Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A.o.D. posted:

A tedious, oppresive adventure module disguised as a good time.

Iirc Tomb of Horrors was initially designed for contests at DnD conventions like a tabletop version of Ninja Warrior where the winner was the last man standing, its not supposed to be the same kind of experience as a proper adventure set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've heard that it was designed by Gygax specifically for his group, never thinking it would be published. So it seems ridiculous out of context, but they'd been playing together for years and new what to expect.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

What was the infamous rear end in a top hat dungeon with the cursed staircase where putting a foot on each step permanently drained one level?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Update.

In which we anticipate a descending slide whistle sound effect.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I for one am shocked.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I shouldn't be surprised and yet, i am.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like allison's tally is going to go up in a bit.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc Tomb of Horrors was initially designed for contests at DnD conventions like a tabletop version of Ninja Warrior where the winner was the last man standing, its not supposed to be the same kind of experience as a proper adventure set.

The best part is the stories of it being used in these contests. Parties apparently, among other tactics, herded massive amounts of cattle ahead of them to trigger traps, hired dwarven miners to dig around the place (as using Ethereal travel to bypass the walls gets you mugged by devils), used an instakill crown trap on the boss, and tear the valuable Adamantine doors off their hinges and sell them, claiming victory on the grounds of having made more money lootwise.

When the Tomb got remade for 3.5, the instakill crown trap had a rule that it couldn't be taken out of its room, and the doors were steel magically enchanted to be as hard as adamantine only while they stayed part of the doorway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dartonus posted:

hired dwarven miners to dig around the place (as using Ethereal travel to bypass the walls gets you mugged by devils),

IIRC, in the original set-up of the Tomb of Horrors, the actual tomb was buried twenty or so feet below ground. If you didn't have a wizard who knew an earth-moving spell, you had to hire excavators (dwarven or otherwise) to even get in the front door.

Which is excellent design! It tells players upfront: this is the kind of bullshit this dungeon will expect from you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Operant's mouse over text posted:

Soon I will be drawing far less characters in these scenes, I assure you.
Fewer.

Although depending on how frisky Allison gets with that blade, he may in fact be drawing less of the same characters.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schwarzwald posted:

IIRC, in the original set-up of the Tomb of Horrors, the actual tomb was buried twenty or so feet below ground. If you didn't have a wizard who knew an earth-moving spell, you had to hire excavators (dwarven or otherwise) to even get in the front door.

Which is excellent design! It tells players upfront: this is the kind of bullshit this dungeon will expect from you.

The original Tomb was also written with the expectation that the Fighter had a small army of like 100 guys who followed him around, because that's what high level Fighters did in older editions.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I can pretty well answer any questions you may have about the original Tomb of Horrors.

This may be my favorite illustration in the book:

It sees a lot of use.

BTW, the entrance was only buried about 10' in loose sand and gravel; "Once an entrance is exposed, it will require about 1 hour for 6 characters working in teams of 3 to thoroughly clear a passage, but a crawl space can be opened in 1 turn by 3 characters digging with swords and hands."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can pretty well answer any questions you may have about the original Tomb of Horrors.

What the gently caress is the guy in purple doing?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Either rebuking undead, or break dancing.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think my favorite thing about Tomb of Horrors is that there is a fake ending room with treasure that vanishes after 30 days assuming you even get to it and back out with it alive and a countdown to instakill the party in 10 rounds after which the book instructs the DM to put the book down and go "how was that? Was that too hard?"

I forget how to get to the real treasure room but it also has some (avoidable, to be fair) complete bullshit in it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

wiegieman posted:

The original Tomb was also written with the expectation that the Fighter had a small army of like 100 guys who followed him around, because that's what high level Fighters did in older editions.
I suddenly want this to be the new incarnation of the doesn't-click-on-monsters skelemancer in some clickfest aRPG.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Isn't that a thing for one of the classes in the K6BD game? Mob Boss or something, and the style of play is to get expendable lackeys to do everything for you, including fight?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Renaissance Robot posted:

Isn't that a thing for one of the classes in the K6BD game? Mob Boss or something, and the style of play is to get expendable lackeys to do everything for you, including fight?

Yep. The Boss, though you get more respect/less chance of rebellion if you go in with your gang and do some of the dirty work yourself.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm gonna bet on it being a power play and the Gold holds the rope for Allison to make it the rest of the way while being all ":smuggo: could've let you drop anytime, human".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It would be a dumb mistake to try and actually murder Allison considering this entire endeavor is to rescue Allison's friend for Allison, and would probably cause Cio to kick her rear end if Allison were to perish.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

It would be a dumb mistake to try and actually murder Allison considering this entire endeavor is to rescue Allison's friend for Allison, and would probably cause Cio to kick her rear end if Allison were to perish.
On the other hand, devils.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Pureauthor posted:

I'm gonna bet on it being a power play and the Gold holds the rope for Allison to make it the rest of the way while being all ":smuggo: could've let you drop anytime, human".
My thoughts exactly.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SunAndSpring posted:

But if Allison dies accidentally due to her own foolishness then they can just grab some treasure and leave. AND they'll have one less share!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Begemot posted:

But if Allison dies accidentally due to her own foolishness then they can just grab some treasure and leave. AND they'll have one less share!

Yea, but you never backstab the mark until after they've done something you couldn't do (typically some sort of obstacle or door), this is Turnabout 101 here.

Then again, I don't think Allison is actually providing anything but the impetus for this little jaunt? Still seems quite a bit early to pull this sort of prank, at least wait until you can throw her in front of a slavering horror as a distraction or something...

So yea, I'm in the "they're just loving with her" camp.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

this is honestly a pretty great prank idea so throw me in that category too

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Aside from being a prank it'd be a good way to see how she handles the sudden pressure of falling towards a pile of perfectly ordinary chairs.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Aside from being a prank it'd be a good way to see how she handles the sudden pressure of falling towards a pile of perfectly ordinary chairs.

But it turns out she handles it with screamingly loud cosmic headbutts that attract the attention of every far more dangerous security system in the place

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

"Haha, yeah, we always trick the new kid on these jobs by sending them to fetch a set of left handed lock picks, or making them think we've betrayed them and are about to dump them in a pit of ravenous monsters. What are you doing with that greatsword? It was just a prank, bro, a prank!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fish Noise posted:

I suddenly want this to be the new incarnation of the doesn't-click-on-monsters skelemancer in some clickfest aRPG.

Next edition D&D just managing your org charts and supply invoices for the 70,000 man army the adventuring party sent charging into some mausoleum to gently caress the lich's poo poo up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I see Alison falling then zapping herself behind gold devil rope dude then shoving his/her/xe's rear end down into the pile of chairs below

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well, poo poo

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

perfectly good excuse to learn how to fly

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
If Allison falls those mimics better copy her. Hundreds of Allison mimics, drooling with exceptional stupidity.

Unless those chairs are just normal chairs in which case lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-6-70/

That bitch.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

which of Aesma's body parts will they name this time :allears:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Yeeeessssssss

Bilirubin posted:

I see Alison falling then zapping herself behind gold devil rope dude then shoving his/her/xe's rear end down into the pile of chairs below
💯

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Quick, effective.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I guess this confirms the Devils don't actually know what the gently caress they're even in here for.

Either way :byewhore:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

drat allison you so fuckin cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Psssh… Nothin Personnel… Kid…