Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
What kind of screen on time do you guys get with your day 1 smooth Pixel XLs? I'm super disappointed in my 6P's bad aging just like disss. The S8 Plus battery life looks insanely good but I would prefer the Pixel for numerous reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nerve posted:

What kind of screen on time do you guys get with your day 1 smooth Pixel XLs? I'm super disappointed in my 6P's bad aging just like disss. The S8 Plus battery life looks insanely good but I would prefer the Pixel for numerous reasons.

I used mine pretty heavily for browsing with some light GPS usage from 10 to around 6 and it went from 100 to around 38

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerve posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you, I've never been in a situation where it didn't have plenty of life left in it for the day.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My Pixel XL doesn't make it through the day sometimes, but I'll laze about the house on it for like 4 hours total, instead of staring at my computer. Towards the evening it'll have <20% if I do that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Enos Cabell posted:

I just tracked down this thread to ask if anyone knows a way to permanently disable that loving Bixby button. I am seriously getting to the point where I might get rid of this s8+ because I hate that button so damned much.
This ugly app is the best way to disable it. Just disable Bixby Home and the button becomes just a piece of clicky plastic on the side of your phone, which is an improvement from what it does out of the box.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nerve posted:

Any phone battery is going to be significantly degraded after 2 years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Internet Explorer posted:

Any phone battery is going to be significantly degraded after 2 years.

There is significantly degraded and there is unusable - mine was switching off anywhere between 15 and 45% by the time it had a battery replacement done.

I didn't have anything like as bad of an experience with the N4

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

datajosh posted:

This ugly app is the best way to disable it. Just disable Bixby Home and the button becomes just a piece of clicky plastic on the side of your phone, which is an improvement from what it does out of the box.

Remap it to Google assistant.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dave.bennett.bixremap

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

There is significantly degraded and there is unusable - mine was switching off anywhere between 15 and 45% by the time it had a battery replacement done.

I didn't have anything like as bad of an experience with the N4

My Nexus 5 got 20 months before it was close to unusable but the battery meter was never wrong, it just didn't last long. It sure seems like the 6P has unfixable battery problems.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

My Nexus 5 got 20 months before it was close to unusable but the battery meter was never wrong, it just didn't last long. It sure seems like the 6P has unfixable battery problems.

There's a class action lawsuit about that very issue in fact.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My girlfriend's iPhone 5C is dying and quickly becoming unusable. She is eligible for an upgrade on her contract (Vodafone UK) but obviously with the next iPhone due out likely next month I don't want to use the upgrade now.

So I need an Android phone as a replacement. I mainly need it to do the basics: calls, texts, WhatsApp and Facebook. What's the cheapest phone I should look at to tide her over for 6 weeks? Looking to spend less than £100 ideally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My girlfriend's iPhone 5C is dying and quickly becoming unusable. She is eligible for an upgrade on her contract (Vodafone UK) but obviously with the next iPhone due out likely next month I don't want to use the upgrade now.

So I need an Android phone as a replacement. I mainly need it to do the basics: calls, texts, WhatsApp and Facebook. What's the cheapest phone I should look at to tide her over for 6 weeks? Looking to spend less than £100 ideally.

The Nextbit Robin should be stupid cheap new (was running at about $130 or less), and runs an SD808, though it isn't supported anymore. Not sure if it's available in the UK via ebay/Amazon/bhphotovideo/etc. though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Facetious posted:

The Nextbit Robin should be stupid cheap new (was running at about $130 or less), and runs an SD808, though it isn't supported anymore. Not sure if it's available in the UK via ebay/Amazon/bhphotovideo/etc. though.

Is that the one that has the weird all-apps-in-the-cloud thing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's a "free up space when getting full by archiving less-used apps" thing. It's like memory management, but for permanent storage. They've patched it a bunch of times, though so I don't know how aggressive it is or isn't. It comes with 32gb.
And I think it had Cloud storage before Google really made it convenient with Drive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess we have to wait for Samsung to ditch the headphone jack for brand names like Sony, Philips, Sennheiser and so on to make wired USB Type-C headphones? I went looking for some and apart from some JBL ones, just ran into some from Chinese alphabet soup brand names. With what the new Pixels not having jacks after all, despite what those case leaks suggested.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

3-4h normally.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

3-4h normally.

