Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You're not really meant to start HL until you own 14 heroes, though it's technically possible. I've been playing for a few months and still haven't done any HL, I have too much fun getting everyone to level 5 (I've got ~half of them there so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Am I missing something with Jaina's Ring of Frost ult? It seems like sometimes people will clearly be in it and not get rooted.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Am I missing something with Jaina's Ring of Frost ult? It seems like sometimes people will clearly be in it and not get rooted.

I believe it only roots around the edges. Middle only does damage IIRC.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Correct, unless you got the level 20 upgrade that no one takes.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Ring of Frost doesn't do any damage in the middle unless you take the level 20 talent, and even then it's delayed damage.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

beejay posted:

I'm not sure what amuses (depresses) me most. Watching ads for fake money, the guy on reddit who figured out how to only spend $132 instead of $140 and posted detailed instructions, the people that complain they should get more for their $140, or the people who say we must help Blizzard, Twitch, and the esports organizations by giving them money, even if the rewards aren't that great. These for profit corporations need our help. Ok it's that last one.

What do you even get for $140? Is it just donating that many bits gets you something special or what?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Two keeps down, two minutes into braxis holdout :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nechronic posted:

It's a bad map

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I believe it only roots around the edges. Middle only does damage IIRC.

Oh wow, good to know I've been using it wrong this whole time. What's a good lvl 20 for her?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Even if it is, can that even be blamed on the map? Have the beacons even popped at two minutes in?

PantsBandit posted:

Oh wow, good to know I've been using it wrong this whole time. What's a good lvl 20 for her?

Ice Block if you're in any danger of getting jumped.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ring of frost always felt like more of a pile on CC to me, it's too easy to avoid. Someone get stunned or rooted, use ring of frost to extend the root. I much prefer Water Elemental unless the team already has lots of roots that I can benefit from.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

Even if it is, can that even be blamed on the map? Have the beacons even popped at two minutes in?

Maybe the crushing weight of how bad and the worst out of all the maps that map is took away all the team's energy to play the game and couldn't fight against the push.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Macaluso posted:

Maybe the crushing weight of how bad and the worst out of all the maps that map is took away all the team's energy to play the game and couldn't fight against the push.

I thought you said it was Braxis, not Battlefield of Eternity? :confused:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wait people don't like Battlefield of Eternity? I though BoE, TotSQ, Infernal Shrines, Dragon Shire, and ToD were the only maps people liked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

I thought you said it was Braxis, not Battlefield of Eternity? :confused:

Nechronic posted:

:confused:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Braxis would be way better if you filled your bar by holding one point and filled it even faster by holding two that way there's still incentive to capture both but you don't get as many situations where nothing has happened for 10 minutes because you keep trading capture points.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zerg not showing up fast enough/often enough is certainly not the problem with Braxis.

This is why dragon shire is the better map - dancing around beacons is the core dynamic gameplay in both but in Braxis the punishment for failing is way too extreme, and holding the points on dragon shire prevent you from pushing for a bit. Having there be three points means you don't lose the objectuve as soon as one team member dies.

(It's the opposite problem from haunted mines where the objectives and forts are too far apart and the payoff is too small.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 4, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

whoosh

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I was commenting on the fact that you called the non-worst map the worst map.

No Wave posted:

Wait people don't like Battlefield of Eternity? I though BoE, TotSQ, Infernal Shrines, Dragon Shire, and ToD were the only maps people liked.

Battlefield is very easily the worst, followed by Mines, followed by pretty much anything else being way more tolerable.

(Also this is opinion, obviously.)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Official Battlefield Power Ranking

Towers of Doom = Sky Temple = Dragon Shire = Good
Infernal Shrines
Cursed Hollow
Garden of Terror = Braxis Holdout = Tomb of the Spider Queen
Warhead Junction = Battlefield of Eternity = Haunted Mines
Hanamura
Blackheart's Bay = poo poo

All brawls that aren't the Stitches one are awful

Hope that helps

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azmodunk brawl though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

Maybe my issue with Thrall is that the butcher murders him and I play against the butcher every game. Or, more plausibly, I played badly in one game and came here and immediately bitched about it.

