Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am curious if it's possible to skip the first mound with dream gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I am curious if it's possible to skip the first mound with dream gates.

Maybe you're talking about something else, but the only "mound" I'm aware of is Ancestral Mound, where you get the fireball spell extremely early in the game. You need Dream Nail + 900 essence to get dream gates.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I'm curious if they prevented dream gates from shortcutting the flower quest. (I assume so since that's really obvious, but don't have a save file to test it.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's a neat article up on PC Gamer about the map design process. Some tidbits: at one point they considered a procedural generation approach then discarded it because it sucked; there was an extremely large lava zone called Bone Forest that was in almost every early design but then got cut and broken up into Deepnest, Ancient Basin, and Kingdom's Edge; the White Palace was one of the earlier concepts they came up with.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm curious if they prevented dream gates from shortcutting the flower quest. (I assume so since that's really obvious, but don't have a save file to test it.)

It's been tested. Dream gate breaks the flower.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Here's what's not a good idea. Starting this game then going on holiday and not playing for 3 weeks. I have zero idea where to continue and have to backtrack everything to guess.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Try turning off map pins and looking for parts of the map that end without an outline, it means they lead somewhere else.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It would be cool if the game took pains to clue you in when you've been gone a long time. Like have the map show the path you took for the ten minutes you last played. It's kind of a recurring problem in metroidvanias if you don't play for a long time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dancer posted:

Maybe you're talking about something else, but the only "mound" I'm aware of is Ancestral Mound, where you get the fireball spell extremely early in the game. You need Dream Nail + 900 essence to get dream gates.

Yes, I believe it's possible to get the dream nail before the mound.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Well, if anyone's curious as to what happens when you light every Dream Zote candle the answer is nothing at all as far as I can tell. He does enough damage to one-shot you without lifeblood charms when every candle is lit, but like his journal entry suggests he just keeps getting stronger with each defeat after that until you can't survive a hit even with lifeblood boosts.

I also decided to record this 'final' version of the fight since it took me over 100 tries to reach and defeat it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4aajKRC6bc

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Spatial posted:

Try turning off map pins and looking for parts of the map that end without an outline, it means they lead somewhere else.

I kind of wish that when you hit an inacessible path, the map would leave some reminder of why it was inaccessible.

It's kind of annoying having to revisit all 20 doors-to-nowhere on your map every time you get a new power because you can't remember which ones needed you to jump further, jump higher, open a locked door, etc.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So are both new boss fights infinitely repeatable? I can understand why with Zote but what about Dung Defender

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Seeric posted:

Well, if anyone's curious as to what happens when you light every Dream Zote candle the answer is nothing at all as far as I can tell. He does enough damage to one-shot you without lifeblood charms when every candle is lit, but like his journal entry suggests he just keeps getting stronger with each defeat after that until you can't survive a hit even with lifeblood boosts.

I also decided to record this 'final' version of the fight since it took me over 100 tries to reach and defeat it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4aajKRC6bc

Congrats! I'm currently on "Sensual" Zote, and already, the 5 damage per hit is ridiculous. Really pleased with how this boss turned out, but I can definitely see why they didn't gate any achievements behind completing subsequent iterations of the fight.

Highwang posted:

So are both new boss fights infinitely repeatable? I can understand why with Zote but what about Dung Defender

As far as I can tell, yes. I re-fought the White Defender twice. Each new iteration gives him an extra point of damage with each attack, and additional lines as he fades away when defeated.

