Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

The whole first episode was loving amazing and from the ending shot I'm assuming things are gonna get really fuckin' weird.

e: I hope the plan is to keep doing time skips for the series until they get to the ages the actors actually are

When the title card came up I was like 'oh wow this is a late one' and it was only after the fourth page of cast members being listed did I realize the entire episode had flown by. May they never stop making this drat show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only get a shaky CBS, NBC, and Fox with my antenna but I get a poo poo ton of random rear end SD channels that show old shows and movies. Sometimes I do just flip them on when I can't sleep or can't get up or am doing something and just want some background on. Or if my internet is acting up.

Right now i can watch Blue Hawaii on Movies!, Star Trek the Next Generation on Heroes, and Walker Texas Ranger on GRIT.

I think I'll go with Elvis but one day I'll look up where the hell these channels are coming from.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Koburn posted:

Is there a good site for reviews of Netflix originals? I just activated a free month after not using Netflix for over a year and other than the big ones like ST I haven't heard anything about most of the shows.

Just watch GLOW

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GreenNight posted:

Just watch GLOW

Watch GLOW, everybody loves GLOW. My parents loved GLOW (It was pretty much the first thing they watched after I gave them my Netflix login; I got a confused "wait, where's season 2" text as soon as they finished.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
William Zabka has been trying to get this Karate Kid thing made for like 10 years now. He first started talking about it after directing the No More Kings video

which is amazing and you can watch right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WGN is playing all of the Slap Bet episodes of HIMYM and even my complete lack of desire to rewatch the series for the most part cannot ruin the last 10 minutes of Slap Bet, one of the best sitcom episodes ever.

The payoff is amazing, it created two running jokes that lasted the rest of the series and it combined Tiffany jokes and Canada jokes into one beautiful, perfect music video.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am down with the Karate Kid show being about a middle aged dude getting into mixed martial arts to take down his high school nemesis. I feel like a self aware show would be pretty funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's definitely form for Macchio doing something like that too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAtd2r49wFw

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

So I posted way back in June some time about my partner and I both thinking about watching Lost for the first time.

Well, between then and today we've watched all 6 seasons, just finishing tonight. We both loved the whole thing, going in open for anything and getting to watch a couple per day - and with no big breaks between seasons - definitely made a difference I think.

Good stuff all around, season 6 has been my personal favourite but there was never anything major I didn't enjoy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

She's like a lameass nick fury lady without the eyepatch or attitude.

Her wallet juzt says "Bad Mother"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Toast King posted:

So I posted way back in June some time about my partner and I both thinking about watching Lost for the first time.

Well, between then and today we've watched all 6 seasons, just finishing tonight. We both loved the whole thing, going in open for anything and getting to watch a couple per day - and with no big breaks between seasons - definitely made a difference I think.

Good stuff all around, season 6 has been my personal favourite but there was never anything major I didn't enjoy.

That's awesome. One of my fondest forum memories was all the crazy theories when there was months between the hatch being found and opened and Locke finding the weird picture on the door. So much photoshop and crazy poo poo.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Anything like Narcos with a strong antihero? I need my Pablo fix :(

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"I'm happy for you, Ken."

I rewound that at least a few times.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 5, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

WGN is playing all of the Slap Bet episodes of HIMYM and even my complete lack of desire to rewatch the series for the most part cannot ruin the last 10 minutes of Slap Bet, one of the best sitcom episodes ever.

The payoff is amazing, it created two running jokes that lasted the rest of the series and it combined Tiffany jokes and Canada jokes into one beautiful, perfect music video.

Slap Bet is up there with The Innkeepers, Marge vs. the Monorail, The Parking Garage and Remedial Chaos Theory in the canon, absolutely.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Slap Bet is up there with The Innkeepers, Marge vs. the Monorail, The Parking Garage and Remedial Chaos Theory in the canon, absolutely.

And then a few short years later they used it as an excuse to do an episode in yellowface.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It bothers me how perfect they made The Mother, in that she got along perfectly with everyone immediately, knowing how to ameliorate Lily's anger at Marshall, Barney's issues with women and Robin, and I can't recall how she met Marshall or Robin but I'm sure she perfectly solved their immediate emergency and perfectly understood their personalities

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

It bothers me how perfect they made The Mother, in that she got along perfectly with everyone immediately, knowing how to ameliorate Lily's anger at Marshall, Barney's issues with women and Robin, and I can't recall how she met Marshall or Robin but I'm sure she perfectly solved their immediate emergency and perfectly understood their personalities

She met Marshall when he was walking to the hotel from the broken-down bus. I think she meets Robin when Robin tries to bolt on the day of the wedding and plows her over?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Anything like Narcos with a strong antihero? I need my Pablo fix :(

El Chapo is meant to be really good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The final episode of WHAS: 10 Years Later was great.

"I keep seeing her eyes"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

As great as Let's Go to the Mall is, they somehow managed to equal it with Sandcastles in the Sand (to say nothing of ROBIN DAGGERS.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

As great as Let's Go to the Mall is, they somehow managed to equal it with Sandcastles in the Sand (to say nothing of ROBIN DAGGERS.)

All the Robin Sparkles/Daggers songs are legit good and catchy as all hell

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toast King posted:

What did you think about S03E09, "Stranger In a Strange Land"? It's the only episode I skip when I rewatch the show.

Personally I really enjoy seasons 5 and 6, but for me the first season will always be my favorite. Quite possibly the best writers room a TV show will ever have, great character work, and the mysteries were fresh and new, culminating with quite possibly the best cocktease of a season finale ever aired.

