Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/FYu10Bd.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’d like to see a physics diagram showing all the ways this was doomed to failure from the get go

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If he had succeeded his friends would have just mashed their heads together into paste. Does anyone have the video where two dudes do that?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’d like to see a physics diagram showing all the ways this was doomed to failure from the get go

It might have worked if he hadn't pushed off the wall just as he went over.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lol, fox news sure loves hiring creepy perverts;

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-bolling-fox-news-suspended-accused-lewd-photos-colleagues/

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

will be receiving immediate sixes.

Please dont stuff me in a priority mail box, nice Birb Lady. :ohdear:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hardcore propagandists tend to have mental issues apparently

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can feel the wind knocked out of me just watching.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
From askamanager.com. Original question: Is the work environment I've created on my time too exclusive?

quote:

I’m writing this question based on feedback received from an exit interview.

A woman in her mid-30’s left my department after a little over a year. When giving her notice, she commented that she was taking a job closer to home (she had an hour commute each way some days) and had wanted to go back to a position closer to her original line of work. Her senior team members and I were sad to see her go.

HR sent me the results of her exit interview and wanted to discuss “the cultural problems in my department.” On the exit interview, the former employee mentioned that my staff leaves at lunch one day per week to go to a brewery for a beer run (which is true, I allow this) and she was often the only team member in the office; her fellow associates were unwilling to assist her and spent time on social media such as Snapchat, creating an exclusive environment (she was more quiet, older than the 20somethings in the position, and not as much into social media); and that interdepartmental relationships created power dynamics that ruined morale (one of my newly promoted seniors was sleeping with an associate and it wasn’t noticed by me or any other executives).

I don’t feel like this is a cultural issue; I think this was her not being a good fit for our team. I do allow my staff to go to breweries as long as they have coverage. I encourage my staff to be friends in and outside of work and I cannot monitor relationships. At no point did the employee bring this to my attention during our informal one-on-ones. She was extremely quiet and kept to herself, and she didn’t mingle with the team because of her commute and commitments she had (she’s married with a kid and had recently bought a house).

Am I in the wrong or is the former employee just out of touch with how a team of professional millenials works?

More details:

quote:

There was more to this that came out after she left:
Her co-workers in her pod had taken pictures of her and captioned them inappropriately on SnapChat-making fun of her weight, her clothes/style, how much water she drank etc. Someone who had seen them had saved them and also complained to HR. When I find out who complained, I want to move them to another team.

We are in insurance/brokerage firm as part of a larger Fortune 500 company. The brewery was owned by a company whose business we were trying to attract. No one ever asked her but just assumed that she would cover for them because she had made statements that she wasn’t a drinker anyway.

The associates sleeping with one another was knowledge across the team by that point but not to me. They did work on the same accounts so they were reporting to one another.

I’m 28 and this was my first management job; I wanted to build a team that would work well with me and share my ideas of a good time so work is fun. If I knew she would have been like this, I would have pushed back on my director not to hire her in favor for someone younger but she had a fantastic background that wowed my higher ups.

And the payoff:

quote:

I was fired today without severance. When my letter was published, I was already on suspension based on the exit interview investigation, poor management practices and complaints from other areas, none of which I believe are accurate. HR and the management team stated I had mismanaged my team and the ex-employee. I had given assignments meant for her and assigned to her by my director to other members on the team because I wanted to develop them, including my newly promoted senior. As a manager, I knew my team better. Giving special assignments to her, even though it was her role, screwed over my long term team members who would complain to me. I had also downgraded her end-of-year evaluation. I don’t think she deserved the praise she received from the sales staff, my director and client executives. Her work just wasn’t that good to me. I thought if my team and I froze her out, she would leave. I called it un-managing.

My team found her quietness and her ability to develop sales presentations and connect with each client was very show-off-like. When she asked for help, we didn’t take it seriously because we thought she acted like she knew everything and she was making us look bad by always going above and beyond for no reason. My team and I had worked together for 5-6 years so I knew them, their work and their personalities better than anyone else so I took what they said with more seriousness. I also thought that her years of experience were irrelevant; she didn’t have anything beyond a bachelor’s degree (most of us were smart and dedicated enough to get a masters) and her experience was in a different subset of insurance.

HR and my regional vice president stated she had been hired to fill a role for a growing segment of our business and should have functioned as a team consultant. I used her as an associate so it didn’t make waves with the rest of the team. By losing her, we lost clients and leverage in the marketplace. Our sales territory couldn’t afford to lose any more business under my “mismanagement” and the HR was worried about damage to the brand name. During her employment, my director and I had several meetings on her role as she also dotted line reported to him. I had continued to be insubordinate because ex-employee, in my opinion, didn’t fit in and needed to earn her way to what my director had envisioned for her. If her role had panned out, she would have been higher up than me after two years when I had been there for five.

HR told me the brewery beer runs were against company policy and I should have stopped the SnapChats, especially those who had it on their company phones. I disagree that it was bullying because she wasn’t on Snap so if she didn’t see it, how is this bullying? I also don’t know how/if I should have monitored this with my team. My entire team was fired. The reasons for the firings included alcohol at work, even though we were physically at the brewery, inappropriate social media behavior, and not meeting the code of conduct.

I’m not sure the lesson(s) I’m supposed to learn; I feel like I was the scapegoat for a favored employee’s reason to leave. Being dedicated to your work doesn’t mean you can’t have fun at the same time. My former team and I are wondering if we can take action against ex-employee — her exit interview damaged our reputation, our team, and our careers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

From askamanager.com. Original question: Is the work environment I've created on my time too exclusive?

More details:

And the payoff:

Holy poo poo, this jackass. :staredog:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's no way thats real. It's too perfect.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psypop:Jesus loving christ.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like I have a team full of youths and I'm a millennial myself, and we're all close friends outside of work, but I run that poo poo tight and make sure any disputes are settled or worked through without affecting anything.

The result is that we've more than doubled our business and everyone is willing to do extra to help one another because they all like each other. It's fully possible to have an office full of friends and millennials, but you need to clamp down hard on any bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

More details:

And the payoff:

I love this so much. That manager must have a master's degree in Missing The Point studies.
"Hmm, I manage this experienced employee who is a total badass and is great at her job on my team. It would be best for my career to exclude, ostracize, and sabotage her, and all my friends that I manage will think I'm cool for it"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's no way thats real. It's too perfect.

The ability of finance bros to reverse-terraform workplaces into literal business hell culture should never be doubted

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, I can think of a bunch of jobs where it'd be nice to have an older, experienced person around, just because they've seen some poo poo, but this fool went out of their way to run them off.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
*learns of office-wide harassment of only competent employee* This is fine, and not an office culture issue

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah. It sounds like Uber before whatshisface got fired. What a poo poo show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The ability of finance bros to reverse-terraform workplaces into literal business hell culture should never be doubted

The manager was a woman, but being in finance I am very much aware. That could have literally been any number of teams I've been on at my old firm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randaconda posted:

poo poo, I can think of a bunch of jobs where it'd be nice to have an older, experienced person around, just because they've seen some poo poo, but this fool went out of their way to run them off.

Funny enough, I got the most mileage out of hiring college-age people with food service experience. They're used to high stress and won't gently caress around because they're terrified of getting fired for minor offenses.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

canyoneer posted:

I love this so much. That manager must have a master's degree in Missing The Point studies.
"Hmm, I manage this experienced employee who is a total badass and is great at her job on my team. It would be best for my career to exclude, ostracize, and sabotage her, and all my friends that I manage will think I'm cool for it"

But don't you see? They're professional millennials! They just work on a different plane to you, grandpa!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
just gonna take the opportunity to remind everyone how good it is to be a public servant tax thief. never ever deal with this poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Railing Kill posted:

The thread desperately needs to pray to its patron saint, LA Beast, for salvation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyqWAjlLAs

Amen.

What's that german word for when you feel extreme shame for somebody else doing something embarrassing?

I don't get schadenfreude from LA Beast. I get that. I get like, this guy should be in more pain and I feel pain on his behalf or something. Ugh so uncomfortable.

My team found her quietness and her ability to develop sales presentations and connect with each client was very show-off-like.

This has got to be fake. You would just call her a show-off. Nobody would write "her ability to develop sales and connect with each client really pissed me off!" like that. Its too on-the-nose.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Aug 6, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

What's that german word for when you feel extreme shame for somebody else doing something embarrassing?
Schartenfreude: the feeling you get when someone accidentally shits their pants in a way that doesn’t directly affect you.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zaphod42 posted:

Fremdschämen is to feel vicarious embarrassment.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
the correct term is kikkervanger. as in "ich ben der kikkervanger. ich vang der kikkers"

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The manager was a woman, but being in finance I am very much aware. That could have literally been any number of teams I've been on at my old firm.

That actually makes it more believable for me at least. Every woman manager I've worked under has been a pretty darn good manager to me, but an unholy rear end in a top hat to any subordinate women. No idea what the deal is but it's been that way across several jobs in disparate industries.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

ugh that makes my stomach hurt

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

More details:

And the payoff:
Holy gently caress it just keeps going after where you stopped. There was a long email exchange right afterwards and it starts with this delicious "I asked because I thought you'd side with me" tidbit.

quote:

With this letter-writer’s permission, I’m also printing here some of the email exchange that I had with her after receiving this update.

Me: I’m sorry to ask this, but I’m trying to figure out if this is real or not. There’s a lot in here that’s making me question it. You haven’t responded to any of the points brought up in my original answer or in the comments. Why?

Letter-writer (LW): Because I disagree with your points and I don’t want to constantly defend myself. My ex employee made me look bad and I thought that as Ask a Manager you would side with a manager.

Also for more context In the "more details" part the letter writer also posted this in the comments:

The Shittiest Manager posted:

There was more to this that came out after she left:
Her co-workers in her pod had taken pictures of her and captioned them inappropriately on SnapChat-making fun of her weight, her clothes/style, how much water she drank etc. Someone who had seen them had saved them and also complained to HR. When I find out who complained, I want to move them to another team.

We are in insurance/brokerage firm as part of a larger Fortune 500 company. The brewery was owned by a company whose business we were trying to attract. No one ever asked her but just assumed that she would cover for them because she had made statements that she wasn’t a drinker anyway.

The associates sleeping with one another was knowledge across the team by that point but not to me. They did work on the same accounts so they were reporting to one another.

I’m 28 and this was my first management job; I wanted to build a team that would work well with me and share my ideas of a good time so work is fun. If I knew she would have been like this, I would have pushed back on my director not to hire her in favor for someone younger but she had a fantastic background that wowed my higher ups.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
All I can imagine is that Mr Show skit with David Cross playing that insufferable kid billionaire saying, "It's a cool company where people can just hangout, and do whatever!"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

which is probably the whitest sitcom that was ever white.

Randaconda posted:

Perfect Strangers :colbert:

Full house

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The correct answer is Golden Girls.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Don't you talk poo poo about Bea Arthur