Powerfully hosed up if true

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess we have to wait for Samsung to ditch the headphone jack for brand names like Sony, Philips, Sennheiser and so on to make wired USB Type-C headphones? I went looking for some and apart from some JBL ones, just ran into some from Chinese alphabet soup brand names. With what the new Pixels not having jacks after all, despite what those case leaks suggested.

What about the USB-C to 3.5mm adapters? I don't know anything about if they're any good or anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

What about the USB-C to 3.5mm adapters? I don't know anything about if they're any good or anything.
If there's no other way, yea. Otherwise I'd like to avoid them. I'd figure/hope Google ships one with their devices. If not, that'd be mean.

One straight cable out of the phone and that's it. Practically all in-ears I've used in the past had angled connectors, which made them annoying to use with the iPhone dongle for the short while I had one of these phones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Deleting pics off your phone won't delete them from Google Drive, right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

If you delete them in the Google Photos app, it will delete it from your cloud backup too. Otherwise yes, you're right.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a menu option in Google Photos called "free up space" that will delete the photos off the phone without deleting them from the cloud.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Where can I find non-garbage TPU/other soft material cases for the Moto Z Play? The 2 from Amazon so far have been.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know if its just that my usage changed to adapt to the godawful battery of a 4 year-old N4 but I have a hard time understanding how the G5+ has such good battery life. I haven't bothered to charge it for 2.5 days and it's still at 35%. It's such a refreshing change from doing light browsing and watching the battery drop a percent every minute. Maybe it's partly that Lollipop sucked?

My main irritations so far are the removal of the quick settings bar, although Power Toggles is a decent replacement, and the weird scaling of the brightness slider. I probably have it at 0-10% for most of the day and have no idea when I'd need max brightness other than standing under stadium floodlights at high noon.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 6, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The quick settings bar should be there assuming you are running nougat

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blue Train posted:

The quick settings bar should be there assuming you are running nougat

I don't mean the pulldown one but the home screen widget with buttons that seems to have been removed with one of the Lollipop patches that the N4 didn't get.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eXXon posted:

I don't mean the pulldown one but the home screen widget with buttons that seems to have been removed with one of the Lollipop patches that the N4 didn't get.

Was that ever actually stock? Regardless, there's a bunch of apps that provide that. Power toggles is the one I used to use but it hasn't been updated for 18 months, but look around and you'll find others.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All Pixels are discounted at Google right now, up to $200 for the top storage XL model, looks to be $125 off for the 32gb normal Pixel.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bull3964 posted:

All Pixels are discounted at Google right now, up to $200 for the top storage XL model, looks to be $125 off for the 32gb normal Pixel.

I was going to try and make my s6 last another generation, but..

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

drat. I hope nobody recently bought a brand new Pixel.

Some Mate 9 pictures to break up headphone chat.

I thought that one came out better than it did on my phone, but the autofocus failed me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bull3964 posted:

I LITERALLY bought mine last week GOD loving DAMMIT

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is Google's protection plan a good deal?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, unless you drop your phones a lot.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Pixel 32g is still $450 at Verizon if anyone cares.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Pixel black 32GB is £400 from Carphone Warehouse. Was £600 a few months ago. Definitely clearing stock I'd say, though direct from Google UK it's still £600.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

Pixel 32g is still $450 at Verizon if anyone cares.

Can you buy one there if you don't have a Verizon plan? My gf wants a pixel but (naturally) doesn't want Verizon.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was planning on reselling my Pixel XL when the Note 8 came out, the price drops just killed me.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hopped on the Pixel fire sale and traded out my 5x, which felt like it was just days away from dying.

Holy gently caress this phone is smooth in comparison. £320 after 5x trade in at cpw is a dope deal.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pixel black 32GB is £400 from Carphone Warehouse. Was £600 a few months ago. Definitely clearing stock I'd say, though direct from Google UK it's still £600.

Ah finally, I've been waiting for the UK price drop, pixel time for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What are people actually getting for a good condition 32GB 5X on Swappa? It's saying "recently sold avg" is $221 which seems insane for a thing I bought (subsidized by Fi, sure, but still) for $250 16 months ago that is widely known to have a fatal flaw. Even if it's like, half that I'm really tempted to jump on a Pixel.