...goddamn it it's time for another rewatch, isn't it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ewww Ted ewww don't do all that locket business you creep

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Comrade Detective and it's pretty fun. Especially all the stuff about how great Communism/the Romanian government is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just hit the season 6 episode of Supernatural that is a homage to the X-Files.

We don't deserve this show. May it never end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Supernatural would be the best show if it wasn't so afraid of having terrible looking monsters on screen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

Just hit the season 6 episode of Supernatural that is a homage to the X-Files.

We don't deserve this show. May it never end.

It's hosed up that Mitch Pileggi was a regular member of the cast that season and he didn't even show up for that episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

raditts posted:

It's hosed up that Mitch Pileggi was a regular member of the cast that season and he didn't even show up for that episode.

I didn't even realize this until right now!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm surprised there was no Wet Hot American Summer thread. I seem to recall we got one last time.

This season was fun, but it feels like with that ending that they think they've done all they can do with it. I loved some of the meta jokes like Coop saying they can continue the conversation in episode 4 and David Hyde Pierce doing a cameo in his own room, making up a password, and then walking away past his Emmy awards

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lurdiak posted:

Supernatural would be the best show if it wasn't so afraid of having terrible looking monsters on screen.

I get it's a budget thing, but I do wish they'd bring back some of the creature effects from S1/2. Now, regardless of what it is, it's usually a variation on the same idea (Appears like a person, but they're a monster underneath).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Her wallet juzt says "Bad Mother"

We had to endure the trailer for Bad Moms 2 in front of ATOMIC BLONDE and it is the worst thing I have ever seen. Do not look it up.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

lelandjs posted:

What did you think about S03E09, "Stranger In a Strange Land"? It's the only episode I skip when I rewatch the show.

Personally I really enjoy seasons 5 and 6, but for me the first season will always be my favorite. Quite possibly the best writers room a TV show will ever have, great character work, and the mysteries were fresh and new, culminating with quite possibly the best cocktease of a season finale ever aired.

...goddamn it it's time for another rewatch, isn't it.

Getting to watch a couple every day really evened out any low points, I had to go back to a summary of that episode to see what the deal was. Thinking back now it definitely had the least interesting flashback I can remember. Pretty much the kind I forgot about as soon as it was over. I remember reading an old interview with Lindelof recently, where even they thought the flashback was pretty bad and used his real tattoos to try and get some story out of it.

With so many episodes per season I guess it's to be expected, even the lowest points still looked great and had plenty of good moments going for them. I loved the changes in scope and story between every season, I'd definitely enjoy a rewatch of the smaller-scale season 1 again one day. That end of season 1 was something special for sure, nothing about it ever got spoiler through pop culture so I got to enjoy it fresh.

Lots of cool holy poo poo moments of island mystery as well. Seeing the countdown switch from numbers to ominous red heiroglyphs the first time was especially memorable at the time.

So many good moments all the way through, season 6 was just extra special for me. Ab Aeterno with more of Richard's story, Across The Sea, and the two part finale were especially good. i enjoyed the change in S6 flashes the most and it all came together in a really satisfying way for me.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 6, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

May it never end.

Well based on the evidence available it probably won't. It gets consistent ratings, has basically stabilized in quality where it pretty much never dips into something you'd turn off if you've been with it this long, and the people making it seem up for doing it for as long as the network will have them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The story going around is that they'll end it when 300 episodes hits - that'll be the last season. Who knows though, the CW constantly said they'll keep making it as long as the stars want to.

Jared has definitely said the goal is 300, then "we'll see how we feel".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"Stranger in a Strange Land" exists solely to "explain" Matthew Fox's real-life tattoo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said if there's going to be another season of Documentary Now?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Superrodan posted:

I'm surprised there was no Wet Hot American Summer thread. I seem to recall we got one last time.

This season was fun, but it feels like with that ending that they think they've done all they can do with it. I loved some of the meta jokes like Coop saying they can continue the conversation in episode 4 and David Hyde Pierce doing a cameo in his own room, making up a password, and then walking away past his Emmy awards

Honestly, the whole season felt like they're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's still a decent watch and definitely has its moments (David Hyde Pierce alone makes the entire thing worthwhile) but I kind of hope they're hanging it up here.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

"Stranger in a Strange Land" exists solely to "explain" Matthew Fox's real-life tattoo.

I've seen somewhere that it was actually a gambit by Cuse and Lindelof--they made an episode that was intentionally medicore and, instead of advancing the overall plot, explained the most inane "mystery" they could think of. They then took the ratings and viewer response to the ABC execs and said "Look, either you can give us an end date so we can start working towards an ending like the viewers want, or we can keep spinning our wheels with episodes like this, we'll lose viewers, and you'll end up cancelling us in a year or two."

I like to think that's what actually happened, because overall the casting in Lost is so good that the only logical explanation for notably terrible actress Bai Ling being in the show is that they were pulling a "Producers" style stunt.

Or maybe they just put out a bad episode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

precision posted:

We had to endure the trailer for Bad Moms 2 in front of ATOMIC BLONDE and it is the worst thing I have ever seen. Do not look it up.

I won't go see it and it looks terrible, but I'm kind of impressed that Bad Moms came out in the summer of 2016, they announced the sequel on December 23rd, 2016, they started filming at the beginning of May 2017 and it's going to be in theaters almost exactly 5 months later.

Meanwhile, a couple of weeks before that we're getting an absolutely atrocious looking movie (Same Kind Of Different As Me) that literally was finished shooting before 2014 ended. Hollywood is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I somehow missed that Amazon Prime added all of the original episodes of Unsolved Mysteries and even added brand new updates for some of the cases. This is going to take up some significant time out of my life for the rest of this year probably.

• Locked thread