Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
How do we define blaspheming the Holy Spirit? I think my Baptist roots defined it as any non-Baptist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
All sins are unforgivable, according to the nature of the Law. Grace works paradoxically - sin remains unforgivable, but is forgiven even as such.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

How do we define blaspheming the Holy Spirit? I think my Baptist roots defined it as any non-Baptist.

I've prayed on this question a lot.

As far as I can recognize, blaspheming the spirit of holiness is to reject, in active thought and deed, the possibility of a holy spirit existing in the world or existing in people. I see it as a counter-Nietzchean, passive nihilism that behaves as if nothing can be beautiful, nothing can be ultimately meaningful. It can be selfish or obsessed with meaninglessness. It must be incompatible with respect for a (or, the) spirit of holiness.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What if we believe things to be objectively meaningless but belief that beauty or goodness can exist through an individual/societal lens?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

WerrWaaa posted:

The problem with having no Baptist pope is there's no one to yell at whoever taught you that.

At its most basic I think blaspheming the Holy Spirit means putting the works of Man above the works of God, usually by saying, "God can't forgive what I've done."

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The problem with having no Baptist pope is there's no one to yell at whoever taught you that.

At its most basic I think blaspheming the Holy Spirit means putting the works of Man above the works of God, usually by saying, "God can't forgive what I've done."

As a wise pastor told our group of youngsters long ago: "If you're worried about that, it means the Holy Spirit is doing His work and that means you can stop burdening yourself with that particular worry."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

What if we believe things to be objectively meaningless but belief that beauty or goodness can exist through an individual/societal lens?

I wonder what it means to you to believe in objective meaninglessness. Individuals (which are, to me, both more important and more interesting that societies) and their minds (or, put differently, their souls) are no less a part of the universe than the trees and the stars. A mind exists nonphysically, but is exists. And it is not a separate part of everything that exists. Your brain matter is generating a new phenomenon, but it's not a separate phenomenon that I'd be quick to separate as subjective versus objective. To paraphrase what someone else said, "The human mind is a part of the universe observing itself." More than that, what I find awesomely special is that the human mind is a part of the universe that feels like it's making choices about itself.

In terms of objectivity, it's true that no one has found a rock of ultimate meaning that answers all questions about the choices we should make. Nor do most people see a dove with supernatural powers, or an outwardly magical Palestinian man that looks completely familiar and yet like no picture you've seen. As far as I can tell, though, there is no way to conclude without making a value judgment that the mind and its perceived ability to consider and make choices are mistakes of the universe.

In your inquiries in this thread, I have never detected a blasphemy. You've asked questions and pressed for meaningful answers, which I regard as a part of the universe that wants to know the truth about itself. For me to really find something as a blasphemy against the (or a) spirit of holiness would have to entail a serious, deliberate, and knowing rejection of the value of any morals at any level. It would be as if the individual denies in thought and action that existence is any better than nothingness or total misery, or that easing suffering is any different than inflicting suffering. It's different from coming to the conclusion that physically, you won't find a measurable property that will really capture the difference between murder and healing. But to blaspheme against the holy spirit is to behave as if there was a real thing as choice, and it makes no difference if one chooses to create death camps or one chooses to say they've been to the mountaintop and seen the other side.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if I would ever meet anyone who I'd seriously consider as a blasphemer of the spirit of holiness. It's beyond ignorance, which the man people call Son of God (and God Itself, if you ask a Trinitarian) said is forgivable. It's willful denial, the kind of thing that a demon like Satan is capable of achieving in a sacred, monotheistic story. What I know is that in the last couple of years, I've endeavored each day to improve upon what holy thing I, as a human and a mortal, can really accomplish: making decisions based on the merits of love. I don't always succeed in my plans. But the goal, or what I see as my function as part of the universe that can decide things, is always measured against love.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 5, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Valiantman posted:

As a wise pastor told our group of youngsters long ago: "If you're worried about that, it means the Holy Spirit is doing His work and that means you can stop burdening yourself with that particular worry."

I prefer one of Twerskis:

"A rabbi came upon a concerned group of students. He asked them what the hubbub was about, and they answered 'Rabbi, we are concerned we are being pursued by the Evil Urge.'

