Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Last night I watched the Vudu copy of Pulp Fiction that came with the Bluray because I was too lazy to get up. It had some bullshit CG Miramax logo instead of the awesome 90s blue glowy one, and I could swear it was sourced from some 1080i copy. Aliasing all over the god drat place. Boo digital copy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Are the Kino Lorber discs usually region locked?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Latest Masters of Cinema announcement:

Buster Keaton: Three Films - Oct 16
Includes Sherlock Jr, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr

- 3-disc Blu-Ray set with 60 page book in hardbound slipcase
- New 4K restorations
- Music scores on The General and Steamboat Bill, Jr. by Carl Davis
- Music score on Sherlock Jr. by Timothy Brock
- Audio commentary on Sherlock Jr. by David Kalat
- Three new video interviews with film scholar Peter Kramer on each film
- Buster Keaton: The Genius Destroyed by Hollywood (52 mins)
- Buster Keaton on Wagon Train - audio interview with Keaton by Bill Cox (58 min)
- Sherlock Jr. tour of filming locations
- Sherlock Jr: Movie Magic and Mysteries featurette
- Introductions by Orson Welles and Gloria Swanson on The General
- Steamboat Bill Jr making-of video essay

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my Kino Lorber order today. Really impressed with how fast it was shipped considering it was a sale. I can't believe how sharp Daredevils of the Red Circle looks. I'm not used to a Republic serial looking like it was shot yesterday. Wow.

Also, Amazon has the 4K restored My Fair Lady for $12 right now. Not a huge fan of the film, but I can't resist high quality 65mm restorations. The new restoration was from new 8K scans of the 65mm camera negative, color separations, and interpositive with a complete 4K workflow for the restoration. Also, I think most of the film-based extras were remastered in HD for the release. Trip report when it arrives.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
that Keaton set looks very appealing, but I already have both the Kino set of his movies and the MoC of his short films so I'll sit this one out. (plus his best feature was The Navigator anyway.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is the Kino set likely to be region free and how much would it be?

This might make me get a multiregion Blu player.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Egbert Souse posted:

Got my Kino Lorber order today. Really impressed with how fast it was shipped considering it was a sale. I can't believe how sharp Daredevils of the Red Circle looks. I'm not used to a Republic serial looking like it was shot yesterday. Wow.

Also, Amazon has the 4K restored My Fair Lady for $12 right now. Not a huge fan of the film, but I can't resist high quality 65mm restorations. The new restoration was from new 8K scans of the 65mm camera negative, color separations, and interpositive with a complete 4K workflow for the restoration. Also, I think most of the film-based extras were remastered in HD for the release. Trip report when it arrives.

I just bought My Fair Lady. It's great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Is the Kino set likely to be region free and how much would it be?

This might make me get a multiregion Blu player.

Kino's distribution of the Douris, now Cohen Media catalog ended early this year. As a result, they're only able to distribute the public domain films, which are the short films, Three Ages, College, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr. Lobster Films did 2K restorations of all the public domain stuff, but they're inferior to the materials Cohen holds. Also, the MoC set is part of a larger project of Cohen's to restore all of Keaton's silent features (minus The Cameraman and Spite Marriage) in 4K. Cohen distributes their own releases here, while they license to MoC, Arrow, and BFI in the UK.

I'd expect the US Keatons to be similar since the US and UK editions of Intolerance and The Thief of Bagdad are nearly identical.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino's distribution of the Douris, now Cohen Media catalog ended early this year. As a result, they're only able to distribute the public domain films, which are the short films, Three Ages, College, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr. Lobster Films did 2K restorations of all the public domain stuff, but they're inferior to the materials Cohen holds. Also, the MoC set is part of a larger project of Cohen's to restore all of Keaton's silent features (minus The Cameraman and Spite Marriage) in 4K. Cohen distributes their own releases here, while they license to MoC, Arrow, and BFI in the UK.

I'd expect the US Keatons to be similar since the US and UK editions of Intolerance and The Thief of Bagdad are nearly identical.