I typically have zero problems dealing with Butcher as Thrall. I take the reduced cost/double charge Chain Lighting Quest at 1, Mana Tide at 4, and Maelstrom Weapon. Farm up your Chain Lightning until you get Maelstrom Weapon and then use Windfury to generate stacks/trade damage. A good rule of thumb is to throw your dog and run away if you get branded because there's no way you're going to win a trade when Butcher is healing off of you. Once you get enough damage on your autos, you'll be able to handle Butcher a lot more effectively.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't hate BHB with a passion but this might be the first Brawl I skip. Website said 2 games for the chest, in-game says 3. Fuuuuck that.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
It's actually not that bad. There are some bigger chests that take a while to break and forts give coins so the correct strategy is actually to teamfight, as opposed to just rotating between merc camps for 30 minutes and right clicking blackheart while they clear them. Usually ends at level 15-ish.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
That Medivh, though. Talk about flawless...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gustav posted:

It's actually not that bad. There are some bigger chests that take a while to break and forts give coins so the correct strategy is actually to teamfight, as opposed to just rotating between merc camps for 30 minutes and right clicking blackheart while they clear them. Usually ends at level 15-ish.

All of my games ended up being 10 minutes or less because either the enemy team didn't have a clue or my team didn't.

And then I got an all-common, all-dupe chest anyway.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The new Blackheart's brawl is 10000% more tolerable when you're playing Warcraft II music in the background.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why does the weekly collection update get updated just kinda whenever.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I pulled 2 Zergy Pajamathurs out of crates today. NOT EVEN MAD.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Just to clarify on the two keeps, two minutes Braxis Holdout match.

The teams did four-man pushes in opposite lanes and both sides claimed a Keep. It wasn't one team taking two keeps like I assumed at first read.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Toshimo posted:

I pulled 2 Zergy Pajamathurs out of crates today. NOT EVEN MAD.

I started playing Abathur just because I got the skin. Too bad the locusts don't have cute pajamas, or the abomination thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lucifirius posted:

Too bad the locusts don't have cute pajamas

They turn into little choo-choo trains though! :3:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kyrosiris posted:

I wish the Abomination turned into a giant teddy bear our something.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah but it's too subtle for a legendary skin, and doesn't stand out enough.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013

lucifirius posted:

Yeah but it's too subtle for a legendary skin, and doesn't stand out enough.

Almost like Blizzard were really arbitrary about what counted as Legendary skins following the 2.0 rebranding. Pajamathur used to be Epic in the old system, so it'd make sense that it would be understated.

Still utterly adorable, though. :3:

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

No Wave posted:

Apparently there was a hots 2.0 tutorial and the challenge reward only happens if you didn't do that. Maybe it was available during the 2.0 launch for everyone idk.

I got it a day later, how odd.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
That last match on HGC was a great summary of warhead junction

also rip NA, so garbage

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Give me Garrosh early blizz

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Watching these Western Clash games, it becomes painfully obvious that there are some heroes which just aren't played at these higher levels. Is it this level of play that Blizzard generally makes hero changes for, or is it more of a 50/50 combination of high tier play and player suggestions?

Azmodan, Butcher, Murky, Probius, Cho'Gall, Zagara, Kerrigan, Nazeebo, Sgt. Hammer and at least three others are nowhere to be seen...this seems like a not-negligible # of potential heroes that just dont see use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sensual Simian posted:

Watching these Western Clash games, it becomes painfully obvious that there are some heroes which just aren't played at these higher levels. Is it this level of play that Blizzard generally makes hero changes for, or is it more of a 50/50 combination of high tier play and player suggestions?

Azmodan, Butcher, Murky, Probius, Cho'Gall, Zagara, Kerrigan, Nazeebo, Sgt. Hammer and at least three others are nowhere to be seen...this seems like a not-negligible # of potential heroes that just dont see use.

As heroes fain win rating, the #meta changes and when it becomes apparent a particular hero or playstyle (i.e., stun lock) becomes to powerful, a balance patch is released that changes the #meta and then primo picks at all levels of play change a little.

No one could possibly hope to keep 40+ heroes in perfect balance with all strategies balanced and competitive. This is something that happens in every competitive video game.

E: a year ago it was assured that Uther, tyrande would either be picked or banned every game.