Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Ah yes, the famous technique of sea-lioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Boatswain posted:

Ah yes, the famous technique of sea-lioning.

In fairness that's actually a thing that people have accused others of doing, and it's particularly popular amongst people who also say "mansplaining".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Definitely a thing. Insincere questions of banal and uninteresting points is exhausting and completely characteristic of idiots who think they're smarter than everyone around them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In fairness that's actually a thing that people have accused others of doing, and it's particularly popular amongst people who also say "mansplaining".

It's a good term for it, ya doofus. It's feigned politeness and requests for effort designed to get the other person to shut up. Pittsburgh Lambic, on this forum, is a master of the form. "Look, I know he cited dodgy statistics claiming to show that black people are inherently inferior to white people and stuck by those stats when they were proven to be false, but do you have four other examples of him being explicitly racist?"

E: Comic here, reposted:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know, that guy sounds like a douche, but you could just like, not drag drama from some other place on the forum to this thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

It's a good term for it, ya doofus. It's feigned politeness and requests for effort designed to get the other person to shut up. Pittsburgh Lambic, on this forum, is a master of the form. "Look, I know he cited dodgy statistics claiming to show that black people are inherently inferior to white people and stuck by those stats when they were proven to be false, but do you have four other examples of him being explicitly racist?"

I didn't say it wasn't a real thing that douchebags do, just that it's a real term used by people who are often douchebags diametrically opposed to other douchebags.

It's douchebags all the way down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know, that guy sounds like a douche, but you could just like, not drag drama from some other place on the forum to this thread.

If we're discussing other SA posters now, here's an example of a Trump supporter pulling a variant of the "admitting you know about things means you lose" argument.

Trump.mp4 posted:

So you keep saying this but if he is impeached and not removed from office couldn't he? Not too familiar with the rules of impeachment because I'm not masturbating to them 24/7 like you guys pretending this will ever happen.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't say it wasn't a real thing that douchebags do, just that it's a real term used by people who are often douchebags diametrically opposed to other douchebags.

Yes, there is also the useless douchebag POV to consider.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Does St Rev actually do anything aside from post on Twitter?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Does St Rev actually do anything aside from post on Twitter?

no. used to be a math lecturer or professor and his alma mater was one of the most libertarian universities; the university of chicago (home to chicago school and neoliberalism). i don't think he does much more now than posting terrible opinions on twitter.

he's also terribly hypocritical, calls himself an anarchist and claims to be against the government, but finds a way to ignore or even justify every lovely thing the trump administration has done while saving the strongest criticism for anti-trump people (because they're antifa sjws etc.)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its not the hypocrisy that bothers me, its just the grand narratives that he spins about message boards and online culture. Its like hes taken the Frankfurt School conspiracy theory and pushed it even further away from reality.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

He seems to be one of those people who were stupid even before the internet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Samovar posted:

He seems to be one of those people who were stupid even before the internet.

What you have to understand is that his moral compass has this giant flaw where "Person makes a normative statement on a left-wing basis" registers as "worse than sexual assault"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I have sometimes thought about the potentially devastating effects that Twitter eggs are having on criticism by teaching an entire generation of critics that all ostensible attempts at civil conversation are actually feints for harassment.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

I've never heard of it but oh well.

Gorn Myson posted:

Its not the hypocrisy that bothers me, its just the grand narratives that he spins about message boards and online culture. Its like hes taken the Frankfurt School conspiracy theory and pushed it even further away from reality.

What is the Frankfurt School conspiracy theory?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Boatswain posted:

What is the Frankfurt School conspiracy theory?

Literal Nazi propaganda. Basically some dudes in Frankfurt after WWI decided to apply a Marxist analytical method to cultural phenomena, and then fascists heard about it and turned it into a vast conspiracy by all of academia to destroy Western Culture (tm) and clear a path for total social domination by gay mixed-race Jewish Communists.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is it still going around? Adorno & crew aren't exactly in vogue as they once were.

E: I mean Nazis tying "Cultural Marxism" explicitly to the Frankfurt School?

Boatswain has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Aug 6, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

So in the DE milieu Adorno never went of fashion. These are people who encourage reading of Carlyle and Burke, they're not modern or God forbid, post-modern. Because of the degeneracy and such.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have sometimes thought about the potentially devastating effects that Twitter eggs are having on criticism by teaching an entire generation of critics that all ostensible attempts at civil conversation are actually feints for harassment.

That's not what sealioning is.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Boatswain posted:

Is it still going around? Adorno & crew aren't exactly in vogue as they once were.

Do you hear jazz on top 40 radio stations much anymore? No? That's Adorno's handiwork, you can be sure of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Paul Nuttall, the current leader of UKIP, was talking about it as recently as 2015.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I was quite pleased to see Yonatan Zunger (who is generally a pretty good guy), whose job it used to be to deal with this sort of fuckwittery, outlining just how this sort of thing actually goes in practice at Google (which Zunger can say now, 'cos he's recently left Google). And why dude just proved himself a failed bozo at engineering.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Yeah I did some cursory research and it seems to be very much in Nazi-fashion.

