Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Its funny that you guys are saying summer 2017 sucked so much, because that's been true of the past several summers. Summer 2016 sucked, summer 2015 sucked, summer 2014 sucked. Like every summer for the past 5 years has been full of mediocre-to-bad movies with maybe one or two actual decent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If Jurassic World had a scene of Jimmy Fallon being torn apart by velociraptors I probably would have gone to see that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

It really isn't. Walking has aged horribly.

I disagree. The cgi is dated but it is integrates so well with the real world environments that it is still more believable than jurassic world's cgi. CGI quality is not as important as how well it is implemented.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched the Ghost in the Shell movie that nobody in the world saw. It wasn't really bad. The twist is dumb as gently caress but the production design is good and Takeshi Kitano owns in literally anything he's in so that's good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm at the part where they're in the Jimmy Fallon bubble ride.

It's the only good part in the movie because the kids switch off Jimmy Fallon without laughing at his jokes once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I was suprised to see how poorly the newest Transformers movie did, 250 million budget but only 570 million return.

I know in any other context it would make absolutely no sense to be saying 'only' but you know how Hollywood is.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I watched the Ghost in the Shell movie that nobody in the world saw. It wasn't really bad. The twist is dumb as gently caress but the production design is good and Takeshi Kitano owns in literally anything he's in so that's good.

The production design wasn't really that good, it was flashy but it apes a lot of the original without really understanding how it worked. It really, really reminded me of a film from 2005 called Aeon Flux, which was also a weird sci-fi vehicle based on a well regarded animation for a female lead (Charlize Theron) with a few cool visuals and attempts at deeper meaning that was overall kind of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Yah I was gonna say this. Surprised to see it is a November release, wonder why they put it then if there were reshoots or delays or something. Seems like quite a few summer weekends it could have won the box office easily.

Disney try to stagger releases so they don't compete, Summer already had Pirates 5 and Cars 3 (:smith:)

khwarezm posted:

It really, really reminded me of a film from 2005 called Aeon Flux, which was also a weird sci-fi vehicle for a female lead (Charlize Theron) with a few cool visuals and attempts at deeper meaning that overall kind of poo poo.

I'm a sucker for that stuff. I think it was Aeon flux that had the MTV animated show? Like yeeeeears ago. That was cool.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pirates 5 and Cars 3 (:smith:)

ENDLESS TRASH!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Disney try to stagger releases so they don't compete, Summer already had Pirates 5 and Cars 3 (:smith:)

I'm a sucker for that stuff. I think it was Aeon flux that had the MTV animated show? Like yeeeeears ago. That was cool.

Yes that was it. It was super weird and had a really unique style of ultra elongated characters with super defined facial features. The creator did a pretty cool segment of the animatrix too.

Also tons of weird sex stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ewwww I had forgotten about those already

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blue Star posted:

Its funny that you guys are saying summer 2017 sucked so much, because that's been true of the past several summers. Summer 2016 sucked, summer 2015 sucked, summer 2014 sucked. Like every summer for the past 5 years has been full of mediocre-to-bad movies with maybe one or two actual decent ones.

But those years didn't have excellent winters/springs. Hence the distinction.

I can't remember there ever being a time when February was the top shelf month for movies. We had 8 solid bangers this year.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

HoAssHo posted:

Josh is mostly "fine" but when he's bad he's real bad.

Josh was a big goon, who was a buffoon,
In the Red Letter Media thread,
And when he was good, he was very, very "fine,"
But when he was bad he was horrid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

vermin posted:

Josh was a big goon, who was a buffoon,
In the Red Letter Media thread,
And when he was good, he was very, very "fine,"
But when he was bad he was horrid.

This is a Josh-tier limerick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only good Josh moment us when they do a victory freeze frame and Josh still won't shut the gently caress up

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

My friend asked me if it was "bad" today, and kinda just squirmed and went "meeehhhhhh".
I lol'd in the theater when the reveal was "we put an asian girl's brain in the body of scarjo". after all that white-washing hoopla, they double-down on THAT lmao

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

This is a Josh-tier limerick.

Oh man it really is :cripes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zmej posted:

".
I lol'd in the theater when the reveal was "we put an asian girl's brain in the body of scarjo". after all that white-washing hoopla, they double-down on THAT lmao

Hahah yeah that bit was insane, my GF described it as "next level" racism

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Yes that was it. It was super weird and had a really unique style of ultra elongated characters with super defined facial features. The creator did a pretty cool segment of the animatrix too.

