Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheMadMilkman posted:

Okay, I want to pick up a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 as my next console, but I need some advice.

I want to be able to play all (or nearly all -- screw SuperGrafx for now) the PC Engine games as easily as possible. From what I can gather, the easiest way to do this is to grab a Duo-R or Duo-RX, along with an Everdrive and an Arcade card to handle the few CD games that require it. I'd pick up an RGB-modded one from MonitorBurn, since I play through a Framemeister.

The issue is that I also like to purchase carts for my favorite games for each system, and would like to be able to play those directly. Yes, I realize that there is effectively no difference between using a HuCard and using an Everdrive, but among pointless idiosyncrasies this one is pretty tame for the retro gaming thread. These would almost certainly include a few US HuCards, which means that I need a way to be able to play games from both regions.

My options seem to be a region switch mod, a converter card, buying and RGB modding a US TG-16, or buying a PCE and having it RGB modded + rewired for US region HuCards.

I'm probably overthinking this, which is why I'm asking for opinions. Also, if anyone wants to talk me into buying a PCE + CD-ROM and interface unit, feel free. My chief concern is reliability.

A Duo-R / Duo-RX will probably be your easiest option. If you already have a PC Engine console (and doubly so if it's already been RGB modded), then there's merit to using the CD-ROM interface and drive combo, but I wouldn't especially say it's going to be that advantageous to go for one if you're starting fresh. I use one, but that's because I didn't throw in for broad spectrum game library playback all at once, the way you're planning to.

Since the Duo systems are technically "newer", there is probably more play life left in them "as-is" than with the older add-on CD-ROM drives. That said, your most likely failure points in the CD-ROM drive are going to be the laser or the gears that spin the disc no matter what, but I think it's possible to get replacements for both on Ebay still, if you really needed to.

Don't bother with the "modless" stuff RZA Encryption linked, in my opinion. There's no cost advantage over having Monitor Burn do the work internally to begin with, you're dangling a big flimsy PCB out the back of the console (which you'll then need to run a cable from the board to your display, anyway - more ungainliness), and it won't work on a Duo system (no expansion port), nor would it be good even for a PCE/CD-ROM interface unit combo (because it blocks the expansion port).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If anyone's lookin for a cheap Everdrive GB's, Stone Age Gamer has them on clearance while they wait for Krikzz's refresh of it.
Are there known issues with it to be addressed with the refresh?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Okay, I want to pick up a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 as my next console, but I need some advice.

I want to be able to play all (or nearly all -- screw SuperGrafx for now) the PC Engine games as easily as possible. From what I can gather, the easiest way to do this is to grab a Duo-R or Duo-RX, along with an Everdrive and an Arcade card to handle the few CD games that require it. I'd pick up an RGB-modded one from MonitorBurn, since I play through a Framemeister.

The issue is that I also like to purchase carts for my favorite games for each system, and would like to be able to play those directly. Yes, I realize that there is effectively no difference between using a HuCard and using an Everdrive, but among pointless idiosyncrasies this one is pretty tame for the retro gaming thread. These would almost certainly include a few US HuCards, which means that I need a way to be able to play games from both regions.

My options seem to be a region switch mod, a converter card, buying and RGB modding a US TG-16, or buying a PCE and having it RGB modded + rewired for US region HuCards.

I'm probably overthinking this, which is why I'm asking for opinions. Also, if anyone wants to talk me into buying a PCE + CD-ROM and interface unit, feel free. My chief concern is reliability.

You probably already know this, but to flesh out the info in your post:

The Everdrive supports region switching on the card itself. So if you were predominantly gravitating your legit stuff to one region or the other, the Everdrive can be configured accordingly to minimize shuffling.

The difference between US and Japan HuCards (and the interface for reading them) is the pinout, so in the grand scheme of things a physical switch isn't particularly difficult to implement, and if you get a doujindance hotglue special (or the clean MonitorBurn treatment) it will likely have this; on mine from doujindance it's just inside the HuCard reader area and when you close the lid you can't see it, so from an aesthetics perspective that's probably going to be your best option.

A Duo-R(X) paired with a Turbo Everdrive and an Arcade card will play absolutely everything the system has to offer, excluding the 6 SuperGraphx games which are a pointless place to go. It would need modding for RGB but is definitely considered the way to go.

