Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

McGavin posted:

Free healthcare
Why bother? Soon enough everybody will be an immortal vampire or sacrificed to make one.

alternatively something, something, death panels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
death panels

Congrats, we've found it, peak Dominions politics.

death panels

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

death panels

Congrats, we've found it, peak Dominions politics.

death panels

Death panels run by the undead. Bonus points if they've forgotten what being alive is like so they're perplexed by things like "starvation" or "disease" or "old age".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this world, the death panels are about approving or denying the desperate still-living's demands to be allowed to die.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Death Panel has a different meaning when it is chaired by literal THE Death.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Making you a free-willed undead is too expensive. As a compromise, you will be raised as a skeleton; you will still be conscious and aware but you won't have any control over what your body does.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMJack posted:

Making you a free-willed undead is too expensive. As a compromise, you will be raised as a skeleton; you will still be conscious and aware but you won't have any control over what your body does.

...and this will legit be a huge improvement over your current situation, so you're gonna take the deal and be glad you did.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Can't be attacked by unending horrors from a place that should not exist if you've been used as living fuel for unholy necromancy! They should be ASKING to be blood slaves.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

plus undead can see in the eternal darkness, so at least you can see. And you can stop worrying about the skyrocketing cost of health care in this economy!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Leperflesh posted:

plus undead can see in the eternal darkness, so at least you can see. And you can stop worrying about the skyrocketing cost of health care in this economy!

Actually in this economy I imagine all the researchers who no longer have magic to research are trying to make ends meet by doing a bit of medical work on the side, and with the mass die-offs the population has already seen the cost should actually be quite reasonable.

The real question is why anyone would want health care instead of longing for the sweet release of death.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Death panels are clearly what solar panels have been replaced with since the sun has gone out.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Still not as bad as that one Pantokrator that held off the other players with threats of Armageddon spam, put up massive PD in his border provinces, converted his economy over to blood hunting and fire/earth gem alchemization, started sending nasty messages to the other players every turn including his allies, then won by tanking his heat scales so badly that people all over the planet were dying of heatstroke in shade with water but died when he tried to ascend because he'd filled the sky with so much garbage that not even space was safe anymore.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Still not as bad as that one Pantokrator that held off the other players with threats of Armageddon spam, put up massive PD in his border provinces, converted his economy over to blood hunting and fire/earth gem alchemization, started sending nasty messages to the other players every turn including his allies, then won by tanking his heat scales so badly that people all over the planet were dying of heatstroke in shade with water but died when he tried to ascend because he'd filled the sky with so much garbage that not even space was safe anymore.

are you talking about america

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Araganzar posted:

If they couldn't ascend then they weren't a Pantokrator

sorry your joke is broken :colbert:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If they couldn't ascend then they weren't a Pantokrator

sorry your joke is broken :colbert:

Sorry that last part was fake news, just like the accusations Bogarus hacked the turn files to increase his dominion. He actually girded himself in all that space junk and became an invincibly-armored Space Pantokrator. His constellation is All the Stars. If you can't see him in the sky it's because your heart isn't pure enough.

I don't actually know what a Pantokrator is, it sounds like something you'd get at Outback Steakhouse.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

The short answer is that it's one of Christian God's many obscure nicknames, and probably the one that speaks most directly to their all-powerful rule of the world.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 5, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pantokrator, in a Dominions context, is "the Pretender that wins a game of Dominions and becomes Capital G God until they vanish and set off a new game of Dominions."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
These ascended deities seem to dissappear way too often. At least the defeated pretenders get prayed back into existence, what would be so bad that a Pantokrator volutarily leaves his throne? Even worse, what could make him leave involuntarily?

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Nevets posted:

These ascended deities seem to dissappear way too often. At least the defeated pretenders get prayed back into existence, what would be so bad that a Pantokrator volutarily leaves his throne? Even worse, what could make him leave involuntarily?

The in-universe explanation is that they grow bored with being omnipotent, then after a while they feel a cosmic "tug" or "pull" or "beacon" that catches their interest and that draws them away forever. Speculation is that this tug is one of the doom horrors "the eater of gods."