Awesome. I'll just sit tight until that's released.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$16.59 - Ex Machina (4K UHD + Blu-Ray + UV) https://www.amazon.com/Ex-Machina-4...d34c4301207e837

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is there any hope that we'll get the Original Series Star Trek movies a proper transfer? I honestly had no idea I was watching a lovely transfer until Timby pointed it out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yaws posted:

Is there any hope that we'll get the Original Series Star Trek movies a proper transfer? I honestly had no idea I was watching a lovely transfer until Timby pointed it out.

Highly doubtful. Wrath of Khan got that 4K remaster last year but the franchise was never a huge moneymaker for Paramount until 2009, and Paramount's always been content to half-rear end its home video releases when it doesn't see a ton of profit potential. If they didn't do it for the 50th anniversary last year, they're not doing it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Timby posted:

Highly doubtful. Wrath of Khan got that 4K remaster last year but the franchise was never a huge moneymaker for Paramount until 2009, and Paramount's always been content to half-rear end its home video releases when it doesn't see a ton of profit potential. If they didn't do it for the 50th anniversary last year, they're not doing it.

Ugh. I didn't grow up with Star Trek and am only a new fan of the series so this sucks rear end.

On a complete aside those Next Generation movies suck rear end.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The most likely thing would be Paramount to start licensing to Shout! Factory, which I think is inevitable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Some 4K deals. All of them come with a Blu-Ray and UV code.

$22.63 - Terminator 2 (preorder for october) https://www.amazon.com/Terminator-2...886371031cfecef

This one dropped to $16.96

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yaws posted:

Ugh. I didn't grow up with Star Trek and am only a new fan of the series so this sucks rear end.

On a complete aside those Next Generation movies suck rear end.

Half of First Contact is pretty good. And McDowell is great in Generations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Half of First Contact is pretty good. And McDowell is great in Generations.

There's good stuff in all the TNG movies except Nemesis (which is just execrable in every respect). Generations has McDowell chewing scenery left and right, the fun prologue, a severely underrated score by Dennis McCarthy and the second-best cinematography of the original ten films, behind only The Final Frontier. First Contact's stuff on Earth is a lot of fun, which makes up for Frakes being a terrible action director. A lot of the location shooting on Insurrection is gorgeous, and Goldsmith knocked the score out of the park; F. Murray Abraham is excellent in it, as well.

But, man. gently caress Nemesis.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

and the second-best cinematography of the original ten films, behind only The Final Frontier.

What? I just watched The Final Frontier a couple weeks ago and the whole movie is loving ugly and everything looks cheap (because it was).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I still like Tom Hardy's performance in Nemesis. Glad it didnt end his career

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

The most likely thing would be Paramount to start licensing to Shout! Factory, which I think is inevitable.

Let's hope so because Paramount have always seemed ashamed of their horror collection, despite how lucrative it's been for them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

What? I just watched The Final Frontier a couple weeks ago and the whole movie is loving ugly and everything looks cheap (because it was).

The Final Frontier was the second-most expensive of the first six movies, behind only the first.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I went ahead and got the Zatoichi box set. I'm usually not a fan of the the book style packaging, but it's probably the most beautiful set I've seen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

The Final Frontier was the second-most expensive of the first six movies, behind only the first.

Edit: Just following up on this: The Final Frontier was horribly expensive because of its eight-month cycle, and they also did a bunch of rushed location filming alongside a few very pricey new sets and props: The shuttlebay that was reused for TNG, the new bridge (which then had to be rebuilt nearly from scratch for VI), the rushed effects work, etc.

But despite all that, The Final Frontier is a goddamn gorgeous movie. Andy Laszlo shot the hell out of it, particularly the bridge, and Shatner knew how to move a camera, as opposed to Nimoy's "two-shots, coverage and done" approach.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I agree that the Nimoy movies are poorly shot. You have any examples of anything good from ST5? I can only think of a couple of things. Some of desert stuff from Nimbus and that shot of the observation lounge with the old steering wheel are the only things that come to mind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I agree that the Nimoy movies are poorly shot. You have any examples of anything good from ST5? I can only think of a couple of things. Some of desert stuff from Nimbus and that shot of the observation lounge with the old steering wheel are the only things that come to mind.

