Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes.

(Read my username)

Not all bunnies taste like doom or hell, are even all that scary tbh. Most of them are really tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh come the gently caress on. Even in the 60s I would've looked at my grandma like she was a loving loon if she tried to serve us this disaster

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Haifisch posted:

A lot of people view horses as pets instead of work animals, so they mentally treat them more like cats and dogs than livestock. Which is stupid because horses are skittish morons & take the GDP of an island nation to keep as pets, but hey.

Content:

Probably tastes fine, but those aren't deviled eggs. :colbert:
I want to know more about this. What are they? Why did they call it deviled eggs?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

NorgLyle posted:

I want to know more about this. What are they? Why did they call it deviled eggs?

quote:

For 4 people you need:
Creole rice:
1 small onion, peeled
1 stalk celery
1 small green sweet pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup mushrooms
3/4 cup rice
1 1/2 cups stock
seasoning

Eggs and sauce:
4 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cups tomato juice
salt
1 teaspoon made mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
pinch brown sugar

1. Chop onion coarsely with celery and pepper, removing core and seeds.

2. Fry in the butter for 5 minutes without browning.

3. Add sliced mushrooms and rice, cook for further 4 minutes, add stock.

4. Cover pan, cook for 20 minutes or until no moisture remains. Season well.

5. Meanwhile hard-cook the eggs and make the sauce.

6. Melt the butter, stir in flour, cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat.

7. Gradually blend in tomato juice, simmer until thickened, add remaining ingredients, and cook for 5-10 minutes. Season well.

TO SERVE: Put rice into a hot dish, top with halved shelled eggs. Pour sauce over or serve separately.

TO VARY: If green pepper is not available, use canned pimiento. Omit mushrooms and add chopped bacon.
As far as I can tell the nearest genetic link to real deviled eggs is the mustard.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Even in the 60s I would've looked at my grandma like she was a loving loon if she tried to serve us this disaster

Weight Watchers food isn't stuff you're supposed to make other people eat, really. They have different recipes now, but it's still not stuff you'd give other people.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I.C. posted:

Weight Watchers food isn't stuff you're supposed to make other people eat, really. They have different recipes now, but it's still not stuff you'd give other people.

I think everyone has someone in their extended family who has made wildly dumb decisions about what to serve visiting relatives

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Surely donkey isn't that bad?

Donkey is great, it's fairly common over here in China. It's usually smoked and cured though so hard to go wrong with that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Goat is delicious. About halfway between beef and lamb in taste, I'd say. Definitely worth trying.

The grocery store where I work sells frozen camel meat, which I'd love to try, but it's pretty pricey.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

If you've never tried goat, try goat.

Things I want to try at least once:

Horse
Donkey
Cat
Dog
Squirrel
Pigeon
Monkey
Turtle
Frog

Things i could actually buy tomorrow:
Turtle
Frog

My life is a lie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've only had jarred camel because how do you see a jar of camel and not buy it. It wasn't great. But it was in a jar so not fair to judge.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Missing Name posted:

Horse
Donkey
Cat
Dog
Squirrel
Pigeon
Monkey
Turtle
Frog

Turtle
Frog

My life is a lie.

If you are trying to eat every animal on the Chinese zodiac, I think you will find it hard to acquire dragon meat.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yeah, good luck. A Komodo's more likely to eat you before you eat it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Missing Name posted:

Horse
Donkey
Cat
Dog
Squirrel
Pigeon
Monkey
Turtle
Frog

Turtle
Frog

Horse is okay but nothing special, donkey is good, cat I have heard tastes awful but I'm not going to try it, dog is bad, squirrel I haven't tried, pigeon is great, monkey I won't eat, turtle I didn't care for, frog is good. The way they barbecue frog in Cambodia is my favorite method for it, see if you can find a recipe.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Jesus loving christ. Satan, get thee behind me.

Seriously, what the gently caress? Crumbled toasted white bread...crust? Is that even a crust? There's no thickener.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Binging With Babish just did durian in the Breath of the Wild cooking show. Also, goat butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtpaBOkvrA

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
You know what's not good? Possum meat is not good. You'd think squirrel would be gamier but it's really not-- possum just has this revolting flavor going on that reminds me of opening a drawer in some long-abandoned back bedroom and finding a squirming nest of pink baby mice and just breathing in that sickly sweet stench. And people always seem to want to stew it, which means that every last ounce of potatoes and carrots and squash and whatever is marinated to the core with that foul, greasy flavor.