As far as why he's repeatable, maybe it's supposed to reflect the fact that Hallownest is long gone and his king and his comrades variously dead or deserted. He feels powerless in the face of this loss, so he needs to imagine himself as stronger and stronger, until maybe, somehow, he could've been strong enough to present this whole tragedy from happening. I just thought of this because the dream fight takes place in front of what appear to be the spirits of his friends, which dissipate when he loses. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

That said, it's pretty funny the first time to enter the dream and see the White Palace caked with poo poo. An interesting touch for what seems to be a reminiscence of better days.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but where does the dung all come from

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

but where does the dung all come from

If memory serves, Dung Defender got exiled from the team because of his fascination with dung. This might explain why, he just made the White Palace brown.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The dungeon came after, I think, or to the extent it came before, the others didn't care. They don't mind the defender's crest, for example.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Who would mind such a heroic-smelling bug? :)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Spatial posted:

Who would mind such a heroic-smelling bug? :)

That uncultured swine who trades in worthless trinkets and gee-gaws in the city.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The additional lines and titles for Defender and Zote, respectively, does suggest there's an upper limit.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

57, one for each of the great precepts of Zote. :unsmigghh:

Spatial fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 5, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/P5ych/status/893273833506914305

they're good fans, jerry

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

For anyone curious.

Dream Nail Dialogue for Grey Prince Zote:
"Dark... Light... They're nothing compared to her!"
"I'll kill you quickly! I must tend to my Queen!"

For White Defender:
"Hegemol... I miss your humour..."
"Dryya... I miss your wisdom..."
"Ze'mer... I miss your stories..."
"Isma... I miss... I miss you..."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Highwang posted:

If memory serves, Dung Defender got exiled from the team because of his fascination with dung. This might explain why, he just made the White Palace brown.

no i mean in general. we don't see anything other than bugs in the game

unless... is it all from Bardoom?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Is there any real point in getting the new Stag station in an already completed game? Is there anything there?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do I need to chase that weird spider lady all the way back to the dreamer or something to 100%? I only talked to her once.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

do what now

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Do I need to chase that weird spider lady all the way back to the dreamer or something to 100%? I only talked to her once.

If you're talking about the Midwife, then no, you don't need to do anything at all with her.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They made it a lot easier to fight in the water. There's no delay before you can jump anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Spatial posted:

They made it a lot easier to fight in the water. There's no delay before you can jump anymore.

Oh thank heavens, that made flukemarm so annoying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of (from the AMA)

I am the master of zotes

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 6, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wow Dream Gates are awesome, and I can't imagine playing the game without them now

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really wish there were a clear maximum on either of these fights, with some final outcome.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Holy gently caress Nosk is an angry boy now.

Lucky for me it glitched out on my second attempt and got stuck in its jumping animation under the entrance doorway. :shobon:

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Dog Kisser posted:

Wow Dream Gates are awesome, and I can't imagine playing the game without them now

I haven't had a chance to load into the game since the update. Is it essentially a one way teleport back to where you put your original dream gate? Or can you go back through it like a door?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dream gates should at least make the flower quest less infuriating. Just poof yourself back to the start if you gently caress it up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I started playing this after I got it in the last steam sale. Just beat Radiance and finished the game. It was really loving good. I also have like, no idea what was going on in the story.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Ambivalent posted:

For White Defender:
"Hegemol... I miss your humour..."
"Dryya... I miss your wisdom..."
"Ze'mer... I miss your stories..."
"Isma... I miss... I miss you..."

oh god :smith:
why does awesome jolly lovely boy have to have such an awful time while that prick zote gets all the cred

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Whose sword is this?

It's a nail, baby.

Whose nail is this?

Zote's.

Who's Zote?

Zote's dead, baby... Zote's dead.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fuligin posted:

I started playing this after I got it in the last steam sale. Just beat Radiance and finished the game. It was really loving good. I also have like, no idea what was going on in the story.

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Lore will spell it all out for you based on what's in the game.

Since there's no item descriptions or stuff for the most part, most of Hollow Knight's lore is pretty clear once it's all put together, so you won't see any wild LORE IMPLICATIONS SPECULATION like you would with Dark Souls.

Bardoom lays out the Pale King, Seer lays out the infection, and the stuff you need to do in the Abyss explains your origins, so it's all there really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Started up a play-by-post traditional game set in the Hollow Knight universe. Drop by if you're that particular variety of nerd that likes videogames AND dungeons and dragons.