Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I honestly don't think Reed Richards and Tony Stark should be allowed to communicate with each other, since it always leads to terrible, terrible decision making, and look Tony Stark was at his most sympathetic when Reed Richards has disappeared from the universe (well at least until Stark got blown up).

I can't even remember which horrible decision this was, I'm guessing towards the start of Hickman's Avengers, so probably the decision not to tell anyone else about incursions (including the literal dozens super geniuses running around) and build weapons of mass genocide instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

He's not doing ASL, it's going to be made up Attilan signs.

On the one hand, it makes sense, since it would be really hard for him to be convincing in it at all. On the other hand, I'd be pretty annoyed about it if I was a broody looking deaf, dumb or even just ASL fluent actor who'd auditioned for the role

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the start of Civil War. Black Bolt is basically saying that there will be violence (fist) brought against them (you and you) before it is resolved.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Takezio posted:

...Okay, what other actual options are there? The other criticisms, yeah, I get those, but....What's wrong with signing? Seriously?

A lot of Black Bolt's power as a character is his ability to command you-seriously-don't-want-to-gently caress-with-this-guy-because-he-will-end-your-world level respect with only a look or the most basic hand gestures. Giving him more complex communication options makes Black Bolt less interesting. In my completely meaningless random internet guy opinion, it's a bad decision on the part of the production team.

Of course, it also makes Black Bolt MUCH easier to write, which is clearly the hope. I don't imagine they have writers good enough to support a willfully mute main character for any length of time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I would just like to say this is a far better name than Hulk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ecavalli posted:

A lot of Black Bolt's power as a character is his ability to command you-seriously-don't-want-to-gently caress-with-this-guy-because-he-will-end-your-world level respect with only a look or the most basic hand gestures. Giving him more complex communication options makes Black Bolt less interesting. In my completely meaningless random internet guy opinion, it's a bad decision on the part of the production team.

Of course, it also makes Black Bolt MUCH easier to write, which is clearly the hope. I don't imagine they have writers good enough to support a willfully mute main character for any length of time.

You're wrong though because the current Black Bolt book that has him talking is the best book I'm reading right now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A resounding condemnation of the state of comics.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Namor knows what's up.

drat right he does.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJQNdkg0PE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

X-O posted:

You're wrong though because the current Black Bolt book that has him talking is the best book I'm reading right now.
I don't know, every page I've seen from it seems pretty boilerplate. Not bad or anything, just, y'know "AMC presents a Comic with Production Values" kind-of vibe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Every issue of Black Bolt has been very atmospheric to read through. It's a fantastic read.

I'm not sure if that would really come through from random pages posted though, but I'm pretty eager to read it each month.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I would just like to say this is a far better name than Hulk.

That seems surprisingly verbose for the classic Hulk. I guess Dutch people don't go in for the whole "Hulk/Bonk refers to himself in the third person" thing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Very early on, Hulk's grammar and general intellect was a lot better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Leader mentions that he's speaking more intelligently.

Not sure where this is from, the Dutch Hulk comics I read as a kid just called him Hulk.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

davidspackage posted:

The Leader mentions that he's speaking more intelligently.

Not sure where this is from, the Dutch Hulk comics I read as a kid just called him Hulk.
Hip Comics first published some Marvel comics in the Netherlands and Belgium in the 1960s. Their first attempts at translating was something to behold. I mean "bonkknots"? That's not even a word.

Contra Joop? :psyduck:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 5, 2017

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Z-O-Z-

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spider-Man: Een hyper hysterische kraker

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have to say, 1960s Dutch publishers were pretty crappy at coming up with logos.

It looks like the art was recolored as well. I guess Marvel just sent over copies of the original b&w pages.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

I have to say, 1960s Dutch publishers were pretty crappy at coming up with logos.

It looks like the art was recolored as well. I guess Marvel just sent over copies of the original b&w pages.

I wonder if you could specify printer colors in one country and get the same colors in another. Maybe they had different systems that made things turn out a little differently.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Raygereio posted:

Because of our word "contra" and its meaning as something like opposite I like to think that in Dutch they aren't saying Spider-Man is amazing but that he's Not Average.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lobok posted:

Because of our word "contra" and its meaning as something like opposite I like to think that in Dutch they aren't saying Spider-Man is amazing but that he's Not Average.

Joop is what they're calling "Joe." So, just "Spider-Man: Versus Joop," or, as we learn further down the page, "very ordinary Joop" ("just a guy named Joe," of course, in the original).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I choose to believe Lobok anyway, as it implies that there are Average Spider-Men and leaves things vague about whether this Spider-Man is above or below average. He is merely Not Average.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Archyduke posted:

Joop is what they're calling "Joe." So, just "Spider-Man: Versus Joop," or, as we learn further down the page, "very ordinary Joop" ("just a guy named Joe," of course, in the original).