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The implication is they get lured out into the void and eaten by horrors.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

TheDemon posted:

At least that's what the existence and fluff for the Eater of Gods implies. I don't think the fluff text goes into great detail on the matter anywhere, so there could well be more to it than JUST that, but it's not what the ascendance wars are concerned with, so who knows.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Pantokrator - ruler of everything.

Until you rule the planet, you're just a pretender.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So the greater backstory is that Earth is a giant lobster tank for trans-dimensional eldritch horrors?

Except the lobsters deliver themselves to be eaten and wreck the tank fighting for the privilege?

I'll go ahead and admit that's pretty Dominions. It might be the most Dominions anything has ever been.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sometimes the lobsters even assemble large bribes of prepared seafood to get the extra-dimensional horrors to reach down and pull out other lobsters they don't like.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It is utterly incredible when you phrase it that way.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Yeah, I'm a big fan of running RPG campaigns in the Dominions world with this conceit in place, its pretty awesome.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I once spent some time trying to make a D&D session with the premise of "it's year 2 in Dominions"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheDemon posted:

It's us. The players. We're the Horrors that keep causing the world of Dominions to repete its endless loop cause we get bored and start another game of the gods.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Istvun posted:

I once spent some time trying to make a D&D session with the premise of "it's year 2 in Dominions"

That's the concept for the Godbound game I'm running right now. :v: I decided that the state of the world was after a game of Dominions, essentially, and now that the Pantokrator's been gone enough, all of the old challengers to the throne that weren't utterly destroyed are waking up and making a mess.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Wannabe godlings loving up the world in their pursuit of power at the expense of literally everything up to and including the stability of reality and the lives of their own worshippers is so compellingly batshit that there are dozens of entire tabletop game systems based around it. Dominions just does one of the better jobs in terms of making a setting that's a massive clusterfuck of different ideologies and myths that, inevitably, gently caress the world up in their attempts to strangle out the competition, and there's only a tiny handful of videogames that even come close to simulating the level of chaos and insanity that Dominions does.

I certainly can't think of any other videogames where you can play as a sentient Fundamental Word of Reality (Flaming Glyph, I think is the chassis name), who summons Cthonic horrors from the void in the hopes of assassinating Baba Yaga. Because that's a plausible series of events in Dominions.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Wannabe godlings loving up the world in their pursuit of power at the expense of literally everything up to and including the stability of reality and the lives of their own worshippers is so compellingly batshit that there are dozens of entire tabletop game systems based around it. Dominions just does one of the better jobs in terms of making a setting that's a massive clusterfuck of different ideologies and myths that, inevitably, gently caress the world up in their attempts to strangle out the competition, and there's only a tiny handful of videogames that even come close to simulating the level of chaos and insanity that Dominions does.

I certainly can't think of any other videogames where you can play as a sentient Fundamental Word of Reality (Flaming Glyph, I think is the chassis name), who summons Cthonic horrors from the void in the hopes of assassinating Baba Yaga. Because that's a plausible series of events in Dominions.

Procedurally generated Armageddon.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
i'm so tired of all these armrogueddonlikes

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Speaking of wannabe godlings...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 109

Turn 109 begins with global messages! Let’s see what we have:

Bogarus has initiated a countdown, interesting. As I believe I mentioned last turn, Ramc said he was planning to try to end the world through Wishing for Armageddon once again, so this countdown is probably that. We’d better prepare for pain, because we cannot win quick enough to prevent him from doing it.

Oh look, a message from Gath. That’s us! :v

Nerd!

I decided to send a thematic global message indicating our impending victory. You can see that we also claimed one of our Thrones this turn (Throne of Elements). I was chatting with the guys on IRC between the turns and it’s pretty clear that there’s no subtlety to what’s going on right now. Everybody knows that our victory is assured, so why play coy? Let’s start claiming Thrones.

Let's throw down!

