Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
poo poo, I just realized that our Queen is blocked in by the e5 pawn. Hubris that we thought they would take first!

Would xd4 be a stronger move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
h5 and release the rook

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Imma recap our strategy right now (the baby is the Rook): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jk_wd7Byk

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Talow posted:

I'm honestly torn between h5 and Bb4 at the moment.

Doesn't really accomplish anything right now. All it does is threaten a protected piece, and we might need that bishop for e7 in case white decides to stack towers and attack along d corridor.

D1 is right now the most protected square on the board, however, with Be7 we can protect d8 in a similar manner before we're ready to strike. We want that option in case white starts going for very aggressive play.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just to put it out there, we're on a interesting knife edge right now. White has a number of moves that can lead to victory, but so do actually we. If we can stack towers on d corridor, get the queen in line and move the bishop to take white knight, then a reveal along d corridor means we win.

However, that takes an inordinate amount of moves.

Conversely, if we have our h5, Knight on g4 and white fucks up and somehow moves a piece to block e2, a reveal of our e5 pawn leads to Qxh2+ then mate.

Lots of stuff that can happen, but it's really still pretty open. We're probably still going to have to hope for white to make a mistake at some point though.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Alright, fair enough. h5

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
h5 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5

White has 24 hours to decide on a move!

Also, as a housekeeping thing: I'm going to disregard players who haven't voted for the last 3 moves from the total needed from the current amount of moves needed, to ensure that the game can keep going as quickly as possible. If any of you busybodies feel like doing my beancounting for me, that would be greatly appreciated! (Those players are not expelled from the team or anything, and they'll be reintroduced to the count as soon as they cast their next vote!) :)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Covski, quick question:

There's a chess engine online that analyzes possible moves and rates the current position as a positive (if in White's favor) or negative (if in Black's favor) number; once this game's over, is it cool if I put the moves and numbers in and make a graph to show just how likely one side was to win/lose?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Snorb posted:

Covski, quick question:

There's a chess engine online that analyzes possible moves and rates the current position as a positive (if in White's favor) or negative (if in Black's favor) number; once this game's over, is it cool if I put the moves and numbers in and make a graph to show just how likely one side was to win/lose?

Absolutely! :)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Interesting, but predictable. Well, they don't have the support to go through d corridor yet, and if they try to stack, we should have the moves to thwart them.

No reason to lose a knight. Also, let's set up to see if we can fork that queen.

Ng4.

They gently caress up, we check with queen, they go h3 we just take e5 pawn, move the rook up d3 and stack.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hm. I'm tempted by making the rook trade, but given they have both rooks active that wouldn't accomplish much. Move the Knight or lose it, or force them to move by checking the king. D7 stops them trading rooks profitably, d5 and e4 are suicide, h7 and g8 set us back. Liking the look of g4, IF we are absolutely certain they can't mate us in short order.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

QxE5 is the best we have.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

QxE5 is the best we have.

Qxc6+ and we lose in a couple more moves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ng4

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Qxc6+ and we lose in a couple more moves.

You're right. QxE5 is the worst we've got. Ng4 sounds okay.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yeah, unless something better or worse comes up, floating Ng4

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Ng4 is the logical move to make in this situation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Agreeing with Ng4 - the pawn makes a nice defensive piece to backup our knight - will White be foolish enough to take the knight and give up their queen? Most likely not, so the knight will be protected.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They'll play it safe and move the Bishop back, so it's a free Pawn for us and forces them to move their Queen. Ng4

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Quick question before I vote: what's the next step if they don't move their bishop but instead initiate the exchange (15. Rxd8) or try to do something to force us to block up the d file again (15. Nd5 xd5 16. xd5)?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Davin Valkri posted:

Quick question before I vote: what's the next step if they don't move their bishop but instead initiate the exchange (15. Rxd8) or try to do something to force us to block up the d file again (15. Nd5 xd5 16. xd5)?

