Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, quantity is more important than quality when it comes to fighting, in my experience. Past the very early game you're always fighting while dramatically outnumbered so volume of fire is generally more important than accuracy. Joe Sniper Elite who nails every single shot still can't kill more than two or three tribals before they close to melee and beat him to death if he's on his own.

Even super elite power armor troops with charge weapons will get swamped and overwhelmed if they're badly outnumbered, since even power armor won't save you from a lucky couple shots to the head from some pirate's awful heavy SMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, quantity is more important than quality when it comes to fighting, in my experience. Past the very early game you're always fighting while dramatically outnumbered so volume of fire is generally more important than accuracy. Joe Sniper Elite who nails every single shot still can't kill more than two or three tribals before they close to melee and beat him to death if he's on his own.

Even super elite power armor troops with charge weapons will get swamped and overwhelmed if they're badly outnumbered, since even power armor won't save you from a lucky couple shots to the head from some pirate's awful heavy SMG.

Yeah exactly. The best protection in combat seems to be a low pain threshold so people go down before they get hurt too badly. You can then tend to the wounded after the fight.

In fact soldiers with high pain tolerance are a lot more likely to sustain permanent injuries or die because they absorb too many bullets before they go down.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kanos posted:

Yeah, quantity is more important than quality when it comes to fighting, in my experience.

Agreed, but I like using at least ten mortar emplacements to start a battle. Quantity of artillery > quantity of conscripts.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Slung Blade posted:

Agreed, but I like using at least ten mortar emplacements to start a battle. Quantity of artillery > quantity of conscripts.

gently caress yes artillery rocks and can stop an attack even before they get to the ramparts.

It's fun watching a tribal raid all "hi ho!" and then a volley later 2/3 of them are dead and the rest are running away in panic with severe explosive damage to all limbs and a few hours left to live from bleeding.

I always imagine them getting two map squares out before they all die.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Why do you even bother with armor then? Just get more conscripts, give them cheap rifles and no armor, and send them into battle.

If W40K has taught as anything, it's that giving normal idiots any kind of useful equipment is a waste.

My forces are usually a mix of of poor sods with awful guns backed up by a few super bionic soldiers in powerarmor, chewing through friends and enemies alike with miniguns and explosives.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Michaellaneous posted:

Why do you even bother with armor then? Just get more conscripts, give them cheap rifles and no armor, and send them into battle.

If W40K has taught as anything, it's that giving normal idiots any kind of useful equipment is a waste.

My forces are usually a mix of of poor sods with awful guns backed up by a few super bionic soldiers in powerarmor, chewing through friends and enemies alike with miniguns and explosives.

Mainly because the armor is cheap and the armor +helmet icon helps me tell the difference between useful colonists (master doctor, cooks, craftsmen) and the regular people.

My colony is split up between specific professionals and then general population. The military helmets helps tell them apart.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dejawesp posted:

Mainly because the armor is cheap and the armor +helmet icon helps me tell the difference between useful colonists (master doctor, cooks, craftsmen) and the regular people.

My colony is split up between specific professionals and then general population. The military helmets helps tell them apart.

I really appreciate that in this apparently innocuous post you reveal that your hell forts have an entrenched and brutal caste system :allears:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Any good 'armory' mods which will let you easily switch to a combat suit? Right now I'm using outfits but it's tedious to change everyone's outfit during a raid.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mister Adequate posted:

I really appreciate that in this apparently innocuous post you reveal that your hell forts have an entrenched and brutal caste system :allears:

Didn't you see the screenshots? Doctors have separate double-bed sleeping quarters, As do the chefs, gardeners and craftsmen. Everyone else sleeps in the barracks. Unless a commoner is in a relationship with the skilled colonists. Then they can sleep in their quarters.

When the colony is under attack the regular colonists grab a rifle and man the ramparts. The skilled gardeners, chefs and craftsmen man the artillery deep inside the base where they are safe, while the doctors are on standby to collect prisoners.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Michaellaneous posted:

Unless you have an extremely old and established colony, even lovely low skill colonists are worth investing a little bit of material to keep alive with armor. The only time colonists are worthless is if they have traits that either actively harm your colony(pyromania) or refuse to do actual useful stuff.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I just got a late game raid from tribals and have decided to take a page from Deja's book. I'm harvesting from each of the 16 captures their noses, both ears, one kidney, one lung, and their jaw. Unfortunately they dislike this so I'll have to amputate their legs first.

Edit: The Good Doctor is going to be high on wake-up the entire time he's doing this too. I actually named him "The Good Doctor." Before this latest venture capitalism.

