Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

T Bowl posted:

Does anyone think it will kill enthusiasm for the sport if it's literally just the few oil clubs running everything from now on with even the other historically bigger clubs having little chance to win titles?

Probably not, but maybe if it did they'd start forcing caps on clubs based on values or something to push a competitive angle again.

Its already killed my enthusiasm. E-sports are the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
EVerything PirateBob is saying is true, a shame all the trolls are getting their shots in. Manchester no longer has the most Expensive Team in the world, thats a fact. The Red Devils are the biggest club in the world but are getting shown up transfer-wise by these small time clubs because theyre owned by slave owners and Chinese, that doesnt make any sense to me. The legacy Sir Fergie built is getting wrecked by these grubby little pissants. Just wish you ABUs could face up to the truth. Maybe youll wake up when football is dead. But it will be too late then

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Neytard was the 4th best player at Barca and is basically Robinho with a better publicist. Fact.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I hope PSG win UCL and prove everyone wrong.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

T Bowl posted:

I hope PSG win UCL and prove everyone wrong.

They wont bitch

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnInP4bEKaU

oil baron clubs' anthem

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Gylfi's gone.

gone where?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Disillusioned about the state of current top tier blood money football? Follow your lovely poor local/lower league club and feel the genuine excitement of cloggers clogging it up #LifeHack #AgainstModernFootball

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol at all the sour grape nerds who don't think psg will make £200m of neymar shirt sales in 5 mins. good cheeky bit of business imho

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
lol at the posters who don't know that shirt sales don't profit a club very much at all

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

quote:

Ronaldo to Utd rumours incoming

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PirateBob posted:

For a brief time, we looked like the moneybags of football, largely because we had the poorest squad of all the wealthy clubs. I think it's fair to say we have fell down the pecking order. There is no way we would sanction deals the size of Mbappe's let alone Neymar. I think it's worth pointing out that our best paid players are on less than half of what Real, Barca and now PSGs are. We are a for-profit enterprise. We cannot compete with charities and sugar daddy playtoys. :smithicide:

The team that spunked a fortune on Di Maria, Martial and Pogba.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I wonder how Uefa/Fifa will react to the Neymar transfer. Obviously they can't stop that transfer or try to undo it, but surely they will implement some new rules to prevent stuff like that from happening again. The only question is, how do you stop that? Maybe a cap on the transfer sum for one player, or a max amount a club can spend in one transfer window would work? But that's probably also a lovely solution so I don't know, I just don't know.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mbappe just went off injured.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

RideTheSpiral posted:

lol at all the sour grape nerds who don't think psg will make £200m of neymar shirt sales in 5 mins. good cheeky bit of business imho

quote:

No club has ever directly recouped a player’s transfer fee through shirt sales. Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Shrapnig posted:

Injured or "injured"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Did something to his knee. He tried to run it off for about 10 minutes but couldn't.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsene is lurkin

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oh wow someone's sarcasm detector is working REALLY WELL

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

RideTheSpiral posted:

oh wow someone's sarcasm detector is working REALLY WELL

actually it looks like it isn't

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Neytard was the 4th best player at Barca and is basically Robinho with a better publicist. Fact.
imo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

gone where?

Out on his leaving do in Swansea tonight.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mean Bean Machine posted:

EVerything PirateBob is saying is true, a shame all the trolls are getting their shots in. Manchester no longer has the most Expensive Team in the world, thats a fact. The Red Devils are the biggest club in the world but are getting shown up transfer-wise by these small time clubs because theyre owned by slave owners and Chinese, that doesnt make any sense to me. The legacy Sir Fergie built is getting wrecked by these grubby little pissants. Just wish you ABUs could face up to the truth. Maybe youll wake up when football is dead. But it will be too late then

Thank you... at least there's one person with some sense in here.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

shut up blegum posted:

I wonder how Uefa/Fifa will react to the Neymar transfer. Obviously they can't stop that transfer or try to undo it, but surely they will implement some new rules to prevent stuff like that from happening again. The only question is, how do you stop that? Maybe a cap on the transfer sum for one player, or a max amount a club can spend in one transfer window would work? But that's probably also a lovely solution so I don't know, I just don't know.

They won't do anything, why would they? Europe, and France in particular, is a cesspool of corruption.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Salah is gonna be real good and I'm going to laugh at Chelsea and Moruinho again.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
salah is a fraud and has only done it in serie a which is the SPL of europe

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

salah is a fraud and has only done it in serie a which is the SPL of europe

And here I thought the SPL was the SPL of Europe?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Sandwolf posted:

And here I thought the SPL was the SPL of Europe?

brexit mate

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Didn't PSG technically sign him on a free though?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

My last post had a genuine typo but I think it works quite well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Has this transfer market exposed United's financial limitations?

I know its hard to compete financially with the oil clubs but it seems like in this summer the gap has widened significantly. With PSG willing to destroy the world record for Neymar and City seemingly willing to buy Mbappe and the PL title, all fees quoted that dwarf our massive outlay on Lukaku. Woodward's statement that we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of seem more foolish and hollow now. I'm quite happy with Jose building the team the way he wants it, I just wonder if other clubs having more clout will hurt us down the road. :ohdear:

Plucky little impoverished Manchester United, only able to break transfer records every other year

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Some juicy :utdfanssay.txt: stuff coming out of the last page or so.

Can't believe the club that has consistently bought a player for 60m+ over the last 4 transfer windows bitching that they "can't keep up with the big teams".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

Can't believe the club that has consistently bought a player for 60m+ over the last 4 transfer windows bitching that they "can't keep up with the big teams".

Same but for Arsenal fans.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

This is going to make Wengy want him more

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

Same but for Arsenal fans.

Arsenal spent a total of ten million pounds (£10,000,000) just two transfer windows ago.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Spurs should probably sign someone ffs

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Blinkz0rz posted:

Spurs should probably sign someone ffs

I understand that their problem is wages. All their current stars are still on their cheap, junior player wages. If they get a new signing on big wages, they'll revolt and the club will be bust, or forced to sell loads of them.

Their player wage bill is laughably low right now compared to any other club in the top 5.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

wooger posted:

I understand that their problem is wages. All their current stars are still on their cheap, junior player wages. If they get a new signing on big wages, they'll revolt and the club will be bust, or forced to sell loads of them.

Their player wage bill is laughably low right now compared to any other club in the top 5.

That's a goddamn absurd reason not to improve the squad when all the other contenders are dropping obscene sums of money.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
there's also the point that pochettino has a very good squad and realistically who could he bring in to actually improve that without breaking the bank + disrupting wage structure.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paris are selling their kits €140 this season. They sold 12000 of them since yesterday :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Blinkz0rz posted:

That's a goddamn absurd reason not to improve the squad when all the other contenders are dropping obscene sums of money.

Well yes, even though paying their starters what they're worth could easily cost 100mil a year extra, that's probably cheap vs paying transfer fees to replace them.

Spurs have apparently never paid more than they do. It's the way they're run, and they'd need to radically change this to pay the market rate wages.

http://sportsmaza.com/football/tottenham-hotspur-players-salary/

They essentially have one year to win the League / Champions league with the current squad or they're going to lose half the starting 11.

• Locked thread