Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
at least we'll get a good "can u separate the artist from the art" conversation going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

mormonpartyboat posted:

at least we'll get a good "can u separate the artist from the art" conversation going

i for one am neither sad nor happy that my internet best friend got in trouble for being bad

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

mormonpartyboat posted:

Car Boys is the Chinatown of gaming

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I mean I love dunkey but I've already accepted that his work is kind of problematic sometimes so it's not like he's hiding under some nice guy image. Like, he already uses slurs as punchlines and he got banned from toxicity cesspool league of legends

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

everyone I know is really bummed out about this, just super dissapointing all round :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

inferis posted:

I mean I love dunkey but I've already accepted that his work is kind of problematic sometimes so it's not like he's hiding under some nice guy image. Like, he already uses slurs as punchlines and he got banned from toxicity cesspool league of legends

I look forward to his inevitable banned from Overwatch video if the new ban system goes through.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Didn't the internet already kill James Rolfe for not wanting to see Ghostbusters (which ended up being the correct decision)?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Didn't the internet already kill James Rolfe for not wanting to see Ghostbusters (which ended up being the correct decision)?

Nope it was like one of his more popular videos lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Little Mac posted:

No, they moved on quickly and pretended they didn't write those article.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, they moved on quickly and pretended they didn't write those article.

I feel bad for those people who were so excited for it they got tattoos of those very memorable characters

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't think Griffin ever said anything but he did have a really bad time in the last Hearthstone video he did. Phil was on holiday so he got Russ (I think, not going to look it up) who doesn't seem as knowledgeable, it was the last boss battle of the new adventure and it turns into an hour long video of Griffin just slogging through this fight. At the end he just seems thoroughly done with HS. Then I think Griffin was also just really busy in general since he had loads of video series ongoing.

Interesting. With the Nick Revelation and with the new Hearthstone expansion coming out next week, maybe it's time to dip back in

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there any actual evidence that Nick has done anything other than some vague tweets from people?

actually, i'm to tired to be coherent right now.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 5, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Little Mac posted:

No I think everyone came out of it thinking that while he said some silly poo poo (I want my daughter to see the 'true' Ghostbusters, not this one. Never considering it might matter more to her to see characters she might identify with) it was a real stretch to cry 'sexism' over it and they were all a bit hysterical for a day. Particularly as Rolfe seems blissfully unaware of what happened.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel like Wonder Woman kinda undid all the damage Ghostbusters did by actually being good and fun to watch.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

mormonpartyboat posted:

I mean honestly I still enjoy the things Nick and Griffin did together, I just would be unable to enjoy new Nick content as much.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PetraCore posted:

I mean honestly I still enjoy the things Nick and Griffin did together, I just would be unable to enjoy new Nick content as much.

I can't even imagine Nick and Griffin talking to each other on mic at this point. All the air would be sucked out of the room. Griffin strikes me as a guy who's all about doing comedy with people he feels comfortable with.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah which is why it's going to remain hypothetical Nick content.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Niiiiiiiick, this changes everything :ohdear:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
unsolicited dms saying "touch this guy's rim"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jon Irenicus posted:

Niiiiiiiick, this changes everything :ohdear:

I'd like to congratulate you on being the lucky 1,000,000th person to make this joke! You did it!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel like Wonder Woman kinda undid all the damage Ghostbusters did by actually being good and fun to watch.

Except Wonder Woman isn't good

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

myron cope posted:

the Nick Revelation

I think we found the nug.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Android Blues posted:

I can't even imagine Nick and Griffin talking to each other on mic at this point. All the air would be sucked out of the room. Griffin strikes me as a guy who's all about doing comedy with people he feels comfortable with.

Griffin seems to have a mean streak sometimes, too. Not a vindictive one, and I know he hams it up for the camera, but sometimes I glean a bit of anger. Growing up in West Virginia with two older brothers would make it completely understandable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

nick robinson go on cum town

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wasabi the J posted:

Griffin seems to have a mean streak sometimes, too. Not a vindictive one, and I know he hams it up for the camera, but sometimes I glean a bit of anger. Growing up in West Virginia with two older brothers would make it completely understandable.