For CD-ROM games the only oddity is that Altered Beast needs a 1.0 CD-ROM boot card (it crashes on newer versions) but I'm pretty sure you can load that 1.0 boot ROM onto the Turbo Everdrive and it'll work.

Some complementary info not explicitly related but good to know:

- US and JP Controllers aren't inter-compatible directly due to a different connector, but are easy to convert and get extensions for, as they're a standard port type.
- All TG16 and PCE systems out of the box only have 1 controller port, so you need a multi-tap for 2 or more players. Multi-tap gives you 5 controller ports, and if you get 6-button controllers you can use 2 of those in the first two ports.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 4, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you Red Eye, now I don't need to use a proxy to get my Pal Gamecube to start up in GBI anymore. Also finally figure out the settings so I have the GBI-LL mode start up in a zoom that doesn't hurt the picture at all. That said I have to make two separate autoexec for it, as the Gameboy settings are far too zoomed in for the GBA.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are there known issues with it to be addressed with the refresh?

Realignment with the rest of the Everdrive line using the x3/x5/x7 nomenclature. The x7 adds some hotly requested features like RTC. I don't recall reading any power issues from that random guy's blog about the GB but then again I didn't give it much credence.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Collectors question, since I can't seem to find a straight answer online. I have a copy of Majora's Mask for the N64. It's a gold cart with a hologram label. Was this how they were normally made and sold when the game came out or is it *SPECIAL* I bought this when the game came out.

Also. I'm using the Price Charting.com collection tool to log all the stuff i'm finding. I dug out my genesis and N64 games. Those with the NES games I recently found/bought i'm close to hitting $700. :stare: I had no IDEA!

I also found my copy of Quackshot and I Am So Happy. :neckbeard: This game is awesome.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 4, 2017

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BigRed0427 posted:

Collectors question, since I can't seem to find a straight answer online. I have a copy of Majora's Mask for the N64. It's a gold cart with a hologram label. Was this how they were normally mand and sold when the game came out or is it [/b]*SPECIAL*[/b]

Hologram? Or the kind of label which has the miniature ridges where if you rock it back and forth it usually shows two frames of a short animation? (I wish I knew the name for that).

I'm pretty sure all carts were the latter (albeit without much animation, so maybe it looks holographic) so if there's a true hologram label that would be news to me.

EDIT: Lenticular printing is the phrase I was looking for, apparently.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 4, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hologram? Or the kind of label which has the miniature ridges where if you rock it back and forth it usually shows two frames of a short animation? (I wish I knew the name for that).

I'm pretty sure all carts were the latter (albeit without much animation, so maybe it looks holographic) so if there's a true hologram label that would be news to me.

YEah, it's the thing where you rock the cart back and forth and the image looks like it's moving. I always thought that was what they were called. So it would be considered a normal Majora's Mask cart then?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigRed0427 posted:

Collectors question, since I can't seem to find a straight answer online. I have a copy of Majora's Mask for the N64. It's a gold cart with a hologram label. Was this how they were normally made and sold when the game came out or is it *SPECIAL*

Also. I'm using the Price Charting.com collection tool to log all the stuff i'm finding. I dug out my genesis and N64 games. Those with the NES games I recently found/bought i'm close to hitting $700. :stare: I had no IDEA!

I also found my copy of Quackshot and I Am So Happy. :neckbeard: This game is awesome.

All of the Majora's Mask carts are gold and the holographic label is the first print version (akin to the Ocarina of Time gold carts). Later revisions of the game just had a standard label on a gold cartridge. They aren't like exclusive VIP versions or whatever if that's what you're wondering. Mine's a holo label and mom got it for me in a Sears catalog order, probably weeks after the game was released.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 4, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The word you guys are looking for is lenticular lens

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The word you guys are looking for is lenticular lens

Thank You :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BigRed0427 posted:

Hell fuckin' yeah it is.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thanks for the responses. I think the Duo-R with a region switch will be the best option.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Realignment with the rest of the Everdrive line using the x3/x5/x7 nomenclature. The x7 adds some hotly requested features like RTC. I don't recall reading any power issues from that random guy's blog about the GB but then again I didn't give it much credence.