Nothing particularly interesting happened during the Magic Phase for the turn. Our Disease Demon assassins didn’t kill anything but more Starets and Adepts of the Iron Order in Bogarus. We are going to redirect our assassins towards Bogarus’ province of Nom (the province with the two Discount Sites) because on IRC Ramc indicated that his new Wish caster was located outside of the capitol. I don’t expect to actually stop him, but on the off chance that we got lucky and gibbed the Wish caster it’d be very satisfying.

Let's see what we find in what was the single most valuable province on the entire map.

We threw a Greater Horror at Pangaea’s province of Stone Grave Mountains. Several turns ago we saw that our scouting report indicated that the Eater of the Dead was present there. Well, here he is:

The Eater of the Dead is a fun, flavorful unit. It’s a unique summon, and you have to give it the Gift of Reason to make it a Commander, but if you allow it to consume enough corpses and grow in power (and size!), it can become a real pain in the rear end. The best part is that the Eater of the Dead will, as it’s flavor text indicates, go rogue at some point once it crosses a certain power threshold, and it can very easily kill your own armies once it does so. This Eater is sitting in an otherwise empty province in a staling Empire, so it’s just an interesting sight to see.

We storm Pangaean forts and attack Pangaean provinces. Our tide of Death and Demons rolls ever-onward. We stormed Pangaea’s fort in the Throne province of Witherlands this turn:

Witherlands holds the Throne of the Earth, which allows the recruitment of Gnomes:

They're excellent for breaking into Earth and Nature magic if you don't have it natively!

Pangaea’s Vampires fly out to meet our own head-on:

Vampires meet in the middle, but we have more of them.

Pangaea’s single Lich proves to be devastatingly effective, casting Wither Bones on our Vampires over and over again:

Ouch!

Wither Bones is the premier battlefield spell to use if you want to kill a lot undead Right Now.

Eventually we overwhelm the defenders:

But there’s one surprise remaining! We’d cast Horror Seed on this province ages ago, and apparently one of the commanders still carried the Seed! The Greater Horror apperates and immediately annihilates Pangaea’s Lich:

Then it flies to the very end of our side of the battlefield, looking hungrily at our Vampire Lords. However, repeated casts of Drain Life eliminate the threat, and the fortress is ours!

Vampire Lords rule once again!

So what’s our plan for next turn? We’re storming several forts, including Bogarus’ fort in Scare Hope Wastes. We’ll be sending a cohort of Worms That Walk into that breach.

We’re moving 11 brand new Golems to Bogarus’ capitol. The Sages that are holding the siege are great and all, but it is now time to put something a little bit more robust in place. The Golems should be able to hold against even a full-scale siege-break.

Fresh off the assembly line.

An army of Demons and Se’irim moves from Fom to Great Woods, and will take another Bogarussian province. You can also see that we have Vampires attacking Ockerjab, and there’s a Scout in Faircliff that is going to take that province by himself (no existant PD).

Lords of Hell, bring me victory!

We cracked the gates of the fort in Jhira, so we’re sending a wounded Barbarian through this turn to ping what’s inside:

Brave Hanno the Barbarian goes it alone.

Next turn: Let’s see what Bogarus’ final blow may be.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagine growing up in a post-Ascension War world. Your parents and grandparents are traumatized and everybody keeps breathing a sigh of relief when the sun rises in the morning.

Also every province has been conquered by monsters at least once within living memory.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

But on the bright side, all wars are over for the foreseeable future and nobody is hunting for virgins anymore.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They are if Lanka et al.win though

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
The future after would really depend on who wins. You could be living in the land of plenty telling war stories with your Gnome drinking buddy, or a skeleton working 24/7 at the entrails factory.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

thiswayliesmadness posted:

or a skeleton working 24/7 at the entrails factory.
Eh, it's an unliving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

thiswayliesmadness posted:

The future after would really depend on who wins. You could be living in the land of plenty telling war stories with your Gnome drinking buddy, or a skeleton working 24/7 at the entrails factory.

You say that, but most Dominions games end is something close to an apocalypse as generally there are all sorts of monsters rampaging around the world at the very least.

• Locked thread