One shot that always, always, always comes to mind is this wonderful dolly shot on the bridge, when everyone is in awe of the God Planet: The camera slowly moves from the front to the back of the bridge, finally closing in on a tactical display that shows the Klingon Bird of Prey is entering firing range (and it's punctuated by a minor-chord variation of the Klingon battle theme played by one lonely horn).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a heads up... Mill Creek is pulling a dick move and releasing their own Night of the Living Dead on Oct. 17. It's all but confirmed that Criterion will be releasing the new 4K restoration.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a heads up... Mill Creek is pulling a dick move and releasing their own Night of the Living Dead on Oct. 17. It's all but confirmed that Criterion will be releasing the new 4K restoration.

I don't think that will make much of a difference because there are already multiple blu-rays and the kind of people who give a poo poo about this stuff will certainly hold out for the Criterion release. Also, holy poo poo, what? Has Criterion officially announced that?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Shin Godzilla UV code: FGZN7FAE02KG44Z0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I don't think that will make much of a difference because there are already multiple blu-rays and the kind of people who give a poo poo about this stuff will certainly hold out for the Criterion release. Also, holy poo poo, what? Has Criterion officially announced that?

Janus Films is distributing the restoration and Romero was at the Filmstruck launching party. I just think it's detrimental to release a sub-par edition of a film when a restoration is available. All it's going to do is confuse fans.

This is one of the hazards of public domain films, especially since Criterion (and most other niche labels) go out of their way to properly secure rights to films not under copyright. They licensed Charade from Universal to get access to their pristine vault elements, Carnival of Souls to do a 4K from the camera negative, and even licensed the literary rights to the original play The Front Page to release His Girl Friday and the '31 film. Shout! has licensed completely public domain films like The Brain That Wouldn't Die and The Screaming Skull so they can use high quality materials instead of some garbage theatrical print.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Janus Films is distributing the restoration and Romero was at the Filmstruck launching party. I just think it's detrimental to release a sub-par edition of a film when a restoration is available. All it's going to do is confuse fans.

This is one of the hazards of public domain films, especially since Criterion (and most other niche labels) go out of their way to properly secure rights to films not under copyright. They licensed Charade from Universal to get access to their pristine vault elements, Carnival of Souls to do a 4K from the camera negative, and even licensed the literary rights to the original play The Front Page to release His Girl Friday and the '31 film. Shout! has licensed completely public domain films like The Brain That Wouldn't Die and The Screaming Skull so they can use high quality materials instead of some garbage theatrical print.

I'm sure they knew what they were getting themselves into and I'm sure people will still be hyped to get a Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead. It is kind of lovely though because you're right in that it seems like Mill Creek is trying to dupe people with an inferior release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rusty Staub posted:

Shin Godzilla UV code: FGZN7FAE02KG44Z0

I was able to get this one. Thanks! Gonna have a Godzilla night tonight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when small companies would put out public domain films they'd tend to have watermarks on them (like those Max Fleischer Superman cartoons). What's the deal behind that again? Surely if you do restoration works, or at the very least your own scans, you would retain the copyright on that print if not the work itself. Were people literally then just lifting them off the discs and selling them on without issue?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm sure it's the same concept as Paper Towns. You put it in there to make sure that people won't illegally profit off your work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I'm sure they knew what they were getting themselves into and I'm sure people will still be hyped to get a Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead. It is kind of lovely though because you're right in that it seems like Mill Creek is trying to dupe people with an inferior release.