Edit: Ironically, I can't use Herbal medicine as I have already converted it all over to regular medicine. Good thing I got 258 of the things, since it takes 4 medicines to "install" and then remove a peg leg.

Edit: Ran out of wood so we have to re-use the same peg legs. I wonder what the real world odds are that people pawns get communicable diseases from this?

Edit: It's 110 Degrees Farenheit in these cubes.

Edit: I just realized that so long as the heat doesn't KILL them, it's really just saving me time and trouble incapacitating them.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 6, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I did a super disgustingly sloppy hack job inside EPOE to create a replacement spine that just does nothing, for when I have enough weed that everyone can ride out the organ harvesting bonus without getting upset. Sometimes I feel like a jerk, but those kidneys are paying for the uranium to build nuclear reactors. Dagon doesn't care if his sacrifices are missing organs.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

GodspeedSphere posted:

I just got a late game raid from tribals and have decided to take a page from Deja's book. I'm harvesting from each of the 16 captures their noses, both ears, one kidney, one lung, and their jaw. Unfortunately they dislike this so I'll have to amputate their legs first.

Edit: The Good Doctor is going to be high on wake-up the entire time he's doing this too. I actually named him "The Good Doctor." Before this latest venture capitalism.

Edit: Ironically, I can't use Herbal medicine as I have already converted it all over to regular medicine. Good thing I got 258 of the things, since it takes 4 medicines to "install" and then remove a peg leg.

Edit: Ran out of wood so we have to re-use the same peg legs. I wonder what the real world odds are that people pawns get communicable diseases from this?

Edit: It's 110 Degrees Farenheit in these cubes.

Repeatedly installing and removing peg legs until the subject expires is an excellent way to train your doctors. Especially if you have patients to spare :science:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

Repeatedly installing and removing peg legs until the subject expires is an excellent way to train your doctors. Especially if you have patients to spare :science:

"Is that anesthetic?"

"...yeah."

"It looks like grass clippings."

"Yep."

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Warmachine posted:

"Is that anesthetic?"

"...yeah."

"Yep."

This could quite possibly be the best game ever.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've started playing this again with the Cult mod and while the ability to give pawns psychic powers and the psychopath trait is great how has nobody mentioned the Transmogrify Pets spell? It triples the size and thus health of any pet, so right now my main defence force is a pack of bear-sized huskies backed up by turrets. They're so tough I don't even need to worry about friendly fire from the turrets and since they have so much health they pretty much always go down to pain instead of dying. I even had one survive a sniper shot to the heart.

Also I should probably start incapping my prisoners. Since I'm feeding them cosmic horror meat they keep going insane and breaking, and since high levels of insanity reduce pain they almost always either kill each other or die to my wardens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How do you specify what your prisoners eat? Or is just everyone yummying down on forbidden knowledge, I'm not judging I've been there

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Danaru posted:

How do you specify what your prisoners eat? Or is just everyone yummying down on forbidden knowledge, I'm not judging I've been there
If you put a storage for a particular mealtype in there (or a nutrient paste dispenser) the prisoners will feed themselves.

If you leave the check for "receives food" on then they'll get whatever the warden feels like bringing them, the logic of which is no different from whatever the warden chooses to eat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh, right, I was hoping there was a mod for it or something :( If you incapacitate your prisoners, the wardens will feed them with whatever they have on hand, since they can't get up and get the food themselves. Usually it's whatever the warden was carrying to eat later.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

"Is that anesthetic?"

"...yeah."

"Yep."

"It's real simple. First you stuff their mouth full with grass clippings, then you punch them about two or three times right in the jaw. Haven't heard any complaints yet."

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Danaru posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887716138&searchtext=better+food

Doesn't let you specifically set what food, but gives you options one of which is worst food first for prisoners.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The muffalo. Him eat twenty seven Hay per day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Omnicarus posted:

Yeah, but grass is free. I usually find a choke point or two around my dwarf fort and fence in a gently caress-off huge area that I keep wild animals out of and just let all my animals eat free stuff. It's like alchemy, worthless grass that would do nothing for me gets turned into lavish food ingredients, or baby animals which also get turned into lavish food ingredients, and pack animals for caravans.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Rimworld: Prison architect in space

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Omnicarus posted:

A newly hatched chick eats an human sized meal :shrug:

Even if it's actually made of humans!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Haven't played this for awhile and just started again. The wiki says you can eat/cook fertilized and unfertilized eggs the same, but I can't get my cook to use eggs in any way. They're right nearby in the stockpile, unforbidden, but if eggs are the only unforbidden food he cannot cook a simple meal. Did the wiki like about fertilized eggs?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No, just add a job to the stove, "cook egg", it's separate for whatever reason.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Dropship mod OWNS. Like really hard.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.300
It has it own balance and risks, and it's not just a free advantage you get over the ai. loving owns.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been playing the cult mod for a little bit, and a monolith appeared a while ago to start the whole cult thing off. Do monoliths do anything else?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

counterfeitsaint posted:

Haven't played this for awhile and just started again. The wiki says you can eat/cook fertilized and unfertilized eggs the same, but I can't get my cook to use eggs in any way. They're right nearby in the stockpile, unforbidden, but if eggs are the only unforbidden food he cannot cook a simple meal. Did the wiki like about fertilized eggs?
Are they in the checked list of allowed foods for what you're cooking in the bill details? By default fertilized eggs are disabled (along with human/insect meat)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

A Moose posted:

I've been playing the cult mod for a little bit, and a monolith appeared a while ago to start the whole cult thing off. Do monoliths do anything else?

Not really. Small beauty boost, that's about it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

A Moose posted:

If you lose your spooky book you can send a colonist to investigate the monolith to get another one. They'll still suffer the usual big mood penalty and insanity bump though.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

A Moose posted:

They're a powerless light that adds beauty, otherwise no, nothing special. It would be nice if they held up roofs or something so I could use more of them in my temple.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just ran into a glitch, I tried to make a "sizable" offering of plants, and my colonists just got bored and ignored it. I'll click the "offering" button and they'll run over to the altar, pick up one of the potatoes already there, put it down, and then immediately walk away and do literally anything else. I've tried changing the colonist to make the offering, it just broke.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

McGiggins posted:

Dropship mod OWNS. Like really hard.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.300
It has it own balance and risks, and it's not just a free advantage you get over the ai. loving owns.

I feel really dumb because I can't seem to install this mod despite the super simple "shove everything in the mod folder". I've done the mod folder and within the mod core files as well replace certain like-name folders around the rimworld game files, none of that seemed to work.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's really odd. I've also had problems with manual mod installation with this game in the past, but for me this mod was extract > paste > enable. Easy peazy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A Moose posted:

Just ran into a glitch, I tried to make a "sizable" offering of plants, and my colonists just got bored and ignored it. I'll click the "offering" button and they'll run over to the altar, pick up one of the potatoes already there, put it down, and then immediately walk away and do literally anything else. I've tried changing the colonist to make the offering, it just broke.

Are you able to trade with any other groups when they visit?

I had this sort of problem, it turned out I had some kind of glitched item invisible in my stockpile. Turn on dev mode, zoom in on your screen, and move the visible portion around (it should log an error log message when the glitched invisible thing is within your visible space) until you can narrow down where it is and delete it.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Slung Blade posted:

Are you able to trade with any other groups when they visit?

I had this sort of problem, it turned out I had some kind of glitched item invisible in my stockpile. Turn on dev mode, zoom in on your screen, and move the visible portion around (it should log an error log message when the glitched invisible thing is within your visible space) until you can narrow down where it is and delete it.

Oh yeah I had the same problem, that was fun to figure out. I basically never turn dev mode off anymore just because I want to know when mod stuff goes wrong.

Speaking of stuff going wrong I just found out in a 3 year colony that Psychology breaks the Unspeakable Oath spell from the Cults mod. The spell specifically references the vanilla pawn type and since Psychology has its own pawn type when it actually tries to revive the pawn it just gives an error. RIP Minoru, preacher with 20 social and an advanced bionic jaw, your brain was too complex to be a zombie.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dire Lemming posted:

Oh yeah I had the same problem, that was fun to figure out. I basically never turn dev mode off anymore just because I want to know when mod stuff goes wrong.

Speaking of stuff going wrong I just found out in a 3 year colony that Psychology breaks the Unspeakable Oath spell from the Cults mod. The spell specifically references the vanilla pawn type and since Psychology has its own pawn type when it actually tries to revive the pawn it just gives an error. RIP Minoru, preacher with 20 social and an advanced bionic jaw, your brain was too complex to be a zombie.

That's an easy fix! Notify the cult mod guy and ask him to change it from class==Pawn to Pawn.isAssignableFrom(class)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Is there anywhere that has more detailed information (a mini wiki perhaps) about the cults mod or EPOE? For example I just bought an aux AI but I'm missing parts to install it. Also an overview of the sacrifice spells would be cool. Just little questions.