I can't really think of one... Elaborate?

If the three, Travis definitely seems like the most sensitive and empathetic and maybe Griffin the least, if agree with that, but I can't think of any mean streak.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fadam posted:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Sometimes in Awful Squad you can hear him getting audibly annoyed and impatient with the rest of the team, yeah. But I think (really hope) he's a good guy of the sort Nick evidently isn't.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If the three, Travis definitely seems like the most sensitive and empathetic and maybe Griffin the least, if agree with that, but I can't think of any mean streak.

It comes out a bit when someone is doing something indefensibly lovely, like airlines calling the police to beat their law-abiding passengers, for instance

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think in just a general sense. I don't mean it to be a character judgement. I just think of when he does his rants and his barbs directed at the brothers (and sometimes Nick in CGI) -- I used to act like that character when drunk because at first it got laughs, but if you let it go it gets mean.

Personally their brand of comedy comes off as very genuine, so for me it feels like a natural conclusion that he could be a bit of a jerk without thinking about it, but he seems to channel his anger towards his art which is good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

fadam posted:

This would tarnish Cum Town's reputation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have tried to watch awful squad and honestly haven't been able to get into it, and I don't really understand what is the deal with OubG and why it's so huge either. I just can't really tell what is the goal or what's even going on in those videos, and they start with people kind of standing around doing nothing for a while. Is there a part I should fast forward to?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Of course i don't feel comfortable linking them now, but any CGI bits about millenials are a good example of angry Griffin. Like, that Cars 3 Burn Track bit is funny but you can tell he's sincerely pissed off about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Android Blues posted:

Sometimes in Awful Squad you can hear him getting audibly annoyed and impatient with the rest of the team, yeah. But I think (really hope) he's a good guy of the sort Nick evidently isn't.

Yeah, I don't think getting annoyed at your teammates during a multiplayer game (especially Russ) is indicative of any hidden darkness. Not accusing anyone here of anything, but there's this tendency to pedestalize the McElroys (and by extension, Nick) as Perfect Good Boys, and that kinda contributed to this whole thing hitting as hard as it did. You can also see this pedestalization backfiring during the whole TAZ graphic novel debacle, where anything that goes against that Perfect Good Boy image people have of them is met with scorn. I think this is a good reality check for a lot of people that these people are human, and they make mistakes.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Listen to it as a podcast on your computer and look at the screen when it sounds like something interesting happened

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have tried to watch awful squad and honestly haven't been able to get into it, and I don't really understand what is the deal with OubG and why it's so huge either. I just can't really tell what is the goal or what's even going on in those videos, and they start with people kind of standing around doing nothing for a while. Is there a part I should fast forward to?

You should probably watch past the first thirty seconds of the game, at least.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't think getting annoyed at your teammates during a multiplayer game (especially Russ) is indicative of any hidden darkness. Not accusing anyone here of anything, but there's this tendency to pedestalize the McElroys (and by extension, Nick) as Perfect Good Boys, and that kinda contributed to this whole thing hitting as hard as it did. You can also see this pedestalization backfiring during the whole TAZ graphic novel debacle, where anything that goes against that Perfect Good Boy image people have of them is met with scorn. I think this is a good reality check for a lot of people that these people are human, and they make mistakes.

Thank you waffleman_ for this!!!!!!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

misadventurous posted:

Of course i don't feel comfortable linking them now, but any CGI bits about millenials are a good example of angry Griffin. Like, that Cars 3 Burn Track bit is funny but you can tell he's sincerely pissed off about it.

See the millenials joke on @midnight as well. Griffin is pretty well-aware that his generation has been thoroughly hosed over by the ones that came before and he's not down at all with millenial hate.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Or don't watch even, we live in an age with an overwhelming abundance of content so don't think you have to like everything that isn't working for you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

misadventurous posted:

This was funny because that wasn't what Cars 3 actually ended up being at all. Cars 3 was just a combination of Rocky 3/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty much this. However I still think they're great dudes who try really hard to be compassionate, fun, and understanding, and they've owned up to the time they've fallen short of being nice dudes.

Audiences are a blessing and a curse, especially when your brand consists of the world's view of your entire family.