If you read the announcement on Blu-ray.com, a lot of people are confused now, because they either don't know if it's the restoration or they think Mill Creek has the rights.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember when small companies would put out public domain films they'd tend to have watermarks on them (like those Max Fleischer Superman cartoons). What's the deal behind that again? Surely if you do restoration works, or at the very least your own scans, you would retain the copyright on that print if not the work itself. Were people literally then just lifting them off the discs and selling them on without issue?

99% of the time, watermarks are fairly useless. The 2K restoration of Triumph of the Will has barely noticeable ones and hard-coded subs so it's technically a copyrighted work as a whole. If someone swiped the transfer, they'd be successfully sued. I have no idea why the Superman cartoons needed watermarks because they just upscaled the same dingy old transfers and blasted them with DVNR (like the infamous Gulliver's Travels release).

There's also the matter of elements. Even if a film becomes public domain, the negatives, fine-grains/interpositives, etc. are still owned by the rights holder if they survive. Sony has the negative to His Girl Friday restored and the Criterion Blu-Ray is from a new fine-grain positive produced from that restoration. Since they actually licensed the transfer from Sony, they got a higher quality source to work from. They even secured the rights to the original play, which is still copyrighted. While someone could probably get away with stealing His Girl Friday, the only source in the world for the American cut of The Front Page is on the Criterion edition released in the US, Canada, and UK. Thus, it's immediately obvious where it came from. There's also music rights, which is how It's a Wonderful Life isn't a public domain staple anymore. The music and the source story are still copyrighted, which means the film can't be exploited. Charade also has copyrighted music. I think a PD John Wayne film was released with a totally remixed track to remove the original music score because it was the only part still copyrighted.

Also, with Blu-ray, most people aren't going to buy lovely discs of upscales or overdone DVNR. It also helps that films from the UK and Europe had copyrights recovered in the 1990s. Thus, anyone releasing stuff like the British Hitchcock films is actually pirating the films rather than exploiting public domain. Same thing with German silent films. It gives the rights holders an incentive to restore the films because some rear end in a top hat can't plop The Lady Vanishes from an upscale of Criterion's laserdisc and not get their pants sued off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good info, thanks! Ah yeah I remember reading a ton about that Gullivers disc at the time. Lots of pissed off people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good info, thanks! Ah yeah I remember reading a ton about that Gullivers disc at the time. Lots of pissed off people.

I looked back to see if it was as bad as I remember it and it was worse.

Thunderbean put out a beautiful disc from an original dye-transfer Technicolor print and it's not even that expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Fleischer-Fe...travels+Blu-ray

They're also working on the entire independent films of Ub Iwerks, all from archival elements like camera negatives and original prints. Only the Willie Whopper cartoons are out so far, but sets for Flip the Frog and the ComiColor shorts are in the works. I think the other Fleischer feature film Mr. Bug Goes to Town is coming out (though licensed, since it's not public domain).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think this is true in the US. There was a spat a few years ago between Wikipedia and the National Portrait Gallery in London, because they used ultra-high res scans the museum took. The resolution of the scanning is considered transformative, and thus grants copyright, in the UK, but not so in the US. So in the case of films, presumably, the only way for them to essentially copyright the work is to include a watermarked logo over which they do own the copyright, and can sue for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of Mill Creek, every time I relent and buy a DVD of something because I figure it's never getting a blu-ray release not too long after a blu-ray happens. So I guess now Mill Creek is releasing Shakes the Clown.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Would Night of the Living Dead even benefit much from a 4K scan? Wasn't it shot on pretty cheap 16mm? I wonder how much of an upgrade it would be from one of the 'good' DVDs. I have the red case version (Millennium edition?) and it's already night and day compared to a bargain-bin DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Would Night of the Living Dead even benefit much from a 4K scan? Wasn't it shot on pretty cheap 16mm? I wonder how much of an upgrade it would be from one of the 'good' DVDs. I have the red case version (Millennium edition?) and it's already night and day compared to a bargain-bin DVD.

It was shot in 35mm and the new Film Foundation restoration used the newly discovered camera negative. Most public domain prints are from 16mm, though.

• Locked thread