He specifically noted that the GB Everdrive wouldn't have the same issues because no voltage conversion is required.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

Collectors question, since I can't seem to find a straight answer online. I have a copy of Majora's Mask for the N64. It's a gold cart with a hologram label. Was this how they were normally made and sold when the game came out or is it *SPECIAL* I bought this when the game came out.

Gold Majora's are very common. Gold Ocarina's are more rare, but still not crazy rare or anything.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheMadMilkman posted:

Thanks for the responses. I think the Duo-R with a region switch will be the best option.

He specifically noted that the GB Everdrive wouldn't have the same issues because no voltage conversion is required.

Just picked one up and am about to send it off to be modded. Great system, highly recommend.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I found a tandy rgb monitor at the local thrift store for 2 dollars!

Now I just need to figure out how to hook my rgb nes to it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

So I found a tandy rgb monitor at the local thrift store for 2 dollars!

Now I just need to figure out how to hook my rgb nes to it.

What model is it?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Random Stranger posted:

What's that retrogame thread? You're not getting enough jealousy in your diet? Well, I guess I can help you there. Let me take you for a ride.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for the Xbox. $1. :dance:

The Super Famicom is among the cheapest consoles to import because there's so drat many of them in Japan. But do not get one unless you're planning on just using Super Famicom carts. While SFC carts easily fit into a SNES with just a pair of pliers to get the nasty bits out of the way, SNES carts do not fit in SFC systems at all. You'd need to get some kind of slot extender which I'm sure exists, but save yourself the headache.

I had mvc2 for ps2 in high school and sold it for like $20 before college and regretted it.

Then, when moving out of the dorms at the end of my soph or junior year, I found a copy of it just sitting in the grass outside. Just a purple disc data-side-up. Freebie!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Regular Nintendo posted:

I had mvc2 for ps2 in high school and sold it for like $20 before college and regretted it.

Then, when moving out of the dorms at the end of my soph or junior year, I found a copy of it just sitting in the grass outside. Just a purple disc data-side-up. Freebie!

Very cool. My guess, if this was close to the dorms like it sounds, is that some game got extremely heated, the loser or someone got super-pissed, and ripped the game out of the console and frisbee'd it out the window.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regular Nintendo posted:

When you love something set it free, etc

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Very cool. My guess, if this was close to the dorms like it sounds, is that some game got extremely heated, the loser or someone got super-pissed, and ripped the game out of the console and frisbee'd it out the window.

"Stop picking Sentinel!" *wheeee*

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What model is it?

It's a 25-1023A

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Important questions for those who have or grew up with the NES in PAL territories:

Does Super Mario Bros actually sound like this on a PAL system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dt-yiZ_QYg

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes it does, a lot of PAL games have hosed up sound or physics because it was a lot of effort to redo it for the lower framerate. Probably for SMB1 they just sped up the game in general by 17% and didn't bother messing with the sound code.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SMB1 is literally the same ROM in all territories so I'm guessing they did exactly enough so the game would function on PAL systems and left it at that, I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for other games where there isn't a distinct European ROM.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Important questions for those who have or grew up with the NES in PAL territories:

Does Super Mario Bros actually sound like this on a PAL system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dt-yiZ_QYg

This looks like it was sped up.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's a 25-1023A

Pretty sure that's a CGA monitor, if so it won't take analog RGB. How many pins are there on the video cable?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's a 25-1023A

So a Tandy CM-5, most likely, from what I'm finding when looking for those numbers.

Apparently, they're "Tandy CGA", meaning they do both CGA PC video modes and also the couple of special video modes that Tandy-brand computers could output. It uses a 9 pin D-sub connector (about the same size and shape as a VGA plug, but with fewer pins).

Here are the upshots for why adapting an RGB-capable console to display on it might be possible:

CGA monitors have individual RGB lines, so it should be possible route the RGB from something like a SCART connector into one.
CGA monitors also have a 15.7 kHz horizontal refresh rate, which is the same frequency most old consoles run at (and also why they can't be used on most new monitors, which are ~31 kHz and typically don't scan below that).