I did see Joop the second time and didn't think my idea was in all seriousness actually that nutty because I thought that text box said something like "Just An Average Guy!" Otherwise I didn't get how the word could refer to that issue's story and somehow also be in the masthead describing Spider-Man. Didn't even think it was a proper noun because everything's capitalized.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doc Hawkins posted:

I didn't know JudgeEarth had off-world colonies. In what way are they even worse?

There are also alien races who occasionally show up in Mega City 1, to such an extent that it's not unusual. Generally they are jerks.

I also remember that there were frequent enough mention of the Mega Cities having off world armies involved in far flung wars (highly implied that they are out on foreign planets blowing up the natives and taking their stuff.)

In fact after one of the last big events blew up most of the population of Mega City One, they had to call back a whole load of the troops to maintain law and order.
The big takeaway was that soldiers are really good at military actions. But awful at policing because they don't have the training on how to interact with communities and prevent crimes. Apart from the "use gun on man" method.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Raygereio posted:

Hip Comics first published some Marvel comics in the Netherlands and Belgium in the 1960s. Their first attempts at translating was something to behold. I mean "bonkknots"? That's not even a word.

Goddamn, those cracked me up. Spinneman...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If we're talking about bad localization, Spider-man was originally known in France as "L’Araignée" (The Spider). That's fine, really, "L'Homme-Araignée" is too many syllables to be catchy. The problem came in the 90s when the localized the Fox cartoon and decided to rechristen him "Speeder-man", which is Spider-man read phonetically in French. It was surreal and I have no idea why they went for that, especially since the 60s cartoon had already used "L’Araignée". I think Speeder-man is still his localized name to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT924nUtVQ&t=18s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Frankly I'm more distracted by Stan Lee (at least, I'm assuming that's him writing that blurb on the cover, sure sounds like him) calling a new villain a prize pussycat. Was that ever a thing people were called?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Lurdiak posted:

If we're talking about bad localization, Spider-man was originally known in France as "L’Araignée" (The Spider). That's fine, really, "L'Homme-Araignée" is too many syllables to be catchy.

Same in German. Up until the 80s/90s, Spidey was known here as "Die Spinne" (The Spider), which was weird because we have those gender-specific articles, and "die" is female.

Some covers:
http://www.wmca.de/cover_galerien/spinne/cover_spinne_1.htm

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Same in German. Up until the 80s/90s, Spidey was known here as "Die Spinne" (The Spider), which was weird because we have those gender-specific articles, and "die" is female.

Some covers:

Doktor Unheil :doom:

A lot of these covers say that it also features the adventures of Aquarius. Is that a Marvel hero or was it an original creation they tacked onto it? Edit: Oh, it's Namor.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 5, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dave Syndrome posted:

Some covers:

In Spider-Man versus Wolverine (was it "versus"?), where Peter Parker goes to Berlin without his costume, he winds up getting one from a costume shop that says "DIE SPINNE" on the back.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If I'm not mistaken, Dutch localization (post-Spinneman) removed the hyphen from Spider-man, for some reason.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dave Syndrome posted:

Some covers:
Why is it suddenly Memrod der Jäger? I am German, but still have no idea about this. Did the localizers fear that we would pronounce "Kraven" weirdly?
I guess in this version he owns a hot rod.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 5, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My guess is it's an attempt to preserve the homophone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Or a reference to Biblical hunter Nimrod

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The big takeaway was that soldiers are really good at military actions. But awful at policing because they don't have the training on how to interact with communities and prevent crimes. Apart from the "use gun on man" method.

British comic continues to be the most accurate lens through which to view American society, news at 11.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

purple death ray posted:

Or a reference to Biblical hunter Nimrod
Ah! Both! I couldn't figure out why the "rod" - memme is Google German for craven.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway Batman was translated as Lyn-Vingen:

(which translates into the Flash-Wing)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
To me the funniest Batman name will always be the Swedish one...

It simly means "Bat", but to my German ears it sounds like "Leder" (leather) and "Lappen" (an old cloth used for cleaning).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm more distracted by Stan Lee (at least, I'm assuming that's him writing that blurb on the cover, sure sounds like him) calling a new villain a prize pussycat. Was that ever a thing people were called?
It was the late 60s in NYC, he worked a job that required an immense workload round the clock, and he dressed like a lounge lizard. Do the loving math.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dave Syndrome posted:

To me the funniest Batman name will always be the Swedish one...

It simly means "Bat", but to my German ears it sounds like "Leder" (leather) and "Lappen" (an old cloth used for cleaning).

That's essentially it, a more precise translation would be The Leather Patch.

Batman's shameful secret, indeed.