongst your populace owning and operating Pak38s and Flak 36s?

When America was founded, a private citizen could own their own warships. If anything, we've taken a giant step backwards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

When America was founded, a private citizen could own their own warships. If anything, we've taken a giant step backwards.

Well I mean if you're rich enough...

I could argue that tech giants like zuck, musk, etc have access to destructive cyber weapons that are far more cost effectiveness than buying a whole warship though. 2017 and all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I don't know, even if I had gently caress-you money and could afford the most modern and recent rail gun model in the world, I'd spent all my cash on a Schwerer Gustav or poo poo like that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Scratch that, I'd get a loving Karl Geraet

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Give me an M777 if you're rich tia

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

Give me an M777 if you're rich tia

Worthless if you can't get those GPS rounds

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Because America is awesome, that's why :colbert:

In reality though anything larger than .50 caliber (with blackpowder muskets and such being excepted) is classified as a Destructive Device and is regulated under the NFA, and then consequently by each state. It's prohibitively expensive to buy loving cannons like that, and all your info and fingerprints is with the feds. Not very likely the people that are willing to go through that whole process would do anything nefarious with it. Especially because they're usually rich doctors and poo poo.

It's the same reason machine guns are still federally legal: they're so expensive that only wealthy people who go through a ton of paperwork and have clean criminal records will ever legally own one, and if someone wants one illegally anyway they can just make it themselves easily.

If a bad guy wants a cannon, he'll sure as poo poo make one himself before buying a WW2 flak gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avh4HMLcyPw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fun fact: my first proposed college project got shot down because hacking together basic radio communications equipment from scrap is 80% of the way to building remote IED detonators from scrap.

Bad guys always find a way. And after talking in the vennesula thread I might restart that project as an intercollegiate program focusing on shortwave radios (already got a PA-CT-MA route setup!). Because I'm starting to care less if the distinction between civilian and military infrastructure is blurred.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Rat, what the hell happened to your avatar. :stare:

I like a good Deus Ex reference as much as the next nerd, but that is an odd choice.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:unsmigghh:

I got a freebie for doing a thread for TFR education week and wanted a change. Couldn't think of anything else to go with, soooo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

:unsmigghh:

I got a freebie for doing a thread for TFR education week and wanted a change. Couldn't think of anything else to go with, soooo

Yeah, but that pony avatar was fuckin' classic.

I didn't get an avatar change for doing a thread 'cause I don't fuckin' know what to get. That and I earned this title, thanks.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yo rat my dad bought the boots you suggested and loves them. Mind you the pair they replaced was some all leather lowes from when he worked for the national parks in the 70s.

Does anyone have a suggestion for suspenders and outdoors belt? I'm going day hiking/fishing want to be able to put fly fishing gear knife etc on a belt and just drop the pack.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 31, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:toot: Glad he likes them! From what I've noticed, I get about a 1.5-2ish year life span out of them, but I also wear them for daily wear and not just hiking.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Today was ridiculous. Had a lot of good energy and happened to wake up early, so I rolled up to RMNP and did every lake down Glacier Gorge up to, and past, Black lake. Eight lakes total. Lots of bushwhacking and climbing slopes and other assorted madness. Gimme somma dat mountain goat poo poo. No clue on total mileage since I spent so much time off trail. Around 16ish?

Mills lake.

Thought this reflection was neat.

Jewel lake.

Waterfall leading to Shelf lake.

Shelf lake.

Solitude lake.

Black lake, viewed from above.

Black lake, eye level.

Frozen lake. Lives up to its name. Lots of ice, even in late July it can't let it go.

The Spearhead, viewed from the Frozen lake side.

Green lake, viewed from above.

Green lake, eye level.

The Spearhead, Green lake side.

This was taken with my DSLR with wide angle lens, so that really shows that this guy didn't care that I got up close.

Blue lake. Whoever named these was not very creative.

Alberta falls. Taken after Waldo got straight dunked when a branch gave way and it fell in. Thankfully the weight meant no drift. Properly field stripped and dried out since returning home. Not the first time this has happened.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Well I'm doing 3 gun Atlanta next week. I'm going with a buddy and he's borrowing one of my glock 19 and my extra rifle. Only issue we're having is, we had no clue what to sign up for and just randomly picked. After reading the rules, we had to email to be changed to unlimited because both my glocks are stippled. Only thing we're confused about now is how much rounds to bring. I'm searching their site but the only thing I found is this:

Minimum Required Rounds
Pistol: xx Shot: xx
*Shot size 7 1/2 or smaller!
Rifle: xx Slugs: xx
*No Steel Core or Green Tip!

As you can tell, that isn't much help. Should we just bring 3-4 mags of pistol/rifle and two or three boxes of shotgun and hope it's enough?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
They probably just haven't finalized the round counts. I'd check back later on.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If it's your average one day 3-gun match, I'd say bring 200 each of rifle/pistol, a box of 100 birdshot and 15 slugs from Walmart and you should have leftovers. Should being the key word. I don't know of any match that would make you burn that much ammo in a day, especially not a regular local match. (I've been using 7.5 birdshot Federal bulk packs of 12ga and those 15rd packs of rifled slugs from Walmart and they've worked well enough.)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kaliber posted:

After reading the rules, we had to email to be changed to unlimited because both my glocks are stippled.
Unlimited for stippling? Are they otherwise factory stock?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

Unlimited for stippling? Are they otherwise factory stock?

stippled, slide cuts, and aftermarket trigger.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:flashfap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRWNoJkDYZ8

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Well that just made my powerball list.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ugh I impulse bought a microtech ultratech knife *image of perfectly good money being set on fire*

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

show us your shame

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

show us your shame

we've already seen his hideous gut

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

tastefully arranged labia posted:

we've already seen his hideous gut

That no longer exists :D

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Another go at RMNP today. This time did the one-way trail starting from Bear lake and going down to Fern lake/etc and using the shuttle for pickup.

Lake Helene. Had an embarrassing moment here that was bound to happen eventually. Thought I was clear, had just finished whipping Waldo out of my pack, and some old dude walks around the corner. He had the biggest "oh poo poo" expression on his face I've seen since Iraq. I tried to smile and explain that it was just for photography and I'm harmless and all that. His basic response was "that's pretty weird, don't let a park ranger see you doing that" before shuffling off. I felt kinda bad. (Though I did explain that it was perfectly legal since I wasn't hunting or shooting anything.)

Notchtop mountain + Grace falls.

Overlooking Odessa lake from a distance.

Odessa lake at eye level.

Fern lake. Pretty bad shot, but to be fair it's not the greatest lake and there were a lot of people around. Had to take what I could get.

MOUNTAIN CHICKEN

Spruce lake.

Waterfall on the way to Loomis lake.

Loomis lake.

Taking a picture of a fish turned out surprisingly difficult.

Fern falls.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some guys walk into chicks doing topless selfies, this poor guy gets you with your Waldo out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It was embarrassing, like someone walking in on you mid wank.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"Look, buddy, I don't tell you how to play with your Waldo. Don't tell me how to have fun with mine."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Now I can be the master of edc photo threads everywhere

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo didn't realize there was still another page after that last post. Sorry.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPG-aKZ7oKQ

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

What the gently caress

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Did I just watch

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not even sure if that's real or if that's just genius-level parody, because if you asked me to parody modern firearm "training" courses that right there is exactly the video that I would make. Brain broke. :negative:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

We're through the looking glass.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That Charlie's Angels move at the end. :stare:

I especially like how they flag each other constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh hey a reason to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCEfu471oS8