Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

KidDynamite posted:

When I asked about runway during an initial chat with a startup they answered by saying can't say exacts because we need you to sign an nda but we just signed a 5 year lease and money is no object. That's a bad sign, right?

depends, are you okay fleeing a sinking ship in about 6-18 months after bleeding them dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

huhu posted:

I'm currently attempting to negotiate a contract position in Boston. It's a bit of a jack of all trades position (front end, back end, hardware, mechanical engineering design, pcb design) and they asked me how many figgies and I told them I currently make $40/hour (current + some more) and they mistook that as me wanting $40/hour and tried to offer me that and vaguely hinted that $40/hour was a hard amount to request from their boss. This is a great jump in responsibility and duties. I have 0 idea of what to ask for. Any suggestions? For all the skills they need, I have about 5 years total experience.

you've learned an important lesson on why you never tell people what you currently make

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AnoHito posted:

depends, are you okay fleeing a sinking ship in about 6-18 months after bleeding them dry?

The answer to this better be "yes" by anyone in this thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

When I asked about runway during an initial chat with a startup they answered by saying can't say exacts because we need you to sign an nda but we just signed a 5 year lease and money is no object. That's a bad sign, right?

if money is no object then they can give you a dumptruck full of it. thats a good sign imo

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
drat it. I forgot how much of a hassle the new job poo poo can be.

i don't remember doing all of this background check stuff for the last gig, but it's been so long that I might just be forgetting

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also if you are forced to say what you earn, just renegotiate when they give the offer. If they won't budge because "well that proposal is not what your current wage is" then sever immediately because clearly they do not understand how this works.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

you're never forced to say what you earn

if someone tries to make it all "omg you're being a real awkward nerd here by not telling us" in fact they are being obnoxious and awkward (and know it), and that poo poo is not your problem. it is a two way street, don't get steamrolled into loving yourself over because some recruiter is insisting that you're an awkward nerd for not doing just that.

that said, saying what you're looking for can be advantageous.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

you're never forced to say what you earn

if someone tries to make it all "omg you're being a real awkward nerd here by not telling us" in fact they are being obnoxious and awkward (and know it), and that poo poo is not your problem. it is a two way street, don't get steamrolled into loving yourself over because some recruiter is insisting that you're an awkward nerd for not doing just that.

that said, saying what you're looking for can be advantageous.

i don't really consider it getting hosed over though. if they think your current salary is somehow relevant to their hiring process, most likely you don't want to work there anyway since they obviously care more about getting a low price than getting the correct worker for the job.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

run awaaaaaaaaaaaaay

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

money's only an object if you plan on spending it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

at the end of the day most employers know you don't find quality long-term workers by trying to undercut the market. only the bad ones with tiny profits, if any, have this mentality and you should avoid.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/whateverr_r/status/892063509739175936

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

if someone tries to make it all "omg you're being a real awkward nerd here by not telling us"

ive cleverly solved this by becoming a real awkward nerd full time

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have this horrible job for life.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

ive cleverly solved this by becoming a real awkward nerd full time

method acting for interviews

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I did the whole startup always running out of money thing.

just make sure you have you life setup so that you can be mobile. For me this was being single and having a month to month sublet with a few months salary saved up. if not the stress and the stress from you SO makes it not worth it.

also they are gonna be unlimited vacation so that they can avoid lump sums when you quit or they fold so take advantage of that to the max.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

KidDynamite posted:

signing a five year lease does not mean they have five years of runway. a cavalier attitude toward cash in a startup seems like a bad sign though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I like to take the Socratic approach.

:downs: how much do you currently make?
:grin: what's your maximum allocation?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

leper khan posted:

signing a five year lease does not mean they have five years of runway. a cavalier attitude toward cash in a startup seems like a bad sign though.
yeah. anyone can sign a long term lease, it just means the landlord will be in line with everyone else (and certainly ahead of you) at the liquidation preoceeding. when you ask "how much runway do you have" and the answer is "well, we signed a lease!" instead of "we have enough cash for three years of operations plus we are already planning a second round of fundraising" that should be a whole field of fluttering :redflag:s

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Went to an informational at a small-ish company (sub 100 employees), turned out to be a interview.