Here are the pitfalls:

No telling how a monitor ostensibly designed for the fairly strict video mode confines of the IBM PC will handle the less-standard video modes of game consoles.
CGA monitors apparently work with separate horizontal and vertical syncs, rather than one combined / "composite" sync signal that most game console RGB uses. It might be possible to run the console composite sync over the horizontal sync line and have it work that way, but otherwise, you might be looking at have to convert your game console sync output somehow.

Your eyes glazed over and bleeding yet?

That said, it probably wouldn't be that expensive to try. Get a female SCART plug, solder up the matching signal pins on a D-sub/DE-9 plug to it, and cross your fingers. If it doesn't work, then you're hitting the mindbender zone and things begin to get messy.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I wanna get into Amiga emulation, but I've noticed that a lot of the games made for it were also made for other home computers, particularly the Commodore 64

What are some games that were better on the Commodore 64 (or any other computer) than the Amiga?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Willo567 posted:

I wanna get into Amiga emulation, but I've noticed that a lot of the games made for it were also made for other home computers, particularly the Commodore 64

What are some games that were better on the Commodore 64 (or any other computer) than the Amiga?

Almost no games were better on the Commodore 64 than on the Amiga. Most later Amiga games were better on IBM PC, when they were worth playing at all except to attempt to clone PC-only games to the restricted and mid-80s TV as monitor focused Amiga hardware. Most actually good Amiga games got good PC ports or Genesis/SNES ports later as well.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

univbee posted:

SMB1 is literally the same ROM in all territories so I'm guessing they did exactly enough so the game would function on PAL systems and left it at that, I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for other games where there isn't a distinct European ROM.

SMB1 is one of the few games Nintendo fixed the physics/timing for PAL, not just music. They even fixed some obscure bugs not fixed in the NTSC releases. I'm sure they gave up doing it for every game soon after realizing the monumental effort it took, instead of taking the easy path Russia did with the Dendy.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fishmech posted:

Almost no games were better on the Commodore 64 than on the Amiga. Most later Amiga games were better on IBM PC, when they were worth playing at all except to attempt to clone PC-only games to the restricted and mid-80s TV as monitor focused Amiga hardware. Most actually good Amiga games got good PC ports or Genesis/SNES ports later as well.

I mean, I've looked up videos of both Last Ninja and Wizball, and I've read that they're better games on the 64.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I prefer c64 turrican over the amiga version.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

those ports are often super spotty, and it's not really worth going for especially the Genesis/SNES versions when you could just fire up WinUAE and play the non-crap versions instead

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

UnhandledException posted:

SMB1 is one of the few games Nintendo fixed the physics/timing for PAL, not just music. They even fixed some obscure bugs not fixed in the NTSC releases. I'm sure they gave up doing it for every game soon after realizing the monumental effort it took, instead of taking the easy path Russia did with the Dendy.

OTOH they didn't fix the title screen demo so Mario just dies part way through it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

those ports are often super spotty, and it's not really worth going for especially the Genesis/SNES versions when you could just fire up WinUAE and play the non-crap versions instead

Lol, "non-crap" "Amiga game".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Lol, "non-crap" "Amiga game".

Team17's stuff was largely solid, Shadow of the Beast is fun (and one of the ones I was specifically thinking of when I said the 16-bit console ports are jank- the US Genesis version is absolute poo poo), Zool is a decent platformer, Sensible Soccer is a goddamn classic, SWIV is shockingly good for a Euroshmup

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
That you have to say "largely solid", "shockingly good for a euroshmup" and so on says it all doesn't it? Also Shadow Of The Beast is one of those games where the designer explicitly thinks pointless difficulty makes a game good, and that really shows when you try to play it on any version (lose all your hit points? start from the beginning! gently caress you kids!). I mean yeah the NTSC console ports specifically ran too fast because the developers were only targeting the PAL releases, but the designers just considered the extra difficulty to be a happy accident.

And Zool is just another dumb platformer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Team17's stuff was largely solid,

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

the Alien Breed games are dope as gently caress, Superfrog is fun, Super Stardust owns and Worms needs no explanation (even if the first installment is a little primitive)

i said "largely" solid mostly because that one fighting game they made is lovely

e: also, seriously, I only have that problem with the Genesis version of Beast. the Amiga version is still hard but not gently caress-you hard.

• Locked thread