'Fear not', the rabbi answered, 'you are not yet high enough to be pursued by it. For the time being, it is still you chasing it."

E: and unintentional :420: entendre, it has it all :D

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 5, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Double, and completely OT post:

We just held the most bitchin' Moon blót! Our regular gydje, or priestess, was ill with the flu, so the unhinged wife of our circle accountant stepped in. She had us sacrifice around a huge-rear end fire instead of statues of the gods as are customary, and because of other sick leaves I was given the job of representing the direction of south and the element of earth, while she told an allegedly ancient story of how the sun and the moon were chained to the sky and forced by wolves to travel it, then afterwards she told the same story from another perspective, giving her opinion on what the christian retelling said, and what a proper heathen perspective was.

We nearly drowned in a monsoon and I got more than a little dizzy from wood fumes, which just added to the overall experience. People shared some really nice and heartfelt things in the four prayer circles, and then we got crunk and grilled sausages. 10/10 would worship moon again!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The other unforgivable sin is being an out-of-season fig tree.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

docbeard posted:

The other unforgivable sin is being an out-of-season fig tree.

Let's be fair, that tree absolutely wasn't seeking salvation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
new religions
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/08/new-religions/533745/

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Tias posted:

Double, and completely OT post:

We just held the most bitchin' Moon blót! Our regular gydje, or priestess, was ill with the flu, so the unhinged wife of our circle accountant stepped in. She had us sacrifice around a huge-rear end fire instead of statues of the gods as are customary, and because of other sick leaves I was given the job of representing the direction of south and the element of earth, while she told an allegedly ancient story of how the sun and the moon were chained to the sky and forced by wolves to travel it, then afterwards she told the same story from another perspective, giving her opinion on what the christian retelling said, and what a proper heathen perspective was.

We nearly drowned in a monsoon and I got more than a little dizzy from wood fumes, which just added to the overall experience. People shared some really nice and heartfelt things in the four prayer circles, and then we got crunk and grilled sausages. 10/10 would worship moon again!

Interesting, any reason why you guys pick South for representing Earth? I thought usually it's East=Air, South=Fire, West=Water, North=Earth?

Well, Santa Muerte is kinda dope, but I guess she's way too metal to become the main goddess of a mainstream religion. She will def. have a place in a weird new cyber-aztec-Catholic space pantheon - every respectable pantheon needs a god(dess) of death!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 6, 2017

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

Could I ask you guys to pray for me? It's been several weeks since I decided I wanted to start going to church and possibly even get baptized and convert, but my anxiety keeps acting up and preventing me from actually going.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You're in my prayers. And wherever you are, when you acknowledge honestly your anxieties, you are looked on by the Lord.

Also consider that, for all their theological authority on Earth, a church can only baptize you in water. It's Christ Jesus who immerses us in the spirit of holiness, and he dwells in no temple except the human heart.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

You'll be in my prayers. I was in the same situation for years, and it was in prayer that God finally showed me the way through that fear. He hears you, he understands, and he wants you to be with him :h:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rainbow Pharaoh posted:

Could I ask you guys to pray for me? It's been several weeks since I decided I wanted to start going to church and possibly even get baptized and convert, but my anxiety keeps acting up and preventing me from actually going.

Of course! Do you have a friend who attends church (any church, doesn't have to be the denomination you're interested in) who might go with you or bring you to their church as a guest?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and remember, if you never manage to go to church because of your condition, there are saints who were in your situation. There is no barrier to being with God in spirit.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Of course! Do you have a friend who attends church (any church, doesn't have to be the denomination you're interested in) who might go with you or bring you to their church as a guest?

Unfortunately not, I don't really have many friends and none of them are religious.

HEY GAIL posted:

and remember, if you never manage to go to church because of your condition, there are saints who were in your situation. There is no barrier to being with God in spirit.

Do you know of any such saints off the top of your head? I'd be interested in reading about them.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

If reading the Talmud has taught me anything, it's that "Talmudic lawyering" and the loopholes in the Kingdom are proof that the divinity has a sense of humor; there's no better hope for salvation than that.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My mother accompanied me to mass this evening.

