Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's always a good time to rewatch Shiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assume it's the same amount of Shiki as before, just viewable on CR now thanks to their deal with Funimation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly it's loving me up how good Boruto is

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I loved the last ep. Hinata has been my fav char since forever, now it's confirmed she's the best. Looks like Himawari is gonna be boss af too. Too bad they'll probably not get much screen time again.

Is Boruto a classic shounen that runs forever, or do we know how many eps it'll have?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dogsicle posted:

honestly it's loving me up how good Boruto is

Is it a good show even if you don't like Naruto and thought it was terrible?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once the show gets past salad gaiden, it will be into the movie and then the current manga. that manga is fuckin' awful, to the extent that i doubt the anime can salvage it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Going to make my first and probably only post in ADTRW to say that Restaurant to Another World is a fun show. There's just something cute and relaxing about watching fantasy characters having a near orgasmic reaction to basic dishes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

once the show gets past salad gaiden, it will be into the movie and then the current manga. that manga is fuckin' awful, to the extent that i doubt the anime can salvage it.

i would hope they just continue their trend of doing anime-original stuff, but who knows

There Bias Two posted:

Is it a good show even if you don't like Naruto and thought it was terrible?

i dunno. i couldn't really figure out how to crystallize my thoughts on it today, but you also don't say what about naruto made you hate it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

MizPiz posted:

Going to make my first and probably only post in ADTRW to say that Restaurant to Another World is a fun show. There's just something cute and relaxing about watching fantasy characters having a near orgasmic reaction to basic dishes.

:agreed: It's really nice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MizPiz posted:

:yeah:

And then they all become so eloquent when describing the tastes, and it's a really good show!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Counter-point: It's a bad show, and probably my biggest disappointment of the season. Every half-episode follows the exact same structure, and the show's completely devoid of plot or interesting characters. The owner doesn't have a shred of characterization beyond "nice person", the waitress girl hasn't had a single interesting moment since her half-episode ended, and everybody else just exposition-dumps their entire life story in ten minutes, then has a minor orgasm about some food, and then leaves. Maybe at some point the show will start connecting the various narrative dots it's been drawing, but the first half of the season has been nothing but the same inconsequential short story, repeated ten or twelve times.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Araki posted:

Maybe at some point the show will start connecting the various narrative dots it's been drawing

I don't want this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crunchyroll should spend less time putting shows like gun x sword up that are available on funi's youtube and more time putting up paradise kiss and nichijou

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they should sub old shows that will not make them much money, but are untranslated. excluding little kids shows

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they should put up the entirety of kodocha

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Araki posted:

Counter-point: It's a bad show, and probably my biggest disappointment of the season. Every half-episode follows the exact same structure, and the show's completely devoid of plot or interesting characters. The owner doesn't have a shred of characterization beyond "nice person", the waitress girl hasn't had a single interesting moment since her half-episode ended, and everybody else just exposition-dumps their entire life story in ten minutes, then has a minor orgasm about some food, and then leaves. Maybe at some point the show will start connecting the various narrative dots it's been drawing, but the first half of the season has been nothing but the same inconsequential short story, repeated ten or twelve times.

That's basically the light novel format too, except you get more text exposition about the fantasy world and their various cultures and how they relate to each other and how the food the restaurant serves has and continues to affect their lives. There's no grand overarching narrative, it's literally a slice-of-life of DnD characters being able to enjoy a unique space with unique food they can't get anywhere else. Like, I'm not sure what you were expecting since the first three episodes are pretty indicative of what you're gonna get, so you're probably expecting too much.

This is the type of "isekai" story that I like; mundane, but pleasant and it isn't about an MC who solves fantasy world people's problems by wowing them with a cheat skill or power. I like that we don't have a name for him because there isn't a huge need to make him a deep character. It's about the experiences of the customers and I like that they don't worship the ground the chef walks on like a lot of isekai stories tend to do especially with teenage male MCs; they just love their food and are grateful to him for the service he provides to all walks of life from fantasy land.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Compendium posted:

Like, I'm not sure what you were expecting since the first three episodes are pretty indicative of what you're gonna get, so you're probably expecting too much.

Yeah, in retrospect I'm not sure what I was expecting either, since it's not like the promotional material made it look terribly exciting. I think I expected it to be more about the restaurant's staff and regulars, but it turns out the owner is a blank of slab of generic affability, the waitress girl stopped being a character after episode one, and the customers are little more than walking and talking exposition dumps. Boring slice-of-life shows are only as good as their characters, and this show doesn't have any.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wasn't there gonna be an anime of shinya shokudo? no isekai, but otherwise it does the same thing only with humor and charm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Restaurant to Another World is perfect for relaxing. Kakegurui and Princess Principal are probably going to be this season's contenders for my anime of the year list, but gently caress it, Restaurant to Another World makes me feel relaxed while watching it in a way that I haven't since maybe first watching the Aria anime.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Violet Evergarden has been licensed by Netflix and will be released internationally in Spring 2018 after airing in Japan in January.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/893774118063030274

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:rant:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

psyer posted:

Violet Evergarden has been licensed by Netflix and will be released internationally in Spring 2018 after airing in Japan in January.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

psyer posted:

KyoAni why

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They got paid a lot of money lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

wasn't there gonna be an anime of shinya shokudo? no isekai, but otherwise it does the same thing only with humor and charm.

There's a drama with a few seasons and a movie under its belt. I'd say it's more melodramatic because the stories can be sad sometimes, but it's pretty great that way. It works better as a live action drama anyways, it doesn't need an animated version.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's another cooking isekai that got an anime announced at the same time too, maybe that one will be competently made but i don't think shinya shokudo is getting an anime ever, its storylines don't really benefit from anime since its all realistic seinen and it already has a bunch of tv shows

psyer posted:

drat, i might have to use fansubs like ive done for every other kyoani worth watching

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

they should put up the entirety of kodocha

I should go to Toei and get the stick out of their rear end that's causing them to charge so much for Kamen Rider.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

They got paid a lot of money lol
Probably a fuckton, taking into account that KyoAni is one of the few Studios that seem intent on paying everyone a deece wage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I should go to Toei and get the stick out of their rear end that's causing them to charge so much for Kamen Rider.
How much do Gainax / Anno want for the streaming rights of NGE? I'm thinking that either here or through the General / Chat thread, somebody discussed that they want a retardedly high amount of money.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

How much do Gainax / Anno want for the streaming rights of NGE? I'm thinking that either here or through the General / Chat thread, somebody discussed that they want a retardedly high amount of money.

more than any anime service can pay

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

On a recent ANNCast ep, they had a guy from Discotek on and they jokingly asked him to license rescue Eva.

He replied that he thinks that none of the US anime companies, not even Funimation have enough money to do that.

Admittedly this was recorded before the Sony buyout, but that's still pretty telling!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She's right.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

What's going on there, do they think that if it came to the US it would be as big as Power Rangers so they're asking for Power Rangers money?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/893873086751047684

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

anitwitter is bad and a bunch of babies

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

being critical of things is okay imo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

On a recent ANNCast ep, they had a guy from Discotek on and they jokingly asked him to license rescue Eva.

He replied that he thinks that none of the US anime companies, not even Funimation have enough money to do that.

Admittedly this was recorded before the Sony buyout, but that's still pretty telling!
Eh, well I guess it comes with... pedigree? legacy? Whatever it is that Eva still has going on these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

being one of the best anime ever and still being one of the best selling ones maybe

• Locked thread