Goon Danton posted:

Do you hear jazz on top 40 radio stations much anymore? No? That's Adorno's handiwork, you can be sure of it.

I never listen to the radio :3:

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

divabot posted:

I was quite pleased to see Yonatan Zunger (who is generally a pretty good guy), whose job it used to be to deal with this sort of fuckwittery, outlining just how this sort of thing actually goes in practice at Google (which Zunger can say now, 'cos he's recently left Google). And why dude just proved himself a failed bozo at engineering.

Thanks for posting that! I saw the original manifesto and was hoping to see a rebuttal from inside Google. That was better than I could have hoped for.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Thanks for posting that! I saw the original manifesto and was hoping to see a rebuttal from inside Google. That was better than I could have hoped for.

I'm really sad that we lost him - his internal response would have been about that high-quality, and the next time this happens he probably won't be close enough to the situation to say things like this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm really sad that we lost him - his internal response would have been about that high-quality, and the next time this happens he probably won't be close enough to the situation to say things like this.

Matthew Garrett (Googler, Ph.D in genetics from Cambridge) poses the obvious question:

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894258610670247936

Oh, and it turns out to be more on-topic than you might have thought - even /r/slatestarcodex have noticed the manifesto was basically cribbed from a Scott post.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boatswain posted:

Sargon and John Jafari talk about it in their joint video

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

divabot posted:

Oh, and it turns out to be more on-topic than you might have thought - even /r/slatestarcodex have noticed the manifesto was basically cribbed from a Scott post.

lmao, who could have guessed it. i wonder if scott will ever realize that he's become the darling of every reactionary anti-feminist in tech.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

divabot posted:

Matthew Garrett (Googler, Ph.D in genetics from Cambridge) poses the obvious question:

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894258610670247936

Purge 'em all, imo. Also jesus the comments on that medium post are like the essence of SSC arguing in bad faith / believing being intellectual sounding is a substitute for having an actual argument.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A Man With A Plan posted:

Purge 'em all, imo. Also jesus the comments on that medium post are like the essence of SSC arguing in bad faith / believing being intellectual sounding is a substitute for having an actual argument.

To be super-nice to Scott, the comments on /r/slatestarcodex are the comments that aren't really allowed on SSC proper any more. To be less nice, these are his fans without the filters on.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

divabot posted:

To be super-nice to Scott,

No.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Someone has to or else it'll summon cingulate.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

quote:

So basically like Jews in the Weimar Republic and the Third Reich? Always keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Mm, yes, directly comparable situations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I'm a little steelman,
Smart + self-taught.
Here is my bailey
And here's my motte.

When I get all steamed up,
Hear me blog!
Respect my phyg
And :goshawk: my :smug:.

🤖: 🎶:biotruths:🎵

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Scott thanks the manifesto writer for not including his name. That said, he suggests:

the most liberal guy you know posted:

And if you're reading this - sorry, huge respect for what you're trying, but it's pretty doomed. The best hope is a Fabian strategy of making sure enough there's enough of an underground of people who know what's up that they can quietly self-sort, form bubbles of liveability, and curb the worst excesses without forming a clear target for anybody. If you actually go riding in on a white horse waving a paper marked "ANTI-DIVERSITY MANIFESTO", you're just providing justification for the next round of purges.

i.e. "let's form a misogynist underground to get around the oppressive forces of HR!"

Of course his fans understand the full extent of the sinister tendrils of Gramscian corruption:

quote:

People say in emails that "We all agree that it's ok to punch Nazis, ...". People circulate petitions about banning all Nazi's from our platform, and then in a footnote, they define a Nazi as anyone they would describe as "alt-right".

genders: two
racists: ahahaha that's a spectrum buddy

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Grace Baiting posted:

I'm a little steelman,
Smart + self-taught.
Here is my bailey
And here's my motte.

When I get all steamed up,
Hear me blog!
Respect my phyg
And :goshawk: my :smug:.

🤖: 🎶:biotruths:🎵

:iia:

I feel like I"m seeing a lot of these guys call themselves individualists now.

If there is any motte and bailey going on, it's them. They retreat into individualism to deny any collective argument they don't like. At the same time they can shore up anything they do like as supporting of individualism (especially "dirversity"). And individualism is an unassailable collective good because :911:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
in any other industry whatsoever, this would be "clear your desk" levels of creating a hostile workplace. But, welcome to Google:

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894434681692631040

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894462842694385664

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

divabot posted:

in any other industry whatsoever, this would be "clear your desk" levels of creating a hostile workplace. But, welcome to Google:

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894434681692631040

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/894462842694385664

gently caress Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress Google.

I have a shitload of friends at Google who are deeply upset about this and, I'm pleased to say, making a loving lot of public noise about it. That said, I'm still waiting for more in public than the present non-response from the higher echelons so far.