Also tons of weird sex stuff.

is this the animated thing that had like a vignette or short film or whatever where it was like the hero of the day or whatever and it was one guy being a badass, killing that enemy badass, only to be immediately killed by another fresh badass? like in a loop, but with different unnamed badasses killing and in turn being killed

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

oh man just remembered a long unsettling close up of aeon's eye trapping and eating a fly. thats a thing right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as far as i recall it's always the same woman dying.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

XCOM streamer Beagle is for some ungodly reason watching PreRec Youtubes. He just freaked out upon realizing that Jack wasn't using KB+M.

https://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

violentlycitrus posted:

is this the animated thing that had like a vignette or short film or whatever where it was like the hero of the day or whatever and it was one guy being a badass, killing that enemy badass, only to be immediately killed by another fresh badass? like in a loop, but with different unnamed badasses killing and in turn being killed

That was the episode War I think

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

See, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Did her skinsuit rear end look nice at least? That was part of the whole deal with the original :henget:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I thought this was a good critique of GITS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2soHxEN79c

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My thing was: I really the GitS TV series, and I think the franchise has some interesting ideas that a movie could explore with the right script behind it. That said, I set the bar all the way to the floor with the ScarJo movie, because I've no reason to think Hollywood is interested in putting out a movie that....uh, thinks.

With the bar set to the bottom, the Ghost in the Shell movie impressed me. Damning with faint praise? Absolutely. But it must be said anyway. I expected so much worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought this was a good critique of GITS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2soHxEN79c
i was trying to find this when someone said it had good production values cuz that video is a great explanation of why it didn't.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was trying to find this when someone said it had good production values cuz that video is a great explanation of why it didn't.

Instead of adding something new to something old like a cyborg they stitched two different corpses together like a Frankenstein. Putting in the scuba scene reminds me of BvS and how it wasn't a movie just a series of vignettes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Is that the old dude with the revolver? As a non animu, he was the only part of the movie I really liked.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I already know "the twist" of Get Out, is it still worth watching? It looks weird and interesting.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shinjobi posted:

My thing was: I really the GitS TV series, and I think the franchise has some interesting ideas that a movie could explore with the right script behind it. That said, I set the bar all the way to the floor with the ScarJo movie, because I've no reason to think Hollywood is interested in putting out a movie that....uh, thinks.

With the bar set to the bottom, the Ghost in the Shell movie impressed me. Damning with faint praise? Absolutely. But it must be said anyway. I expected so much worse.

My biggest critique of GitS 2017 is that it was boring. The CGI was nothing special, the action scenes were a muddled, uninteresting mess, and a Major origin story was the last thing I wanted out of a Ghost in the Shell movie, so the story did nothing for me.

I don't think it was a bad movie, it was just unappealing to me in mostly every way.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Yug posted:

I already know "the twist" of Get Out, is it still worth watching? It looks weird and interesting.

i doubt you'd like it much

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trabandiumium posted:

i doubt you'd like it much

Why's that?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't think it was a bad movie, it was just unappealing to me in mostly every way.

And that's a totally fair criticism. In my case, all the haters I knew personally were just die hard anime purists. Not the best critics to butt heads with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yug posted:

Yes.

Don't report back with some bullshit about how it's racist to demonize white people or whatever though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Hardcheese posted:

XCOM streamer Beagle is for some ungodly reason watching PreRec Youtubes. He just freaked out upon realizing that Jack wasn't using KB+M.

https://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam

Why the gently caress hasn't Rich made an XCOM voice pack of himself yet anyway

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

My biggest critique of GitS 2017 is that it was boring. The CGI was nothing special, the action scenes were a muddled, uninteresting mess, and a Major origin story was the last thing I wanted out of a Ghost in the Shell movie, so the story did nothing for me.

The Major is by far the least interesting character in GITS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yug posted:

yes. it's more a reveal than a twist and it makes a lot of little things in the movie make sense. it's pretty genius.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't Rich made an XCOM voice pack of himself yet anyway

Only if he says "AT-ST!" when he sees a Sectopod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JB50 posted:

The Major is by far the least interesting character in GITS.

Well not everyone can be Batou and his dog.

• Locked thread