Because they are a small company, they said I'd be able to choose 1099 or W2, and that "there isn't much difference in pay rate between the two". lol ok

And that they are planning on adding benefits (e.g. Health Care+401(k) ) next year. I should have declined the "informational" opportunity, their website not having any info on benefits was a sign.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trip report on this:
dude took control of my screen and started drawing on it to tell me to stop talking (rubber duck debugging is good and cool)
also stopped my test when i got too far into a gangstaprogramming zone lean to tell me to fix my webcam
it also took about 30 minutes to actually start the test between showing my ID, getting connected, and having to move my webcam around the room to show i'm not a cheater

would NOT recommend ProctorU to anyone ever

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

also the test was 4 programming questions with no way to test/run them and the "syntax highlighting" in the text window only highlighted whatever it felt like
writing c# freehand is a pain in the dick when i only ever write it using the One True IDE Visual Studio

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shaman Linavi posted:

trip report on this:
dude took control of my screen and started drawing on it to tell me to stop talking (rubber duck debugging is good and cool)
also stopped my test when i got too far into a gangstaprogramming zone lean to tell me to fix my webcam
it also took about 30 minutes to actually start the test between showing my ID, getting connected, and having to move my webcam around the room to show i'm not a cheater

would NOT recommend ProctorU to anyone ever

why did you submit yourself to that?

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

leper khan posted:

why did you submit yourself to that?

That's what they have students do to intern there, unless you went to UWM, from my understanding.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

webcam

this is where you should've turned down the interview

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

just loving lol at giving a complete stranger remote access to your personal computer. i would've literally responded with "gently caress you" and nothing more in the email.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

also the test was 4 programming questions with no way to test/run them and the "syntax highlighting" in the text window only highlighted whatever it felt like
writing c# freehand is a pain in the dick when i only ever write it using the One True IDE Visual Studio

If you live in the area they make you do it with pencil and paper.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

qhat posted:

just loving lol at giving a complete stranger remote access to your personal computer. i would've literally responded with "gently caress you" and nothing more in the email.

nah its fine, you can trust the internet man, just remember to have your reflective compact disc at hand to show him your living quarters

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
you made a bad decision
the correct decision was noted by qhat

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

is cheating on tech interviews a thing? on "homework" I'd understand, but during an actual interview it seems like a terrible idea and it's pretty easy to tell

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i have no idea how you would cheat on a tech interview in person. and besides, they'll figure you out anyway if they are not completely incompetent.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cool av posted:

is cheating on tech interviews a thing? on "homework" I'd understand, but during an actual interview it seems like a terrible idea and it's pretty easy to tell

during a phone interview you often have people googling for the answer while they are talking. or they will have a friend listening in and telling them the answers or looking them up.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the last telephone interview i carried for my old company was also the biggest trainwreck interview i've ever seen. the guy couldn't answer a single basic compsci question correctly and was audibly typing in the background. at one point he described precisely what polymorphism is and how it relates to inheritance, but when asked what inheritance was, he didn't know. we sent an email to recruiting that day telling them that a follow up meeting wasn't necessary and to reject the guy instantly, which was rare.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

during a phone interview you often have people googling for the answer while they are talking. or they will have a friend listening in and telling them the answers or looking them up.

lol I had this happen once when I was giving an phone screen. it was soooo obvious

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

At first i was gonna say "oh just tell them that you don't have a webcam, and run the thing in a vm"

But then i realized that even if you passed this interview it'd just mean being accepted to a company that consists entirely of idiots who couldn't get into a company with a less demeaning interview process

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

At first i was gonna say "oh just tell them that you don't have a webcam, and run the thing in a vm"

But then i realized that even if you passed this interview it'd just mean being accepted to a company that consists entirely of idiots who couldn't get into a company with a less demeaning interview process

the only way to stop this practice from becoming standard is to reject it as a class.

I did my part by ending process with Facebook earlier this year. I wish I had a list of places that did this, so I could start a drive to have people start interviewing and terminate the process when they get to that point.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
passed my first coding screener.

and got my first we are not going to move forward email.

:unsmith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we really need a software union, or at least some kind of professional organization at this point

a good one; not the AMA of CS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lancemantis posted:

we really need a software union, or at least some kind of professional organization at this point

a good one; not the AMA of CS

hi, you're in the job hopping for big figgies thread. perhaps you meant to post this in the cjs thread or better yet gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

CJS: I make like 6k every two weeks after tax

• Locked thread