Honestly all of those moves would result in a much worse position for White. The knight loss to a pawn would be unacceptable, and the rook trade would only put our queen into a better position to threaten the back row.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ng4.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My concern with Ng4: what is our plan if they counter with Qf5+

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

oldskool posted:

My concern with Ng4: what is our plan if they counter with Qf5+

Kb7?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yup, it'd be a free rook stack and they'd weaken the defence of d1. We could take the knight with the bishop and force a mate.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ng4

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Tentative vote for now for Ng4; I'm guessing Rd5 would be a bad idea?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So I played a few games on this board state against an AI but playing as White and I won most times.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yup, it'd be a free rook stack and they'd weaken the defence of d1. We could take the knight with the bishop and force a mate.

I'm not seeing any path to mate here. D1 is defended by four pieces. I honestly believe we are doomed, even without hyperbole. White need to gently caress up massively - if I can win a majority of matches in this position as White, I'm pretty sure the highly competent White Team will be able to win. This is why I'd like to propose that we focus our strategy on reaching a draw or stalemate.

I've made an anonymous poll so we can come to a decision. I think it's best we go for the draw, but if people genuinely and earnestly believe we can pull a win, that's fine too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...what?

Of course we're going for a win, that's the whole reason we're playing this game. Why the hell would we surrender?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

...what?

Of course we're going for a win, that's the whole reason we're playing this game. Why the hell would we surrender?

Reaching a draw is considered a positive outcome if you're on a lost line. Surrendering is if we believe we're in such a terrible position we cannot even make that draw. I do not see victory as a possibility unless they gently caress up royally.

It's also considered good manners to surrender a lost game, to save the time of everyone involved.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
:smugissar:

No. We fight to the very last. If you are unwilling to do so, then choose to be silent as the rest of us do our all for victory.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

:smugissar:

No. We fight to the very last. If you are unwilling to do so, then choose to be silent as the rest of us do our all for victory.

Not losing is winning in itself. I'm saddened that people actually think this is winnable: it isn't.

Crosspeice posted:

gently caress off mate.

:sigh:

All I've done is point out that we're in an unwinnable situation unless they gently caress up (relying on gently caress ups is bad) and that we should be playing for the next best thing to victory. There is no need to be at all rude or hostile: this is a fun game, treat it as one. There's no need to repeatedly attack other posters.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 6, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gently caress off mate.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

All I've done is point out that we're in an unwinnable situation unless they gently caress up (relying on gently caress ups is bad) and that we should be playing for the next best thing to victory. There is no need to be at all rude or hostile: this is a fun game, treat it as one. There's no need to repeatedly attack other posters.

It is a traditional response to those advocating surrender. If you don't like it, merely refrain from advocating surrender, and the traditional response will thus not be invoked.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

It is a traditional response to those advocating surrender. If you don't like it, merely refrain from advocating surrender, and the traditional response will thus not be invoked.

I'm not advocating surrender. I'm advocating we play for a draw. Surrender is simply an option on the poll, an option which I'm against because I think it is possible to force a stalemate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but it's much more fun to play to win. We're not doing this for points or rankings in some kind of tournament or anything in which a draw would benefit us in any real way. Were playing a game together, and whether we win or lose, we want to play it to the end regardless. Surrendering/going for a deliberate stalemate is unfun and unsatisfying, it's like rage-quitting a video game because a boss is being unfair - certainly it's an option, but it's unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is an LP of a bunch of people playing chess as much for the demonstration of playing chess (as the main thread is no doubt observing us and commenting) which means that even should we lose - which is always a distinct possibility when playing black - we stand to learn a lot and gain a lot of knowhow from the aftermath and analysis of the chess nerds in the main thread.

We're not surrendering unless we know he have to. We have the most negative and monkeycheese player's word that we have to, which to be honest means exactly jack poo poo to me. In fact, why the hell are you consulting a chess computer when that was expressly forbidden from the very start of the game?

How about we just play it out, whether we win or lose, because that's what functioning adults and chess players do. We are none of us masters and we certainly don't need to throw a temper tantrum just because we aren't obviously winning. Also,

Crosspeice posted:

gently caress off mate.

• Locked thread