Snake is p good if grilled right, but it never is.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Missing Name posted:

Horse
Donkey
Cat
Dog
Squirrel
Pigeon
Monkey
Turtle
Frog

Turtle
Frog

My life is a lie.

Things I have tried:
Horse
Cat
Dog
Whale, still don't actually know what kind
Silkworms natch
Cockroach
Tarantula
Had locusts with some kosher-keeping dudes. Normatively, people don't know the species of locust given to be kosher so they were forbidden, but they just did it
Balut
Sannakji
Some kinds of still-living fish
Frog (french and chinese prep)
Snails (french, korean, chinese prep)
Durian like a dozen ways
Two kinds of fermented skate
Hakarl
Surstromming
Opossum
Alligator
Kangaroo (jerky)
Camel (canned like Grand Fromage)
Pigeon
Cazu marzu (maggots killed)

Cazu marzu (still alive)
More kinds of still-living fish
Salama da sugo ( http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=232&resolution=high - this guys site is a pro click)
Pressed duck (http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=13&resolution=high) with genuine $10 grand duck press
Donkey
Monkey
Turtle
Squirrel
Apparently you can eat seahorses? And there are some that you can get ethically?
Snake
Cuy
Birds nest soup, the kind that's vaguely ethical
Lol there's never going to be an ethical way to get shark fin soup is there
I guess I'm ok with never having it

curufinor has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Aug 5, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

elise the great posted:

You know what's not good? Possum meat is not good. You'd think squirrel would be gamier but it's really not-- possum just has this revolting flavor going on that reminds me of opening a drawer in some long-abandoned back bedroom and finding a squirming nest of pink baby mice and just breathing in that sickly sweet stench. And people always seem to want to stew it, which means that every last ounce of potatoes and carrots and squash and whatever is marinated to the core with that foul, greasy flavor.

Possum meat demands a lot of soaking before and throwing away of the soaked water. It tastes fine if you soak it in brine, similar to tripe

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

elise the great posted:

You've never been around a dead rattler, a grill, and me at the same time.

Raccoon isn't bad either, but it is one of those make or break, if you can cook it it is good, and if you can't, don't even try style of meats.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
also the stew is because if you're eating possum you tend to be poor as gently caress, so you need to stretch that possum as far as it will go. not any taste thing

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Whooping Crabs posted:

If you are trying to eat every animal on the Chinese zodiac, I think you will find it hard to acquire dragon meat.
There is a company "Welsh Dragon sausages" who had to add a disclaimer that their pork snags didn't have any dragon in them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

curufinor posted:

Things I have tried:

Well, since we're sharing.

I've had:
Antelope
Shark
Goat
Bison
Venison
Possibly Rabbit (was told it was chicken but the friend of my ex who was cooking was definitely the type to sneak a food type in that someone said they couldn't/wouldn't eat)
Lamb
Alligator
Goose
Duck

For the foods I'm curious to try, I'm open to try anything that I've not had as a pet so that would be Cat, Dog, Rabbit, Toad/Frog, Guinea Pig, and Rat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Missing Name posted:

Horse
Donkey
Cat
Dog
Squirrel
Pigeon
Monkey
Turtle
Frog

Turtle
Frog

My life is a lie.

I'd recommend against frogs. Too gristly.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've had camel burgers at a remote outback place in Kings Canyon, Australia and it was really good.
Crocodile is pretty good too, very lean, tastes like a fishy chicken and is good in stir frys.
We had Cuy in Peru, it's good, nothing special though.
Goat is fantastic in curries because it needs a long slow cook to tenderise it otherwise it can be a fatty and chewy.
Rabbit is great, had it in the UK, Italy and Aus. I can actually get some from the supermarket now if I wanted.
Kangaroo is very lean but very tasty as long as you cook it medium rare.
Venison is like a gamey beef and can be used a few ways depending on the cut.
I feel sorry for America if lamb is not a regular meat, it's my favourite meat and again different cuts are good for different methods of cooking, like backstrap is great done medium rare, while shoulder or leg are good for stews and curries.