Thirteen Orphans: We need to sit in the back.
Mom: Why?
Thirteen Orphans: I'm not receiving today so it's a hassle to sit up front.
Mom: Why aren't you receiving?
Thirteen Orphans: ...You're not Catholic but you're still not supposed to ask...

Caufman
May 7, 2007
A virgin scholastic sits in the back to avoid hassling.

A chad mystic goes up to the priest and gives him communion.

edit: Question, though. What does Kuple e-Half Life Symbol-enoov mean?

Caufman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 7, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
"Mercy, Lord."

Which is really both an answer to your question and my general response to the image.

Numerical Anxiety fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 7, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm the latent anti-Semitism

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Numerical Anxiety posted:

"Mercy, Lord."

Which is really both an answer to your question and my general response to the image.

See, that's much harder to recognize than Misericordia, Dominus.

S...submit to Rome, y'all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SavageGentleman posted:

Interesting, any reason why you guys pick South for representing Earth? I thought usually it's East=Air, South=Fire, West=Water, North=Earth?

Well, Santa Muerte is kinda dope, but I guess she's way too metal to become the main goddess of a mainstream religion. She will def. have a place in a weird new cyber-aztec-Catholic space pantheon - every respectable pantheon needs a god(dess) of death!

I checked my diary and I was in fact north! I can't always determine direction without a compass, so I just asked.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

I'm the latent anti-Semitism
bruh it's from the internet, it isn't latent

Rainbow Pharaoh posted:

Do you know of any such saints off the top of your head? I'd be interested in reading about them.
https://www.amazon.com/Beloved-Sufferer-Revelations-Schemanun-Matericon/dp/0938635875
Schemanun Macaria was unusually small and her body was twisted--nobody knew what was wrong because it was, you know, early 20th century Russia--but she still became a nun, just in her house instead of a monastery.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Caufman posted:

See, that's much harder to recognize than Misericordia, Dominus.

S...submit to Rome, y'all.

It's just "kyrie eleison" in its native script.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It would behoove me to learn the Greek script, but I'm still going to whine about it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

It would behoove me to learn the Greek script, but I'm still going to whine about it.
latin spotted

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, ugh, where does the stereotype about Catholic/Irish guilt comes from? I mean, we do say mea culpas at church, but should we all be suffering from guilt all the time?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

JcDent posted:

So, ugh, where does the stereotype about Catholic/Irish guilt comes from? I mean, we do say mea culpas at church, but should we all be suffering from guilt all the time?

It's the legacy of Augustine's theology regarding original sin and our fallen state. And yes, you probably should feel guilty all the time, but then you should also have guilt about the self-indulgence that guilt is.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

It's the legacy of Augustine's theology regarding original sin and our fallen state. And yes, you probably should feel guilty all the time, but then you should also have guilt about the self-indulgence that guilt is.

And about the pride that inevitably raises it's head when you notice you actually feel guilty about all of that, compared to all those people who do not.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
as for the irish part, it's because penitential manuals originated in ireland and for that reason irish catholicism was famous mostly for being extremely severe. being occupied by the british for several centuries didn't help

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

as for the irish part, it's because penitential manuals originated in ireland and for that reason irish catholicism was famous mostly for being extremely severe. being occupied by the british for several centuries didn't help
and a bunch of the priests picked up jansenism in france

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Wow, I never thought a godless universe could be made to sound so appealing by just 2 sentences.

In all seriousness, that sounds really loving dour. On a scale that I understand but don't get why people who believe in an afterlife and a divine loving God ever would.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

In all seriousness, that sounds really loving dour.
that's protestants; the catholics goth it up with lace and candles and black silk and statues of Mary but she's crying, maybe with blood-red roses in her hands. have you seen the music video for lady gaga's "fernando"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Josef bugman posted:

Wow, I never thought a godless universe could be made to sound so appealing by just 2 sentences.

In all seriousness, that sounds really loving dour. On a scale that I understand but don't get why people who believe in an afterlife and a divine loving God ever would.

You're only getting half of it. The flip side of the coin, which like any mise-en-abyme, never stops turning, is quite humorous. And that's the part that makes it not only livable, but even liberating.

• Locked thread