Organ meats and offal are quite trendy in Australia at the high end restaurants, so we've had deep fried pigs ear in one place and brains in another. Brains were good, pigs ear was just crispy and a bit chewy but made for a good textural garnish.

Helith has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Aug 5, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've had shark which I just being more rubbery than having a particular taste to it.
Gummy shark (flake) is the most common fish at Australian fish and chip shops. It's pretty low-flavour but pleasant and not at all rubbery.

angerbeet posted:

One night they served rabbit (i want to say cacciatore) and people lost their poo poo.
Do people not consider rabbit normal meat?

Grand Fromage posted:

I've only had jarred camel because how do you see a jar of camel and not buy it. It wasn't great. But it was in a jar so not fair to judge.
I've eaten camel burgers. They just tasted like burgers.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish I could get camel and alligator and snake and all these other cool meats where I live. :smith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Helith posted:

I feel sorry for America if lamb is not a regular meat,

It is. It's right there in the cold section next to the beef, pork, chicken, and turkey.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

curufinor posted:

Things I have tried:
Silkworm snatch

bruh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda adorable that people think that lamb, goose and duck is some kinda weird exotic food.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Whale (just throwing it out there)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a place near me("near" being literally in another country, but that's Europe for you) that does absolutely insane Pi Pa duck. It's fun to be able to say that I've travelled abroad for the express purpose of eating a certain dish. Obviously I can also get duck here, but nowhere near as well prepared.

Snakes and alligators and such are totally unheard of here though which is a pity.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you can buy camel meat real easy in minnesota

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/02/02/512701346/the-long-slow-trek-to-get-americans-to-eat-camel-meat

maybe ill go have a camel burg today. i still haven't tried it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chocolate extract? :pwn:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

We raise rabbits for food at home and I'm not sure what the big deal is as far as eating them. Very mild, firm white meat. Low in fat so cooking low and slow is good, or in stews and soups. We also have a fairly sizeable groundhog infestation because we live in bumfuck rural Pennsylvania. This leads to the occasional groundhog stews, as my wife and I think it's a waste to kill them and not make use of them. The groundhog has a very dark red meat but is fairly inoffensive as well, somewhere between chicken and beef in flavor and texture. It's basically just a big ground squirrel so if you make sure you get all the organs out cleanly (the lungs like to hide WAY UP IN THERE) it is actually good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"Not stuff" indeed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/kisectx.gifv

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

when someone asks what "degloving" means

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tiggum posted:

Gummy shark (flake) is the most common fish at Australian fish and chip shops. It's pretty low-flavour but pleasant and not at all rubbery.

Do people not consider rabbit normal meat?

It's possible it was rubbery from the way it was cooked. I wasn't put off enough to say I wouldn't try it again. Case in point, never had catfish growing up and when I finally did, it was in a fish fry and it was awful. There was no taste beyond this tongue-wrenching gaminess and overcooked cornmeal breading. Each time I had it after that, still the tongue-wrenching gaminess to where just thinking about it made me queasy. It wasn't until moving out here and talking with a co-worker who was from the Deep South that suggested that the person who was cooking it just didn't know how to cook it and that's why it was so awful. He even brought me some from when he had a barbecue and it was like a different fish altogether the taste was so much better. Lesson learned: My ex-husband can't cook catfish to save his rear end.

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda adorable that people think that lamb, goose and duck is some kinda weird exotic food.

I probably should've clarified that they weren't so much exotic but very rare to come across where I grew up unless you had family that went out and hunted or had a farm. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I got to try these. Even with rabbit, only way we had rabbit meat was because my paternal grandpa raised some for food. But then in my old neighborhood, we still had people who remembered the only way you could get traditional Italian cooking staples like olive oil and garlic was making a trip back to Little Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That "homemade Butterfingers" thing is absolutely disgusting. I mean, none of those "recipes" are great, but that one made me mad and a little sick to my stomach. Melted candy corn and peanut butter? :barf:

I'm sure the texture is absolutely spot on, too. For reference: